• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"[Halo 2] could literally do 5 million units in the month of November alone,"

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter told us, "[Halo 2] could literally do 5 million units in the month of November alone."

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=8235&section=feature&email=

Unclear if he's talking worldwide or not. Lot's more good stuff in the article. Here's some...

his November is going to be one of the most crowded months this industry has ever seen. Tons of great releases are scheduled, but it's pretty obvious which title stands above the rest. And to complicate matters, the Nintendo DS and Sony "PStwo" will launch, leading to many a dry bank account for gamers. With all that's about to hit retail, some games will undoubtedly get overlooked. We break it down.

Pachter believes that this November could see "numbers break records by a lot." Besides Master Chief's latest, Pachter expects Metroid Prime 2, Half-Life 2, The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, Need for Speed Underground 2, WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw, EverQuest II, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Call of Duty: Finest Hour to perform quite well, with several of these surpassing the million mark.

MacDonald also thinks Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal might do very well because it has a large fan base and is already getting "top notch reviews across the board."

Game that may get overlooked
Shoe, however, disagrees; in fact, he believes it's more likely to get lost in the shuffle than many others.

"So far, my favorite fall game that many people will overlook is Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. It's easily overshadowed by titles like Killzone, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Gran Turismo 4, if that's still coming out this year. Up Your Arsenal is a great game, but despite its popular franchise name, it's practically a sleeper hit because of all the other big-name titles releasing around it. I hope consumers don't pass it up."

On the GameCube, specifically, it's possible that a great game like Mario Power Tennis could get overlooked, MacDonald told us. And although Metroid Prime 2 is drawing much interest, it's possible that it too could feel the "Halo effect."
"Only this November could [a game like] Mario Tennis be overlooked, but it's being kind of rushed out so we haven't heard much about it—it's really good though. I like it as a sleeper game some might not notice. Prime 2 is excellent—getting attention, but maybe not as much as it deserves in Halo's shadow," said MacDonald.
Two other games that should be watched closely, according to MacDonald, are Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within and Viewtiful Joe 2. "Joe sold well as a Cube exclusive, but flopped on the PS2. What happens when the sequel comes out for both systems? [And] Prince floundered out of the gate but ended up selling huge numbers worldwide...where does that put the sequel?" pondered MacDonald.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gamestops had 2 seperate preorder skus for the limited edition, but recently we were told that we are supposed to sell to everyone (including those who preordered for the 16th). 5 million copies sounds plausible. everyone who owns an xbox will most likely be buying this game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pachter always has predictions that are borderline crazy. Some other stuff I've recently read from him (in the OPM) is that he strongly believes PS3 will launch at a price of $500, and he bases prediction that off the price of PSX in Japan.

He must be one of those guys who were saying PS2 would cost $700.

Mashing

And monkeys may fly out of my butt.... While that may be great to see, the chance of that are quite low

First of all, I think he's been caught on the hype train. However, If Halo 2 could actually sell this amount...

It would have to be the most significant video game release of all time. There's simply no other way to put it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Is Halo being simultaneously released in Europe, and is he counting that in the 5 million number?

What's a reasonable assumption for the percentage of Xbox owners who will get Halo 2 sometime this year? It couldn't be as high as 40-50% could it? Wouldn't that be about 5 million?

Guileless said:
Is Halo being simultaneously released in Europe, and is he counting that in the 5 million number?

What's a reasonable assumption for the percentage of Xbox owners who will get Halo 2 sometime this year? It couldn't be as high as 40-50% could it? Wouldn't that be about 5 million?

I really think he's only talking about US here. He's never commented on European numbers before and the article is all about this US holiday and possible million sellers and the games that could get squeezed out.

Soul4ger

I honestly think this will do something around one million the first day, especially since a lot of places are going to be open almost 24 hours for it -- around 16 or 18 or so. A lot of the diehards that are camping out for it are getting more than one copy, too, either for LAN events or because they want to have a regular edition and an LE. Should be interesting. Hope it's worth all the hubbub.

