• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Omni

All this talk of Halo 2 makes me want really want a Halo 2: Anniversary. I won't even care if it comes out a year premature.

FyreWulff

ah those were the days. I never really ran into cheaters, maybe because I got live in October 05 and it wasn't as bad then.

But it's a shame that Halo 2 modding automatically became associated with cheating, there were a lot of cool mods that came out of it. Oh well.

A day in the life of an early Halo 2 player:

Start game

1. Are we dying 5 seconds in?

2. Check for spartans running 100mph across the map.

3. If on Burial Mounds, rush Beam and destroy the hog attempting to launch the bomb out of the map.

4. If on Headlong, rush and destroy Banshee to prevent the flag from being carried into the skybox.

5. Check for Warthogs with no passenger rushing at your base.

5b. Stand in front of base entrance so dummy glitched invisible Elite can't make it in and grab your flag.
5c. Have Wraith sweep back and forth in front of your base to splatter/move away the dummy glitched Elite.
5d. Scan map for Elite punching air repeatedly hidden off in a corner. Kill this Elite.

6. Prevent team from getting near Certain Spot so they can't drop the ball/bomb through the map after scoring.

7. Do not let flags get dropped near walls, because they will be grabbed through them. Flag runners will be going for the wall placement 90% of the time, so you can pretty much just set up in front and prevent it.

8. Patrol for players standing somewhere hidden. They are more than likely dummy-glitching-via-standby. Kill them ASAP.

9. If on Turf, control Med Tent to prevent other team from escaping into the skybox.

10. If on Relic, stand near your porter exit and assassinate everyone crouch-jumping through the closed porter entrance.

11. If a Plasma Turret is flying around the map, it's time to just go play some Melee.

12. BONUS OPTION: If you're being spawned on Relic with just an Oddball in your hands, stay in the game. The game will eventually create so many Oddballs that the modding host will be kicked out of the game. Mop up his team and claim your win.

I just realized something.

Given that PS4 looks to be the graphical powerhouse much like the PS3 of this generation, I have a feeling no amount of Corrine Yu wizardry will be able to match it if they still want Halo to have a significant feature set. So what do they do?

343 gives Halo a snazzy new coat of next-gen Durango paint, but focuses on the gameplay and improving customization so that they adopt the mantle given to them by Bungie as a gameplay-over-graphics company rather than continue their current design philosophy evident with Halo 4.

Pop

Haven't played halo in months and I'm still depressed over how halo is being treated.

To be fair I wasn't expecting anything huge to be done by 343i, I have no faith in them with halo. I can't take them serious enough to care.

Halo is headed down a lonely path in my eyes, only more time will tell.

I just realized something.

Given that PS4 looks to be the graphical powerhouse much like the PS3 of this generation, I have a feeling no amount of Corrine Yu wizardry will be able to match it if they still want Halo to have a significant feature set. So what do they do?

343 gives Halo a snazzy new coat of next-gen Durango paint, but focuses on the gameplay and improving customization so that they adopt the mantle given to them by Bungie as a gameplay-over-graphics company rather than continue their current design philosophy evident with Halo 4.

lol next Xbox is just a 360 confirmed. Durango will have plenty of juice.

--------------------

So, we'll be up to 14 playlists in MM as of Monday? Disappointing to see the MM vision die so quickly, and as the players dwindle, the more lists the worse the MM experience becomes in terms of connections, skill matches, and the very unlikely event of seeing DLC.

Speaking of the DLC maps, why aren't they implemented into the base playlists more? Monolith has Team Regicide and King in the DLC playlist, so why isn't it used for those gametypes in the base playlists?

Wonder if 343 had DLC outsourced so they could work on a Halo demo for durango. What else could they be doing?

Also going to pax east friday+satuday

Wonder if 343 had DLC outsourced so they could work on a Halo demo for durango. What else could they be doing?

Grunt Lunch Rush Simulator 2013 is a 1080p 60fps XBLA launch title for the Durango.

I just got the best idea ever.

Tawpgun Throwdown
Map: Monolith
Gametype: Dominion
-Personal Ordnance Enabled
-Scattershot / Sticky Detonator starts
-All players spawn with x2 Overshield, 125% movement speed, 110% jump height
-All players have a Speed Boost effect for increased FOV

I need something Halo related for my office, but it has to be something that doesn't scare away any potential clients.

Any ideas?

I'll make a modified version of the Mantle logo if you want to make some coasters or something, no kidding. :lol

480px-Main-Forerunner.png

Well they are obviously working on Halo 5.

I seriously doubt they are at a point where they have something to show off though, unless it's tech demos, but I'm really a fan of those. Just show games.

If you see something Halo at the Xbox unveiling it's surely a Halo 2 HD.

