• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
InvincibleAgent said:
On that note, is this week when we'll get the lowdown on the playlists and gametypes?

• Bungie Weekly Update: 04.23.10 Explanations of Gametypes, Playlists, Controls and Retail SKU’s
  • B.net Beta Buckdown! New Bungie.net Features
  • Bungie Weekly Update: 04.16.10 Beta Games Modes and Theatre
  • Bungie Weekly Update: 04.09.10 The Beta Maps
  • Bungie Weekly Update: 04.02.10 Player Models, Loadout Specifics, Weapons and Vehicles
  • Bungie Weekly Update: 03.26.10 Player Investment, Ranking and Credits
  • Bungie Weekly Update: 03.19.10 Matchmaking, Playlists and the Arena

Dani said:
  • Bungie Weekly Update: 04.23.10 Explanations of Gametypes, Playlists, Controls and Retail SKU’s
I don't mean Invasion and Invasion Slayer, I mean exactly what "Grab Bag" consists of, etc. Looks like it says this in that update:

b-net said:
Next week, we’ll launch our Beta (it’s super awesome) guide on Bungie.net and give you some insights into how each playlist breaks down by specific game type.

So can we expect that on the usual Friday?

GhaleonEB said:
My initial reaction was, that sounds too easy. But on reflection, I like how it sounds. Since failure to unlock them would result in the game ending, and given how it ramps up so steeply in Phase 3, I'd rather they make an early shutout a tall order. That way getting one will really feel earned, and more games will get to the crazy stuff at the end.
There are other reasons it makes sense to have multiple generators to hit. Unless you want to avoid a clusterfuck king of the hill situation, you need a push-pull dynamic to the game, where attackers can feint at grabbing one and then move on another, or just jerk the Spartan forces around as much as possible. It also opens up possibilities for stealth. Ideally the territories will flash or turn red on the Spartan HUD when they are occupied, and the game will take on the slightest flavour of Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
InvincibleAgent said:
I don't mean Invasion and Invasion Slayer, I mean exactly what "Grab Bag" consists of, etc. Looks like it says this in that update:

So can we expect that on the usual Friday?

Grabbag consists of 1 Flag, Crazy King, Oddball, 3 Plots, Stockpile, Covie Slayer, Team Slayer, Slayer Pro - a mix of Objective and Slayer.

Do we know if we're going to get details of the gametype weightings, player restrictions, etc. for the various playlists before the beta goes live?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Shake Appeal said:
Do we know if we're going to get details of the gametype weightings, player restrictions, etc. for the various playlists before the beta goes live?

Some of that may be in either the next BWU or the Beta FAQ.

Damn this week is going to be tremendously long.

My productivity at work received quite a boost this morning. Have to keep my mind busy :lol

I hope we'll get some info on the download and access process too; maybe some sweet suprises like pre-load options or the entire weekend open for download.

So we won't nuclearize xboxlive this time XD

Zeouterlimits said:
Yeah, I'd expect that we'll be told at some point, probably in the BWU.

Discussion about Reach starts at ~11 minute mark in the 1up Podcast.
A little confused by their remark that Bungie "had to" put out these two games. I mean, I appreciate that they did have contractual obligations, but they're making it sound like ODST and Reach are two lead weights around Bungie's neck, and I just don't get that feeling when I read or listen to what the Bungie staff have to say about these games and this universe.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
InvincibleAgent said:
Are you reading that from somewhere I have access to?
I quoted my sources earlier. =) But here they are compiled.

This is your familiar Halo experience. The go to game types. Some of this stuff you should already be used to. If you like Assault Rifle and Magnum starts (and you will much more than you did the same in Halo 3, trust me), you should go with Slayer. Should be self-explanatory. Like the longer range game? Vote for Pro.

You’ll also see a healthy mix of objective stuff like 1 Flag, Crazy King, Oddball, and, back by popular demand, Halo 2 style Three Plots, where teams must capture and hold a series of three fixed territories that can be subsequently recaptured by the opposition. The more territories you hold down at any one given time, the more points you are awarded, per second.

