• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Does COD MP have anything that would work well in Halo?

An ESRB rating that's worthy of its M status. There isn't a single thing in any Halo game to date that is worthy of being an M rated game. There's more shooting and graphical deaths in Viva Piñata.

Another is the frame rate, although, an XBLA title like Dungeon Defenders can handle 1000+ enemies on-screen at once without a single drop.

TheOddOne

th_wink.gif

Homeboyd

Just a little Halo 4 news and the mood in here changes so quickly...

Holdme.jpg

Cant wait til we get some real news. Suit up, everyone.

Oh and welcome over. Perhaps the mood change is because of you.

I really do hope they are talking about changing multiplayer in way that gets rid of "changes" made in Reach. Like Devo said earlier, just give me Halo 2 and I'll be happy.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Another is the frame rate, although, an XBLA title like Dungeon Defenders can handle 1000+ enemies on-screen at once without a single drop.

KuGsj.gif

I said the exact thing a few hours playing this co-op. Hundreds of enemies, hundreds of explosions, magical effects and projectiles, rain and thunder and a massive boss spewing fireballs. Framerate didn't seem to dip even briefly.

Kudos to Hitmonchan's homies.

FyreWulff

An ESRB rating that's worthy of its M status.

11+-+Cortana.jpg

Rated M for Mature

Serina.jpg

Rated T for Teen

Drop in drop out and better than shit coop netcode come to mind.

Call of Duty doesn't have magically better lockstep networking for co-op, but they do have more people for you to possibly get matched up with within decent range of you.

They probably should have just put a latency test before you go into co-op matchmaking, and not even attempt to match you with people > a certain ping.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I really do hope they are talking about changing multiplayer in way that gets rid of "changes" made in Reach. Like Devo said earlier, just give me Halo 2 and I'll be happy.

Unfortunately, we're just a vocal minority. It's pretty evident that the majority enjoy armor abilities, game types that are outside the realm of core Halo, and other changes.

Hopefully the underlying foundation and mechanics of Halo 4 allow us to have our desired experience without it feeling out of place.

FyreWulff

I doubt they could make something worse than armor lock if they tried

Their failed attempt at changing it would probably rank up there. Because the drain from damaging an AL user is so laughable that I will never waste grenades or sniper rounds trying to knock someone out.

Instead of trying to salvage an AA for modes it didn't work in, they should have just done like Bungie did previously in Halo 2 and Halo 3 and Reach matchmaking, and just delete the AAs from the MM lists they don't work in. At least there's a decent chance that the TU "fixes" will never soil Invasion, because the broken and bugged bleedthrough system would totally break the Elites. It'd be like playing with Blackeye on.

As it is, the AA changes felt like a tweak for the sake of a tweak and that time could have been spent fixing actual bugs, or adding a new menu option that lets you adjust Equipment Usage Drain as a percentage and let use tweak AAs ourselves.

They'll probably do that around the time they finally admit they can't separate bleedthrough from the other TU settings.

You know what would be nice? If you could update your current status on your active roster. Where instead of it saying "Homeboyd903 - Using the Forge," it could be changed to say "Testing a map. Need participants.".

Or instead of "Matchmaking - Searching" it could say "Searching in BTB with a party of 8.". I know some of this info is available if you view the party details, but I often don't want to check every persons status by going into those details. If there was a way to customize it that would appear on your active roster, it would be much more valuable. Perhaps even custom messages. I understand the problem that could create, but as we've witnessed many times before, you can already say whatever the hell you want in a PM anyways.

The way Bungie did that was to re-use the Rich Presence data in game. You'll notice if you pull up the guide, their presence will be the same thing (ie, GAMERTAG - Playing Halo Reach - Matchmaking - Searching", hence why sometimes if Live falls behind, you'll see someone in a party that says something like "Playing Free Bird on Expert Guitar" because Live is still reporting them playing RB3. It'd probably be up to MS to allow that to happen.

Eff that. That shit's hard. Hard is a good challenge without being frustratingly difficult.
No way, Delta is great. Enemies speaking Korean, no crosshairs, limited binocs. Sure it's challenging but it's so rewarding when you meticulously plan something and everything just falls into place.

Homeboyd

You know what would be nice? If you could update your current status on your active roster. Where instead of it saying "Homeboyd903 - Forge - In a Game," it could be changed to say "Testing a map. Need participants.".

Or instead of "Matchmaking - Searching" it could say "Searching in BTB with a party of 8.". I know some of this info is available if you view the party details, but I often don't want to check every persons status by going into those details. If there was a way to customize it that would appear on your active roster, it would be much more valuable. Perhaps even custom messages. I understand the problem that could create, but as we've witnessed many times before, you can already say whatever the hell you want in a PM anyways.

Armor lock is not a problem, armor lock in Team Slayer is a BIG PROBLEM.

They should have kept it to BTB and Invasion. An intersting idea which is badly implemented, history of Halo: Reach.

Armor Lock in anything but BTB is a problem. It's a pause button. As for your Halo 2 comment, it doesn't need to be Halo 2 but it needs to go back in that direction. The mobility in H2 was fucking perfect all other issues aside.

Their failed attempt at changing it would probably rank up there. Because the drain from damaging an AL user is so laughable that I will never waste grenades or sniper rounds trying to knock someone out.

Instead of trying to salvage an AA for modes it didn't work in, they should have just done like Bungie did previously in Halo 2 and Halo 3 and Reach matchmaking, and just delete the AAs from the MM lists they don't work in. At least there's a decent chance that the TU "fixes" will never soil Invasion, because the broken and bugged bleedthrough system would totally break the Elites. It'd be like playing with Blackeye on.

