• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
What...the...this is on the level of the guy taking a picture with his stuffed Pikachu.

Tashi, I found the stickers, the gamepad one is mildly wrinkled, but the Bioshock one is mint. To be honest though, after reading your posts about liking bloom and AA's, I almost made a video of me ripping them up.
Lolol what, I hate bloom. Shit's the worst thing ever. Bungie are stupid heads, I looooove 343i. Wooooohooooooo

Booshka

Woorloog said:
I'm pretty sure it does have a bit of aim assist. Maybe in form of bullet magnetism rather than reticule magetism.
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising supposedly does not contain any aim assist on consoles and it is certainly way harder to aim in it than in any other game i've played on consoles, and i don't think aiming BFBC2 is as hard as OFPDR.
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 don't have any aim assist or magnetism, and those games feel and play great. You aren't trying to out-shoot anyone in those games, just trying to kill zombies and special infected, but there is still a lot of skill to it. I got really good with the Hunting Rifle in the first one and the Auto Sniper in the 2nd, coupled with some good headphones and I was sniping special infected through walls, in mid air and sniping them down from range regularly. People thought I was cheating.

For most shooters on console though, magnetism and aim assist are necessary to replicate the per pixel accuracy of a mouse. The general theory of John Howard's aim assist and magnetism model in Halo CE was to, "create fine motor control out of gross stick movement." When the game is based around out-shooting and out-maneuvering your opponent, you need this mechanic to make it play well.

Counter-Strike on Xbox had no magnetism or aim assist, but because the game is less about moving while shooting, it was easier to manage. Of course it doesn't work nearly as well as a KB&M, but it works pretty well compared to how poorly a twitch arena shooter (like Unreal or Quake games) ported to console plays in comparison to the PC versions.

senador

Banned
thezerofire said:
As far as I can tell yes. It feels really weird to be honest. Quickscoping with a sniper is actually balanced though.

Googling says its very minor assist. I wonder how BF3 will be. I'll be getting that game. I haven't played other online shooters since MW2 came out so it'll be interesting to compare different games to Halo.

Tunavi said:
haha as much as I hate bloom, thats not blooms fault, thats just you missing shots.

Bah! I count five body shots landed and about two headshots that should have, scratch that, would have registered with tighter bloom. Not saying that I didn't miss a few because I most certainly did but I'll be damned if I shouldn't of at least traded kills especially with that last shot. :p

Tashi0106 said:
lol get shit on.

tumblr_lqj0kv8eIj1qbpscho2_250.gif

lol

senador said:
Googling says its very minor assist. I wonder how BF3 will be. I'll be getting that game. I haven't played other online shooters since MW2 came out so it'll be interesting to compare different games to Halo.
If BF3 plays anywhere the same it'll be very different. You'll have to get used to accounting for bullet travel time and bullet drop when you aim at a distance.

Booshka

xxxstylzxxx said:
Bah! I count five body shots landed and about two headshots that should have, scratch that, would have registered with tighter bloom. Not saying that I didn't miss a few because I most certainly did but I'll be damned if I shouldn't of at least traded kills especially with that last shot. :p
Hindsight is 20/20, but if you are that far ahead in a fight, you had half shields and the guy had none, just wait until you have perfect accuracy and hit the headshot. If you just keep spamming, shit like that will happen.

That was just a sloppy play.

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
Lolol what, I hate bloom. Shit's the worst thing ever. Bungie are stupid heads, I looooove 343i. Wooooohooooooo
Tashi- Did you get power yet? It just turned on again at the Jersey Sure. Hope that bitch Irene wasn't too shity for you homie

Gui_PT

Thank you for the games. Sorry for the poor performance, but the lag was ridiculous today.

sWT33.jpg

If a kind soul has an extra render minute, could I get this rendered please? Just a few assassinations I got in a row =P

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lazslo said:
Tashi- Did you get power yet? It just turned on again at the Jersey Sure. Hope that bitch Irene wasn't too shity for you homie

I just got it back 20 minutes ago. 5 days with no power, shit was rough.

GECK

PsychoRaven said:
Most say they're hit or miss on getting it out early or the day of. I find if you want release date Amazon is the way to go. For me they've been perfect and every time I get it the day of release.