Soul4ger

Bristow said:
No game ever will warrant the amount of hype Halo 2 has recieved.

I might be one of the few, but I think Zelda: Ocarina of Time and MGS both lived up to their hype six years ago. And they had quite a bit. Now, Halo 2 might have more, I guess it depends on who you talk to and what you read, but it's definitely feasible. I was never wild about the original, though, so I dunno if it'll be the end-all-be-all for me. But, since I didn't like it all that much, my expectations for the sequel are probably lower than most peoples'. 'Tis an interesting happenstance!

xsarien

daedsiluap
My question is:
How can a game figuratively do 5 million units in a month?

/Tired of the English language getting fragged.

Soul4ger

xsarien said:
My question is:
How can a game figuratively do 5 million units in a month?

/Tired of the English language getting fragged.

No one ever said you had to know English good to be a journalist! ::continues fragging::

I love Pachter's comment on Halo 2:

"It [GTA:SA] is very violent (and includes) shooting cops," said Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "People like being the bad guy. This is a way of acting out a stupid fantasy."

Pachter adds that Microsoft's "Halo 2" is "every bit as violent, but the things that you are shooting don't look like people. They look like space suit guys."

Source: http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=6606441&section=news

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
"It [GTA:SA] is very violent (and includes) shooting cops," said Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "People like being the bad guy. This is a way of acting out a stupid fantasy."

Pachter adds that Microsoft's "Halo 2" is "every bit as violent, but the things that you are shooting don't look like people. They look like space suit guys."

So violence is ok as long as it's not against people that look like you....

Brilliant.

Well, we will see how well Live stands up when everyone that buys Halo 2 and tries to go online and finds out they have to download a day one patch.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Duckhuntdog said:
Well, we will see how well Live stands up when everyone that buys Halo 2 and tries to go online and finds out they have to download a day one patch.

You should play FFXI

Gotta love the poll on Gamedaily :D

By the time December 1 arrives, how many copies will Halo 2 have sold?

2 mil
3 mil
4 mil
5 mil
6 mil
More than 6 mil

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DarienA said:
So violence is ok as long as it's not against people that look like you....

Brilliant.

well good thing I haven't killed any hispanics in GTA yet.

SyNapSe

:lol

These predictions are getting crazy. Halo 2 is going to be the first game to sell 2 million copies in the first 30 days or so and be considered a BOMB BOMB.

SyNapSe said:
:lol

These predictions are getting crazy. Halo 2 is going to be the first game to sell 2 million copies in the first 30 days or so and be considered a BOMB BOMB.

Then my ploy will have been successful :D

Pump it up!!!!

I'm buying two. Which is twice the number of copies of Halo I bought. So by extrapolating the figures Halo 2 should sell like three google copies or something like that.

nitewulf

boy these halo 2 sales predictions just keep increasing.
next: halo2 will sell more than the combined amount of xbox userbase worldwide!

SyNapSe said:

sonycowboy said:
Gotta love the poll on Gamedaily :D

By the time December 1 arrives, how many copies will Halo 2 have sold?

2 mil
3 mil
4 mil
5 mil
6 mil
More than 6 mil

Gamedaily.biz says "Halo 2 may do more than six million units in November!"

Do we have a bidder for 7 million? :D

I think it'll clear 3 million by end of November...in NA alone. 5 million is entirely possible by end of year...worldwide, anyway. Lifetime sales, worldwide, will probably be around 8 to 10. Dropping the XBOX to $99 in the early part of '05 will ensure, at least, that much.

jamesb23

Hey, I wanted to clarify that Pachter did mean the US. We weren't talking worldwide. Is Pachter a little wacky? Yes. Does he give entertaining quotes? You bet. :D

Prine

Banned
it'll easily pull off 2 million in november.

I reckon it'll do 4 million by the years end. Im more interested in how many xbox's it shifts, i think xbox sales could be over 2million in december

Top Bottom