• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

darthbob

What if 343 announced they were bringing back Assault but it was really a modified Invasion variant by Certain Affinity?

Who wants to wager the armor is shitty in 4 because they were trying to prepare us for a F2P model where all of the good armor and perks are hidden behind a paywall?

I wouldn't consider Halo 4 F2P if it still requires a Gold sub.

How do you keep the BR, Carbine and Light Rifle in the game and still enforce consistent loadouts across the board?
Simple, let people choose their starting primary rifle only.

No perks, Magnum always in your back pocket, 2 frags that can actually hit stuff without Explosives and can be picked up without Resupply, and no AAs.

No perks, Magnum always in your back pocket, 2 frags that can actually hit stuff without Explosives and can be picked up without Resupply, and no AAs.

I would prefer if you always started with one rifle but the other rifles are pickups on the map that are slightly more powerful than the starting one.

It's days like this make me wonder why I waste time posting in this thread.

I really do empathize. Ultimately, this doesn't help anyone and it's just discouraging having to read that kind of stuff about your co-workers :/ I wish more people would follow the "craft criticism, not creator criticism" deal.

Ghazi

Well you deleted the 1313 out of my post :)
And my hate for modern Disney doesn't exist only because of that
And people listing games of Lucasarts but nobody posted Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island? :(
I mentioned Monkey Island in my post, I never played Day of the Tentacle though

One of the things that I do appreciate about Halo 4 is the big reduction in grenade spam. I've always thought that grenades were pseudo-power weapons that should only be picked up through fixed spawns and not off bodies or what's littered on the floor (big lift on Construct was horrible because of this).

I would prefer if you always started with one rifle but the other rifles are pickups on the map that are slightly more powerful than the starting one.
BR/Pistol/frag starts. Everything else is available for pickup on the map at fixed intervals, with the current waypoint system to guide the uninitiated. Simple, effective, fair for everyone. Pretty much the Throwdown settings.

Give the Halo CE Pistol the aim assist range of the Halo 4 Light Rifle.

Halo 4 Light Rifle scoped aim assist range reduced to that of the BR and Carbine.

Replace DMR with the Phase Rifle (Promethean equivalent that handles like a Beam Rifle). Aim assist range of the Halo 4 Light Rifle.

Universal Magnum / 2x Frags starts.

In the general vicinity of each base there's:

1 Battle Rifle
1 Carbine
1 Light Rifle
1 Phase Rifle
"Universal Ammo Packs" that have set respawn/refresh rates.

That way in 4v4s people can still nab their primary rifle of choice, and we're limited to one "pinger" (DMR) per team.

Instead of having a rifle on the map that ends up being slightly more powerful than the one you spawn with I'd prefer not having 4 weapons acting as redundancies of one another in the first place. Cut the fat.

Instead of having a rifle on the map that ends up being slightly more powerful than the one you spawn with I'd prefer not having 4 weapons acting as redundancies of one another in the first place. Cut the fat.

343's gotten mountains of shit for cutting features and you want them to get rid of the Battle Rifle, Carbine and DMR?

Eh, I like on-map weapons to be reserved for things like power weapons, plasma pistols, power ups, etc. I thought Gears 3 did this perfectly where you have power weapons, grenades and other weapons like the Boltok on the map while you chose your primary weapons.

FyreWulff

Was there ever an explanation for how DMRs made it off Reach?

Years later "oh shit, I should have opened these Amazon boxes sooner"

Reasonable answer: After it got scorched and the Covenant presence lowered, the Insurrectionists scoured the area for whatever classified tech they could find. That's why you see them with weird shit like flamethrowers and EMP weapons. Ultimately after the events on the Rubble and the insurrectionist-jackal partnership got broken up they stole the guns back and slowly began production again.

343 answer: "WE LOVE TO USE THE DMR. IT'S STRONG AND PUNCHY AND IT'S GOT THIS ANTI-PLEBIAN, CLINICAL DEATH RATE TO IT. IT'S JUST BEGGING TO BE ABUSED!"

343's gotten mountains of shit for cutting features and you want them to get rid of the Battle Rifle, Carbine and DMR?
Only prom weapons for every weapon archetype. Wouldn't that be great?

DGxYDe4.gif

I guess they bundled AAs in the same box. Apparently the Covenant outsourced their AA development to Reach as well since they suddenly stopped using those right after.

Reasonable answer: After it got scorched and the Covenant presence lowered, the Insurrectionists scoured the area for whatever classified tech they could find. That's why you see them with weird shit like flamethrowers and EMP weapons. Ultimately after the events on the Rubble and the insurrectionist-jackal partnership got broken up they stole the guns back and slowly began production again.

343 answer: "WE LOVE TO USE THE DMR. IT'S STRONG AND PUNCHY AND IT'S GOT THIS ANTI-PLEBIAN, CLINICAL DEATH RATE TO IT. IT'S JUST BEGGING TO BE ABUSED!"

Actual answer: The DMR was brought to Halo in 2010 and continued in 2012.

I feel like something as generic as a weapon shouldn't have to be written into fiction, because then you end up with all these weird stories attempting to bring it full circle. There's no need to contextualize the sandbox; everyone already knows why it's in. It was convenient that AAs could have been destroyed on Reach, but they were really one logical step of evolution after Halo 3's equipment and Halo 2's abilities.

Nebula

Sprint really is causing issues in Forge FFA. The maps aren't that small yet I feel like the guy I just killed is shooting me before my shields recharge, even if that person spawns a good distance away from me.

Shield recharge delay needs lowering or sprint needs pooping on.

What was it Staten said years ago? That humanity reverted back to using traditional projective weapons because it was more fun?

So something like that. Osman commissioned them. Each shipment costs as much as the Infinity does.

Sprint really is causing issues in Forge FFA. The maps aren't that small yet I feel like the guy I just killed is shooting me before my shields recharge, even if that person spawns a good distance away from me.

Shield recharge delay needs lowering or sprint needs pooping on.

There are 3 solutions:

Enlarge maps - create a gameplay problem
Change shield recharge - create an inconsistency problem
Remove sprint - eliminate all problems

Only prom weapons for every weapon archetype. Wouldn't that be great?

DGxYDe4.gif

I guess they bundled AAs in the same box. Apparently the Covenant outsourced their AA development to Reach as well since they suddenly stopped using those right after.

I don't get this either. It seems ridiculous because I loved the dynamics they had, like Skirmishers using believable Holograms, Brutes using Armor Lock, etc.

Hell, when the Knights got unveiled, I was expecting high-tech analogues of all the AAs. Hardlight shield by watchers, Thruster is their mini-teleport, etc...

I'm just going to go ahead and guess that, given Reach was the height of their military power, neither side ended up surviving with enough resources to keep manufacturing their big guns after that massive of a war.

Christ, 500 years into the future bit aside, can you imagine the resources it would have taken to manufacture a Covenant Supercarrier? I bet the UNSC shit themselves when the Infinity crash-landed on a Shield World containing the guy that activated the Halo Array. Not in the "ancient evil awakens" sense, but in that they just spent trillions of dollars manufacturing an entire army and the most high-tech equipment to date, put it on one ship, and all it did was spend a few weeks driving through space only to get stuck in a dyson sphere that we don't understand yet.

Top Bottom