• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Hypertrooper said:
Halo 4 VGA trailer: Master Chief moves slowly out of the FowardUntoDawn wrack. He goes to a cliff, during his way he picks up a BR. The whole time, Cortana is narrating the prior events. At the cliff we can see a big Forerunner structure. And then: Halo 4. Trailer is over. Gameplay would be neat, but it isn't really necessary.
Make it in-engine and I'd be happy with that. Throw in some rampancy hints, Chief showing doubt at Cortana's state and I'd be pleased as punch.

It being the VGAs, I do wonder if they'll want a more action-y hit though.

The U3 Announce Trailer I was referring to.

I also like using the Lawrence quote in that trailer and applying both to the trailer we're anticipating and Halo 4 in general.

Zeouterlimits said:
Make it in-engine and I'd be happy with that. Throw in some rampancy hints, Chief showing doubt at Cortana's state and I'd be pleased as punch.

It being the VGAs, I do wonder if they'll want a more action-y hit though.

The U3 Announce Trailer I was referring to.

I also like using the Lawrence quote in that trailer and applying both to the trailer we're anticipating and Halo 4 in general.
Of course I want it in in-engine. Maybe I should extend the Cortana's part. Cortana should tell about past: She tells about the Covenant/Human war. In her dialog we can hear her personal opinion about everything, but in a very subitly way. At the end Cortana says humanity finally found peace, did we?" The viewer can see Cortana a bit and the rampancy symbol in her eyes.(That one like Legends) The last sentence signifies a lot more, than you think. It refers the actually situation in the Halo universe. My hypothesis is that we will see a conflict between humanity and elites in Glasslands. I'm not sure, but the Elites needed the San'Shyuum to get the Forerunner to work somehow or to have Cruisers like the Truth & Reconciliation, Long Night Of Solace. They are now gone, and Humanity has the power through the Forerunner technology. And there will always be war.

I'm good. So good. DId you get the last reference?

343 needs to release a Halo 4 trailer ASAP. The hype for Halo 3 started well before a year before release with an awesome trailer (not teaser).

Come on, guys! Give me something to work with!

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
343 needs to release a Halo 4 trailer ASAP. The hype for Halo 3 started well before a year before release with an awesome trailer (not teaser).

I am sure we will get something and when we get it our mind will explode.

On a side note Halo 4 needs a very very aggressive marketing push, even bigger than Halo 3.

wwm0nkey said:
On a side note Halo 4 needs a very very aggressive marketing push, even bigger than Halo 3.
I wouldn't say it "needs" a bigger marketing campaign that 3's. 3's was HUGE. I'd like it if was on the level of 3.

Dax01 said:

We have a lot of stuff about Halo 4 already. We just treat this information really shabby. Maybe because these products aren't labeled with the Halo 4 tag. I'm talking about Halo: Legends, Halo: Bloodline, Halo: Helljumper, Halo: Cryptum, Halo: Primordium, Halo: Glasslands and Halo: Evolution. We have already a lot of stuff to talk about. We aren't just doing it, because we treat them as a secondary source. :) (Just my opinion: The Return already teases a lot of the conflict between Humanity and Elites.)

Otherwise we got already a lot of Halo 4 media and details. We had a Halo 4 panel at PAX, they showed us a Halo 4 art trailer, that gave us a glimpse about the environment, we can expect in Halo 4. etc.

TheOddOne

Speaking of a secondary source, after getting trough the beginning (which is always a hurdle for me with all books) I'm really enjoying Cryptum.

I can't stop linking certain images in the Halo 4 art trailer with different parts of the story, my mind is in speculation mode all the time. Feels good man.

PooBone

Dax01 said:

That Halo 3 announcement happened at E3, then we had the CG vid of the bubbleshield, and then at E3 the next year they had a single player trailer, the beta, and then TV trailers and release.

I'm confused what all you expect to be shown? Maybe something in-game at the VGA's? Personally, with Anniversary coming out in 1.5 months, I doubt we'll see anything else Halo 4 related until 2012, maybe even E3 2012.

Dax01 said:
I don't want indirect hints, clues, and subtle references, I want a full-fledged trailer.

Give me Halo 3's trailer, but for Halo 4.
I don't get it? You already got your announcement trailer. And you got an Art trailer, what do you want? We have a lot more than we had for Halo 3 at this time...

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
I don't get it? You already got your announcement trailer. And you got an Art trailer, what do you want? We have a lot more than we had for Halo 3 at this time...
My thoughts exactly. How was Halo 3's announcement anything more than a teaser?
Halo 3: Masterchief walks up to a hole in the desert, Cortana's talking to him.
Halo 4: Masterchief wakes up, Cortana's talking to him. His ship flies into a hole in a big planet.

