• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB said:
He's also a designer. Not sure if that's what he'll be doing at 343i, but he's designed maps for an XBLA game that Certain Affinity did as well as helped on several aspects of Reach. Playlist management was a small component of his job.

He also happens to be a nice guy and not deserving of all the shit he (still, for some reason) gets here. Personally, I'm quite glad he landed there, both for him and them.
Yeah, I don't understand why people are still hating on Shishka months after Reach's release. I don't think he deserved the hate to begin with: I thought he did a fine job with the playlists.

Botolf said:
Hate me all ya want, but I rather like a lot of what Reach did multiplayer-wise. It has scratched itches I never knew I had, and is satisfying in ways Halo 3 and 2 weren't for me.

- Bloom: Expanding reticle or no, I play a fair amount of shooters with inaccurate weapons fire. Precision weaponry will always have its place, but I get bored when it doesn't have any significant drawbacks or is essentially being delivered to players constantly. The DMR strikes a nice balance, I think.

- Armour Abilities: They're fun and make for interesting situations. Yes, even Armour Lock (when not abused/overly frequent).
I heartily enjoy Reach too, and a lot of the changes are great. Despite this, I present:
---
Junior Member ncsuDuncan's Gameplay Changelist Wishlist... List

- Bloom:
Reticle bloom is fine, and I like having to pace my shots. But I'd still prefer it to be consistent. I see two options for this:
A) Shots will always land on the circumference of the reticle circle, so when the circle expands they will never randomly land in the middle. (This would probably require faster bloom settling.)
B) Shots always land in the exact center of the circle, but as the reticle expands the kickback effect of each shot worsens (so you have to adjust your aim more to fire faster).

- Vehicles:
Warthog:
My absolute favorite thing to do in Halo 3 was man the Warthog turret. My friend Ritchie would always play and he preferred driving, so we were a deadly team of driver/gunner, he'd call out targets over the mic or with the Warthog horn.

In Reach, the Warthog is an absolute joke. I still play with Ritchie a ton, but every time we try our old tactic out it ends horribly. The turret is far too weak, and the new Hog driving physics coupled with the new damage model make it a deathtrap.
I'd increase the turret damage slightly, double the Hog's health, and halve the damage the Hog takes from collisions (especially with armor-locked enemies).

Falcon:
A) Give it a passenger seat for transporting flag carriers. I still don't understand why the best feature of the Hornet was eliminated.
B) The Falcon's turrets need a better camera or faster rotation. I love the "Warthog of the skies", but it's frustrating how hard it is to spot enemies even with a decent pilot.

Scorpion/Wraith:
A) Eliminate the "plant grenade" option. It's frustrating how easy it is for an enemy to sprint/roll behind you and quickly plant a grenade. There's no defense, aside from backing into a corner. I like letting boarders melee the vehicle to damage it, because it takes slightly longer and gives the tank pilot a chance to have his teammates shoot the boarder off. (Or bail)
B) Which brings me to another point: can anyone ever successfully bail from a vehicle? I'd be more receptive of the "plant grenade" option if I had a chance to exit the vehicle before it exploded. As it stands, I feel like I'm trapped in the pilot seat for an eternity before my Spartan decides to get out.

Banshee:
A) Reduce collision damage slightly. I don't like barrel-rolling into an enemy Banshee and exploding.
B) Also, it would be nice to have a Lock-On warning when someone with a Rocket Launcher or Rocket Hog has a lock on you, but also increase the homing capabilities of those weapons. The Falcon could use this too, it's annoying when you're at full health and you just explode with no warning. It shouldn't be easy to dodge a rocket, but at least it won't be as surprising when you die.

Armor Abilities:
Armor Lock:
A) Any time spent in a lock does not count towards your shield recharge time, i.e. if you just took damage and it takes 7 seconds to recharge, you can't armor lock for 8 seconds and come out with full shield. (Or maybe if you take fire while in AL, you don't take damage but your shield recharge timer is still reset.)
B) Reduce the collision damage armor lock does to vehicles. It can still stop the vehicle and do some damage, but not immediately destroy it. People who time their AL release right can actually use the EMP to disable a Warthog and then steal it, but not get a triple kill just for having the right AA at the right time.
C) Damage taken while Armor Locking should slightly decrease the amount of charge remaining. So if someone Armor Locks next to you, shooting him will make him pop out faster. (This might reduce the need for the changes in option A).

