• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

wwm0nkey

My name is Jason and I'm a sci-fi junkie.

Holy shit, that is beyond awesome.

Crown of Flies was a 1v1 map I made in Halo 3. I rebuilt it in Reach for 4v4, and it got into matchmaking for a brief time. I'm flattered and humbled.

If I see him on I will let him know lol

Also speaking of Murder Miners the newest update that has CTF is going through approval, should be up tomorrow and the game will still be $1

Gui_PT

My name is Jason and I'm a sci-fi junkie.

Holy shit, that is beyond awesome.

Crown of Flies was a 1v1 map I made in Halo 3. I rebuilt it in Reach for 4v4, and it got into matchmaking for a brief time. I'm flattered and humbled.

You're the one who made that map?

BLOCKED

There it is, the fundamental design flaw with Halo 4. Reach didn't do anything noteworthy that warranted it being the basis for the next evolutionary step in the franchise. Armor Abilities as a whole did more to frustrate players and stifle the gameplay rather than innovate and push the multiplayer to new standards. Loadouts completely undermine the basic tenet of Halo multiplayer: everyone starts out equal and battles for the upgrades on the field. Reach failed to make even one solid map that I would like to see remade in this or future games, so the decision to move forward from that relative trainwreck of a game really showcases how diametrically opposed I am to Halo 4 basic design philosophy.

Exactly, Reach is not a game from which to build your new house on. To me, Halo is the sort of series which has perhaps earned the right to be considered in the same vein as your Mario's or your Zelda's... Or at least until Halo 3, it had the right to be considered in that kind of company with the amount of game on game industry leading innovations the series had brought with it (the first was a gameplay revolution with its two weapon limit and recharging shields. Halo 2 basically invented the modern xbox live lobby and interface and Halo 3 pioneered social gameplay sharing with its theatre and forge modes).

Mario and Zelda are among the best series' in gaming history and are essentially always their own inspired vision. This is what Halo had basically earnt the right to be: a sovereign title, unmoved by the transcience of industry trends, confident in the purity of its own experience.

Now this doesn't mean that the series cannot change and innovate from within but certain principles of Halo's gameplay have to be constitutionally protected and everyone starting equal, so everyone knows what to expect of their opponent, is absolutely paramount. When Mario jumps on top of a Goomba in any Mario game over the last 30 years, the Goomba dies. He doesn't suddenly armour lock in the latest installment.

I remember Frankie equating the uproar over the Halo 4 Game Informer reveal details to people disliking the introduction of dual weilding in Halo 2; at best that's misguided and you can't compare instant respawns, see through walls, camo with sprint on spawn and not being able to predict or control where the next power weapon is coming from to any change in the gameplay from CE to 2 or 2 to 3.

Using Reach as the base is a bit like the Mario team using Luigi's Mansion as the core for their next 3D mainline Mario title. Yeah the Luigi game is good in its own right but don't let it guide its big brother.

Dude.

Combiner is a reskinned Shotgun/Needler.

Phase Rifle is a reskinned DMR-Beam Rifle baby.

Phasebuster is a reskinned Grenade Launcher/Sticky Detonator.

Phase Grenade is a reskinned Firebomb/Spike Grenade.

Crossbolt is a reskinned bow and arrow.

Hell, if you want to get technical, even the Gravity Gauntlet is just a reskinned Ender Pearl that can stun people.

I BEAT THE FOCUS GROUPS AT THEIR OWN GAME

You did it, you're hired.

*nostalgia tear*

all that gray, though. ugh. I thought about doing it again for H4, but there's already a ton of asymmetric maps to choose from.

You're the one who made that map?

BLOCKED
anigif_enhanced-buzz-m0pj1.gif

Akai__

I can't get better in Halo, when people are terrible. :p

This is our session today and we lost 2 games out of 30.

w,w,w,w,w,
w,w,w,w,w,
w,l,w,w,w,
w,w,w,l,w,
w,w,w,w,w

(w= win; l=loss)

Nearly every won game, the other Team quitted. The 1st game we lost, was to people, who were lagging incredibly. I started to count the black-screens after a while and it were 17, in a single game. The second was against decent players, but we did so many mistakes and they got quite lucky, with Sniper + Damage Boost and such.