YMMV

Amazon has actually screwed me on release day shipping a number of times. One being Halo 3, where thousands didn't get the game until two days after release. Which resulted in me desperately walking into a crowded gamespot buying the game again so I could play it.

But I remember Newegg shipping ODST and Reach a few days early or something.

Merguson

Banned
kylej said:
Just another clip from One Of The Greatest FPS Games Of All Time. I don't see the problem.

A perfect example of bloom working perfectly.

If bloom is intended to make the player slow his shots down and actually hit the target, then it is doing the job. He spammed and lost.

When you play the game of bloom, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

GECK said:
YMMV

Amazon has actually screwed me on release day shipping a number of times. One being Halo 3, where thousands didn't get the game until two days after release. Which resulted in me desperately walking into a crowded gamespot buying the game again so I could play it.

But I remember Newegg shipping ODST and Reach a few days early or something.
I got my Halo 3 the day of release, in the morning actually. We never usually get deliveries in the morning. I was pretty thrilled.

kylej

Banned
Merguson said:
A perfect example of bloom working perfectly.

If bloom is intended to make the player slow his shots down and actually hit the target, then it is doing the job. He spammed and lost.

When you play the game of bloom, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

The other dude spammed and won. Two wrongs don't make a right. Or something.

GhaleonEB

Booshka said:
Hindsight is 20/20, but if you are that far ahead in a fight, you had half shields and the guy had none, just wait until you have perfect accuracy and hit the headshot. If you just keep spamming, shit like that will happen.

It was sloppy play; if he'd slowed his shots a touch he'd have landed a few headshots. But it's also a good illustration of why bloom is not a good game mechanic; to me that's just not a very interesting shootout to watch or experience.

I'm curious what 343 will do if people latch onto both semi-bloom and zero bloom.

Will they keep all three variants of bloom (Reach, semi, zero) in matchmaking?

It's questions like this that make me wish I could've done my damn video interview.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Firefights initiate a flight or fight response. You either fire on the enemy or get away from the enemy's fire at you. Bloom takes this natural response and forces you to halt and stop in the heat of a firefight. Not run away, not continue, just stop. You need to stop and wait for the reticule to reset so that the headshot you've already lined up a second ago will actually connect.

It makes no sense. There should have never have been a mechanic in Halo that makes you stop fighting in the middle of a fight, for any reason.

Booshka

GhaleonEB said:
It was sloppy play; if he'd slowed his shots a touch he'd have landed a few headshots. But it's also a good illustration of why bloom is not a good game mechanic; to me that's just not a very interesting shootout to watch or experience.
Definitely, most close and mid-range DMR duels are not enjoyable to play or watch.

Tunavi said:
literally cannot wait for CEA. god damnit

Not if I go back in time and push forward the release of Combat evolved to september 2nd.

haha as much as I hate bloom, thats not blooms fault, thats just you missing shots.
It is always a time travel for me when I fly to the USA.

cory021

Neo Member
I've been reading Ascendant Justice's Hindsight Halo series. I've read it before, but it's still a very interesting read, I recommend it to anyone who hasn't (though I'm sure most of you have).

Anyways, I'm of wondering if there any other articles like this for other Halo games anywhere else? I'd love to get a more in depth analysis of all the little things that go on in Campaign modes, but it looks like H3 is the only story that's really covered in depth.

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
I just got it back 20 minutes ago. 5 days with no power, shit was rough.
Same here man, so psyched to get my regular life back- it's crazy how much of a hassle just getting shit done for work is without power. Did you keep turning on Light-Switches by habit and instantly feeling stupid afterwards? It took me day 5 to stop flipping them on.
Anyway, I'm watching the Community panel from HaloFest. Kinda weird there isn't any HaloGaf Battlebros in that lineup, at least Ghal shoulda been up there representing us. Shit, I'd even settle for Hitmon or fucking Dax if he was there. Maybe Ghal was asked and declined or something, but I gotta believe Gaf is one of the top 5 influential and well-known Halo Communities. Shit didn't the current community-guy at Bungie hail from Halo-Gaf among other places?

