• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

You can kill someone with a Pulse Grenade? lol

I actually got a double kill with a pulse grenade once. It was the most incredibly sheer luck action ever in a Halo game. I wanted to make a video clip, upload a render clip, and share it with the internet, both those features have been removed from Halo.

That achievement list is some newly invented tier of shit.

Part of the use of achievements is to get players to explore the game. In the last set, I actively went after the Mantis and started to learn its strengths and weaknesses and how to use it effectively. Most people have ignored Pulse grenades because they are new and unfamiliar, and people who give them a try are most likely going to be ineffective while everyone else enjoys the benefits of the familiar grenades. Setting an impossible achievement like this one promotes players exploring this ignored section of the sandbox.

Also, a pulse grenade is an instant kill if it expands over someone who has no shields.

Fracas

#fuckonami
No, I only did Mine to get the poster, i will probably cancel it once they announce They have preorder for next gen

Ah ok. I want to preorder for the poster, but I know Gamestop employees rely heavily on preorders, and I'd feel like a dick for cancelling.

Although if I can preorder for 360 then switch to PS4 or Durango later, I'd be ok with that.
I think I share your problem :(

Is Halo the only exclusive you're tethered to on Xbox? If so, don't let that keep you from the PS4.

Risen

Part of the use of achievements is to get players to explore the game. In the last set, I actively went after the Mantis and started to learn its strengths and weaknesses and how to use it effectively. Most people have ignored Pulse grenades because they are new and unfamiliar, and people who give them a try are most likely going to be ineffective while everyone else enjoys the benefits of the familiar grenades. Setting an impossible achievement like this one promotes players exploring this ignored section of the sandbox.

Also, a pulse grenade is an instant kill if it expands over someone who has no shields.

Well that's very glass half full of you.

I commonly hear of developers using achievements to encourage players to explore different features of the game, but encouraging anything that intentionally alters the way you would normally play the game (absurd sandbox and action specific achievements) is an unquestionably terrible idea.

Ah ok. I want to preorder for the poster, but I know Gamestop employees rely heavily on preorders, and I'd feel like a dick for cancelling.
They get credit for taking them, but only the person who processes the cancellation gets penalized. So pre-order with the good employees and cancel on the shitty ones.

Those achievements are fucking embarassing.

Also 343 my GF wanted me to thank you guys last night, she says now that Halo sucks she gets to spend a lot more time with me. So from her, thanks 343 industries.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is Halo the only exclusive you're tethered to on Xbox? If so, don't let that keep you from the PS4.
No, PGR is, which I am equally as attached to.

And it's kind-of hard but the 720 seems to be MS' biggest push ever into making new IPs. As usual, I will wait and see, but Sony has definitely made a really good effort into making me want to break away from the Xbox ecosystem by showing they care for the gamer. I can't afford two consoles though, so it's going to be 2006 all over again trying to vaguely predict what will be better in the long run.

I commonly hear of developers using achievements to encourage players to explore different features of the game, but encouraging anything that intentionally alters the way you would normally play the game (absurd sandbox and action specific achievements) is an unquestionably terrible idea.
I don't know that it always is. I enjoyed learning to use the Mantis last time. Learning to use Pulse Grenades is a lot easier when everyone else is doing it too. I don't think it's as hard and fast a rule as you're making it out to be.

I got all of the Crimson achievements playing the list by myself and I had a blast.

Mayyhem

I hate Halo 4 but the new maps look great and Team Throwback is fun. This is what was needed on Day 1. I think I'll try and get back into H4 now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Lol I wish I had a few hundred bucks to blow. Go into Gamestop and buy something.

"Would you like to preorder anything from us?"

"I WANT TO PREORDER EVERYTHING, MAKE IT RAIN MOTHERFUCKER"

It is for me. I've been itching for a PS3 for a long time now for the Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, and other exclusives.
They're pretty cheap if you know where to look; you shouldn't miss out on those titles.