TLDR: It was a fun session after a week not playing, but still... Where is the competition?

Now back to Starcraft 2. :p

Edit: I didn't knew, that JiP is possible in Team Doubles. The lobby turns from a 4 player lobby, to a 5 player lobby, too.

Edit 2: vvvvv :lol

Just throwing out an idea on how to program the Gravity Gauntlet for Custom Edition:

-Use a "no weapon" hand biped
-Hitting right trigger throws a glowing plasma grenade from your right hand. The grenade doesn't do any damage or explode.
-Wherever it lands, you teleport to - just like an Ender Pearl out of Minecraft. It "overheats" your hand eating up 5 battery and drains your shields, though.
-If this special plasma grenade hits an enemy player, it stuns them for 5 seconds and you don't teleport (but it drains 15 battery, 3 per second).
-If it hits a weapon, the weapon teleports to your feet and takes 10 battery.

BigShow36

Just throwing out an idea on how to program the Gravity Gauntlet for Custom Edition:

-Hitting right trigger throws a glowing plasma grenade from your right hand. The grenade doesn't do any damage or explode.
-Wherever it lands, you teleport to - just like an Ender Pearl out of Minecraft. It "overheats" your hand eating up 5 battery and drains your shields, though.
-If this special plasma grenade hits an enemy player, it stuns them for 5 seconds and you don't teleport (but it drains 15 battery, 3 per second).

What happens if it hits a weapon in another players hand?

Tawpgun

I'm gonna be honest, I've glazed over almost all of your posts but if I can offer some criticism it's that complicated weapons like that will never fly.

That and any weapon that actually isn't a weapon.

Nebula

I hate stunning abilities in any game. RuneScape added this with the Evolution of Combat and it blows. I've had nothing but bad experiences with stunning.

BigShow36

I hate stunning abilities in any game. RuneScape added this with the Evolution of Combat and it blows. I've had nothing but bad experiences with stunning.

Stunning PR and PP were amazing. Added a nice diversity to the sandbox and made them viable weapons.

Booties

Banned
Seriously though, the Henery's post about how Reach should not have been the foundation for the future of the franchise was amazing. It's just as much work to go back 2 steps than it is to try and work in more ideas than you can manage. Halo Reach caused nothing but controversy, why would that make you think it's a good idea to keep moving forward?

Nebula

Seriously though, the Henery's post about how Reach should not have been the foundation for the future of the franchise was amazing. It's just as much work to go back 2 steps than it is to try and work in more ideas than you can manage. Halo Reach caused nothing but controversy, why would that make you think it's a good idea to keep moving forward?

I'm still going to keep lying to myself and keep thinking that Bungie made Reach to sabotage the Halo franchise and give Destiny a better shot at success.

Havok

The list:
What is Yours is
Also Mine
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, disable a vehicle and then hijack it.
40 points

Dodge This!
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, get two direct Spartan Laser kills in one match.
20 points

Hello Nurse!
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, heal a near-death teammate with Regen Field 5 times.
30 points

That Won't Save You
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, assassinate an enemy who is using a Hardlight Shield.
30 points

Ashes to Ashes
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, disintegrate 6 enemies using Forerunner weapons.
10 points

Beating up the Beat
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, perform 5 melee kills in a single match.
30 points

Sight Seeing
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, complete a match in any mode for each Castle map.
20 points

Scrapyard
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, destroy 2 vehicles during a single game.
30 points

Outta My Way!
In Castle DLC Matchmaking, kill 5 enemies during a match by running them over.
Encourages: rushing up to get melee kills on Big Team maps, regen field, being lucky around someone dumb enough to use Hardlight Shield, Plasma Pistol loadouts, fighting over Forerunner power weapons, taking the vehicles explicitly for splatters, and the laser is now locked in and can never be removed from these maps.

Not as bad as the last two packs. I don't think that's a big accomplishment.

Havok

Ordnance.
Can't believe it actually has a positive.
I guess it'll still be there for Infinity stuff until the end of time, you're right. If they ever make that playlist more than just lame BTB Slayer, then we'll run into the problem of the weapon layout being kinda dumb (Outcast has two lasers and I'm not sure why that was approved).