ElRenoRaven

A day in the life of an early Halo 2 player:

Start game

1. Are we dying 5 seconds in?

2. Check for spartans running 100mph across the map.

3. If on Burial Mounds, rush Beam and destroy the hog attempting to launch the bomb out of the map.

4. If on Headlong, rush and destroy Banshee to prevent the flag from being carried into the skybox.

5. Check for Warthogs with no passenger rushing at your base.

5b. Stand in front of base entrance so dummy glitched invisible Elite can't make it in and grab your flag.
5c. Have Wraith sweep back and forth in front of your base to splatter/move away the dummy glitched Elite.
5d. Scan map for Elite punching air repeatedly hidden off in a corner. Kill this Elite.

6. Prevent team from getting near Certain Spot so they can't drop the ball/bomb through the map after scoring.

7. Do not let flags get dropped near walls, because they will be grabbed through them. Flag runners will be going for the wall placement 90% of the time, so you can pretty much just set up in front and prevent it.

8. Patrol for players standing somewhere hidden. They are more than likely dummy-glitching-via-standby. Kill them ASAP.

9. If on Turf, control Med Tent to prevent other team from escaping into the skybox.

10. If on Relic, stand near your porter exit and assassinate everyone crouch-jumping through the closed porter entrance.

11. If a Plasma Turret is flying around the map, it's time to just go play some Melee.

12. BONUS OPTION: If you're being spawned on Relic with just an Oddball in your hands, stay in the game. The game will eventually create so many Oddballs that the modding host will be kicked out of the game. Mop up his team and claim your win.

Wow that's nuts. I honestly never experienced any of that in Halo 2. Course I stuck to slayer and team slayer. Guess I just got damn damn damn lucky.

FyreWulff

Wow that's nuts. I honestly never experienced any of that in Halo 2. Course I stuck to slayer and team slayer. Guess I just got damn damn damn lucky.

I pretty much went and hid in Team Training when I could. They were all over the ranked playlists, but generally stayed out of Team Training. The downside is people would quit out when that playlist gave them an Objective gametype.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I pretty much went and hid in Team Training when I could. They were all over the ranked playlists, but generally stayed out of Team Training. The downside is people would quit out when that playlist gave them an Objective gametype.

The best was listening to my Xbox to see if the map being loaded was off the HDD or not because the DLC maps were the ones that could be modded.

Fuchsdh

And even with all that it was still a more fun more better game than Halo 4!
Ok I have to call that one out.

I really hope the smaller maps push more people to get the DLC. Would love an FFA DLC playlist but I just don't want to see it go the way of Crimson.

Hitscan, minimal bloom and a 3x scope break it - especially on Halo 4's bigger maps. The CE pistol had spread, a 2x scope and travel time. They aren't even comparable.

Plus the aim assist on the DMR is very high.

I find it funny how normal FFA that's been the standard for four games and 11 years is now considered 'Pro' short for 'professional' which means you only play it if you're a professional. A normal run of the mill gamer would hate normal FFA because they're not professional.

At least fiesta FFA doesn't have instant respawn. In fact it's gradually being phased out of everything bar Infinity Slayer and BTB. That's positive.

Shame BTB doesn't have a 'pro' variant though (read: BR starts, no instant respawn, no Plasma Pistol/Grenades on spawn and objective gametypes).

Madness

Plus the aim assist on the DMR is very high.

I find it funny how normal FFA that's been the standard for four games and 11 years is now considered 'Pro' short for 'professional' which means you only play it if you're a professional. A normal run of the mill gamer would hate normal FFA because they're not professional.

At least fiesta FFA doesn't have instant respawn. In fact it's gradually being phased out of everything bar Infinity Slayer and BTB. That's positive.

Shame BTB doesn't have a 'pro' variant though (read: BR starts, no instant respawn, no Plasma Pistol/Grenades on spawn and objective gametypes).

Yup. And it's frightening to think that some people consider infinity slayer to be classic halo, and that something as simple as equal starts and static on map weapons are now termed 'pro'.

They can never change it as well. Look how up in arms some folks get if you mention removing the gauss cannon, tank, possibly removing the DMR. I've read a few topics on gamefaqs where people rage at the fact doubles pro has no radar, because they simply have forgotten to play the game without knowing where everyone is at all times.

When you spoon feed players free power weapons, the ability to sprint for an unlimited time, the ability to shoot across the map, to use jetpack to fly, etc. They'll become used to it and always demand they be spoon fed.

Tawpgun

343, take the maps from Throwdown and put them into reg matchmaking. pls and thanks.

random global ordnance sucks.

Monolith looks fucking perfect, both in design and in art. Good skybox, and the look of the Skybox actually extends into the playspace. On top of that it has clear red/blue callouts and symmetry.

Landfall looks kinda cool, it may be a lot of fun.. It sort of reminds me of Turf meets Longbow or something. Artistically it has a very nice Skybox and some well designed areas, but it does suffer from that strange generic white UNSC building blocks look.

