• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Xater

Reach MP seems great in the GB Quick Look. Way more interesting than the one in Halo 3. You can't deny that they took some clues from MW though.

Pete Rock

Pennybags said:
Obviously the Mongoose Race video on Joystiq. :D
Wow, looking just like a Halotracks starting line, I'm assuming this means the inclusion of an official racing gametype has fixed all flaws with previous iterations. Already we have a nice title "Race: Hit checkpoints to complete laps, 3 laps to win" rather than "VIP: Kill the enemy VIP" which is already a step in the right direction. Next Gate distance/kph readout, lap time, this is all looking mighty fine Bungie! :D

Edit: at 3:07 it appears a Spartan that is off his Mongoose attacking another player is automatically slayed. Would love confirmation on this being a variable setting in the Race gametype, time off vehicle before automatic destruction of player.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
Giant Bomb on the Needle Rifle: "The usefulness of this one seems limited unless you're good enough to get enough hits..."

Very astute!
Shit, nearly every weapon is going to be useless to me now!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm just saw this press release pop up.

Microsoft Game Studios said:
"Witness the Dramatic "Birth of a Spartan" in the Stunning Live-Action Short for the Biggest Blockbuster Game of 2010, "Halo: Reach"
LONDON – 26 April 2010 - Brace yourselves for a riveting glimpse into one of the darkest secrets of the “Halo” universe. This week is the premiere of “Birth of a Spartan,” a live-action short directed by award-winning director Noam Murro. Airing on multiple U.K. and U.S. TV networks and also showing in cinemas across North America, “Birth of a Spartan” is a stirring depiction of the transformation of Carter 259, the future leader of Noble Team in “Halo: Reach,” from an ordinary young man to a superhuman Spartan warrior.

The highly classified bio-augmentation procedure is a Spartan candidate’s final and most difficult ordeal before joining the ranks of the legendary soldiers. The dramatic interpretation of Carter’s rebirth as a Spartan embodies the themes of courage, sacrifice and honor in “Halo: Reach” and gives viewers a unique look into the origins of a central character in the upcoming blockbuster game.

The 60 second ad short premieres in the U.K. on Tuesday, April 27 via Sky Sports 2 at the full time whistle of the Champions League semi-final between Lyon and Bayern Munich. Watch it live or on demand on Sky Player, Sky’s online TV service on Xbox 360 via Xbox LIVE. And if you miss it, catch it again on Wednesday 28th April on ITV 1 after the Champions League Semi Final between Barcelona vs Inter Milan. The short will also air on multiple shows across sixteen other U.K. and U.S. TV networks, including Comedy Central, Spike TV, Bravo, FX, TNT and TBS.

The short will be available on www.welcometonobleteam.com on Tuesday, April 27 at 5.00 am GMT. In addition to being able to view the short, users can also upload a photo of themselves and get an image created of them as a Spartan III. On the following day a special, extended two minute 30 second version will be available for download on Xbox LIVE exclusively for Gold members. The ad short will also premiere on April 28 in cinemas across North America in select theaters with screenings through the opening weekend of “Iron Man 2” and concludes on May 13."

Xater said:
Reach MP seems great in the GB Quick Look. Way more interesting than the one in Halo 3. You can't deny that they took some clues from MW though.

Thats only a good thing in my opinion. No one can deny that whether the game is better or not, that it has taken a lot of Halo's glory in terms of popularity. Addressing this is a good way for Bungie to claw back the fans, and they seem to have done it in a way which stays true to the core of Halo, so im happy.

Either way that 35 minuite Giantbomb footage was enough to keep me satisfied for now, im going to avoid watching anymore because I dont want to quite lose the fresh feeling from the beta. It cant come quick enough!!!

Nice at the live action augmentation thing, putting it the ad break of the champions league is a smart way of getting people interested :D

Xater

bobs99 ... said:
Thats only a good thing in my opinion. No one can deny that whether the game is better or not, that it has taken a lot of Halo's glory in terms of popularity. Addressing this is a good way for Bungie to claw back the fans, and they seem to have done it in a way which stays true to the core of Halo, so im happy.

Either way that 35 minuite Giantbomb footage was enough to keep me satisfied for now, im going to avoid watching anymore because I dont want to quite lose the fresh feeling from the beta. It cant come quick enough!!!

Nice at the live action augmentation thing, putting it the ad break of the champions league is a smart way of getting people interested :D

Oh I also think it's a good thing. Halo 3 didn't hold me for long. I went with COD4 and never looked back. That's why I think this looks interesting again.

"FILE BROWSER" is super awesome.

filebrowser.jpg

Gui_PT

I am going to marry this game!

Love all the gametypes, love all the weapons. Love how you feel the shock of an explosion and you even lose your hearing for a while.

Didn't really like the fact that you have to press a button to pick up a health pack though

Shake Appeal said:

filebrowser.jpg

Whats up with "File Bro"

? :lol

Either way I love the new UI, the cross section thing they have for the emblem browser is amazing, ive pretty much settled on my emblem by now, but it will make checking out different combinations a lot easier.

Little things like this (which equal lots of hard work no doubt) - are reasons why I love Bungie.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Watching the GB quick look, Reach is looking really good :D.

Chinner

Banned
Popeck said:
Rocket locking am confirmed. You can get a glimpse of it in the Machinima.com's video on Waypoint.
why do we need the laser then? get rid of that shit, or just limit it to single player or something bungle.

neoism

Will that's good for me, watched about an hours worth. I don't want to ruin it, so May3rd here I come. But hopefully I'm lucky enough to win a F&F code. :D
From what I've seen though, this game will be my life for the next 3 to 4 years, FPS wise!

Blueblur1

wwm0nkey said:
Can someone please upload some footage to youtube. I have a 2 hour study hall coming up and need something to keep me amused.
This. I can't watch any of the videos except for the Giant Bomb one.

chess

Next gen Halo:CE sprinkled with some delicious flakes of Shadowrun, absolutely wonderful Bungie!

...and I thought I may not be gaming much in the future :lol

The CE shield recharge sound is sexy!

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm just saw this press release pop up.

The short will be available on www.welcometonobleteam.com on Tuesday, April 27 at 5.00 am GMT. In addition to being able to view the short, users can also upload a photo of themselves and get an image created of them as a Spartan III. On the following day a special, extended two minute 30 second version will be available for download on Xbox LIVE exclusively for Gold members. The ad short will also premiere on April 28 in cinemas across North America in select theaters with screenings through the opening weekend of “Iron Man 2” and concludes on May 13.
I hate to say it, but I'm sooo doing this. :lol

neoism

Shake Appeal said:

filebrowser.jpg
:lol :lol :lol Damn I'ama goina browse for hours, so glad the put that in the game.
I'm so buying bungle pro for the beta, along with like 500 minutes!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Needler tracking ridicule? Awesome.
Weapon caches inside the base in Overgrowth? Cool.

Noticed those two tidbits on the Waypoint videos, and the rocket lockon, as already posted.

Sai-kun

Banned
This guy on GIantbomb playing Stockpile is so terrible. :lol

Edit: Ahaha! I heard "Cool spawn bro" :D

Edit 2: Nevermind :lol I'm hearing things.

derFeef

I can not belive it. All this stuff coming out on Waypoint and XBL and whatnot and my 360 is on vacation. Jesus. I am going to cry now.

Top Bottom