• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

SaganIsGOAT

Its hard not to, there's just so many things.

Annoying mentality

We haven't really talked about it much recently, but with the talk about bosses and such, I wanted to say I hope they don't go in the Destiny direction for them... since everything outside of the raid is a bullet sponge.

I think it just boils down to a flaw most FPS have to try and tackle. Every FPS abides by the INCREASE HP for more challenge moto. I don't see any devs really doing unique boss fights lately. I'm not saying I know how to do one right, but a few ideas off the top of my head are.

-unique movement patterns for the boss
-unique spaces to battle in that encourage exploration
-unique or new ways to use previous mechanics in the game (shooting and movement for example)

-Ryn

Banned
Definitely the lack of story in Destiny.

How did they squander the dinklage? I don't know, but they did.

Man I love Didact's armor.
It's a shame Dinkle didn't tinkle your winkle until you found some shingles to hang on your seagull who likes Pringles and is also bilingual so you can give the Speaker a jingle about your Wingull. That sings.

Didact's armor is power ranger grade material. So good.

Yep. John.. Locke.. It ties in with philosophy, which also ties into the Flood and the postulates of the Gravemind and the endgame for humanity against their unclaimed Mantle.
I got some reading to do it seems.
Not familiar with John Locke in regards to philosophy.

Does HaloGaf ever go a day without complaining about Destiny? Jesus.
Gotta get one in for every day I was hyped :p

Besides if you still like the game our complaints shouldn't bother you...
unless of course there's a niggling doubt in the back your mind that you're not having as much fun as you'd like to think you're having

Fuchsdh

Annoying mentality

I think it just boils down to a flaw most FPS have to try and tackle. Every FPS abides by the INCREASE HP for more challenge moto. I don't see any devs really doing unique boss fights lately. I'm not saying I know how to do one right, but a few ideas off the top of my head are.

-unique movement patterns for the boss
-unique spaces to battle in that encourage exploration
-unique or new ways to use previous mechanics in the game (shooting and movement for example)

Yeah bullet-sponginess in boss fights is an issue, as is the fact that it'd be anti-climactic if it was as easy as other enemies. That's why the sort of "everything's getting thrown at you" combat situations are more effective to me. Boss fights tend to turn into grindfests to me.

While I understand why the QTE was dissatisfying to people, I don't really thing a Tartarus fight would have been any better. Having a bigger combat crescendo and ending it with a cutscene might have been a neater option.

SaganIsGOAT

Besides if you still like the game our complaints shouldn't bother you... unless of course there's a niggling doubt in the back your mind that you're not having as much fun as you'd like to think you're having

I don't have a console to play it with. It just seems that at some point you need to let it go maybe?

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah bullet-sponginess in boss fights is an issue, as is the fact that it'd be anti-climactic if it was as easy as other enemies. That's why the sort of "everything's getting thrown at you" combat situations are more effective to me. Boss fights tend to turn into grindfests to me.

While I understand why the QTE was dissatisfying to people, I don't really thing a Tartarus fight would have been any better. Having a bigger combat crescendo and ending it with a cutscene might have been a neater option.
Halo's combat doesn't really lend itself well to boss fights infortunately due to it's limited base abilities. H5 on the other hand...

I don't have a console to play it with. It just seems that at some point you need to let it go maybe?
I'm really just teasing lol

Everything's already been said about the game that can be. Just gonna hope D2 doesn't repeat the same mistakes. In the mean time though I'm not gonna miss an opportunity to poke some fun if I see it :p

pls ban again
<3

I fucking love Lost, Ryn. haha Happy Lost Day everyone!

So long as they do some crazy stuff with boss battles, I have no problem playing them. But if they're Bungie bullet sponges or a QTE, no thanks.

Madness

Sbwe2sK.jpg

What kind of marketing is this? Gee I wonder which one it'll be. Master Chief is dead, or he's alive and only one is true, but HuntTheTruth to find out.

Sbwe2sK.jpg

What kind of marketing is this? Gee I wonder which one it'll be. Master Chief is dead, or he's alive and only one is true, but HuntTheTruth to find out.

The best kind. The kind that gets people talking about it. The best marketing is the most talked about marketing. Praise. Complaints. Questions. It's fuel to the fire that is the genius of Halo Release Year.

Sbwe2sK.jpg

Fact 3 is true. Because John is both dead and alive. The truth is he was replaced with a clone and the clone died, but he did not. And they knew it would die.

-Ryn

Banned
I fucking love Lost, Ryn. haha Happy Lost Day everyone!

So long as they do some crazy stuff with boss battles, I have no problem playing them. But if they're Bungie bullet sponges or a QTE, no thanks.
I'm actually watching it for the first time. Just finished season 1 lol

It's amazah

Really hope we get a kickass holy shit final boss fight that gives you abilities you maybe get to use in H6.

Schrodinger's John

I think the #HuntTheTruth narrative is really fun and interesting, but there's no mystery to it. John was flashcloned, the clone died, he lived. Anyone who read the books knows that.

But the people in the universe don't, and that's what makes this fascinating.