You’ll also run into a little somethin’ somethin’ we like to call Covie Slayer. Elite on Elite evasion action. Do yourself a favor and cast your vote in favor of this at least once. Trust me.

Shake Appeal said:
A little confused by their remark that Bungie "had to" put out these two games. I mean, I appreciate that they did have contractual obligations, but they're making it sound like ODST and Reach are two lead weights around Bungie's neck, and I just don't get that feeling when I read or listen to what the Bungie staff have to say about these games and this universe.

They even called ODST a "gift" to fans and something made by Halo CE veterans who loved to work on ODST.

It's confusing, yeah. Maybe they were just referring to the obligation itself, not the games.

I mean: they love doing Halo, they just hate to be forced to do it.

This 1up podcast isn't really worth it if you're the kind of guy that posts in HaloGAF threads regularly, but it'd be a nice introduction for people who may not have been keeping an eye on Reach until now.

Dani said:
I quoted my sources earlier. =) But here they are compiled.
I see your link. And it leads to a bunch of other links, none of which are labeled "Gametypes/Playlists" except the one that I've already looked at which doesn't include your quoted info. Yes, I see your quote, so I know what Grab Bag consists of. But I was really looking for something more comprehensive. I was just using Grab Bag as an example.

Well, I don't see Dani's "sources" anywhere in the last 10 pages, but BladedExpert, you can call yourself BLEX! :lol

Understandable and expected really, has been and will always be the case for alot of the media coverage.
Will always have time for Parish personally.

FUD down Dani? Edit: Temporarily it seems :D

They have the usual complement of journalist errors, too. Apparently you can't deal damage to someone in the middle of an execution!

One (unsurprising) tidbit: Forge was in the menus because Bungie hadn't yet taken it out, so it's confirmed for the full game.

Spirit3

Shake Appeal said:
They have the usual complement of journalist errors, too. Apparently you can't deal damage to someone in the middle of an execution!

One (unsurprising) tidbit: Forge was in the menus because Bungie hadn't yet taken it out, so it's confirmed for the full game.

I don't think there was much doubt, but it's good to get a confirmation. Hopefully we can get a Firefight confirmation as well. If so, this game is going to need 2000 achievement points. Actually forget achievements, just tie especially high Firefight scores into amour perms (or points to buy the perms) but not so much as to ruin the matchmaking.

Actually that won't work either. Just add Firefight for the sheer fun of it.

derFeef said:
Interesting to see Giantbomb covering Reach that much as they are not so hot on Halo. At least I got that impression.
GiantBomb has the best videogames footage in whole internet ever. I cannot wait to see the Reach Coverage and i'll laugh.

Monocle

Spirit3 said:
I don't think there was much doubt, but it's good to get a confirmation. Hopefully we can get a Firefight confirmation as well. If so, this game is going to need 2000 achievement points. Actually forget achievements, just tie especially high Firefight scores into amour perms (or points to buy the perms) but not so much as to ruin the matchmaking.

Actually that won't work either. Just add Firefight for the sheer fun of it.
Bungie could go the Orange Box route and make a huge variety of achievements that are worth 5 - 10 points a piece. I'm not a huge fan of this approach myself. I like your idea better.

I'd do away with multiplayer achievements entirely if it were up to me. They encourage exactly the kind of weapon abuse and game manipulation that Bungie seeks to discourage by designing commendations not to depend on the use of a single weapon or vehicle.

On the subject of Achievements, I'd like to see them take out multiplayer achievements all together (apart from a few for basically trying out the features, or reaching a certain rank, or others that are similarly abstracted from how the game is actually played). I don't want to have any repeats of those experiences of people whining in lobbies about achievements or hogging the spartan laser looking for a twofer, or whatever else.

Monocle

Shake Appeal said:
On the subject of Achievements, I'd like to see them take out multiplayer achievements all together (apart from a few for basically trying out the features, or reaching a certain rank, or others that are similarly abstracted from how the game is actually played). I don't want to have any repeats of those experiences of people whining in lobbies about achievements or hogging the spartan laser looking for a twofer, or whatever else.
I just edited my previous post to say essentially the same thing. :lol

MrDaravon

Shake Appeal said:

AGREED. I was actually talking with someone about this last night, a lot of the Halo multiplayer achievements are freaking ridiculous. Splatter someone in a mongoose in ranked FFA? Really?

Multiplayer achievements either need to be general/time/kill-based things that anyone can get regardless of skill or playstyle, or they need to not be there at all.

Also the link does NOT work, but as per normal on Giantbomb you can see videos that aren't up yet in the search:

154x3tk.png

So I was goin through some videos I had of the Halo 3 BETA on my Youtube channel. They were from a dude on B.net who'd gotten in early through F&F and I was hosting them for him. One of the descriptions: This is a video of one of the new game types on Halo 3. Its called VIP and looks quite cool. Not me playing. :lol I must have been extremely excited to play that BETA!

People still comment on the Valhalla game every once in a while. It's my highest viewed video :lol Such a nostalgia trip.

It's monday afternoon in the UK, where is all the footage!!!!!!!???

Oh wait 99% of gaming blogs seem to be American :(

Shake Appeal said:
After the talk bungie gave a long time ago about not wanting to feature multiplayer adjusting achievements and referenced gears headshots one, they go and add their own in like 2 kills with one laser shot, for weeks people were talking in the lobby and asking if anyone wants to buddy up and earn it :lol

The best multi achievements are things like "X ammount of wins" and "Y total kill count" as those are ones you will earn from playing the game normally over time. Could always have ones for hitting certain ranks but people might boost for them.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Diablohead said:
It's monday afternoon in the UK, where is all the footage!!!!!!!???

Oh wait 99% of gaming blogs seem to be American :(

Yep, not a peep yet. I know there was Australian, French and British press events, wondering if there is a set agreed time to be fair to everyone or something.

JaggedSac

Are the daily and weekly challenges the only challenges in the game? Or is there a huge set that are always there? Daily and weekly only would be better as that would cut out rank boosting for the most part. I am tired of getting messages from people wanting MS points to join a 10th prestige lobby. Lame.

Dani said:
Yep, not a peep yet. I know there was Australian, French and British press events, wondering if there is a set agreed time to be fair to everyone or something.

Normally everything is embargoed till around 21:00 or 19:00 GMT 1+ for Europeans. At least thats what my past experience has been.

NJ Shlice

Loxley said:
I just downloaded the Reach Guide iPhone App, and to whomever made it (I know it's one of you lurking around here) fucking great job. Seriously, nice presentation, and the included videos of each weapon and armor ability was an unexpected and awesome addition :D

All around a top notch app.

:D

Not a Jellyfish said:
Hmmm, I picture people surrounding a wraith and all using armor lock to blow it up. I wonder how many people it takes to fully destroy it. :D
I say we try it. :D

Letters said:
I'm sure these bastards will find some time to stop by to brag, and then wait for the rage responses... :/
Can you imagine the xbl hate spam for the folks getting F&F? How bad was it for those that got in on the H3 beta early?

Notifications: ON [OFF]

Shake Appeal said:
There are other reasons it makes sense to have multiple generators to hit. Unless you want to avoid a clusterfuck king of the hill situation, you need a push-pull dynamic to the game, where attackers can feint at grabbing one and then move on another, or just jerk the Spartan forces around as much as possible. It also opens up possibilities for stealth. Ideally the territories will flash or turn red on the Spartan HUD when they are occupied, and the game will take on the slightest flavour of Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs.
2 fireteams attempt to draw Spartan fire while the other two move off to one of the other generator locations? Ugh, Invasion sounds sooo badass.

245zzh4.jpg

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Multiplayer acheivements should be based around something like medals and daily/weekly challenges.

So unlock 50 unique medals or, 1000 total medals or sometihng similar.

Doesnt force a particular playstyle or weird behaviour such as camping a certain weapon, but encourages everyone to try different things to get different medals.

Unlocks over time for pretty much anyone eventually but works better than a 'play 100 matches' type cheevo as it gives up the goods sooner for those who do well and get tons of medals.

Top Bottom