• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

I will buy Halo 5, because I have confidence 343 can deliver a fun campaign. But I have zero confidence they will deliver a fun or even functional multiplayer suite - they've never done it before, and there's no reason to believe they will now, in my opinion. Halo 5's beta was interesting, but it's just a slice, and not necessarily where I personally want to see the multiplayer go. A step up from 4's for sure, but still I'm hesitant.
Yup that how i think about H5 too.

dwells

FTFY

It excelled, but only if you had read the Forerunner novels, and were privy to some other extended lore bits. The plot was less contained to the game itself than it was more a culmination of these other mediums.

If you went in blind, oh yeah, you had a good chance at having no idea what was happening or why you should care.

If you went in informed, it was one of the most satisfying Halo campaigns yet.
No. If your storytelling in a main entry is reliant on extensive knowledge on a niche in another medium, you've done a bad job.

I went in with a decent amount of knowledge, a good deal more than your average person who plays Halo, and I was lost and unimpressed. That's bad.

Even if you do understand the story and background, there's still all sorts of the issues with dialogue, characters, plot, and so on.

Seems Microsoft has issued cease and desist orders to modders of Halo Online according to team beyond. Dang.

It's like they have no idea how PC works. It's hilarious. I'm waiting for the game to actually release in Russia to watch Microsoft shrugging their shoulders asking "why?" when there are 10x the people playing a modded/"pirated" version of the game outside of Russia. People have been waiting with baited breath for it for almost a decade now. I won't touch that thing with a 100 foot pole, though. It's the opposite of what Halo needs right now. At the very least it'll keep people interested in PC Halo for the next little while anyway until they get off their collective butts and just release MCC for Windows 10 - hopefully. I await the cease and desist letters for them, too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
3. I guess I just prefered the inferred forerunner stories from Bungie. I think the Ancient Humanity angle was kinda dumb. The entire forerunner human conflict seemed stupid too. Could they not communicate with each other? It reads like a bad simplistic folk tale
"yeah we were at war for decades and only found out after the fact that humanity was just running from the Flood oops maybe we shoulda asked" I liked Cryptum. Primordium was a slog.

4. I'm interested in what the Librarian did to Chief also (besides immunity from Composer) but the whole "I planted shit in humanities DNA so that you and the spartan program and Halsey and Cortana would be made and brought here" That was a bit much for me. Way too magic shit. I think the whole "controlled destiny" aspect was better handled with the AI Assembly. Secret assembly of AI's steering Humanity is a lot better of a story and I'd like to see it explored further
These are two of my biggest complaints with the current fiction. I vastly preferred the Forerunner when they were a mysterious, enigmatic backdrop. I wasn't totally opposed to the idea if them being alive and making a return, but the way it's been executed is so utterly uninteresting to me. I immediately tune out when I start hearing about it.

And Chief being infused with DNA space magic cheapens his character and his actions so much. Anyone here seen the series finale of Battlestar Galactica? It feels really similar to me.

daedalius

The terminals in H4, for how important they were, should have been on the main path and easy to find.

Also the fact they "unlocked" on waypoint at the time wasn't the best implementation to watch them on the spot.

And Chief being infused with DNA space magic cheapens his character and his actions so much. Anyone here seen the series finale of Battlestar Galactica? It feels really similar to me.

The whole genesong/genetic memory thing I'm tempted to blame on Dune. Frankie knows Master Chief is the Kwisatz Haderach!

I can semi-buy it on the assumption that the gene combinations are semi-random, and their importance depends on the context, since there is no way to pop out a certain individual in x thousand years. For example, I hope that it's more like these combinations randomly pop up every so often but they haven't yet meant anything Re: the Mantle. For example, the MC universe saving genes in our era would just get you a Medal of Honor winner, likewise Halsey genes would get you a Nobel Prize winner (Marie Curie as proto-Halsey?).

I really hope that the Librarian AI thing on Requiem learned Halsey's name through picking up transmissions and not through her genetic... that would piss me off.

I wouldn't put in the same category about Battlestar yet, which I found personally offensive
(Fuck you athiests and Hindus! There's a God, but only one! Get shit on Shinto! Angels all up in this bizzzaatch!)

daedalius

The whole genesong/genetic memory thing I'm tempted to blame on Dune. Frankie knows Master Chief is the Kwisatz Haderach!

