• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Some quotes from the Halo Legends developer commentary, specifically in reference to Origins Pt. 1 and Pt. 2:
“We didn’t just want this to be a recap, we wanted to take the opportunity to really push the story forward than just recall events that had happened, and so there’s little bits of that in here. And we want this to be something that people think about and interpret."

"We want people to think, what does this mean for future games? What does this mean for future fiction?"

"Some of it is a lot more than what it appears to be right now

“The story which Cortana is telling, which is humanity’s continual need for conflict and war."

"The Flood is sort of the heart of the Halo story and things always tend to come around to that

“We’re just making sure that we have it planned out. This doesn’t mean that the next Halo games are going to feature any of the things that we’re hinting at here, definitely these are things that we want to cover in the fiction, and obviously Greg Bear is going to cover some of this in the Forerunner trilogy of novels, but we want to make sure that we understand what the future of the universe is so that we can better understand the past and the present. So, timescale aside, we just want to make sure that everything makes sense in our heads and that we’ve committed it to a plan so that we’re not making things up as we go along – and I think that’s a trap that a lot of franchises can fall into

Now, within that context, may I humbly quote a previous lore rant from a handful of pages ago:

[All Hail the Conquering Stream]: Shadows and Foreshadows

In the Origins videos, we are given a scene in which Master Chief stands before the Gravemind. This is somewhat similar to the scene we know from Halo 2, but... at the same time... it's entirely different.

rwCS2dIh.jpg

He's not ensnared in this scene. He's standing, and free, as if he were conversing on his own volition, and not as a captured audience.

And then...

EoJ74oBh.jpg

...Gravemind gives Chief Cortana's chip. This is an entirely new piece of information that certainly was not in Halo 2, nor is it in any other piece of Halo literature to date. Is this Cortana's estimation of how Chief rescued her? Is this just simply a matter of creative license? Or is this a foreshadowing of something that hasn't happened yet?

naXqkxph.jpg

Chief still holds her chip, as of the current. But...how did he come to have it? The last we see of her chip, it was digitized in the console that Chief had inserted it into. He never had time to remove it, and thus it was presumed to be lost (or am I am misremembering this scene?).

EDIT: Screen grabs:

Here is Chief inserting Cortan's chip into the final console. There is no visible animation of him removing the chip at this point:

IPe4QSBh.jpg

And here is Chief about to remove Cortana's chip, but the console is digitized before he can grab it:

kk3TSgVh.jpg

So where did this new chip come from? Is it possible that Chief will have a rendezvous with a new Gravemind at some point in Halo 5? Could his quest to resurrect Cortana lead him to align with The Flood to suit his own means? Could this possibly be a piece of what drives a rift between Chief and ONI? Perhaps he goes AWOL because they find out The Flood is back, and that a new Gravemind has appearaed.

During Cortana's time with Gravemind, it is very likely that pieces of her, or a copy of her, was assimilated in The Flood's collective conciousness.Could this be a piece of what Halo 5 will be about?

What I took from both of the new trailers is that Chief does something that will be both good and bad, depending on who is viewing the choices made. It will be of great importance, but it will also be of great destruction.

Let's review the text from each trailer:

Locke's Trailer:
TO THE STATUE: "All hail the conquering hero. Let us remember him as our protector, and not the one that gave us... This. As our savior, and not our betrayer. Let us see him forever as you..."

TO CHIEF: "...And not, as you. All hail the conquering hero. The one who was supposed to save us all. But now I must save us... from you."​

Chief's Trailer:
TO THE STATUE: "This... Is this what you wanted? Is this what you were looking for? Was everything you've compromised; everything you've done... Worth it? Was it?"

TO LOCKE: "You've completed your mission, Spartan Locke. Mine... Is just beginning."​

Both videos are nearly mirrored in their progression. Both Locke and Chief first speak to the statue of Master Chief (THE IDEAL), and then they speak directly to the figure laying below the statue (THE REALITY).

This raises some questions:
-What would be the dividing line between being a savior and a betrayer? To what extreme would one need extend to cross it?​

-What does Chief compromise? And why does he question if it was worth doing thus?​

*There's also the other fragment of Cortana that possibly hitchhikes into the Ur-Didact's ancilla repository:

miZapxD.gif

mgRvxH4.jpg

33tn0J9.jpg

Perhaps he needs both pieces of her?