Fact 3 is true. Because John is both dead and alive. The truth is he was replaced with a clone and the clone died, but he did not. And they knew it would die.

I'd like to change my answer to this.

I think the #HuntTheTruth narrative is really fun and interesting, but there's no mystery to it. John was flashcloned, the clone died, he lived. Anyone who read the books knows that.

But the people in the universe don't, and that's what makes this fascinating.

It's also great for the (very large) number of people who haven't read the books.

-Ryn

Banned
The twist is John has actually been the clone the whole time. He was grown in a Forerunner space bubble where time went faster so he didn't suffer any ill effects from the cloning process. Meanwhile the real John was teleported back in time to the Librarians bedroom where they fell in love and formulated a plan to make sure that humanity would survive and create Space Jesus while the Original brand John faked his own death as a child. Halsey was modeled after the Librarian before the whole hair loss and Voldemort syndrome kicked in so Clone John would be driven to tap dat. Eventually the moment would come when Cortana touched John's nipple, which would activate his Geas that tells him the truth of the his life, the fate of the Prometheans, the origin of the flood and greatest secret of all
slipspace sphincter gateways.

HTupolev

Sbwe2sK.jpg

The twist is that John is a robot. Facts 1 and 2 are both false, fact 3 is true and does not produce a contradiction.

The real hero of Halo 5 is Forky.

The twist is John has actually been the clone the whole time. He was grown in a Forerunner space bubble where time went faster so he didn't suffer any ill effects from the cloning process. Meanwhile the real John was teleported back in time to the Librarians bedroom where they fell in love and formulated a plan to make sure that humanity would survive and create Space Jesus while the Original brand John faked his own death as a child. Halsey was modeled after the Librarian before the whole hair loss and Voldemort syndrome kicked in so Clone John would be driven to tap dat. Eventually the moment would come when Cortana touched John's nipple, which would activate his Geas that tells him the truth of the his life, the fate of the Prometheans, the origin of the flood and greatest secret of all
slipspace sphincter gateways.

anigif_enhanced-15425-1404434094-11.gif

RowdyReverb

I am interested to see the conclusion that the narrator reaches in HUNTtheTRUTH. ONI is the biggest intelligence organization in the universe, right? They should always be two steps ahead of the game. So this solitary reporter starting from scratch shouldn't be finding loose threads in John's history unless ONI wanted him to. I feel like they are leading the reporter to create a certain narrative and I'm curious what it will end up being. It must somehow be bad enough for Locke to be tasked with hunting down MC, and I'd imagine it must eventually make John the villain rather than ONI.

That or I'm just overthinking it and this guy is just smarter and more talented than the combined efforts of ONI.

I am interested to see the conclusion that the narrator reaches in HUNTtheTRUTH. ONI is the biggest intelligence organization in the universe, right? They should always be two steps ahead of the game. So this solitary reporter starting from scratch shouldn't be finding loose threads in John's history unless ONI wanted him to. I feel like they are leading the reporter to create a certain narrative and I'm curious what it will end up being. It must somehow be bad enough for Locke to be tasked with hunting down MC, and I'd imagine it must eventually make John the villain rather than ONI.

That or I'm just overthinking it and this guy is just smarter and more talented than the combined efforts of ONI.

Technically, I think Catalog might have them beat.

But I think you're on to something. The threads that Ben (Hunt the Truth guy) is starting to pull were left deliberately. That way, when he "uncovers" what ONI really wants him to see, he'll be less likely to question it, because he "earned" it.

I do think he'll ultimately end up finding something they actually don't want him to, though.

Fact 1: John is Dad
Fact 2: John is not Dad
Fact 3: Only 1 of these can be true.

Find out after the break.
#huntthetruth
#themaurypovichshow

LiRmaSv.png

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
John is actually just your dad personified in a super human being.

Halo is dad.

Karl2177

The best kind. The kind that gets people talking about it. The best marketing is the most talked about marketing. Praise. Complaints. Questions. It's fuel to the fire that is the genius of Halo Release Year.

Where's Viewtiful and his Holly Michaels gif when you need him?

Madness

Ricochet is GOAT though.

Ricochet is going to be in HCS? It's fun as an amateur thing/gametype, random players, sort of how we can enjoy Grifball, but these are pros with real money on the line. I don't think it will be fun to play, fun to watch at all, especially if it's the same 3 maps. Who knows. What do the pros say?

CyReN

Ricochet is going to be in HCS? It's fun as an amateur thing/gametype, random players, sort of how we can enjoy Grifball, but these are pros with real money on the line. I don't think it will be fun to play, fun to watch at all, especially if it's the same 3 maps. Who knows. What do the pros say?

All the players said no, they added it anyways.

So you don't think this is a good thing?

I can't wait

It's going to be on Warlock, so no.

and more fun.

I really enjoyed Ricochet on Haven, Pitfall and that angular custom map with transparent walls too. I never played it on Warlock but a defender or two would be the answer of a simple defense of that video throwing from bottom mid or anywhere else.

I'm glad to see HCS isn't afraid to change the formula up a little, sure tweaks and map/gametype choices really need a keen and experienced eye managing them.

Top Bottom