Striker

HiredN00bs said:
I think Reach would be fine if it:

1) Had better population and stricter skill matching in its playlists (perhaps through trimming the existing lineup)

2) More prominently displayed Arena rankings in the UI
1. Populations are fine the playlists aren't so damn spread out and near duplicated.

2. It's nice to want things.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I don't want indirect hints, clues, and subtle references, I want a full-fledged trailer.

Give me Halo 3's trailer, but for Halo 4.
We didn't get a full fledged Halo 3 trailer until the E3 before release. As others have said, we have more on Halo 4 that we did on Halo 3 at the same time in its release cycle.

GhaleonEB said:
We didn't get a full fledged Halo 3 trailer until the E3 before release. As others have said, we have more on Halo 4 that we did on Halo 3 at the same time in its release cycle.

We need an ARG. Hands down a good way to get hype going.

A27_StarWolf said:
When did IRIS start? It started June 2007. The hype of Halo 3 started already in 2006. You can't deliver the same hype for Halo 4, because it isn't the end of trilogy. Believe me, if Halo 4 and 5 are a sucess, you will see a hype like Halo 3 again.

Striker said:
1. Populations are fine the playlists aren't so damn spread out and near duplicated.

2. It's nice to want things.
I want a bunch of weapons nerfed to the ground or removed entirely: Needler nerfed; Assault Rifle nerfed; Plasma pistol removed; Energy Sword and Hammer need to have a limited number of uses again; and the sniper rifle clip reduced.

Reach needs to cool it with putting too many power weapons per map. Should be one CQC weapon (hammer/sword/shotgun) and one other power weapon (sniper rifle/rockets/grenade launcher/concussion rifle) per map. An exception to this rule might be BTB.

Having smaller maps drowning in power weapons, plus the above OP weapons that require a brain the size of a peanut to use, cheapens everything about Reach. It's no wonder the game is so frustrating for anyone that is even halfway competent. Reach is so derp derp in this regard that it hurts my head, and it has less to do with bloom than what this post entails.

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
ARG's are amazing to follow and fun as hell, but it only builds hype with a small subset of people who are already probably going to buy the game anyway.

They need the huge Halo 3 Believe Campaign, Live Action, Promo Events, Mt. Dew, Slurpees, massive awesome campaign to win back some of the Halo fans we've been losing since 2007.

New Studio needs the hype.

This is just the "cheap" version, imagine now the Skywalker Ranch version. *drool*

A27 Tawpgun said:
ARG's are amazing to follow and fun as hell, but it only builds hype with a small subset of people who are already probably going to buy the game anyway.

They need the huge Halo 3 Believe Campaign, Live Action, Promo Events, Mt. Dew, Slurpees, massive awesome campaign to win back some of the Halo fans we've been losing since 2007.

New Studio needs the hype.
Kind of funny, that there was no Mt. Dew, Slurpees and Promo events in Europe. I'm not sure, if the last was right, but I can't remember any promo events here in Germany. :p But we all were pretty hyped for Halo 3.

Zeouterlimits said:
Eh, kind of.

I think Dax's point stems more from the fact when we got the H3 06 Announce we knew
-Bungie Halo game, certain expectations/safe bets
-We're back on Earth
-That was the Ark, where you can fire all the Halo Rings
-Cortana is close to rampancy/shacking up with the bad-boy ex-boyfriend Gravemind
-We're going to be fighting the Covenant & the Flood
-Have different relationship with Elites, unclear as the details

With Halo 4 Reveal
-343 game, completely new studio, but somehow still a Halo game and not
-We're lost somewhere in the Milky Way
-We're approaching a Forerunner Object
-Cortana's rampacy is not part of the trailer

But yes, the point that we do actually know a fair bit is true too.

Bonus Point: Glasslands and Ghosts of Onyx both are coming/came out in the October before their next mainline title.
You can't really compare the Halo 3 Announcement trailer with the Halo 4 announcement trailer. The biggest problem: Halo 3 finished the "Human-Covenant-War Trilogy". Halo 4 starts the "Reclaimer Trilogy". Otherwise you forgot the Weapon tease in the Halo 4 teaser, old fella. :)

Btw. We shouldn't expect any Halo 4 information till Halo Anniversary is out.

GhaleonEB said:
Eh, kind of.

I think Dax's point stems more from the fact when we got the H3 06 Announce we knew
-We're back on Earth
-Cortana is close to rampancy/shacking up with the bad-boy ex-boyfriend Gravemind

With Halo 4 Reveal

Bonus Point: Glasslands and Ghosts of Onyx both are coming/came out in the October before their next mainline title.