Maybe, just maybe, my bourbon-fueled musings are somewhat near the correct path. Maybe this scene, where Chief is given Cortana's chip by a new Gravemind, is something that has yet to occur after all. And maybe, just maybe, this is part of what puts Chief in the crosshairs.

Coordinates? Date?

Waypoint seems to think it's 6.3.39 and Kholo?

Edit: But that's kind of stretching it. 33.RT.96.3.39 .. hummm

Yeah Kholo was glassed in 2539, so it's possible that he was sent there to report on the aftermath once the area cooled down.

33.RT9 - ?

6.3.39 - March 6th 2539

From Halopedia:
Like all previous colonies lost to the Covenant, Kholo was rendered lifeless by the glassing and most of its population burned to death. The UNSC effectively abandoned the planet as it was consumed in flames, proving to be yet another decisive victory for the Covenant. However, small amounts of human forces remained to establish a foothold on the planet.

In 2559, after the Human-Covenant War had ended in part due to the Great Schism that saw the Covenant split apart, the Shipmaster who had glassed the planet returned to Kholo to seek atonement for his role in the planet's destruction. By this point, Kholo, despite its abandoned state, became a site of minor skirmishes between the UNSC and Kig-Yar, as the two sides fought over recovered Forerunner relics. As of 2559, the UNSC has not initiated any concerted effort to terraform or resettle Kholo.

The CAA Heavy Burden, a former mining vessel converted into an ordnance transport, was damaged during the battle. At some point the ship entered a slowly degrading orbit around a nearby gas giant, which it maintained as late as 2557. The vessel's automated systems continued to function despite the ship's impending destruction. The ship's interior was simulated aboard the UNSC Infinity's training deck as a practice environment for the latter vessel's SPARTAN-IV complement.​

I'd be more confidant if we could see the sigil somehow.. but from that point of view it's impossible. Was Girard working that early? 13 some-odd years before Halo? Seems plausible.

Question.. Lore Aficionados..

In watching the Halo 4 game play again.. why did the Prometheans attack John-117 before he released the Ur-Didact? They we're blue colored, or under the control of the Librarian at that point correct?

Once the Ur-Didact is released, they turn red and he's controlling them.

If they were there as part of the Librarians plan for Humanity to succeed them wouldn't they recognize John-117 and help him or leave him alone? Did they ever explain that?

In watching the Halo 4 game play again.. why did the Prometheans attack John-117 before he released the Ur-Didact? They we're blue colored, or under the control of the Librarian at that point correct?

If they were there as part of the Librarians plan for Humanity to succeed them wouldn't they recognize John-117 and help him or leave him alone? Did they ever explain that?

You were trying to (unknowingly) bust the Didact out, they were trying to stop you.

LordOfChaos

The Didact was manipulating the Infinitys signals to trick John into letting him free at the time. Before the DIdact took over control of them, their prime directive would have been preventing his premature release, and protecting him.

Fuchsdh

The Didact was manipulating the Infinitys signals to trick John into letting him free at the time. Before the DIdact took over control of them, their prime directive would have been preventing his premature release, and protecting him.

That actually brings up a good point. When was he supposed to be released? You'd think a Reclaimer coming up would be all she was waiting for.

You could say that the arrival of the Covenant simply triggered defensive responses from the Knights, but it doesn't seem quite to square with the Librarian's plan (and she didn't seem to have a chance to change it.)

LordOfChaos

That actually brings up a good point. When was he supposed to be released? You'd think a Reclaimer coming up would be all she was waiting for.

You could say that the arrival of the Covenant simply triggered defensive responses from the Knights, but it doesn't seem quite to square with the Librarian's plan (and she didn't seem to have a chance to change it.)

As I was typing that answer I was thinking about that too. With humanity at the stage the librarian planned for (I guess with the Spartan IIs), his natural release couldn't have been long off anyways.

I don't think he was all that aware of what was happening outside his Cryptum at all. I think a lot of the moves made were by Mendicant Bias, in getting the Master Chief there.

His Cryptum was only to be unlocked by a Reclaimer, which is why the Covenant couldn't release him and were basically just milling about until MC shows up and, in thinking he's going to free up the Infinity's signal, unlocks the Didact's Cryptum instead.