Active Camo:
If you zoom in with the scope while Active Camo is on, your invisibility fades to what it we be if you were moving at full speed. Radar Jammer is unaffected.

Drop Shield:
If two drop shields touch, they both disappear. Similar to the effect Armor Lock has on them. Layered drop shields are a pain in objective (although thankfully the playlists have fixed most of that).

Weapons:
Focus Rifle: Keep the damage as low as it is now, but add a slight slowdown effect to the target (infantry only). That, or increase the damage as the heat builds up.

Spartan Laser:
The targeting laser, that lets you know someone is aiming at you? Give it some kind of audio/visual effect that changes half a second before the laser fires, so you have a better idea of when exactly you need to dodge. Make it pulse brighter, give it some static or a distinctive sound, anything that gives the target a better shot at dodging.
---

Okay, I think that's enough for now. Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to know what you guys thought of these pipe-dream ideas. I'm welcome to discussion, I just don't want to accidentally open a Pandora's box of Bloom Debate.

And just to clarify, I love Reach. These are just things that I think would work better for my personal style of playing.

Dax01 said:
Yeah, I don't understand why people are still hating on Shishka months after Reach's release. I don't think he deserved the hate to being with: I thought he did a fine job with the playlists.

Good Lord of course the only time I pop into this thread dax is big surprise, agreeing with Ghaleon.

I (we?) dislike him greatly because he fucked up Halo 3 Playlist management and then when he left, IT STILL DIDNT GET BETTER.

So I dislike him for Halo 3 directly and for Reach by association because it didn't get better.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
urk said:
Oh, he deserves it. He's from Alaska. But yeah, he's a great guy, an even better lunch bro, and he will not punch you if you ridicule his enormous cranial structure.
He truly is the Rihanna of Lord Britishes.

urk said:
Oh, he deserves it. He's from Alaska. But yeah, he's a great guy, an even better lunch bro, and he will not punch you if you ridicule his enormous cranial structure.
Is he seriously from Alaska? We're Northern brothers!

GhaleonEB

Lead Based Paint said:
Good Lord of course the only time I pop into this thread dax is big surprise, agreeing with Ghaleon.
He happens to be correct.

I (we?) dislike him greatly because he fucked up Halo 3 Playlist management and then when he left, IT STILL DIDNT GET BETTER.

So I dislike him for Halo 3 directly and for Reach by association because it didn't get better.
That's fine. I'm not defending his job in the playlist department, because it's beside the point. I saying it's over, it's a new game, someone else is doing it, and Shishka aka Chad the recently unemployed in a crappy economy and very nice Alaskan with a big head person has a job at 343i. That is a good thing.

People should drop the internet grudge.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
urk said:
He was also really good sport and downed the two double shots of bacon-infused bourbon (like a boss) I ordered for him after the show.

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
I heartily enjoy Reach too, and a lot of the changes are great. Despite this, I present:

Scorpion/Wraith:
A) Eliminate the "plant grenade" option. It's frustrating how easy it is for an enemy to sprint/roll behind you and quickly plant a grenade. There's no defense, aside from backing into a corner. I like letting boarders melee the vehicle to damage it, because it takes slightly longer and gives the tank pilot a chance to have his teammates shoot the boarder off. (Or bail)
B) Which brings me to another point: can anyone ever successfully bail from a vehicle? I'd be more receptive of the "plant grenade" option if I had a chance to exit the vehicle before it exploded. As it stands, I feel like I'm trapped in the pilot seat for an eternity before my Spartan decides to get out.

Banshee:
A) Reduce collision damage slightly. I don't like barrel-rolling into an enemy Banshee and exploding.
B) Also, it would be nice to have a Lock-On warning when someone with a Rocket Launcher or Rocket Hog has a lock on you, but also increase the homing capabilities of those weapons. The Falcon could use this too, it's annoying when you're at full health and you just explode with no warning. It shouldn't be easy to dodge a rocket, but at least it won't be as surprising when you die.
I appreciate the thought put into this, but the last thing the Banshee and Scorpion need are to be even more powerful.

lybertyboy said:
bacon-infused bourbon
I can't wait to start a grease fire trying to make my own.