ElRenoRaven

It really is time to get some sort of trailer. One with some in game graphics. Even if they are early.

Hell some ads starting for Halo Anniversary would be nice too. COME ON 343!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louis Wu said:
Heh - at 3:33, he kills KUROYUME... that's the only GAF name I noticed. (At least he was on the other team.)

What a douche - I really don't get people like this.

You aren't alone. I've dealt with assholes like that. It's so damn annoying. The sad thing is that it's some dumbass kid. I wish more parents gave a damn how their kids acted online. Hell I wish more adults gave a damn how they acted online.

GhaleonEB said:
First off, I'd consider the Halo 3 announcement trailer to be a full-fledged trailer, or at least a teaser on steroids.

Secondly, I disagree that we've gotten more on Halo 4 in this point in its lifetime than Halo 3 at the same time. If you're talking about quantity, sure, we've gotten more on Halo 4 than Halo 3, but when it comes to overall substance and content delivered? I don't think so.

Let's take a look at the two trailers, starting with the first. It's a teaser. We got some hints and teases when it comes to the weapon the MC uses and his thruster thing. But that was it. Nothing new was revealed about the plot and we weren't given any idea of what the final game will look like.

The concept art trailer is definitely better on providing the fans the direction 343 wants to take the story, but we weren't given anything concrete, at least nothing as much or more concrete than anything revealed in the Halo 3 announcer, for us to really latch on to, aside from the not-very-helpful image of whatever at the end. We have an idea of what 343 is aiming for in the look of the game, but because it was only concept art – while cool – ultimately doesn't do a better job than the Halo 3 announcement trailer of giving us a good idea.

Now, the Halo 3 announcement trailer provided us with all of that and more. It gave us a tease in the redesigned assault rifle. It gave us real story information to latch on to in the form of Cortana's cryptic, Gravemind-induced messages, and the mysterious, huge Forerunner structure in the middle of Africa. (With subtle details like the movement of the Covenant ships: at one point the Covenant ships were moving toward it, then when it comes to life, they move away). And, probably most importantly, we were given a good, though ultimately deceptive, idea of what Bungie was aiming for with the look of the game. When you compare the trailer to the final game, it's mostly the same aside from the lack of AA, MC's armor texture, and the fins of the Forerunner portal are a bit murky.

Hypertrooper said:
We have a lot of stuff about Halo 4 already. We just treat this information really shabby. Maybe because these products aren't labeled with the Halo 4 tag. I'm talking about Halo: Legends, Halo: Bloodline, Halo: Helljumper, Halo: Cryptum, Halo: Primordium, Halo: Glasslands and Halo: Evolution. We have already a lot of stuff to talk about. We aren't just doing it, because we treat them as a secondary source. :) (Just my opinion: The Return already teases a lot of the conflict between Humanity and Elites.)

Otherwise we got already a lot of Halo 4 media and details. We had a Halo 4 panel at PAX, they showed us a Halo 4 art trailer, that gave us a glimpse about the environment, we can expect in Halo 4. etc.
Perhaps because Bungie trained us to treat those secondary sources as non-canon? I mean, Fall of Reach got kicked to the curb like a ginger stepchild. I will say that you're right - there is clearly a much greater focus on keeping the fiction tight-knit now that everything is being handled in-house at 343i, so there is probably plenty to speculate on from those sources.

CyReN

Not sure if this would count for the right area but does anybody want the Halo Reach statue by chance? Nothing wrong with it just not enough space and don't really want it. PM me.

Lead Based Paint said:
First couple of deaths you were blowing it lol :p

Good match

Really I thought the first two battles I got fucked over hard. One was a shitty bunk nade that stuck in the ground instead of bouncing which would have got me the kill if it wasnt for shitty nades sticking in floors, and the second one I paced my shots well but his spam beat me ...that last shot shoulda been a headshot.

Dax01 said:
First off, I'd consider the Halo 3 announcement trailer to be a full-fledged trailer, or at least a teaser on steroids.

Secondly, I disagree that we've gotten more on Halo 4 in this point in its lifetime than Halo 3 at the same time. If you're talking about quantity, sure, we've gotten more on Halo 4 than Halo 3, but when it comes to overall substance and content delivered? I don't think so.

Let's take a look at the two trailers, starting with the first. It's a teaser. We got some hints and teases when it comes to the weapon the MC uses and his thruster thing. But that was it. Nothing new was revealed about the plot and we weren't given any idea of what the final game will look like.