I highly doubt MC would have so willingly unlocked the Cryptum if he knew that's what he was being sent in there to do, given that up unto this point, his only knowledge of who Mendicant Bias, the Didact and the Librarian were was from the terminals he found on the Ark.

It was easier for Mendicant Bias to sort of trick MC into unlocking the Didact. But, as we know from the Forerunner novels, the severance of the Domain, which Mendicant Bias was not privy to, kinda borked his whole grand plan.

Fuchsdh

As I was typing that answer I was thinking about that too. With humanity at the stage the librarian planned for (I guess with the Spartan IIs), his natural release couldn't have been long off anyways.

Requiem did scan FUD and Chief, but you'd figure if it decided people weren't ready it wouldn't have opened up at all.
I don't think he was all that aware of what was happening outside his Cryptum at all. I think a lot of the moves made were by Mendicant Bias, in getting the Master Chief there.

His Cryptum was only to be unlocked by a Reclaimer, which is why the Covenant couldn't release him and were basically just milling about until MC shows up and, in thinking he's going to free up the Infinity's signal, unlocks the Didact's Cryptum instead.

I highly doubt MC would have so willingly unlocked the Cryptum if he knew that's what he was being sent in there to do, given that up unto this point, his only knowledge of who Mendicant Bias, the Didact and the Librarian were was from the terminals he found on the Ark.

It was easier for Mendicant Bias to sort of trick MC into unlocking the Didact. But, as we know from the Forerunner novels, the severance of the Domain, which Mendicant Bias was not privy to, kinda borked his whole grand plan.

And "MB did it" I don't think works in this or many of the cases you have suggested :p

Requiem did scan FUD and Chief, but you'd figure if it decided people weren't ready it wouldn't have opened up at all.

My thoughts exactly. His Cryptum was very much passively active, as designed, but it wasn't to open until the right individual showed up to unlock it.

And "MB did it" I don't think works in this or many of the cases you have suggested :p

Ahahaha yes. When in doubt, blame Mendicant Bias. :)

LordOfChaos

Ooh, right, I just remembered, remember the Didact saying something along the lines of "if you haven't even mastered these primitives", in reference to him getting them to change their mood lighting? Maybe the assumption was that once humanity had reached Requiem, they would have the tech level to take over the AIs as well.

Ooh, right, I just remembered, remember the Didact saying something along the lines of "if you haven't even mastered these primitives", in reference to him getting them to change their mood lighting? Maybe the assumption was that once humanity had reached Requiem, they would have the tech level to take over the AIs as well.

"these primitives" = The Sanghelli and Uggoy and Kig-Yar that were present in the room.

In the Didact's quick assertion of what he had awoken to, if humanity had yet to overcome and hold dominance over these other species, which, at the time that the Forerunners and Humanity were at war were subspecies and regressed, then they clearly had not obtained the Mantle.

From Halo Escalation, Issue 16:

Sarah Palmer:
"This armor- this job- has been because of you!"

Catherine Halsey:
"Soiled? I'm the only reason that armor even exists! You can't have it both ways, Commander. Unless, of course, you find the perfect scapegoat. Then spend years rewriting history. Which beings us full circle, back to your master, Osman."

Interesting... Kinda ties in with what's going on with the Hunt the Truth campaign...
Or is it possible that Sarah Palmer is going to get shipped back to ONI with her tail between her legs for now, only to be immediately used as an asset in steering Benjamin down a certain path, when he meets her as this mysterious "Gabriella" on board the UNSC Unto the Breach...

whipihguh

Banned
It's possible
she's Gabriella, but I still think that's it just 343 using a voice actor they already have to merely play her part at this point. Bout that's mainly because I'm sure of how they'd be able to link that to the ARG that easily. How long would she be acting as Gabriella on the UNSC Unto the Breach?

I wonder if
Palmer is going to be as gung-ho on hating Chief as she is with Halsey once ONI labels him a traitor.

It's possible
she's Gabriella, but I still think that's it just 343 using a voice actor they already have to merely play her part at this point. Bout that's mainly because I'm sure of how they'd be able to link that to the ARG that easily. How long would she be acting as Gabriella on the UNSC Unto the Breach?

I wonder if
Palmer is going to be as gung-ho on hating Chief as she is with Halsey once ONI labels him a traitor.

Yeah, I haven't worked out the timing of it yet. Need to flesh out the dates and whatnot and that'll either put the kibosh on it or it will only fuel my speculation haha.

I dunno, but wouldn't it be kind of cool, either late in the game or perhaps in the next game, to have Palmer and Locke working with MC in some fashion. Or perhaps, she becomes another hunter or some other type of foil. Either way... I think they have bigger plans for Palmer than just "Oh eggheads" haha. Jennifer Hale is a fantastic VA, and when she's got some meaty scripts to chew one, she really shines.

Fuchsdh

Palmer isn't about subtlety or subterfuge—I think the idea that ONI would just slap her with a cover identity for a propaganda campaign a little far-fetched :)

Palmer isn't about subtlety or subterfuge—I think the idea that ONI would just slap her with a cover identity for a propaganda campaign a little far-fetched :)

True. But until we can get some further explanation about why Jennifer Hale was brought in*, or until this Gabriella character and Palmer's timelines don't congruently match (we still need to wait for more Escalation comics to be released), I'm gonna speculate. :D

could just be as simple as that they wanted a strong and available VA, which is just as likely!

So I just decided to dive into the book universe of Halo. Been lurking around here for a while and I've been loving the games since the first one. Is there a preferred timeline to follow regarding the books, or should I just read them in the order that they were published?

Toa TAK

Banned
So I just decided to dive into the book universe of Halo. Been lurking around here for a while and I've been loving the games since the first one. Is there a preferred timeline to follow regarding the books, or should I just read them in the order that they were published?
Order published!

Order published!

Three options...

1. Read them in chronological order.
2. Read them in publishing order.
3. Do what you want! Haha

If you go back a handful of pages in this thread, there's nearly a whole page worth of discussion over the book order and what order people like to read them in, or want to read them in. Should be quite helpful! I'll quote some snippets here for ya.

Early Forerunner History:
Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Silentium Rebirth

Pre-Halo:
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol
Fall of Reach

Halo CE
The Flood (basically a Halo CE novelization)
First Strike

Halo 2
Human Weakness
Broken Circle​

Halo 3 ODST
Halo 3
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
New Blood
Hunters in the Dark*​

Halo 4
Halo 4 Spartan Ops
Halo Escalation
Saint's Testimony**
Last Light**
Shadow of Intent**​

Halo 5

* unreleased
** unreleased and timeline placement unknown

Halo Media Timeline

Halo Universe Timeline

These are quite accurate as far as I've been able to tell, and the authors have been good with keeping the documents updated as new media are released. Maybe much more granular than some people want, but a good resource nonetheless to keep things straight in your head.

Agree 100%

Start with The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund. Then play Halo CE.

Outside of how you'd want to tackle the games, a good order would be something like:
The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike

Ghosts of Onyx

Kilo-Five Trilogy (I like to think of it as a sequel trilogy to Ghosts of Onyx, even though they have different authors, which is why I paired them up)
Glasslands
The Thursday War
Mortal Dictata

Forerunner Trilogy
Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium

Stand Alones
Broken Circle
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol
Evolutions

Below is the list of how I would go back through all the main media again. Some of it is very specific as to why, while other aspects of it is just because of what I'd want to be focused to from one aspect of media to another. I've noted specific entries with parenthesis when I feel the entry is either not necessary and/or could be enjoyed at various other places without too much of any issue.

• Halo: the Fall of Reach
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • (Halo: the Flood)
  • Halo: Contact Harvest
  • (Halo Wars)
  • Halo: First Strike
  • Halo 2
  • Halo 3:ODST
  • (Halo: Broken Circle)
  • (Halo: Cole Protocol)
  • Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
  • (Halo: Reach)
  • Halo: Cryptum
  • Halo: Primordium
  • Halo: Silentium
  • Halo: Evolutions
  • Halo 3
  • Halo: Origins
  • Halo: Glasslands
  • Halo: Thursday War
  • Halo: Mortal Dictata
  • Halo: New Blood
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Halo: Forward Unto Dawn
  • Halo 4
  • Halo: Escalation
  • Halo: Nightfall

Hope this helps. If there are questions as to why I chose specific items to be placed in specific locations, ask away :)

Kssio_Aug

Halo MCC was my first contact with Halo! Just finished Halo 4, and concluded all the Master Chief saga! Am much more aware of the Lore after watching the Halo 4 Terminals on youtube and now I'll read this thread. One thing is for certain though... Halo may not be the best storytelling game, but for sure one of the best to introduce such a huge and interesting world!