Havok said:
I appreciate the thought put into this, but the last thing the Banshee and Scorpion need are to be even more powerful.

Well the Banshee would still be just as vulnerable to DMR fire as before. I don't think it would hurt gameplay too much if the number of Banshee suicides due to collisions was reduced.

And yes, the Scorpion doesn't need a boost either. I just have personal issues with infantry being able to take down an armored tank so quickly. It shouldn't be as fast as "Hold X to board. Press RT to plant grenade."

Louis Wu

Lead Based Paint said:
You, sir, have just made me spill my coffee in surprise. Please pass the paper towels.

When you're mad at someone for something, and they stop being part of that something, and that something doesn't improve after they leave, you should apologize to them for being mad in the first place.

After all... if the problem had been what you thought it was, it would have gotten better when the cause was removed, right?

inb4plywood'sbitching

GhaleonEB said:
He happens to be correct.

That's fine. I'm not defending his job in the playlist department, because it's beside the point. I saying it's over, it's a new game, someone else is doing it, and Shishka aka Chad the recently unemployed in a crappy economy and very nice person has a job at 343i. That is a good thing.

People should drop the internet grudge.

Ok two things:

Lets be clear, I don't hate the man. I disliked what he did with Halo 3. I do not dislike his character, humor (or lack theoreof lololol), or whatever. I'm glad he found a job and I hope he does a fantastic job at 343i.

Secondly, lets not brush away Halo 3 like it was some small little hiccup ages ago. That game took up many hours, days of my life. So to tell me that my anger, however small and harmless, is no longer worth expressing is silly.

It is even more appropriate given the state of Reach.

Louis Wu said:
You, sir, have just made me spill my coffee in surprise. Please pass the paper towels.

When you're mad at someone for something, and they stop being part of that something, and that something doesn't improve after they leave, you should apologize to them for being mad in the first place.

After all... if the problem had been what you thought it was, it would have gotten better when the cause was removed, right?

inb4plywood'sbitching

It was a joke based on how I felt when Reach turned out the way it is. Relax.

And no, I'm not going to apologize to him since Reach isn't good either. He still fucked up. Just cause the second person couldn't get it right either does no make him any less at fault.

Falagard

ncsuDuncan said:
I can't wait to start a grease fire trying to make my own.

Well the Banshee would still be just as vulnerable to DMR fire as before. I don't think it would hurt gameplay too much if the number of Banshee suicides due to collisions was reduced.

And yes, the Scorpion doesn't need a boost either. I just have personal issues with infantry being able to take down an armored tank so quickly. It shouldn't be as fast as "Hold X to board. Press RT to plant grenade."

How about... the Scorpion and Banshee be removed from multiplayer altogether. They ruin every map on which they're used.

Lead Based Paint said:
And no, I'm not going to apologize to him since Reach isn't good either. He still fucked up. Just cause the second person couldn't get it right either does no make him any less at fault.
...You're not making any sense.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
---
Junior Member ncsuDuncan's Gameplay Changelist Wishlist... List

- Bloom:
Reticle bloom is fine, and I like having to pace my shots. But I'd still prefer it to be consistent. I see two options for this:
A) Shots will always land on the circumference of the reticle circle, so when the circle expands they will never randomly land in the middle. (This would probably require faster bloom settling.)
B) Shots always land in the exact center of the circle, but as the reticle expands the kickback effect of each shot worsens (so you have to adjust your aim more to fire faster).
Disagree. If you do this then you might as well have a fixed ROF for the thing. Bloom either needs to go entirely, or needs to stay. I'm fine with letting it stay, it doesn't bother me at all. Spam at close range, hold your breath for the final shot. I dunno. I loved the intense strafe heavy BR firefights, but for me bloom makes every firefight interesting. Also, if anything, I'd have that decrease bloom on the DMR. Just so it can kill faster. I wish we had that option...

ncsuDuncan said:
- Vehicles:
Warthog:
My absolute favorite thing to do in Halo 3 was man the Warthog turret. My friend Ritchie would always play and he preferred driving, so we were a deadly team of driver/gunner, he'd call out targets over the mic or with the Warthog horn.

