• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Wind Waker was a great game but not a great Zelda game. Gameplay was slower than the past ones and wasn't really what we were asking for. Plus, it looks like bloom is going to absolutely ruin it.

am i doin it rite guise

How are maps in Halo 4 designed for jetpacks?
Two things I'd guess: 1. Make sure any place a jetpack user can go can be reached by alternate non-jetpack methods (ramps, jumps, man-cannons), and 2. Making strong high ground positions exposed on at least a few angles (like the rooftops on Complex).

I still think the argument against jetpack here is an argument against all AAs, or an adherence to map flow that isn't relevant to Halo 4. Halo 4 doesn't start players off completely equally, and predictability is not a core tenet of its design, neither is the flow that comes from static spawns. Its a different game, with different rules. Applying the standards of the older games doesn't make sense, especially when focusing on a single element in isolation, like the jetpack.

Tawpgun

I still think the argument against jetpack here is an argument against all AAs, or an adherence to map flow that isn't relevant to Halo 4. Halo 4 doesn't start players off completely equally, and predictability is not a core tenet of its design, neither is the flow that comes from static spawns. Its a different game, with different rules. Applying the standards of the older games doesn't make sense, especially when focusing on a single element in isolation, like the jetpack.

So what you're saying is, its a bad game by design.

u4iX

So what you're saying is, its a bad game by design.

tumblr_lgmugqWAUh1qa9yvvo1_500.gif

kylej

Banned
WW is a great Zelda. People complain Zelda is too formulaic, then they do something slightly different and people complain it's not traditional enough. Outside of the overworld, WW is very traditionally Zelda.

And really, no future game will ever stand up to OoT. OoT is the impossible game. That game gives me the same feeling I get when I listen to Endtroducing or look at Guernica or whatevs. OoT is every single person on that development team making the game of their lives, combined with a million different little variables coming together to make something that can't be replicated. What's mindblowing to me isn't that Nintendo released something as flawless as OoT, it's that the people responsible did it again after Mario 64.

Shitpack wouldn't be nearly so bad if you couldn't fire your weapon. 343 figured this out for Thrusters, not sure why they didn't just add some handles for the sake of reason and be done with it.

jetpackjrffn.png

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
WW is a great Zelda. People complain Zelda is too formulaic, then they do something slightly different and people complain it's not traditional enough. Outside of the overworld, WW is very traditionally Zelda.

I just had to giggle because of how closely this related to Halo. People said Halo was too formulaic, they changed it and now it's not traditional enough.

orznge

Banned
Two things I'd guess: 1. Make sure any place a jetpack user can go can be reached by alternate non-jetpack methods (ramps, jumps, man-cannons), and 2. Making strong high ground positions exposed on at least a few angles (like the rooftops on Complex).

it makes sense if you still hope that the Halo series could produce a new game where things such as positioning, map control, and physical dexterity are significant elements of the game's design

And really, no future game will ever stand up to OoT. OoT is the impossible game. That game gives me the same feeling I get when I listen to Endtroducing or look at Guernica or whatevs. OoT is every single person on that development team making the game of their lives, combined with a million different little variables coming together to make something that can't be replicated. What's mindblowing to me isn't that Nintendo released something as flawless as OoT, it's that the people responsible did it again after Mario 64.

dude it's so sad that it takes like 24 hours to get into the first dungeon in a bunch of the new Zelda games lol

Trasher

51688387f6a1d59e860ab6c4f2a334b38bf1e3a4_m.gif

Jetpack's fine in campaign but replace it a double jump in multiplayer for god's sakes. If you really want to emphasize vertical movement, use mancannons. That, or add in a Grapple Beam and just add specific "nodes" that it can be latched on to rather than flinging yourself around everywhere like piderman.

orznge

Banned
I think I mentioned this before but having a jetpack in the game would probably feel a lot less shitty if players were more agile

Halo 1 = OoT = Smash 64 (only makes sense over Melee if you play 64 competitively)

what's up everyone

lolololololololol hahahahahah

Hi.

Fotos

Jetpack's fine in campaign but replace it a double jump in multiplayer for god's sakes. If you really want to emphasize vertical movement, use mancannons. That, or add in a Grapple Beam and just add specific "nodes" that it can be latched on to rather than flinging yourself around everywhere like piderman.

I don't understand why they don't just take out Jetpack in competitive Multiplayer but keep it in custom games and campaign. Like Invincibility in Halo 3. Although it would be difficult to do this with the addition of Custom Classes.

That would be a lot better but it would still break the flow of the map.
True, but I have far more issues with people flying through the air shooting and grenading me than anything else. I'm okay with someone looking to gain a height advantage if it puts them at a larger risk of getting killed while doing it.

Fuchsdh

Its even worse now because of instant respawn.

My slayer KD is terribad because I play too agressivley now due to the instant respawns.
I like being able to play more aggressively, but yeah if I'm having a bad day it certainly makes me play worse :p

Edit 117 pages for the 50pp master race

This would be fine by me, as I only use it as a mobility perk, not so much in direct combat. And as you mention that would put it directly in line with sprint and thruster pack.

I agree, then you could test increasing the mobility of the Jet Pack with Thrusters as part of your base traits. I don't think there would've been as much complaining with the current Thrusters+Sprint as a natural progression to Halo's movement after 3.

LosDaddie

Banned
I've been playing more objective gametypes than I did in previous Halo games. So my K/D ratio is the lowest it's ever been for a Halo game...not that it was ever good to begin with. But yeah, I play aggressive anyway, and with instant respawn (which I do like), it hasn't been pretty. :lol

True, but I have far more issues with people flying through the air shooting and grenading me than anything else. I'm okay with someone looking to gain a height advantage if it puts them at a larger risk of getting killed while doing it.

I tend to find the jetpack already puts the user at a greater risk. It's loud, and as soon a player starts to go vertical, it's like a big "SHOOT ME" sign.

I just had to giggle because of how closely this related to Halo. People said Halo was too formulaic, they changed it and now it's not traditional enough.

Indeed

Sprint sucks because it makes people sprint
And sprinting stops people running and jumping.

It makes makes maps almost twice as big

It lets people escape death

WW Remake? Cosmo?!?!?!?!

My 360 can no longer read any discs. Bummed.

Edit: But getting shot negates Sprint.... How can you escape esides using the base speed?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Woooooooooooow 343 hooked up THC BIG TIME for their tournament coming up.

That twitter feed better be nice from now on! lol

Top Bottom