As it is, the AA changes felt like a tweak for the sake of a tweak and that time could have been spent fixing actual bugs, or adding a new menu option that lets you adjust Equipment Usage Drain as a percentage and let use tweak AAs ourselves.

They'll probably do that around the time they finally admit they can't separate bleedthrough from the other TU settings.

I'm sure they'll leave Invasion as it is, I'd be more worried about the nerfle being an overpowere killing machine.

FyreWulff

I'm sure they'll leave Invasion as it is, I'd be more worried about the nerfle being an overpowere killing machine.

It'd really affect Invasion WAY too much.

- Elites playing with Black Eye skull on
- Once nerfles unlocked, elite teams would just choose the nerfle loadout
- Camo nerf makes it harder for Elites to infiltrate on first phase
- Humans get 85% DMR (0% when crouching) on boneyard first phase.. shooting gallery
- Sword clash removal would make the third phase sword loadout even more powerful
- Once you'd get the scorpion, Elites wouldn't be able to counter it with AL

So it'd be hell on earth for Elites in the first round of Invasion, a mediocre from there on out if they manage to somehow get past it. Yeah, how about no. First round ragequitting would skyrocket.

Still bitter that people don't have to spend 10 hours every day for a year playing Reach to get to Inheritor like you did?
Apologize for shoddy maintenance some more. And 343 Industries breaking the credit limit has nothing to do with them breaking the economy with custom challenges.

Overdoziz

Banned
Apologize for shoddy maintenance some more. And 343 Industries breaking the credit limit has nothing to do with them breaking the economy with custom challenges.
They're credits that can be used for nothing else but grow your internet schlong (rank) or buy armory pieces that are all unlocked at around sergeant rank anyway.

Why do you care so much?

I'm gonna be that guy, but that doesn't look very good. Very low-budget-esq.
Reason why? It looks much better than RE:ORC. The first few moments gave me Resident Evil 2 vibe and it looks like they will merge the plot line of RE1-3 with RE4-5. If you are talking about the technical aspect, it looks good for me.

Edit.: All I can hope is that the Leon part plays like a Resident Evil. The other parts look a lot faster paced in terms of gameplay. But I can live with that.

Edit. 2: But I didn't mean the game itself, I was talking about the trailer. It is long, it showed enough and doesn't reveal any big story stuff except for one thing. But 343i can avoid it easily.

MrBig

Credits were broken in the first place. Who cares if you break a broken system?

TheOddOne

Reason why? It looks much better than RE:ORC. The first few moments gave me Resident Evil 2 vibe and it looks like they will merge the plot line of RE1-3 with RE4-5. If you are talking about the technical aspect, it looks good for me.

Edit.: All I can hope is that the Leon part plays like a Resident Evil. The other parts look a lot faster paced in terms of gameplay. But I can live with that.

Edit. 2: But I didn't mean the game itself, I was talking about the trailer. It is long, it showed enough and doesn't reveal any big story stuff except for one thing. But 343i can avoid it easily.
I was talking more about the game feel, the trailer did it's job. To me Resident Evil 5 on the technical side looks way better.

I was talking more about the game feel, the trailer did it's job. To me Resident Evil 5 on the technical side looks way better.

Are you a resident evil fan? I'm not and that trailer Hyper posted did nothing to hype up a non fan like me.

The next Halo 4 should Hype up everyone, EVERYONE!

Gui_PT

Are you a resident evil fan? I'm not and that trailer Hyper posted did nothing to hype up a non fan like me.

The next Halo 4 should Hype up everyone, EVERYONE!

Man you don't like anything that's cool. Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls... GAWD Y U H8 LIEF?

I'm not a fan of RE either

Guys, have you seen the Resident Evil 6 unveil trailer? I hope Halo 4 is going to get a similar trailer.
Ahaha wow. They almost had me with Leon being in there. But then the rest of the trailer. No thanks Capcom, no thanks.

Is that what Resident Evil fans actually want? That's not scary at all with explosions everywhere, crazy acrobatics and ridiculous mutant powers. I won't call myself a fan of the franchise but I love the shit out of Resident Evil 4, in my top 10 games of all time no question. 5 did nothing for me and this did nothing for me either.

"Your Spartan now has a random chance of tripping and falling to the ground."
Oh god, did Masahiro Sakurai join 343?

MrBig

No they were not, and what a fallacious argument.

It is a system that rewards being in a game. Not participation. Not being good at a game. Not being skillful.

Maybe they achieved... something (?) with the system but I certainly don't know what it is. Certainly not for the people who are good at what they do. Just the people who play it the most.

It has to be the worst point based system I have ever seen. Even CoD or BF3 don't just give you points for simply being in a game, but rather on merit.

If you feel like you've accomplished something by collecting meaningless spacebucks to fill up a meaningless bar that raises a non-merit based rank by simply pouring hundreds of hours into a game then I guess that's great too.

Rather than giving me a reason to play the game like ranks in H2 and H3 did, credits are just another point of contention.

Ahaha wow. They almost had me with Leon being in there. But then the rest of the trailer. No thanks Capcom, no thanks.

Is that what Resident Evil fans actually want? That's not scary at all with explosions everywhere, crazy acrobatics and ridiculous mutant powers. I won't call myself a fan of the franchise but I love the shit out of Resident Evil 4, in my top 10 games of all time no question. 5 did nothing for me and this did nothing for me either.
As a person who had a lot of fun with RE5, I'm going to enjoy this one too. But you are right the Leon part is the best part of the trailer and looks a lot like the previous RE. The latter part looks more like a Gears clone. Overall It'll be a better ride than CoD. :p Otherwise I won't buy Capcom games at Day 1. After a month I will pick it up for garbage price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom