• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Madness

Its the greatest samurai who lets his sword rust in its scabbard.

You should try team throwdown though... Would be nice to read what you think about the playlist and how it can be improved. Be careful, a lot of people quit out sometimes and it does get a bit frustrating getting paired up with randoms.

OT: Welp. Time to go dark from all BioShock Threads.
Supposedly Leaked Intel Has Just Started In GameSpot Forums and has spread through GAF.
Halo 4 didn't matter about leaked spoilers but no way in hell it'll happen that I'm gonna get spoiled with this Infinite game.

Tunavi

Banned
OT: Welp. Time to go dark from all BioShock Threads.
Supposedly Leaked Intel Has Just Started In GameSpot Forums and has spread through GAF.
Halo 4 didn't matter about leaked spoilers but no way in hell it'll happen that I'm gonna get spoiled with this Infinite game.
the end reveals that the entire game was a dream and you wake up on a plane, which then crashes into the ocean.

the end reveals that the entire game was a dream and you wake up on a plane, which then crashes into the ocean.
lucid-dreaming-inception-totem.png
GAF Isn't Real
Tunavi=Mindfuck
Rip Halo

Omni

Day 12 without playing Halo 4: Today I woke up with a smile on my face. I also planted a flower and adopted three orphans.

beli343

IHaveIce

Banned
Plot hooks? Dun read below if you haven't read ze book.

Aside from the second Librarian and the IsoDidact (who probably died), they closed pretty much everything else. Kinda bothers me that the Forerunner went to another galaxy and found... well... nothing. At the end of the book the domain is destroyed, the last precursors are gone and the Forerunners are wiped out.

What's left to go on to?

They had a wonderful storyline that they could have explored over the trilogy - The Precursor's return and judgement in regards to the mantle. But for some reason (for better or worse) they've killed off any chance of that happening, as well as any bigger threat that could have existed in future games (without pulling something completely random out of their asses).

Can't wait to only fight humans and elites in Halo 5! Eh

I really hope that I'm proven wrong, but IMO, it seems like the story 343i are going to tell is going to be really... dull... and full of Halsey hate.

Ok questions.

The precursors are completly wiped out? What is with other graveminds? Primordials? true flood? Nothing scary or new threat revealed?

Man if this is true, I don't even bother with the campaigns anymore..
If this ends up being true I will get your ass banned. :(

Does anyone have any good gametype/maps set up for classic/legacy play?

I'd really like to try some customs with these settings and see if it's as good as i think it would be.

ElRenoRaven

Just letting everyone who entered know. I picked a winner for the hardcover copy. They've been PM'd and once they get me their details I'll officially announce the winner.

That said now it's foreign Halogaf's chance to get in on the love. This contest is open to anyone that is outside the US. As I said to get this prize you'll need an Amazon.com account because my friends the winner of this one will get a kindle copy of Silentium. Yes you too will get Silentium but for for Kindle.

That out of the way let's get to the rules.

You must be from outside the US.
You must PM me saying you want in by Friday at 11:59PM Pacific time.

That's it. Simple huh? Since that's 2AM my time I'll be announcing the winner when I wake up on Saturday morning after I of course PM the winner the code to redeem the copy.

Omni

Ok questions.

The precursors are completly wiped out? What is with other graveminds? Primordials? true flood? Nothing scary or new threat revealed?

Certainly seems that way. The Librarian went to a nearby galaxy to where they thought the Flood originated from and found nothing. Well, they found ancient ancient Forerunners and a massive fleet... plus Precursor structures. But no actual Precursors or Flood. The book gives the impression that the remaining Precursors were killed off in the Forerunner-Precursor war and either by the IsoDidact or the Halos. Will start reading again tomorrow to see if I missed anything, but I think that's about right.

No new threats even hinted at. The book actually closes that saga quite nicely. Hell, if I didn't know any better with the end of Halo 4/Spartan Ops and Silentium, I'd be under the impression that the series is almost over; There really aren't too many looming questions. It's all down to civil war and crap like that.

Maybe a plan to reinvent the series for next gen maybe?

But I wouldn't give up just yet. I'm sure 343i are working on something exciting.

Fuchsdh

Ok questions.

If this ends up being true I will get your ass banned. :(

Answer: we don't know.
The Precursors of ancient times seem to be gone--killed by the Forerunners or essentially turned into a primitive form of the Flood humans found as a final "fuck you". It's still possible that they remained outside the galaxy--we know the blast reached at least part of their extragalactic origin, but not all.

It was the last book in a trilogy, so it was mostly interested in paying off some plot points within its books and without--we finally learn the question and context that 343GS tells Chief he's had time to ponder, way back in Halo CE. We get a satisfactory reason for why the Didact is so damn angry when he wakes up, etc.

In terms of hooks for future games, the fate of the IsoDidact (aka the cool non-crazy one) is still left unanswered, and 343GS clearly thinks the Librarian is alive, despite knowing about her intended one-way trip to Earth, so there's that. The present nature of the Flood itself is unknown--is it just a 'mindless' assimilation machine, or is it still acting out the Precursor's orders to test and uphold the Mantle, albeit in a perverted way?

One thing that left me a bit confused is I supposed that the Domain was the reason Cortana managed to get Chief and her out of the Mantle's Approach. Now I'm not sure how she did it besides spacemagic.

Omni

Random edit. But wow. No singleplayer DLC for Tomb Raider. It's all going to be focused on multiplayer... because you know, that's why people bought the game.

:\

Day 12 without playing Halo 4: Today I woke up with a smile on my face. I also planted a flower and adopted three orphans.

beli343

I haven't played Halo 4 in a while and I don't miss it. That makes me sad.

With that said, I have never been more in love with the fiction. Really enjoy Silentium at the moment and I will be most likely picking up the books. I don't see myself picking up a new Xbox until Halo 5.

Karl2177

I thought the "Karl" from the Simpsons was Homer's gay assistant. Nonetheless, my hair is perfectly feathered this morning and I am quite attractive, thank you.
Thanks to PsychoRaven for doing the contest. :)

Also, I have a few codes that I'm going to be handing out around 4-6PM CDT tonight, so stay tuned for that.

I thought the "Karl" from the Simpsons was Homer's gay assistant. Nonetheless, my hair is perfectly feathered this morning and I am quite attractive, thank you.

Also, I have a few codes that I'm going to be handing out around 4-6PM CDT tonight, so stay tuned for that.

Pics now.

TheOddOne

You might be thinking of Mr. Burn's assistant Mr. Smithers. Aka Elzar.

tumblr_m3rpisInGx1rvtxbko1_500.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Karl's just boasting because he lives in the best city ever, with a college that's about to whoop up on Notre Dame in the tourney.

Karl and I live in the same town.

kylej

Banned
I haven't read a gott damn thing about Bioshock Infinite since it was announced so I wanna stay clear of spoiler shit. I thought Bioshock was overrated, let's hope this is better.

Fuchsdh

Karl's just boasting because he lives in the best city ever, with a college that's about to whoop up on Notre Dame in the tourney.

Karl and I live in the same town.
It's kind of sad, I was reading the paper the other day and they had a graphic with all the college teams on it--when I saw Iowa the first thing that popped in my head was "What's Deadly Cyclone's avatar doing in the newspaper?"

Silentium discussion. I haven't read the books so some things probably sound stupid.

Is it possible that the remaining precursors are extragalactic and are just waiting, or hid in a pocket dimension or some bullshit? I feel like they're going to pull a Mass Effect and when humanity rediscovers Precursors, they'll reveal themselves as a final test of sorts.

Also, the Forerunners went extragalactic and found... ancient Forerunners and a massive fleet? What the fuck? Am I reading that wrong or is that one of the biggest potential sequel hooks ever? Unless they're primitive ones, of course, but then the fleet bit wouldn't make sense.

I haven't read a gott damn thing about Bioshock Infinite since it was announced so I wanna stay clear of spoiler shit. I thought Bioshock was overrated, let's hope this is better.
Going to look at reviews and go from there? Or wait a while and get it when the hype has died down?

no bullets hans

Neo Member
Answer: we don't know.
The Precursors of ancient times seem to be gone--killed by the Forerunners or essentially turned into a primitive form of the Flood humans found as a final "fuck you". It's still possible that they remained outside the galaxy--we know the blast reached at least part of their extragalactic origin, but not all.

It was the last book in a trilogy, so it was mostly interested in paying off some plot points within its books and without--we finally learn the question and context that 343GS tells Chief he's had time to ponder, way back in Halo CE. We get a satisfactory reason for why the Didact is so damn angry when he wakes up, etc.