In Reach, the Warthog is an absolute joke. I still play with Ritchie a ton, but every time we try our old tactic out it ends horribly. The turret is far too weak, and the new Hog driving physics coupled with the new damage model make it a deathtrap.
I'd increase the turret damage slightly, double the Hog's health, and halve the damage the Hog takes from collisions (especially with armor-locked enemies).
This applies to vehicles in General. I still hate the bullets to warthog physics haven't changed from Halo 3. I seriously doubt bullets can flip a goddamn jeep while its in the air. The turret isn't hyper accurate laser of bullets anymore which I'm fine with. It still does decent damage. tbh, it reminds me of the Halo 2 hog.

The problem with the vehicles in reach is that they are too weak health wise.
1. Rocket, Plasma Launcher, Fuel Rod, Laser. That's 4 anti-vehicle weapons. No wait, 5. Let's not forget the ridiculous sniper rifle. gg banshees.
2. Plasma Pistol, Grenade Launcher, Concussion Rifle. All come in some some loadouts. Concussion Rifle messes vehicles up. GL can explode and EMP. Plasma Pistol is everywhere.
3. Armor Lock. That is all.
4. The biggest fail. DMR. A single spartan can down a banshee with DMR fire. But whenever you have a vehicle rolling around, it attracts attention. Team DMR fire is too overpowered in terms of vehicles. ESPECIALLY with the vehicle health model. You can take some fire and escape. But when you come back 3 bullets will make you explode. Maybe if there was a way to heal vehicles... too bad there isn't.

Seriously. Reach REALLY killed vehicle combat.

ncsuDuncan said:
Falcon:
A) Give it a passenger seat for transporting flag carriers. I still don't understand why the best feature of the Hornet was eliminated.
B) The Falcon's turrets need a better camera or faster rotation. I love the "Warthog of the skies", but it's frustrating how hard it is to spot enemies even with a decent pilot.
I don't mind the turrets, but I too am disappointed at the lack of passenger seats. When I first heard about the Falcon I was ecstatic. When I learned it had only 3 seats I worried, but I thought that since the turrets fold out, I was thinking if you get in it with an objective you just wouldn't fold the turret out. Nope. No more epic hornet rides.

ncsuDuncan said:
Banshee:
Collision damage goes back to complains about the vehicle health model.
But I agree with the lock on warning. Their really needs to be one.

ncsuDuncan said:
Armor Abilities:
Armor Lock:
A) Any time spent in a lock does not count towards your shield recharge time, i.e. if you just took damage and it takes 7 seconds to recharge, you can't armor lock for 8 seconds and come out with full shield. (Or maybe if you take fire while in AL, you don't take damage but your shield recharge timer is still reset.)
B) Reduce the collision damage armor lock does to vehicles. It can still stop the vehicle and do some damage, but not immediately destroy it. People who time their AL release right can actually use the EMP to disable a Warthog and then steal it, but not get a triple kill just for having the right AA at the right time.
C) Damage taken while Armor Locking should slightly decrease the amount of charge remaining. So if someone Armor Locks next to you, shooting him will make him pop out faster. (This might reduce the need for the changes in option A).
I would prefer it gone all together. But you have some good ideas regarding its nerfing. I might add: Remove frosting iff possible. And Disable 360 degree view and turn around. Or just give a second or so stun to an enemy exiting armor lock. The other option is to make Armor Lock a 2-3 time use, but have it only last for a second or less. Turn it less into a SAVE ME button, but more into a reflex oriented save me. It would speed up the gameplay while keeping its invulnerability function.

ncsuDuncan said:
Active Camo:
If you zoom in with the scope while Active Camo is on, your invisibility fades to what it we be if you were moving at full speed. Radar Jammer is unaffected.
SUCH A GOOD IDEA. FUND IT.

ncsuDuncan said:
Drop Shield:
If two drop shields touch, they both disappear. Similar to the effect Armor Lock has on them. Layered drop shields are a pain in objective (although thankfully the playlists have fixed most of that).
Remove it from objective. Those are good ideas, but you can still have a good bridge of them that don't touch.
While we're on the subject, I feel drop shield needs to be weaker. Sure you can destroy it, but you need a goddamn tank or rocket to do it...and I'm not going to run around with Armor Lock just to pop drop shields.

ncsuDuncan said:
Weapons:
Focus Rifle: Keep the damage as low as it is now, but add a slight slowdown effect to the target (infantry only). That, or increase the damage as the heat builds up.