LordOfChaos

Halo MCC was my first contact with Halo! Just finished Halo 4, and concluded all the Master Chief saga! Am much more aware of the Lore after watching the Halo 4 Terminals on youtube and now I'll read this thread. One thing is for certain though... Halo may not be the best storytelling game, but for sure one of the best to introduce such a huge and interesting world!

Psst, read Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium. Will put Halo 4 in a new context. All pretty short as books go.

Fuchsdh

Making my way through broken circle. Really good book, lots of insight into the covenant.

Prophets are some political assholes

Eh, I think they're pretty sympathetic. They ended up in an alliance where any dissolution of that alliance could lead to their annihilation as a race. Lots of people would do some extreme stuff to keep that together.

Which is where Truth comes in as a problematic character for me.

AYF 001

Eh, I think they're pretty sympathetic. They ended up in an alliance where any dissolution of that alliance could lead to their annihilation as a race. Lots of people would do some extreme stuff to keep that together.

Well I think in the end Truth felt that since the Covenant was falling apart anyway, that he would be willing to sacrifice everything in order to activate the rings and "become a god" as he thought.

daedalius

Oh I totally agree.

I was more talking about how they treat each other! Conviction and excellence, for example.

You know which minor character I wish they hadn't killed off?

Fucking Xytan Jar Watinree.

Just his backstory alone was one of the highlights of GoO for me. Plus the guy was taller than fucking Tartarus and was supposedly the most skilled Sangheili.

Would've loved to see how he matched up against several Spartans.

Lots of potential wasted.

Three options...

1. Read them in chronological order.
2. Read them in publishing order.
3. Do what you want! Haha

If you go back a handful of pages in this thread, there's nearly a whole page worth of discussion over the book order and what order people like to read them in, or want to read them in. Should be quite helpful! I'll quote some snippets here for ya.

Wow, thanks! Greatly appreciated, and man, there's a lot of time to be invested here.

Kssio_Aug

Ok, Ive recently finished for the 1st time, Halo 1 to 4, with MCC. Now I want to understand Halo lore, and want to know what should I look at.

I'm intersted in the books, but since I have too much to read for university right now, I want other things, less time consuming.

I'm thinking about the:
-Halo Lore OT, of course;
-Halo Forward Unto Dawn;
-Halo Nightfall;
-Hunt the Truth podcasts.

Is there anything more I should read / watch / listen? And in wich order?

Thanks a lot.

Ok, Ive recently finished for the 1st time, Halo 1 to 4, with MCC. Now I want to understand Halo lore, and want to know what should I look at.

I'm intersted in the books, but since I have too much to read for university right now, I want other things, less time consuming.

I'm thinking about the:
-Halo Lore OT, of course;
-Halo Forward Unto Dawn;
-Halo Nightfall;
-Hunt the Truth podcasts.

Is there anything more I should read / watch / listen? And in wich order?

Thanks a lot.

There's plenty of stuff to read, but since there's so much, it might be best to read on a subject you're into. What do you dig about Halo that you want to know more about? Humans? Covenant? Forerunner? Spartans?

daedalius

Just read escalation 12, oni sure knows how to play dirty.

Wish the art was better, but I guess its alright sometimes. Those space background shots tho, woof.

Psst, read Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium. Will put Halo 4 in a new context. All pretty short as books go.

Will take a look at them!

Those three Forerunner novels + Halo 4 is money. Everything that happens in Halo 4 is basically a culmination of those novels. I wish they had put more into the game itself instead of it being in the books, but if you read those it fills A LOT of holes.

Making my way through broken circle. Really good book, lots of insight into the covenant.

Prophets are some political assholes

I so greatly enjoyed the book.
It is best when it follows the prophet's political manueverings, and exploration of their homeworld. I'm not sure why there's so much focus on the wreckage in the asteroid belt, but I think we'll come to know the significance of that down the road.

Top Bottom