In terms of hooks for future games, the fate of the IsoDidact (aka the cool non-crazy one) is still left unanswered, and 343GS clearly thinks the Librarian is alive, despite knowing about her intended one-way trip to Earth, so there's that. The present nature of the Flood itself is unknown--is it just a 'mindless' assimilation machine, or is it still acting out the Precursor's orders to test and uphold the Mantle, albeit in a perverted way?

One thing that left me a bit confused is I supposed that the Domain was the reason Cortana managed to get Chief and her out of the Mantle's Approach. Now I'm not sure how she did it besides spacemagic.

This is gonna get fun with all the spoiler tags. Is there a spoiler-friendly discussion thread someone can point me to?

I think The Precursors will always be a threat in the form of the Flood. When you couple the scope of the Forerunner's war with the Flood with the end of Spartan Ops and the possibility that all Forerunner artifacts are on the cusp of discovery, that's a lot of open room to get into trouble. I mean, if Flood samples survived on all the Halos after their firing, then its safe to assume Flood survive on every Forerunner installation where the Flood had previously be contained.

I liked the closure with Spark, but it hints at his madness, which we obviously see played out. He says that line to Chief, but is he talking to himself? Does he suddenly confuse the Chief with the IsoDidact? His memory is stripped away as the rings are fired, so its possible he doesn't remember that the Librarian went to earth to die. Maybe he just remembers she was going to Requiem to stop the UrDidact and that's how the UNSC gets there in the first place. That's what I assumed, anyway.

I hadn't thought about the Domain and Cortana. I understood the Domain as being destroyed when the rings were fired so the UrDidact wouldn't have had access to the Domain when he awoke, anyway. I just figured she was using spacemagic (lol) to encase Chief in hardlight.

More verdicts on Silentium? Worth it?

Also saw this in the Gears Thead, hmmm.

But my issues are

The game seems so ridiculously ADHD/Corny. Like I fucking hate the character skins and lack of locusts. It just makes everything seem like a complete cluster fuck. In the past games you could tell if you were getting flanked based on if they sounded human or like a Locust, and that's completely out now.

- The tug of war aspect of the game that makes Gears what it is appears to be gone. That intricate aspect of running through assymetrical maps in order to make a decision on boomshot or torque, perhaps grab frags, etc. THIS IS WHAT GEARS FUCKING IS. The game is ADHD now. Everyone running around in their fruity fucking rainbow suits dropping from heaven.

My question is--who were these changes made for? It couldn't have been for the competitive community. We didn't ask for two pieces, no locusts, non symmetrical maps or primaries.

The casuals sure as fuck didn't want to have to choose between primary weapons, only to get destroyed by shotgunners while they try to mow them down with a lancer, or to get gunned down from range while trying to get a handle on the shotgun.

yo

fuck

no bullets hans

Neo Member
Silentium discussion. I haven't read the books so some things probably sound stupid.

Is it possible that the remaining precursors are extragalactic and are just waiting, or hid in a pocket dimension or some bullshit? I feel like they're going to pull a Mass Effect and when humanity rediscovers Precursors, they'll reveal themselves as a final test of sorts.

Also, the Forerunners went extragalactic and found... ancient Forerunners and a massive fleet? What the fuck? Am I reading that wrong or is that one of the biggest potential sequel hooks ever? Unless they're primitive ones, of course, but then the fleet bit wouldn't make sense.

Hard to say. It suggested that for millions of years the Precursors changed shape and form at will, so their conversion into the Flood was a planned move. It's pretty wide open if they want to bring them back in some form or another. You're right though, it would be Mass Effecty.

So, the Librarian went extra galactic and found a small planet of Forerunner basically living in exile. The ancient fleet was totally useless, more or less. I mean, its not like the Covenant or UNSC are going to find them and bolster their forces with them...unless they want to use them as garbage to crash into a planets surface.

Anyway, the ancient Forerunner destroyed all the Precursors except the one, the prisoner at Charum Hakkor...and they did so out of cruelty, they wanted to leave one a live, forever, to suffer for chosing humanity to carry the Mantle over the Forerunner who believed it was theirs to carry.

So the Forerunner on the planet I understood as being originated by some Forerunner who refused to rejoin society after that atrocity. Like, that was their penance and they are the ancestors of the current exiled Forerunner.

Top Bottom