The concept art trailer is definitely better on providing the fans the direction 343 wants to take the story, but we weren't given anything concrete, at least nothing as much or more concrete than anything revealed in the Halo 3 announcer, for us to really latch on to, aside from the not-very-helpful image of whatever at the end. We have an idea of what 343 is aiming for in the look of the game, but because it was only concept art – while cool – ultimately doesn't do a better job than the Halo 3 announcement trailer of giving us a good idea.

Now, the Halo 3 announcement trailer provided us with all of that and more. It gave us a tease in the redesigned assault rifle. It gave us real story information to latch on to in the form of Cortana's cryptic, Gravemind-induced messages, and the mysterious, huge Forerunner structure in the middle of Africa. (With subtle details like the movement of the Covenant ships: at one point the Covenant ships were moving toward it, then when it comes to life, they move away). And, probably most importantly, we were given a good, though ultimately deceptive, idea of what Bungie was aiming for with the look of the game. When you compare the trailer to the final game, it's mostly the same aside from the lack of AA, MC's armor texture, and the fins of the Forerunner portal are a bit murky.
Dax, I know your point. But you forget something big:
-We already knew before Halo 3, that there is something on Earth.
-We knew that something happens between Cortana and the Gravemind.
All these information we know already at the end of Halo 2. The only new things were the new Assault Rifle and how the Forerunner structure looks like.

You expected something big for Halo 4 announcemant trailer. The problem is the trailer should be understandable for everyone and not only for the Halo fans. The biggest group of players didn’t know that the Chief is heading to a new planet; they just knew that he is sleeping in a cryo-chamber. They didn’t know that Cortana’s condition is near rampancy. You regard that everyone knows the information tidbits, we got through Halo: Evolutions, Halo 3’s legendary ending and Halo: Legends. But that is not the case. The Halo 4 delivers much more important stuff for me: It delivers gameplay-teases. The thruster? What will I do with them? The new pistol? Wait it looks like I can customize weapon! Etc. I know the pistol information is wrong, but there were a lot of discussion about this.

Edit.: We didn't know that Cortana was near rampancy at the end of Halo 2. We only knew that she was fighting with the Gravemind.

Edit.: Compare the Halo: Reach teaser with the Halo 4 teaser.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
PsychoRaven said:
You aren't alone. I've dealt with assholes like that. It's so damn annoying. The sad thing is that it's some dumbass kid. I wish more parents gave a damn how their kids acted online. Hell I wish more adults gave a damn how they acted online.

You won't be dealing with that particular asshole any longer.

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
You won't be dealing with that particular asshole any longer.

Oh we will. Face it David it's a punk ass kid. He'll simply get mommy and daddy to buy him a new gamertag and/or a new console to go with it and be right back doing what he does.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
PsychoRaven said:
Oh we will. Face it David it's a punk ass kid. He'll simply get mommy and daddy to buy him a new gamertag and/or a new console to go with it and be right back doing what he does.

The accumulated filth of all their bad deeds will foam up about their waists and all the AFK whores will look up and shout "Unban us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

lybertyboy said:
The accumulated filth of all their bad deeds will foam up about their waists and all the AFK whores will look up and shout "Unban us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.
So where is the banning montage?

Hypertrooper said:
I hope we get an arg. Today's gaming advertisement became very boring. And 343i is doing an arg for Halo: Glasslands. (I'm counting the data drops as some sort of ARG), so we hopefully get one for Halo 4.

Halo 4 VGA trailer: Master Chief moves slowly out of the FowardUntoDawn wrack. He goes to a cliff, during his way he picks up a Magnum. The whole time, Cortana is narrating the prior events. At the cliff we can see a big Forerunner structure. And then: Halo 4. Trailer is over. Gameplay would be neat, but it isn't really necessary.

Fixed for perfection.

Karl2177 said:
XBL is down in general for me.

I can get on XBL (took forever to sign in), but MM is down for me.

My friend was on Reach and it kept telling him he needed a harddrive to watch films. He has one and his DLC maps load up.

Now he can't even get on XBL.

Strange stuff.

GhaleonEB

Zeouterlimits said:
Eh, kind of.

-We're back on Earth

With Halo 4 Reveal

I think know now about as much as we knew then.

--The initial setting (Earth / big Forerunner thingy)
--Moment of crisis and mystery (Ark opening / big Forerunner thingy opening)
--Chief and Cortana's relationship (separated from the Chief sending weird messages / back snugly in his armor)
--Where the game falls in the story arc (end of a trilogy / start of a trilogy)

It's true we had more context for the Halo 3 trailer due to the previous two games, but in terms of content, we've seen more hints about Halo 4 than Halo 3 at this point, thanks to the art trailer from HaloFest. And realisticly, I'm not expecting much more until near the end of the year, post CEA-release.

The questions around the studio won't be answered until we play the game.

Top Bottom