I mentioned it yesterday, but the social aspect of 360 is what's keeping me with Xbox as my main console. If my friends were to move to PS4, I couldn't resist. I'm going to try to get both, but I don't know if I can justify ~$1000 for new consoles.

Caja 117

They get credit for taking them, but only the person who processes the cancellation gets penalized. So pre-order with the good employees and cancel on the shitty ones.

So what Happens if the shitty employee also process your new preorder, doesnt this balance out the previous cancellation?

Caja 117

Those achievements are fucking embarassing.

Also 343 my GF wanted me to thank you guys last night, she says now that Halo sucks she gets to spend a lot more time with me. So from her, thanks 343 industries.

Ja, maybe this was 343 real plan for Halo, more time with that significant other, the perfect valentine gift.

The only thing that will keep me from buying the netbox if it has the no preowned game feature.

I also wouldn't want to end up Buying a PS4 because I really dislike that controller.

What is this I don't even.

Using the mantis effectively involves not getting close enough to have to rely on the stomp attack.

And this part of the sandbox isn't ignored. Pulse grenades are great for defensive setups and channeling player movement, but are terrible offensive tools. The ONLY people that get killed by them are terrible players or the occasional freak accident. Tying an achievement to getting kills with them (and a frickin' double kill at that - an almost implausibly stupid scenario) is just artificially manipulating the use of the sandbox, not encouraging underused assets. If they were truly more useful than frags or plasmas, people would have been using them on purpose already.

I don't know that it always is. I enjoyed learning to use the Mantis last time. Learning to use Pulse Grenades is a lot easier when everyone else is doing it too. I don't think it's as hard and fast a rule as you're making it out to be.

I got all of the Crimson achievements playing the list by myself and I had a blast.

Agree to disagree.

This is not that relevant, but half the Crimson achievements were bugged anyways, and gave you the achievement for doing something that wasn't the description.

Nebula

Tying an achievement to getting kills with them (and a frickin' double kill at that - an almost implausibly stupid scenario)

Getting some Halo 3 Two for One flashbacks here. All luck, minimal skill, lots of rage when it looks like it's about to happen, and someone sponges.

Good times.

1361481777663_zps37584d9a.gif

Boom

J10

Banned
They saw that nobody was using Pulse Grenades in their loadouts, so naturally they created a near impossible achievement for using them. Maybe they are hoping players will unlock the hidden wonders of the Pulse Grenade in the process of chalking up some more meaningless gamerscore.

But what's going to happen is people will form boosting parties, get the achievement in a few minutes, and then go back to never using them again.

Getting some Halo 3 Two for One flashbacks here. All luck, minimal skill, lots of rage when it looks like it's about to happen, and someone sponges.

Good times.
That was actually the first thing it reminded me of. I got mine on accident on Snowbound trying to splaser a ghost when some other random started hijacking the vehicle as my shot went off.

Other than boosting, people are only going to get this through sheer luck. Nothing else.

Ken

Kynan mentions that he uses the Boltshot on Landfall to catch people around corners. If the developers find that acceptable then I doubt we'll never see a Boltshot nerf. I wonder of those people will ever figure out how a Halo sandbox should be balanced?

I don't see the problem here.

Can't wait til people can directly ask the people that made Halo 4 why it's so shitty and have them truthfully respond. When do you think that will be?

Nebula

That was actually the first thing it reminded me of. I got mine on accident on Snowbound trying to splaser a ghost when some other random started hijacking the vehicle as my shot went off.

Other than boosting, people are only going to get this through sheer luck. Nothing else.

Got it on 4 accounts myself. One in tunnels on Snowbound (think most people got it here) and one on the upper floor of Construct from ramp side lift to gold lift. Can't remember the others.

Gordon

They saw that nobody was using Pulse Grenades in their loadouts, so naturally they created a near impossible achievement for using them. Maybe they are hoping players will unlock the hidden wonders of the Pulse Grenade in the process of chalking up some more meaningless gamerscore.

But what's going to happen is people will form boosting parties, get the achievement in a few minutes, and then go back to never using them again.
Pulse grenades are easy to get kills with. That achievement is a piece of cake. The only reason pulse grenades look weak is because nobody knows how to use them offensively. There's a good reason you only get 1 without grenadier. I highly recommend using them to mop up when you need to reload. If your target's shields are down, it'll kill them with the initial 'deployment' blast. Basically a backwards power drain.

It hasn't dawned on you how asinine it is to suggest players deshield an opponent and stop shooting to throw a grenade - a grenade which is far easier to dodge that a hitscan rifle.
Where did I tell you to intentionally stop shooting? I said they are good for mopping up if you need to reload. They're also useful for clearing players from behind cover - in particular thin cover, because they can clip right through. You can also noob combo with them.
I would not, however, recommend using a rifle to strip shields and a grenade to finish as a rule. That would be quite silly.

J10

Banned
Pulse grenades are easy to get kills with. That achievement is a piece of cake. The only reason pulse grenades look weak is because nobody knows how to use them well. There's a good reason you only get 1 without grenadier. I highly recommend using them to mop up when you need to reload. If your target's shields are down, it'll kill them with the initial 'deployment' blast. Basically a backwards power drain.

It hasn't dawned on you how asinine it is to suggest players deshield an opponent and stop shooting to throw a grenade - a grenade which is far easier to dodge than a hitscan rifle.

Nebula

Pulse grenades are easy to get kills with. That achievement is a piece of cake. The only reason pulse grenades look weak is because nobody knows how to use them offensively.

Nope. They are not that easy to get kills with in your average game against average people. They are not great grenades in any right and are not designed to be offensive. They have a larger mental effect than a physical one in the middle of a battle. It's a grenade that can kill if someone stays in the radius, yet it screams "I'M BIG AND SPHERICAL AND BLOCKING YOUR PATH NOW HAHAHA!" and most players will move back away from the grenade greatly lowering the odds of a kill by it, let alone two in one grenade.

You also seem to be forgetting that this achievement requires a Double Kill from one grenade. I pretty sure you're not pulling doubles daily when I have only ever got one and I use the Pulse Grenade a larger than average amount.

IHaveIce

Banned
Don't forget there will be a FFA DLC list, I think the achievements won't be that hard, still they are annoying and a shitty idea.

Also Shotty Snipers is still shit, who would have thought

Fuchsdh

Pretty decent achievements, aside from the fact that you have to be on a DLC map. Is there some technical reason they can't just make them pop on all maps? If the achievements are locked behind the DLC anyhow it shouldn't matter.

Ken

Pretty decent achievements, aside from the fact that you have to be on a DLC map. Is there some technical reason they can't just make them pop on all maps? If the achievements are locked behind the DLC anyhow it shouldn't matter.

To get people to play the DLC maps? I don't know.

So I tried to make a FFA map for the CA Forge comp on waypoint. I decided I would forge on Impact since I haven't forge on it before and also tried to use as little of the budget and pieces as possible.

So I finish up the map last night, its looking clean and good. I've used nearly $2100 of the $10,000 budget and minimal pieces. I figure this should surly be enough to allow for good split screen play. So I load up a custom game in split screen to check it out, and then it hits me. Cinematic frame-rate everywhere. Good luck to anyone who is forging for that contest, I don't see how anyone can forge a good FFA map without any frame-rate issues. I certainly don't have the time to try.

Gordon

Gordon is our new Ozzy.
Is that bad? :)

Nope. They are not that easy to get kills with in your average game against average people. They are not great grenades in any right and are not designed to be offensive. They have a larger mental effect than a physical one in the middle of a battle. It's a grenade that can kill if someone stays in the radius, yet it screams "I'M BIG AND SPHERICAL AND BLOCKING YOUR PATH NOW HAHAHA!" and most players will move back away from the grenade.