YES GOOD IDEAS. FUND THEM NOW.

ncsuDuncan said:
Spartan Laser:
The targeting laser, that lets you know someone is aiming at you? Give it some kind of audio/visual effect that changes half a second before the laser fires, so you have a better idea of when exactly you need to dodge. Make it pulse brighter, give it some static or a distinctive sound, anything that gives the target a better shot at dodging.
Yes. Been wanting something like this since Halo 3.

Huge post my god.

This thread has been an interesting read these past few days, haha. Talk about a lot of rampant speculation.

Oh god, the new maps look so great. March 15th cant come soon enough.

That said, about the armor.. I doubt that they would show it in the trailer and screens and have it not be available in some form. How it will be available, I have no clue. But it would be a major way to mislead people by showing it, not commenting on it.. and not having it exist in one way or another. Im curious, but my expectations are set low as they should be in this case.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
lybertyboy said:
He was also really good sport and downed the two double shots of bacon-infused bourbon (like a boss) I ordered for him after the show.

Did you pour it down your chin to create a gurgling and hairy (but still sexy) bacon bourbon fountain?

wwm0nkey

2lu45ci.jpg

Still want :(

lybertyboy said:
We don't have a booth or panel, but we'll be at PAX East.

Don't think it's a secret, but there's some sort of tournament featuring the Defiant maps there.
Perhaps it is still a bit to early to give details on this, but do you think 343 will have a booth at PAX Prime?

GhaleonEB

Demoncarnotaur said:
This thread has been an interesting read these past few days, haha. Talk about a lot of rampant speculation.

Oh god, the new maps look so great. March 15th cant come soon enough.

That said, about the armor.. I doubt that they would show it in the trailer and screens and have it not be available in some form. How it will be available, I have no clue. But it would be a major way to mislead people by showing it, not commenting on it.. and not having it exist in one way or another. Im curious, but my expectations are set low as they should be in this case.
Louis Wu said:

inb4plywood'sbitching

Stop being reasonable and level headed you two, it's scaring the children.

Urk, any chance LarzyB shares some Firefight love in the BWU?

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
The fuck are you doing???

My heart skipped a few beats when I was scrolling and saw that xD
Well thats kind of the response I was expecting lol

Seriously though, needs to happen and can happen very cheaply. No graphics upgrades, just port over the Xbox version with 1080p and 60 FPS and I will spend $15-$20 on that bitch lol

Oozer3993

A27_StarWolf said:
use your focus rifle to cook your bacon!

edit(when are customs? :p?)

Customs are usually Saturday nights starting about 8 PM EST.

Letters said:
The fuck are you doing???

My heart skipped a few beats when I was scrolling and saw that xD

Glad I wasn't the only one. I got really excited. For about ten seconds until I started scrolling down. Now I'm sad :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
urk said:

Punch no, headbutt yes?

lybertyboy said:

two doubleshots ain't shit, back in my prime I drank a half a bottle of jack straight from the spout in one go.

You DON'T wanna go against me in drinking games.

wwm0nkey said:
Well thats kind of the response I was expecting lol

Seriously though, needs to happen and can happen very cheaply. No graphics upgrades, just port over the Xbox version with 1080p and 60 FPS and I will spend $15-$20 on that bitch lol

Texture upgrade definitely. Like H2Vista did to H2, I think?

I'd also appreciate more control settings, Bumper Jumper in H2 would be great. Yes on the HD and 60fps though.

Please don't fix the BXB, BXR, YY reload, XBXR reloadBXR, and of course the RRXYYRRXYY's.

kylej

Banned
Louis Wu said:

On what planet does that make sense? I'm not even talking about Shishka here.