Skyline might be a ton of fun TBH, and it has the best skybox.. but it has the most fucking generic looking playspace. Why couldn't they try to adopt the look of the art into the playspace? Instead we get the fucking bland, reused white UNSC building blocks all over the place without anything cool to actually look at where we are playing. Its fucking underwhelming. Its also hilarious since all the buildings in the skybox are not the plain white color and look completely different.

I'll take bland playspace over artistic clutter.

I'm honestly still not completely sold on Destiny's style - it just looks so... Bungie-like. If we get a faction that's a bit more futuristic or Tron-like similar to the Forerunners/Prometheans I'll be happy, but the all-too-common opposites of a clean, futuristic and/or militaristic human faction against a more skunkworks, "junk-punk" faction just seems so uninspired now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm honestly still not completely sold on Destiny's style - it just looks so... Bungie-like. If we get a faction that's a bit more futuristic or Tron-like similar to the Forerunners/Prometheans I'll be happy, but the all-too-common opposites of a clean, futuristic and/or militaristic human faction against a more skunkworks, "junk-punk" faction just seems so uninspired now.
I share sentiments, but I don't think they *need* a futuristic-looking race, or that's any better than some more organic and humanoid looking races like The Fallen, who are essentially more rogue-ish Elites.

I think the art style definitely leaves something to be desired as it is quite similar to what Bungie has done with Halo, but we haven't seen much yet so I'm holding out.

Ryaaan14

Banned

I don't want to see anything shoehorned in for the sake of diverse art. If it fits the story, that's the way it should be imo.

Madness

I'm honestly still not completely sold on Destiny's style - it just looks so... Bungie-like. If we get a faction that's a bit more futuristic or Tron-like similar to the Forerunners/Prometheans I'll be happy, but the all-too-common opposites of a clean, futuristic human faction against a more skunkworks, "junk-punk" faction just seems so uninspired now.

Aren't the guardians the tron like group? They get to use the weapons of the 'traveler' etc. I don't know, I actually like it this way. Besides, it's the first in the series, we don't know all the factions, we don't know who attacked humanity and reduced them to what they are now.

I'm sold on the universe and story, I'm not sold on the gameplay. I don't want to play with friends all the time, it's not always better to play with others, I don't want to be 'connected' to the world 24/7. I really need to understand the gameplay better. If it's just some MMO/grind and dungeon fest to get better equipment, meh. I mean I know it's not Halo, but I don't know, I'm not into the whole guild/clan stuff. Maybe the 'journey' like aspects would be good, where you could help some random and then go off on your own.

IGN:
- Majestic Map Pack: Landfall walkthrough.
- Majestic Map Pack: Monolith walkthrough.
- Majestic Map Pack: Skyline walkthrough.

Monolith looks fucking perfect, both in design and in art. Good skybox, and the look of the Skybox actually extends into the playspace. On top of that it has clear red/blue callouts and symmetry.

Landfall looks kinda cool, it may be a lot of fun.. It sort of reminds me of Turf meets Longbow or something. Artistically it has a very nice Skybox and some well designed areas, but it does suffer from that strange generic white UNSC building blocks look.

Skyline might be a ton of fun TBH, and it has the best skybox.. but it has the most fucking generic looking playspace. Why couldn't they try to adopt the look of the art into the playspace? Instead we get the fucking bland, reused white UNSC building blocks all over the place without anything cool to actually look at where we are playing. Its fucking underwhelming. Its also hilarious since all the buildings in the skybox are not the plain white color and look completely different.

Tawpgun

It's a humanity recovering from the fall of the golden age.

Makes sense to me.

Computer

*clicks video of skyline* First thing I see is a jetpack + sword kill. Then the 343 dude says that camo is really good on this map. Why 343 why do you do this?

Nebula

Oh OBVIOUSLY.

Jesus the map actually looks like it will play well, and to be honest I did get a more classic feel from it than any other map in the Halo 4 repertoire. The amount of complaining in this thread just fucking baffles me.

Halo 4 is looking more promising and playing better than it was on release and you guys are still bitching.

I was referring to the guy saying Infinity Slayer felt like classic halo. While I should have been more specific, you shouldn't have assumed I was directing my post towards the map either.

Tawpgun

Oooooooh my gooooooood the new achievements are awful.

Encouraging PV and camp use? Pulse grenade double kill? 343 what is wrong with you.

In Majestic DLC matchmaking, assassinate an enemy who's in zoom mode.

In Majestic DLC matchmaking, get a Double Kill or higher with one Pulse Grenade.

They're all pretty bad but WOW at these.

Shit cmon. It's like they refuse to learn from mistakes. To make matters worse, its supposed to be in Majestic DLC...

y5hP3.gif

I just...you guys...why would...but they said...I thought...I...343...how could...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom