• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

PNut

Banned
soldat7 said:
Never thought I'd say this, but I might go back to Halo 3. The beta was fantastic, I adore the campaign, but Reach multiplayer and matchmaking is a miserable pile of crud. Maybe Anniversary will bring me back. Melee, spawns, veto, Forge World maps, lack of new maps (that you can actually play)...it's utter misery.

So how is Halo 3 these days?

Wonderful. The maps are fun to play, gameplay is fast paced, no silly AA's getting in the way, and you only rank up if you win games. To me it's perfect. Sure the lag can be a pain sometimes but 90% of the time I get lag free games.

Let me put it this way.......when I go back to Halo 3 now Epitaph is more fun to play than most of the maps in Reach. Never thought this would be the case.

Anyway, send me FR if you want to play sometime.

Edit- Halo 3 BTB is the best of the series IMO.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My senior quote was, "Don't ever let anyone stop you from blooming into the person you're meant to be"

CQImt.jpg

Havok

PNut said:
Edit- Halo 3 BTB is the best of the series IMO.
I guess if you enjoy having just two or three decent BTB maps to play on and really love VIP variants and Heavies, sure. Not to mention that the ranked version was cut for the wait-in-matchmaking-for-20-minutes playlist, aka Squad Battle.

orznge

Banned
Devolution said:
Never really understood why they distanced themselves so much from h1, when you consider people who've played all still list it as the most balanced and fun.

Also I was thinking about other FPSes I've played and compared to most of them, Halo is slow, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, it worked for the series. Reach however straight up stalls whether with bloom or AAs. I don't think anyone (other than Bungie apparently) wanted Halo to play any slower, it was perfect.

I'd bet that many of them only "really got into" Halo with Halo 2 and onwards and didn't have a background in competitive FPS. CE shares a lot more in common with deathmatch games than it does with its own sequels.

Booshka and Blue Scrote, thanks for doing the coop challenge with me. Winter Contingency can DIAF. Also, I officially dislike Boardwalk and Bro Slayer, and the combination of both is even worse. No I don't want to sit here and watch my teammates in combat for 30 seconds just to spawn on them. The alternate spawn points are just as bad. Bleah.
Devolution said:
Never really understood why they distanced themselves so much from h1, when you consider people who've played all still list it as the most balanced and fun.

Also I was thinking about other FPSes I've played and compared to most of them, Halo is slow, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, it worked for the series. Reach however straight up stalls whether with bloom or AAs. I don't think anyone (other than Bungie apparently) wanted Halo to play any slower, it was perfect.
Devo, your posts always make me so happy.

EDIT: Where did everybody go? *crickets chirping*

heckfu

Banned
Yall, two things. I bought a lot of tacos tonight.
And secondly, going along with the theme of tonight's thread, not all juniors are polarizing.

that is all.

/drunj

senador

Banned
thezerofire said:
If BF3 plays anywhere the same it'll be very different. You'll have to get used to accounting for bullet travel time and bullet drop when you aim at a distance.

Hmm, I'll have to give it a try but that sounds rough. It looks extremely awesome though.

Mush said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23074037&player=Mush nz

I know this probably won't be very impressive to you guys but as a casual Halo player I think this is my proudest achievement to date. It's the first time I've gotten more than a Killtacular in MP though, so that's something I guess. If a very very kind soul could render this for me so I can keep this forever in my heart I will love you. A lot.

Nice dude, I bet that felt awesome.

wwm0nkey

senador said:
Hmm, I'll have to give it a try but that sounds rough. It looks extremely awesome though.
Oh no in Battlefield its EXTREMELY rewarding lol

I know a lot of people get pissed at me for sniping them a mile away with the pistol in that game though :lol

Deputy Moonman said:
EDIT: Where did everybody go? *crickets chirping*
Sleep tiems?

May get me some glares but my "one thing for the Halo 4 team" would be to not be afraid to change some things. Don't limit Universe and character depth to the terminals and environment. Try new things.
Don't play it too safe. If a lot MP is sacred, then let SP be where ye push the boundaries. Have the themes of Halo of course, but don't limit yourself to the expected.

This doesn't apply to their egregious redesign of the Halo installation!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
heckfu said:
Yall, two things. I bought a lot of tacos tonight.
And secondly, going along with the theme of tonight's thread, not all juniors are polarizing.

that is all.

/drunj
Bought Tacos? You should have made them, it's the only way.

Zeouterlimits said:
Sleep tiems?

May get me some glares but my "one thing for the Halo 4 team" would be to not be afraid to change some things. Don't limit Universe and character depth to the terminals and environment. Try new things.
Don't play it too safe. If a lot MP is sacred, then let SP be where ye push the boundaries. Have the themes of Halo of course, but don't limit yourself to the expected.

This does apply to their egregious redesign of the Halo installation!
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I see 343 going crazy with halo4, and not necessarily in a bad way. I think they'll keep the game play true to halo form, but really stretch the traditional world with all kinds of new stuff.

As for Installation 4 or whatever the new FF map is called, I don't mind the changes. If the biggest complaint people have is about the shiny metallic textures and the spinning device in the center, everything is just fine imo.

Ramirez

Ended up playing Halo 3 most of the night tonight, and while it has its own issues, it's so much more fun than Reach.

This was actually like the first time in a week I had played regular non TU Reach, and it's almost unplayable for me now. Stuff like melee bleed through alone makes the game so much more enjoyable, let alone playing with no bloom.

Deputy Moonman said:
As for Installation 4 or whatever the new FF map is called, I don't mind the changes. If the biggest complaint people have is about the shiny metallic textures and the spinning device in the center, everything is just fine imo.
The Firefight map is less of an issue than the Anniversary changes to the installation.

Booties

Banned
So any word on how BPR is going to be used? Someone made fun of mine once (82) and I was confused as hell. I read up on it and now I get it. I didn't find anything saying it will be in reach or halo 4 yet though.

Zeouterlimits said:
The Firefight map is less of an issue than the Anniversary changes to the installation.
ooh... okay. I was on the wrong page then. From what I've seen of the campaign, the level is much brighter and vibrant. I liked it. Was this what you were referring to and what are your thoughts on the change?
Ramirez said:
Ended up playing Halo 3 most of the night tonight, and while it has its own issues, it's so much more fun than Reach.

This was actually like the first time in a week I had played regular non TU Reach, and it's almost unplayable for me now. Stuff like melee bleed through alone makes the game so much more enjoyable, let alone playing with no bloom.
I played some Halo3 with Bobs99 day before yesterday and I was having massive issues with lag and accuracy. I hate bloom and a bunch of other things about Reach, but it was hard to adjust to the more dated Halo3. It's crazy to think that both games are for the same generation console.
Booties said:
So any word on how BPR is going to be used? Someone made fun of mine once (82) and I was confused as hell. I read up on it and now I get it. I didn't find anything saying it will be in reach or halo 4 yet though.
What's BPR? I'm not in the know.

Deputy Moonman said:
ooh... okay. I was on the wrong page then. From what I've seen of the campaign, the level is much brighter and vibrant. I liked it. Was this what you were referring to and what are your thoughts on the change?
It's mainly the ring and other forerunner designs, removing some of the simplicity (which continued in H2, H3), adding components, making it more complex.
Don't like it. As soon as I noticed the rail on the outside of the ring I was displeased.

Ramirez said:
I think he's talking about Battle Proficiency Rating, I could be wrong though.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/stats?gamertag=TJ+Ram&x=0&y=0
Ah thanks. Mine is terrible, lol. BPR=60 Is that like getting a D in class?
ahhh yeah girl

It's another rating that doesn't take into account that I play solo 99% of the time, half my games involve quitters, I refuse to whore power weapons, won't quit out of losing games, don't pad my K/D ratio in BTB, TO, or Invasion, and that bloom has robbed me of many kills ;) FFFUUUUU!
Zeouterlimits said:
It's mainly the ring and other forerunner designs, removing some of the simplicity (which continued in H2, H3), adding components, making it more complex.
Don't like it. As soon as I noticed the rail on the outside of the ring I was displeased.
Gotcha. I'm smelling what you're stepping in now.

Booties

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Ah thanks. Mine is terrible, lol. BPR=60 Is that like getting a D in class?
ahhh yeah girl

It's another rating that doesn't take into account that I play solo 99% of the time, half my games involve quitters, I refuse to whore power weapons, won't quit out of losing games, don't pad my K/D ratio in BTB, TO, or Invasion, and that bloom has robbed me of many kills ;) FFFUUUUU!

Gotcha. I'm smelling what you're stepping in now.

Why would you not use power weapons? That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. It goes against every thing a FPS is.

Seriously. Half an hour later. That is so stupid.

Gui_PT

Thanks to who rendered the clip!
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23077901&player=Monolith%20Gui

No wonder that kid at the panel wanted to know if the assassination animations being cut off were going to be fixed. Watching these animations makes me feel like I'm a pro! :lol

Booties said:
Why would you not use power weapons? That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. It goes against every thing a FPS is.
In your opinion, maybe. I'll pick up the sniper rifle and rockets if I come across them. I'll also use the shotgun. I said I wouldn't whore them. I didn't say I wouldn't use them. I have my own thoughts on how power weapons should be implemented into a game, and just littering maps with them and having them spawn constantly is not my idea of a good FPS. And nerfing precision weapons while leaving power weapons the same is also not my idea of a good FPS.

I enjoy classic encounters more akin to Combat Evolved. Combat evolved had power weapons, but on a limited basis, and nothing like what is in Reach. And power weapons in CE were far less of a guarantee of kills unlike Reach. You had to be smarter with them because of the 3 shot pistol.

This is a recent game I rendered and during the video you can see multiple times where I walked over power weapons and didn't bother to pick them up. I won't always do that, but I really enjoy duking it out with regular weapons more. Who needs power weapons?
The other team had a quitter. But it's more just the intense gun encounters that I like from that rendered film.

Power weapons, the way they are in Reach, are not Halo to me. I said yesterday that my favorite map right now is Kingdom. It has rockets and sword; that's it. And it's an open arena style map that limits how useful they are. Best map in Reach imo. Brings the focus back to good old gun combat and not the common cesspool of "check out how good i am at sniping and camping with CQC weapons." That crap pisses me off. And I'm not saying good sniping is unimpressive, but it has such a huge advantage over everything in the game. You might as well not even try killing someone who has the sniper rifle unless you yourself have one, too, or rockets... Power weapons are up constantly in Reach. I don't like that. Maybe I'm crazy.

EDIT: Also, I think you might be misunderstanding me a bit. I'll do what it takes to help my team win. If we're down and I have the opportunity to pick up a power weapon, sure, I'll do it. But I prefer not to go for them on a regular basis or use them as a crutch which is what so many players do in Reach.

vhfive

TheOddOne said:
"Remember the days we use to play Halo: Reach? That was the shizznitz."
I will never say that but

Remember the days we use to play Halo 3? That was the shizznit

fo' real it was. Some of my fondest gaming memories come from Halo 3 customs

Striker

i r pnut said:
soldat7 said:
So how is Halo 2 these days?
Wonderful. The maps are fun to play, gameplay is faster than anything we'll see after it, no silly equipment getting in your way of killing somebody, and you only rank up if you win games and it's actually a challenge to get a high rank. To me it's perfect. Sure the lag can be a pain sometimes but 90% of the time I get lag free games.

Let me put it this way.......when I go back to Halo 2 now Gemini is more fun to play than most of the maps in Halo 3. Never thought this would be the case.

Anyway, send me FR if you want to play sometime.

Edit- Halo 2 BTB is the best of the series.
Fix'd

Deputy Moonman said:
I said yesterday that my favorite map right now is Kingdom. It has rockets and sword; that's it. And it's an open arena style map that limits how useful they are. Best map in Reach imo. Brings the focus back to good old gun combat and not the common cesspool of "check out how good i am at sniping and camping with CQC weapons."