You have a favorite car company. Someone moves in and runs the company into the ground. He leaves and the company doesn't get any better the year or two after he leaves. I should then apologize to the guy who ruined my favorite car company? What?

wwm0nkey

xxjuicesxx said:
Texture upgrade definitely. Like H2Vista did to H2, I think?

I'd also appreciate more control settings, Bumper Jumper in H2 would be great. Yes on the HD and 60fps though.

Please don't fix the BXB, BXR, YY reload, XBXR reloadBXR, and of course the RRXYYRRXYY's.
Ok yeah everything you just said should happen lol. Super jumps included.

I mean Halo 1 I want the super HD new art asset retail copy thing with it but for Halo 2 I want it just slightly polished and released on XBLA. Hell just the MP too. Could probably all happen by the Summer of Arcade if work started getting done on it now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kylej said:

You have a favorite car company. Someone moves in and runs the company into the ground. He leaves and the company doesn't get any better the year or two after he leaves. I should then apologize to the guy who ruined my favorite car company? What?

Don't you know? When someone fucks something up and they get removed the problem is IMMEDIATELY rectified. It happens all over the place, presidential changes, company management, financial changes, regime changes, you know, EVERYWHERE.

wwm0nkey said:
Ok yeah everything you just said should happen lol. Super jumps included.

I mean Halo 1 I want the super HD new art asset retail copy thing with it but for Halo 2 I want it just slightly polished and released on XBLA. Hell just the MP too. Could probably all happen by the Summer of Arcade if work started getting done on it now.

Haha lets run with this. Creating kill boundaries for breaking the super jumps off in MM but leaving them (since they probably would have to recode the engine to fix) in. Its like a part of H2 and a whole other aspect that those map breakers/bouncers love exploring.

Of course I agree it would just be MP section, making other aspects would just leave a population not using MP and I mean, whats the player population we'd even be looking at? Who knows if you would just have dead MM like you have in H2Vista. The two would have similar price points.

Also thats a good counterpoint Jelyk.

wwm0nkey

xxjuicesxx said:
Haha lets run with this. Creating kill boundaries for breaking the super jumps off in MM but leaving them (since they probably would have to recode the engine to fix) in. Its like a part of H2 and a whole other aspect that those map breakers/bouncers love exploring.

Of course I agree it would just be MP section, making other aspects would just leave a population not using MP and I mean, whats the player population we'd even be looking at? Who knows if you would just have dead MM like you have in H2Vista. The two would have similar price points.

Also thats a good counterpoint Jelyk.
Creating Kill boundaries in MM but leaving them in customs would be great.

It wont die like Halo 2 Vista, that had a god awful launch and it doesn't have real MM either. A lot of people would be very happy with Halo 2 MP on XBLA and its pretty much guaranteed to sell.

A little late here but congrats to Shishka. I was wondering where he had happened off to. Now if we could get a 20 on Man Cannon.

Re: playlist management. It's unfortunate that so many fixable things are still wrong in the game types/maps rotation. Yet, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game when I can play it. If I played as much as some of you, I do think I'd have a harsher sentiment toward the situation. Just stating where I am personally on the subject :)

kylej said:

I don't this analogy applies here. This would work if this was still Halo 3, but it's a new game.
A new slate to work with.

It's like someone else beside Uwe Boll making a Far Cry movie sequel. The missteps of the first movie wouldn't necessarily carry over -- assuming the new director and/or production team didn't follow in his footsteps.

Also, sorry for comparing Shiska to Uwe.

O D I N

Gui_PT said:
So we're gonna get a few games going on later today, right?

If you're willing to play with a Junior, I'll be on late tonight. Wouldn't mind playing.

GT: Big Boss 0DIN (yes, that's a zero)

Hitmonchan107 said:
Well, damn. I thought he left back in August. And he hadn't posted in the forums since July.

I wasn't able to follow the OT when it moved to Community.

Even if he didn't technically work on the finished product, he definitely had a period where he basically ignored Halo 3 to work on the Reach Beta playlist, that in my opinion, wasn't too great either.

I have no problem with the guy I just really dislike his playlist management and think that position demands someone who has a really really really strong work ethic and understanding of both casual and high level play, thats me bee tee dub.

Top Bottom