Gui_PT said:
Thank you for the games. Sorry for the poor performance, but the lag was ridiculous today.

sWT33.jpg

If a kind soul has an extra render minute, could I get this rendered please? Just a few assassinations I got in a row =P

Awesome.

You know how many assists I got on those assassinations and beat downs. Bad kids all up in that one.

Fucking Randoms Moment of the Day

Also I like how mic on kinect literally sounds like the guy is gargling balls.

Booshka said:

Not the prettiest display of DMR efficiency, no argument here. Also let me be clear that I'm fully aware of the dynamics of DMR bloom manipulation and cadence as it pertains to maintaining consistent, accurate shots (closing in on 9000 DMR kills myself ^_^).

Thing is, in that particular instance the one thing that prevented me from getting the kill was not my lack of accuracy (5 body shots + at least 3 shots with the reticule centered at the head/torso) but a flawed mechanic. Also I'm pretty certain that if I had actually decided to wait for the bloom to retract I would have risked putting myself at a disadvantage assuming that my opponent was marginally skilled with the sniper rifle. Sloppy play yes but I still feel that I landed more than enough shots to earn that kill, the bloom apparently took it upon itself to claim otherwise.

GhaleonEB said:

What he said ;)

Obviously the trick to bloom is thus: when you think you need to pace, spam. When you think you need to spam, pace. If nothing works, well you're just fucked, time to browse the internet.

I need someone to do the weekly challenge with me. Any takers?
Mush said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23074037&player=Mush nz

I know this probably won't be very impressive to you guys but as a casual Halo player I think this is my proudest achievement to date. It's the first time I've gotten more than a Killtacular in MP though, so that's something I guess. If a very very kind soul could render this for me so I can keep this forever in my heart I will love you. A lot.
Sure dude. I'm on it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:
Did anybody upload a clear picture of the UNSC Infinity from the Halo Fest concept wall?

=)

Is that the name of this ship? I had to capture this using a crappy low-res video and photoshop it a bit. I'd love a better copy of it.

prototype.jpg

Dani said:
Firefights initiate a flight or fight response. You either fire on the enemy or get away from the enemy's fire at you. Bloom takes this natural response and forces you to halt and stop in the heat of a firefight. Not run away, not continue, just stop. You need to stop and wait for the reticule to reset so that the headshot you've already lined up a second ago will actually connect.

It makes no sense. There should have never have been a mechanic in Halo that makes you stop fighting in the middle of a fight, for any reason.

This is on point as well. And with unavailable cover on many maps it's just like why? Or you DO happen to run and nades just follow you. Lose-lose.

Dani said:
=)

Is that the name of this ship? I had to capture this using a crappy low-res video and photoshop it a bit.

prototype.jpg
Yes it is the name of the ship. Unfortunately you can't see a lot of details on this pic.

I'm going to say: Halo 4 won't play before 2558.

Dani said:
=)

Is that the name of this ship? I had to capture this using a crappy low-res video and photoshop it a bit.
I'm trying my damnedest to remember, but I could've sworn that was the name of it.

The picture I took of it isn't much clearer.

The text below the picture read:

"Halo 4 will continue to capture the spellbinding grandeur and spirit of exploration fans have come to expect from the series, as seen in this concept image of a starship technology prototype set against the backdrop of a beautiful alien world."

(To me, it sounds like a UNSC frigate with Forerunner technology.)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm trying my damnedest to remember, but I could've sworn that was the name of it.

"Halo 4 will continue to capture the spellbinding grandeur and spirit of exploration fans have come to expect from the series, as seen in this concept image of a starship technology prototype set against the backdrop of a beautiful alien world."

Hopefully someone took pictures of the wall and will upload them.

Hopefully 343 will release the concept art in nice high res. =)

wwm0nkey

I posted this in the last OT but I don't think it got much of a discussion. Anyways since the TU can't do any UI changes that allow us to alter the game types with the TU settings, why not make something like this but have it automatically upload the gametype to our file shares?

lolyn.png

Hitmonchan107 said:

I uploaded the pic. But it doesn't look good either.

Again: I can't wait to read Glasslands. The Return by Kevin Grace gives a lot of teases already. After reading I created my own hypothesis and hope I bet right. hehe. (I love that creating a hypothesis in my mind and hoping that you are right. <3 )

Top Bottom