Always nice to read a little praise every now and then. :) I'm glad you enjoy it.

And as always, you can thank Ghal for latching on to it and pushing it infront of Bungie.

If you enjoyed Kingdom, feel free to check out Majesty in my fileshare. Similar design ethos, but built for objective first and foremost. Nokyard did a great job of cleaning it up for the final CC submissions, but it didn't make it sadly.

Why no Halo 2/3 health regeneration? I mean, elites already can fully regenerate their health.
I hope they implement this if we ever get a second TU.
Also, what happened to the nerfed nades, the fuse times seemed longer... :(

Sikamikanico said:
Always nice to read a little praise every now and then. :) I'm glad you enjoy it.

And as always, you can thank Ghal for latching on to it and pushing it infront of Bungie.

If you enjoyed Kingdom, feel free to check out Majesty in my fileshare. Similar design ethos, but built for objective first and foremost. Nokyard did a great job of cleaning it up for the final CC submissions, but it didn't make it sadly.
No way! I didn't know you made that map. Yeah, I pretty much love everything about it, lol. I must be sure to thank Ghaleon, too. I'll check out Majesty whenever I get a chance. I'm going home to visit family today for Labor Day weekend, and I won't have my xbox with me. So it will probably be next week before I can look at it.

Also, I should probably apologize to Booties. I always come off sounding like a douche when I post. Getting dominated by power weapons is probably my biggest dislike with Reach. The balance comes from countering with your own power weapons, and I find that a highly annoying game flaw, obviously in my opinion :) It doesn't encourage standard encounters. It encourages everyone to always use power weapons if available (and Reach always provides :p). So it's a sore subject for me.

Zoolader

Gabotron ES said:
Why no Halo 2/3 health regeneration? I mean, elites already can fully regenerate their health.
I hope they implement this if we ever get a second TU.
Also, what happened to the nerfed nades, the fuse times seemed longer... :(

Added to the list of things I want in the second TU.

-Increased grenade bounce
-Delay grenade detonation
-Increase jump height
-Larger pistol clip size
-Remove fall damage
-Regenerating health
-Increase player movement speed
-Decrease player momentum (I think) for better strafing
-Nerf Banshee cannon
-Fix turret detachment sound

I'm sure I forgot a few things on that list. If another TU was coming I just hope it's relatively soon or I may not care anymore with Halo 4 on the horizon.

kylej

Banned
Booties said:

Seriously. Half an hour later. That is so stupid.

5:50 AM? Fly away, troll.

(come dong w/ me today Q T Pie)

Zoolader said:

-Increase jump height
-Larger pistol clip size
-Remove fall damage
-Regenerating health
-Nerf Banshee cannon

I'm sure I forgot a few things on that list. If another TU was coming I just hope it's relatively soon or I may not care anymore with Halo 4 is on the horizon.
Isn't this already available? Could have sworn this was in the Classic playlist, but in all honesty I haven't played that hopper since it debuted.

Zoolader said:

-Increase jump height
-Larger pistol clip size
-Remove fall damage
-Regenerating health
-Nerf Banshee cannon

I'm sure I forgot a few things on that list. If another TU was coming I just hope it's relatively soon or I may not care anymore with Halo 4 is on the horizon.

I'll add a few more:

Same shield, health and movement settings for elites and spartans.
Link vehicle health to player health.
Old radar settings.
Jetpack nerf to make it more like a jump pack.

Anymore HaloGAF?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I dunno, I kind of like Elites having regen and Spartans not. Invasion is just 'for fun' gametype anyway. And it makes Elite Slayer feel a little different, the odd time it comes up.

Tawpgun

Gabotron ES said:
I'll add a few more:

Same shield, health and movement settings for elites and spartans.
Link vehicle health to player health.
Old radar settings.
Jetpack nerf to make it more like a jump pack.

Anymore HaloGAF?
Make a Halo 2 hopper that plays on the H2 engine.

If only.

I can't wait to get my shit together. Sometimes after an absence from Haloz I become like 3 times as good.

Top Bottom