• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 autoupdate is available now!

D-Back

What:
Today (11/17) Bungie Studios and Xbox Live are releasing a free mandatory auto update for Halo 2
This download is free of charge as part of your Xbox Live membership.*

When:
The downloads will be available Wednesday, November 17, 2004 after 3:00pm ET/12:00pm PT.
You may have the download available before this time, but everyone will have access to it by the time posted above.
If you don’t see the download right away don’t panic. Don’t post that you don’t have it yet. It will show up shortly.

Where:
This auto update will be available to Xbox Live members in all countries that Xbox Live is sold.

Details on the downloads:
This auto update will address the slow matchmaking issues that some members are experiencing. In addition, this auto update provides a fix to the issue where certain Television displays were clipping off the sides of the HUD. Finally, this auto update should decrease the “Dirty Disc/Failed to load map" errors that some members are experiencing.

That is all the information that I have at this time.

Thanks for using Xbox Live!

-Its actually out right now for some, it also unlocks the Foundation map for those that have beaten the game but suffered the glitch that prevented them from getting it.

LakeEarth

Matlock said:
Man, Microsoft couldn't even ship a bug-tested Halo 2?

How, might I ask, would they be able to bug tested for when the system has to deal with 50000 people without releasing the game?

Ramirez

Awesome, you have to pay for Xbox live to get patches. I'm more against it now than ever.

You wanna cry a river for us?

The matchmaking has been fast as hell for me today and I haven't d/l anything :p

PhatSaqs

Banned
akascream said:
Awesome, you have to pay for Xbox live to get patches. I'm more against it now than ever.
SBG2monthsfreefull.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This is pretty wack. People who don't play on line should have access to this stuff... The HUD fix especially as it's an aspect ratio issue.

Not everyone has broadband.

Kon Tiki

Banned
akascream said:
XBL patches. :p

Do not see what good the patches will do you off XBL.

Anyway, what usenet is for.

Edit: Ah I skipped over the HUD.

DaCocoBrova

^^^

The HUD for one... Which IMO is the most important fix.

akascream

Banned
Society said:
XBL patches. :p

Do not see what good the patches will do you off XBL.

Anyway, what usenet is for.

This auto update will address the slow matchmaking issues that some members are experiencing. In addition, this auto update provides a fix to the issue where certain Television displays were clipping off the sides of the HUD. Finally, this auto update should decrease the “Dirty Disc/Failed to load map" errors that some members are experiencing.

I'm sure the HUD fix will come on a future OXM disc. Besides, if you can afford an HDTV, chances are pretty fucking good you can afford broadband (or $7 for an OXM mag+disc).

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I'm sure they'll release this badboy update on the OXM disc in the future for those of you non-live / cheapass gamers.

epmode

to the few idiots that think this is a bad idea: would you prefer that bungie does nothing? cause that's how nearly every other company handles dirty disk related errors.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This sucks if its online only (over 90% of your customers don't use live MS!)

Having said that, it is likely to be included on OXM covermounts, like the downloadable content often is.

DaCocoBrova

I realized while playing last night that I don't even like the game all that much, so it's no big deal to me. It's the practice of adding this sh!t after the fact, when they could have easily shipped the game without these issues.

Halo 2 was in development how long...?

akascream

Banned
epmode said:
to the few idiots that think this is a bad idea: would you prefer that bungie does nothing? cause that's how nearly every other company handles dirty disk related errors.

I think its pretty reasonable to expect a higher level of quality control from companies without patch options. Now MS can release buggy software to push thier online "service". Joy.

akascream said:
I think its pretty reasonable to expect a higher level of quality control from companies without patch options. Now MS can release buggy software to push thier online service. Joy.

Yea, when I reached the Phazon Mines I felt that way too.

Kon Tiki

Banned
akascream said:
I think its pretty reasonable to expect a higher level of quality control from companies without patch options. Now MS can release buggy software to push thier online "service". Joy.
I remember a pre-xbox launch EGM article stating that there will be NO patches on games. Xbox HDD was not intended for companies to ship buggy games. I wonder if they still believe that now.

epmode

akascream said:
I think its pretty reasonable to expect a higher level of quality control from companies without patch options.
i agree. but! videogames today aren't what they were 10 years ago. huge games = a much larger possibility for unforseen bugs. you're asking for years of QA time for each game. it's simply not feasable.

personally, i'd rather be able to download a patch than have gta lock up again.

akascream

Banned
epmode said:
i agree. but! videogames today aren't what they were 10 years ago. huge games = a much larger possibility for unforseen bugs. you're asking for years of QA time for each game.

personally, i'd rather be able to download a patch than have gta lock up again.

You think it's reasonable to force consumers to pay for your patches though? It's bad enough they force developers and consumers to use Xbox live for online play. If it's such a great service, why not give developers the option to make non-xbl online games for Xbox?

epmode

akascream said:
You think it's reasonable to force consumers to pay for your patches though? It's bad enough they force developers and consumers to use Xbox live for online play. If it's such a great service, why not give developers the option to make non-xbl online games for Xbox?
you aren't going to catch me saying a single bad thing about xbox live. i love it more than anything ever. hell, i wish pc games could somehow have use a similar system, rather than the mishmash of user-unfriendly competing programs. i'd be glad to pay for that too.

sure, it'd be nice if it was possible to download patches without live, but considering how happy i am with the network, i can't even consider ever being in that position.

anyway, just use the 2 months free card.

Yeah I just downloaded the update, and tried out the Match Making...So much faster. I mean seriously, it's wicked fast and nice now. Thumps up to Bungie!

LakeEarth

trippingmartian said:
I beat it on Normal and it gave it to me.

K, then my friend's game must've suffered the same bug. He beat it and it wasn't unlocked. I'll tell him to get the patch tonight.

Vark

From what i understand unless you're MS, you're not allowed to patch your game without some serious rigamarole. Since Bungie is under the MS flag they can do whatever they want apparently :p

Kon Tiki

Banned
m0dus said:
OH NO! they LIED!

That's it. I say we BOYCOTT the autoupdate, as we DESERVE to play the games with bugs! It's our GOD GIVEN RIGHT! To hell with microsoft changing their stance on something just to better serve customers and folks who demanded it. To HELL with making informed decisions based on real circumstances! SOME GUY SAID SOMETHING DIFFERENT 3 YEARS AGO, AND MY WORLD WILL COME CRASHING DOWN. FUCK YOU BILL GATE$. *throws xbox into closet with gamecube*

Wouldn't better serving their customers be akin to oh i don't know... a finished, polished game?

You missed my point completely. There should be not be a reason to patch games (other then network patches).

jedimike

Vark said:
From what i understand unless you're MS, you're not allowed to patch your game without some serious rigamarole. Since Bungie is under the MS flag they can do whatever they want apparently :p

BS... several games have had auto updates. It's just a fact of life these days. Games are so huge that every bug can't be found without the scrutiny of hundreds of thousands of players puting it to the test.

Ryck

PanopticBlue said:
Sweet, can't wait to get it. Next they need to give us the option of having splitscreen split horizontally.
Switch your screen ratio settings to normal and it will split horizontal.

Top Bottom