You also seem to be forgetting that this achievement requires a Double Kill from one grenade. I pretty sure you're not pulling doubles daily when I have only ever got one and I use the Pulse Grenade a larger than average amount.
They are much easier to use defensively - yes, but their offensive merit is reasonable. I mean, they're not secretly the most powerful grenade or anything, but they can get kills just as easily as a sticky or a frag. As for landing a double, that's kinda tricky, but it's feasible. I mean, do you want a achievement for getting a DMR kill or something? lol

The only aspect of this that I don't like is the fact that everybody will realize that pulse grenades are decent and my k/d with them will come down lol

Fuchsdh

To get people to play the DLC maps? I don't know.
It just seems so odd. Limiting map selection mostly forces boosts. DLC matching is certainly better than it was in Reach, but I dot think its enough of an added carrot to make up for te pitfalls.

Caja 117

Nope. They are not that easy to get kills with in your average game against average people. They are not great grenades in any right and are not designed to be offensive. They have a larger mental effect than a physical one in the middle of a battle. It's a grenade that can kill if someone stays in the radius, yet it screams "I'M BIG AND SPHERICAL AND BLOCKING YOUR PATH NOW HAHAHA!" and most players will move back away from the grenade greatly lowering the odds of a kill by it, let alone two in one grenade.

Grenade: pulse grenade
Tactical package: Grenadier
Support upgrade: explosives

Nebula

Is that bad? :)
As for landing a double, that's kinda tricky, but it's feasible. I mean, do you want a achievement for getting a DMR kill or something? lol

Achievement: Something accomplished successfully, especially by means of exertion, skill, practice, or perseverance.

Luck isn't skill. That's reason number 2 of why these multiplayer achievements are not liked by me. Reason 1 is that it alters gameplay for a period of time and doesn't provide a true picture of how a map functions. It usually ends up in the achievements ruining maps and making me dislike them.

Ken

Achievement: Something accomplished successfully, especially by means of exertion, skill, practice, or perseverance.

Luck isn't skill. That's reason number 2 of why these multiplayer achievements are not liked by me. Reason 1 is that it alters gameplay for a period of time and doesn't provide a true picture of how a map functions. It usually ends up in the achievements ruining maps and making me dislike them.

This is what challenges did to Reach and I'm surprised no one learned anything from them.

Gordon

I don't really see how luck plays that much of a role. I mean, does the sticky detonator operate on luck? Because pulse grenades are very much like a dumbed down version of the sticky det.

You misunderstand my point I think.

You need to hope that two enemies remain close enough together while no shields for this achievement to even be achievable. The odds of that are unlikely, and even slimmer thanks to the nature of the Pulse Grenade.

EDIT: Did you change your avatar to a pulse grenade during this?
I don't think I'm misunderstanding so much as we're disagreeing. I use pulse grenades regularly, so I have more confidence that the achievement will be relatively simple. As it stands I have 32 kills with them [and 2 deaths] in Slayer gametypes, and I don't generally try to get kills with them. I just use them for stripping shields. A double might be a bit of a tall order, but a single kill wouldn't even be an achievement. And they are under-used, so it's not unreasonable for 343 to highlight them in this way.

And yeah - I change my avatar to match the conversation regularly. Or, well, his face.

You're really reaching here.
Well, both follow a ballistic trajectory, have a momentary 'arming' delay (although I'm not 100% sure that's not latency), and leave an explosive hazard in play for a non-instantaneous period of time. The detonator might be capable of more trap-laying strategies, but if you're firing either directly at somebody, they're very similar. If the nades had a remote trigger, no persistent field, and enough damage to kill with one blast, they would be exactly the same.

Nebula

I don't really see how luck plays that much of a role. I mean, does the sticky detonator operate on luck? Because pulse grenades are very much like a dumbed down version of the sticky det.

You need to hope that two enemies remain close enough together while no shields for this achievement to even be achievable. The odds of that are unlikely, and even slimmer thanks to the nature of the Pulse Grenade.

Ken

kill two spartans with one splaser

Top Bottom