I can semi-buy it on the assumption that the gene combinations are semi-random, and their importance depends on the context, since there is no way to pop out a certain individual in x thousand years. For example, I hope that it's more like these combinations randomly pop up every so often but they haven't yet meant anything Re: the Mantle. For example, the MC universe saving genes in our era would just get you a Medal of Honor winner, likewise Halsey genes would get you a Nobel Prize winner (Marie Curie as proto-Halsey?).

I really hope that the Librarian AI thing on Requiem learned Halsey's name through picking up transmissions and not through her genetic... that would piss me off.

I wouldn't put in the same category about Battlestar yet, which I found personally offensive
(Fuck you athiests and Hindus! There's a God, but only one! Get shit on Shinto! Angels all up in this bizzzaatch!)

I stopped watching Battlestar pretty fast because of the heavy handed religious stuff.

I think you're right about the geas being in people, but not specifically. Obviously the protagonists in COD have the geas in our time.

Ominym

Banned
These are two of my biggest complaints with the current fiction. I vastly preferred the Forerunner when they were a mysterious, enigmatic backdrop. I wasn't totally opposed to the idea if them being alive and making a return, but the way it's been executed is so utterly uninteresting to me. I immediately tune out when I start hearing about it.

I feel similarly to you two. Knowing what I do about Halo 4 then playing through Halo 1-3 again with that knowledge bummed me the fuck out. All the Forerunner/ancient human garbage cheapens the series to such a large degree that I mostly ignore it now.

DNA stuff is a bummer too. Not to mention the cringe worthy Cortana/Chief love story, Captain Andrew "I'm going to be a dick to you for no reason so this other guy looks good" Del Rio, and hot explanations like "these Covenant seem more fanatical than the others!"

I used to give a whole lot of a shit about Halo lore when I was on Ascendant Justice, probably too much, so maybe it's for the better now that 343i has turned me off of it.

singhr1

I think they still are a very interesting species. There is still plenty that we don't know about them.

Karl2177

I stopped watching Battlestar pretty fast because of the heavy handed religious stuff.

I think you're right about the geas being in people, but not specifically. Obviously the protagonists in COD have the geas in our time.

Lelouch vi Brittania is Master Chief's great great great great great grandfather.

Lelouch vi Brittania is Master Chief's great great great great great grandfather.

I'm making this my head canon, and none of you can stop me.

Regarding Del Rio, we've had this conversation before, but while they could have explained it better his behavior does make sense, knowing what we do about him.

They needed another year / better people.
I'm sure none of them wanted the product to ship like it did (single or multi), but there was an agreed / set ship date and (it seems like) they fudged certains things into place to get it out.

An example of such fudging is the chatter a few of their devs (perhaps ex devs now, I can't remember who) about the struggle to end the game. They didn't want it to be a QTE per say and tried a lot of different things.

Tawpgun

It excites me to see what they've done with Halo 5 after the criticism they've received with Halo 4. Hopefully no terminals situation or a depressing QTE ending, but I'm ready for any big changes made to the campaign.
True.
Aside from ODST halo campaign structure has been unchanged. Could use a shakeup

Fuchsdh

I agree that there’s a fine line between adding an interesting depth to the universe, and making it so your character’s actions have been pointless. I trust 343 to avoid going over it, personally, though I understand why people are bothered by it.

The only way Halo does as bad as Battlestar, however, is if the 26th century is actually the ancient past, and humanity has to rebuild in order to create our present, and those guys make the same types of robots that kill them too, and…

(Essentially, it’s really hard to do worse than BSG’s ending. It is quite possibly the worst finale I’ve seen in sci-fi at least.)

As for the Librarian, I think it's better to think of her on Requiem as a dumb AI version of herself (I've seen speculation it's like a durance, but that's never made clear and seems like a thing that they only do for the dead.) She's smart enough to instigate the Librarian's plan and seek out the people she thinks will further those goals.

I hope its a lot more than "some missions are with locke"

On one hand, I think it's cool to accentuate the differences in the characters with gameplay or sandbox differences, on the other hand, we saw how that shafted the Arbiter's playthroughs in Halo 2.

It excites me to see what they've done with Halo 5 after the criticism they've received with Halo 4. Hopefully no terminals situation or a depressing QTE ending, but I'm ready for any big changes made to the campaign.
Considering how few QTEs they planned actually ended up in the game, and the reception to them, I think it's safe to say they would be further reduced or eliminated in H5.

daedalius

343 should get Platinum to do the final boss fight for Halo.

Then let Platinum do Halo game about Arbiter.

This would be amazing.

Ah, but he wasn't killed by it. The pulse merely knocked him backwards into the slipspace portal.

That is true, but it was still pretty dumb. I would have rather had a "good" (metroid prime, Platinum games, etc) boss fight. Just give chief the thruster pack for the fight, and a morph ball powerup :p

343 should get Platinum to do the final boss fight for Halo.

Then let Platinum do Halo game about Arbiter.
45tcOeO.gif

This would be amazing.

That is true, but it was still pretty dumb. I would have rather had a "good" (metroid prime, Platinum games, etc) boss fight. Just give chief the thruster pack for the fight, and a morph ball powerup :p

Halo isn't really built around boss fights though, save for Halo 2- and while they weren't the worst boss fights out there, but they weren't all that good either.

Halo isn't really built around boss fights though, save for Halo 2- and while they weren't the worst boss fights out there, but they weren't all that good either.

Scarab Halo 3. Simple enough to kill, but so many ways to do it. Sandboxy boss fights are the right way to go. And "boss" levels like Warthog Run, Defend Anchor 9, etc. are also really good ways to go.

daedalius

They aren't, but with the right design, I bet they could be pretty damn awesome.

I'd love to see a GOOD boss fight in Halo. And the Halo 2 bosses were definitely not very good. I'd love them to look at the Metroid Primes though, excellent bosses for the most part; and it could figure in with getting new abilities throughout the campaign (if they did that)

I definitely DON'T want them to look at Destiny bosses. What a joke; they are basically all Tartarus bullet sponges.

Scarab Halo 3. Simple enough to kill, but so many ways to do it. Sandboxy boss fights are the right way to go. And "boss" levels like Warthog Run, Defend Anchor 9, etc. are also really good ways to go.

I'd argue that the big setpiece scarab battles are different (and a bitter fit) than what most people consider a "boss fight."

Impala26

They aren't, but with the right design, I bet they could be pretty damn awesome.

I'd love to see a GOOD boss fight in Halo. And the Halo 2 bosses were definitely not very good. I'd love them to look at the Metroid Primes though, excellent bosses for the most part; and it could figure in with getting new abilities throughout the campaign (if they did that)

I definitely DON'T want them to look at Destiny bosses. What a joke; they are basically all Tartarus bullet sponges.

Speaking of, ready/willing to do another Raid come week's end?
image.php

Madness

Metroid Prime would never work. Metroid is based around the idea of weapon-specific/combat specific encounters in a sense. There is no enemy or situation really in Halo where only a certain weapon would work (enemy weak against fire), or you need to explore and find some puzzle etc. Halo, the game play is based around moving forward, and shooting/killing enemies using whatever you have. Sure they could do something like Guilty Spark and the laser etc.

I think there can be some nice changes to freshen up encounters with villains though. But I just can't see anything more than another Tartarus style fight. Maybe some thing like an on rails style section where you chase down Jul M'Dama in a ghost firing at him. You cause him to crash and he hides, a wave of enemies comes, then when it's just him, he's got a jetpack and throwing plasma grenades, and he's flying around. I'm not too worried. I just wanted something better than a QTE. Cortana could only hold Didact for a while which is when his shields are down, and you have a limited time to 4 shot him to take out a quarter health etc. Anything would've been better than the QTE.

daedalius

Speaking of, ready/willing to do another Raid come week's end?
image.php

If I am going to get carried through Crota, sure.

I really don't want to do VOG AGAIN.

It was cool the first time through.

The second time through I was just annoyed I didn't get shit.

Another time and I am just going to be wondering why I'm not playing something more fun.

Metroid Prime would never work. Metroid is based around the idea of weapon-specific/combat specific encounters in a sense. There is no enemy or situation really in Halo where only a certain weapon would work (enemy weak against fire), or you need to explore and find some puzzle etc. Halo, the game play is based around moving forward, and shooting/killing enemies using whatever you have. Sure they could do something like Guilty Spark and the laser etc.

I think there can be some nice changes to freshen up encounters with villains though. But I just can't see anything more than another Tartarus style fight. Maybe some thing like an on rails style section where you chase down Jul M'Dama in a ghost firing at him. You cause him to crash and he hides, a wave of enemies comes, then when it's just him, he's got a jetpack and throwing plasma grenades, and he's flying around. I'm not too worried. I just wanted something better than a QTE. Cortana could only hold Didact for a while which is when his shields are down, and you have a limited time to 4 shot him to take out a quarter health etc. Anything would've been better than the QTE.

You make the level be the boss. The challenge is how to tackle getting to the enemy you need to kill - rather than making the challenge in the health bar of the enemy. That's horrible english, but what I'm saying is look at the Scarab battles more so than the Tartarus battle. When stationary, the scarab is little more than a tower of power with a gauntlet of enemies inside and a target at the end to shoot. Give that tower AI and mobility - and NOW it's an interesting fight. More of this type of thing, please. :)

SaganIsGOAT

During my first play through of Halo 4 I didn't mind the QTE grenade to the chest because as Didact begins his choke lift on Chief, I thought the grenade was going to kill that ability and he couldn't use it anymore. Then the real fight was gonna take place using the entirety of that massive area we just fought in. Then he fell over and off the lightbridge and I just sighed... What could have been.

daedalius

plasma weapons vs shields

projectile weapons vs fleshy bits

melee against a weak point (GROUND POUND)

I'm sure if these 3 things were put together with some interesting mechanics, it would be a fun encounter.

is this too hard for the regular halo campaign player?

Impala26

If I am going to get carried through Crota, sure.

I really don't want to do VOG AGAIN.

It was cool the first time through.

The second time through I was just annoyed I didn't get shit.

Another time and I am just going to be wondering why I'm not playing something more fun.

Point taken.

I guess is doesn't bug me because I always have a blast playing the Vault. I'm more than happy to run that with folks even without the promise of loot at the end. It's the kind of intricate puzzle and multiple player coordination that I've not seen in an FPS that really hits a sweet spot for me personally.

Haven't done Crota yet to be honest, but I got the impression from people it's a bit of a slog, but I guess I'll have to find out myself.

Oh and I think I can grab the Hard checkpoint at the Gorgons from Blue Ninja tonight so you can just real quick jump in to grab those two chests if you so desire.

:)

Point taken.

I guess is doesn't bug me because I always have a blast playing the Vault. I'm more than happy to run that with folks even without the promise of loot at the end. It's the kind of intricate puzzle and multiple player coordination that I've not seen in an FPS that really hits a sweet spot for me personally.

Haven't done Crota yet to be honest, but I got the impression from people it's a bit of a slog, but I guess I'll have to find out myself.

Oh and I think I can grab the Hard checkpoint at the Gorgons from Blue Ninja tonight so you can just real quick jump in to grab those two chests if you so desire.

I will run anyone through Crota on Normal first time no problem. I don't find it a slog at all with the right crew. It's the whole "cheesing" mentality that makes it monotonous. When you do it right, it's a lot of fun. And I have at least 40 Crota clears, half of those as swordbearer. Crota raid reminds me of Portal co-op or something out of a Zelda dungeon. I love it. VoG is better, though.

daedalius

Point taken.

i might feel that way if I didn't already have hundreds of raid clears in WoW and other MMOs under my belt. But hey, I totally felt just like that when I started raiding in 2004.

i might feel that way if I didn't already have hundreds of raid clears in WoW and other MMOs under my belt. But hey, I totally felt just like that when I started raiding in 2004.

At least Destiny has actual gameplay. A solid mechanics foundation, and then the MMO-like stuff built out on top. The problem I've always had with MMOs is the gameplay at the base level, movement, combat, etc. sucks shit and is barely passable most of the time.

Top Bottom