There is never anything positive about the laser's existence.

As others have said, it's overly complicated. Since you're calling it a Gravity Gauntlet, just make it be able to control the mass of an object/person, similar to the Black Bishop from the Hellfire Club.

- takes up a weapon slot, so Y to switch between gun and gauntlet.
- when equipped, you run around like Space Ghost with your finger on the gauntlet switch; easy to spot.
- LT to increase mass, RT to decrease mass. Effect lasts about as long as the shortest timer on current AA's.
- best counter to the jetpack to date besides it's complete removal.

Do they not understand the gameplay behavioral changes of achievements like this, or do they just not care about that? I really don't get it, all these MP achievements just seem like common sense ones to NOT do.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The list:
Encourages: rushing up to get melee kills on Big Team maps, regen field, being lucky around someone dumb enough to use Hardlight Shield, Plasma Pistol loadouts, fighting over Forerunner power weapons, taking the vehicles explicitly for splatters, and the laser is now locked in and can never be removed from these maps.

Not as bad as the last two packs. I don't think that's a big accomplishment.

Yeah the melee one and the running people over one aren't good at all, but the other ones seem reasonable. Speaking of, who makes all the achievements at 343?

Have they released in-game pictures of these maps? How big are they? Will Frankie ever PM me? Will Ellis ever PM me my Majestic map pack code? Stay tuned to find out!

Havok

Yeah the melee one and the running people over one aren't good at all, but the other ones seem reasonable. Speaking of, who makes all the achievements at 343?
I don't think we'll ever get to know that, just given the "off with their heads" nature of the internet. I always wondered if it might be the team that made the maps, so Certain Affinity in this case, but I don't know how creating those hooks for the achievements works so it must be a separate team.

MUCH better than the last two packs, but I still don't like the "do this with this" achievements.

This is the only bad one:
"In Castle DLC Matchmaking, assassinate an enemy who is using a Hardlight Shield."
That's the only luck-based one, but I wouldn't say it's the only bad one. I think encouraging people to melee on big team maps is a really silly thing to do. And at least in my eyes "do this with this" achievements are universally bad in a multiplayer game since you're forcing very specific behaviors for a reward.

Tawpgun

Have they released in-game pictures of these maps? How big are they? Will Frankie ever PM me? Will Ellis ever PM me my Majestic map pack code? Stay tuned to find out!
They all actually seemed not THAT big as far as BTB goes. Complex almost seemed bigger than them

Give this man a jelly donut and the nobel prize for franchise development. Fire 343. Hire Juices.

Dude, a jelly donut sounds so good right now... Really shouldn't have started my 100g of carbs a day diet before Easter but it's begun so it must continue! Onwards to 10% BF.

Not as bad as the Majestic but it would have been difficult to best that nadir. Hardlight one is boost lobby central seeing as hardly anybody uses it and the people who do will now be doubly wary of choosing it knowing there's gamer score tied to it.

I see David is still repping his Jersey Shore roots with the beat up the beat achievment.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I don't think we'll ever get to know that, just given the "off with their heads" nature of the internet. I always wondered if it might be the team that made the maps, so Certain Affinity in this case, but I don't know how creating those hooks for the achievements works so it must be a separate team.

That's the only luck-based one, but I wouldn't say it's the only bad one. I think encouraging people to melee on big team maps is a really silly thing to do. And at least in my eyes "do this with this" achievements are universally bad in a multiplayer game since you're forcing very specific behaviors for a reward.

Ha, I just noticed the hardlight shield one. Yeah, scratch what I said, these aren't reasonable. Oh well, this is what friends are for!

Booties

Banned
Dude, a jelly donut sounds so good right now... Really shouldn't have started my 100g of carbs a day diet before Easter but it's begun so it must continue! Onwards to 10% BF.

100g of carbs? What are you anorexic? Go to the fitness thread and learn how to eat before you kill yourself. I'm cruising around with ~ 300g/day.

Actually, I'm closer to 200g, but you can eat that much if you want to and it's not that big a deal.

I just eat celery all day. Makes your jism have lots of water content so it shoots real far. Real Peter North tips coming at you.

Hire Juices.

Top Bottom