• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

heckfu

Banned
Dax01 said:
I think you're going to have to clarify a bit, because Reach has the best Easter eggs out of all the Halos. Pelican on New Alexandria, Banshees on The Package, Tribute room, and I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting.

tribute room has to be my favorite easter egg of the whole series. brilliant.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Reach Matchmaking is becoming too difficult to memorize. Bloom levels, player speed, gravity. I'm having a rough time.

Devolution said:
When something gets a bit too cheap or exploitive and goes unfixed.
Or when Anniversary Classic is forgotten and the population gets too low to sustain competitive player matching because it's at the bottom of the friggin Playlist list. Seriously 343, put that shit at the top.

Also, for Frankie and co, are the settings for the Anniversary Slayer gametype set in stone? The jump height feels too low and it's not floaty enough. Very noticeable when hopping into MP after a long campaign session.

Niblet said:
Is the CEA pistol exclusive to the CEA playlists? If so, will it ever be in reach proper?
Yes; doubtful.

Barrow Roll said:
Or when Anniversary Classic is forgotten and the population gets too low to sustain competitive player matching because it's at the bottom of the friggin Playlist list. Seriously 343, put that shit at the top.

Also, for Frankie and co, are the settings for the Anniversary Slayer gametype set in stone? The jump height feels too low and it's not floaty enough. Very noticeable when hopping into MP after a long campaign session.

Yes; doubtful.
The jump is default reach which is higher than CE's which was also not floaty.

Lyphen said:
Reach Matchmaking is becoming too difficult to memorize. Bloom levels, player speed, gravity. I'm having a rough time.
Yup. And you're someone who readily visits an internet forum to get all of the juicy details. It's all hard to remember. But, granted, I've only played two or three games.

Ramirez

Lyphen said:

Play the classic playlist, nothing else matters at this point.

feel

Lyphen said:
Yep. Horribly unfocused online experience and number 8 on xbox live is deserved. Halo 4 better bring the massive change in the online department. Stop trying to have a game be 10 different games, be like the other popular online games and offer a single strong experience everyone can enjoy.

edit-

I'm already starting to get a bit bored of playing the same 4 maps on Classic. The 3sk bloompistol gameplay is not bad but but far from great, there's a lot of randomness, awkwardness and spam at play, I much prefer the ZB 5sk DMR.

Steelyuhas said:
The jump is default reach which is higher than CE's which was also not floaty.
Okay, the higher and floatier jump I notice when playing campaign isn't actually there and I'm just mental. :/

C'mon guy, just go play the campaign then switch to the Anniversary gametype. The lower jump and falling like a rock is instantly noticeable. CE may not be as floaty as Halo 2 but it's definitely floatier than the present Anniversary settings.

Jin34

Friend's 360 RRODed and seeing some of those 360 deals for BF made me ask if the 360s with Flash storage have problems playing Halo online still.

Jin34 said:
Friend's 360 RRODed and seeing some of those 360 deals for BF made me ask if the 360s with Flash storage have problems playing Halo online still.

They patched Reach to allow for co-op without a harddrive.

Just have your friend pop his old harddrive in his new xbox, problem solved.

Jin34

The Real Napsta said:
They patched Reach to allow for co-op without a harddrive.

Just have your friend pop his old harddrive in his new xbox, problem solved.

Don't you have to jump through hoops to plug the og 360 hdd into the slims?

Tawpgun

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm sorta disappointed in how bright Two Betrayals is now...
Add Keyes to that list too. You needed the flashlight in Keyes... not anymore.

Pretty as hell, but not dark anymore...

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:

Yea you will find that the flashlight isn't needed at all minus the few times you need it in both of the POA sections of the game.

Lol that last game on Damnation Cocop pushed me off to my death and then Nutter betrayed me with rocks for a kill. Game over and I have 2 deaths :)

Nutter

People are getting destroyed in the Anniversary Playlists.. I just hope it keeps its population beyond the holidays. its about time we got some pure Halo gameplay.

Sai-kun

Banned
My friend and I were trying to figure out the Dive Bomber achievement. It took a couple minutes, but we eventually got it (because my friend apparently can't jetpack AND melee someone :lol).

Anyways, the whole time we were talking about it, this guy is just bitching and complaining at us, telling us to play for real and stop 'jerking each other off', and generally making an ass of himself and saying super nasty things.

So, after we got the achievement, we *did* play for real! Here's the record of the game. The complaining jerk is "BIPOLAR RHINO", my friend is goldarsun, and I'm obviously Sai kun.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=852822179&player=Sai kun

He didn't have much to say after the game was over.

I'm not bragging about beating him. He's just a Captain after all. I just thought it was hilarious how both of us were just sitting in a corner trying to get an achievement, and he couldn't even break into the top 4 by the end of the game, even with all his shit talk.

Edit: This is my hilarious fail of the evening:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=24929414&player=chaos nul

TheOddOne

Homeboyd said:
343i now in trollish mode.
FUN FUN FUN
trollish mode.

In other news: A Decade of Halo: I was distracted by the glory that is Frankie Interview
Did you ever consider a different protagonist than Master Chief?

As a central protagonist? Sure. We'd consider it, but the next story is definitely focused on the Chief. That said, games like ODST, Halo Wars, Reach and even Halo 3, with playable Elites, actually mean that the majority of Halo games, in an odd way, have included non-Chiefy protagonists.

On Xbox 360 we have not only seen the conclusion of Master Chief's (first) trilogy, but also games that have explored new directions, such as Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST. Is this something 343 Industries will continue along with Halo 4?

We'll certainly consider new projects, although the bulk of our focus is going to be on the core FPS - there are certainly other, different opportunities to explore the Halo universe through a gaming lens. Nothing on the horizon right now, however.

Is there a possibility that Halo 2 might get the same treatment?

There's a possibility, sure, but we haven't even figured out what that content could be and how we could package it up in a way that made sense. We'll certainly give it a lot of thought, however, but it would have to be a fairly different offering than Anniversary.

The Real Napsta said:
If you consider removing the drive from the shell and sliding it into the slim a "hoop", yes.
If you're going to do this, spend the couple of dollars on a proper slim HDD shell on eBay. Your motherboard will thank you later.

FyreWulff

If they're going to remake Halo 2, I want an actual remake in a new engine + a restoration of the Forerunner Ship level. Rereleasing as-is with the same ending and all the stuff that resulted in the game being restarted halfway through the development would be unacceptable today.

Kuroyume

Banned
All they have to do is completely ignore remaking the single player and just remake the multiplayer. That's what people remember about that game. Give it to us so we don't have to keep asking for remakes in H4. If they do it then I want to see it it in a new engine. Tired of the modified H3/Reach engine. Keep the graphics clean, colorful, and bright. Don't mess with the gameplay.

FyreWulff said:
If they're going to remake Halo 2, I want an actual remake in a new engine + a restoration of the Forerunner Ship level. Rereleasing as-is with the same ending and all the stuff that resulted in the game being restarted halfway through the development would be unacceptable today.
I think this is the only way, if even. If they just did what they've done with Anniversary I would think they'd get deservedly destroyed.

I don't think they should do a HD version. For many reasons.
Personally I feel these yearly releases have gotten out of hand.

Actually if it pushed Halo 5 to 2015 it wouldn't be so bad.

A27 Tawpgun said:

You don't need the flashlight in Keyes anymore? Thank goodness. Fighting the Flood in the coolant section with a flashlight that doesn't have infinite battery was extremely annoying.

TheOddOne

Zeouterlimits said:
Personally I feel these yearly releases have gotten out of hand.
I share the this sentiment too, but I would not be opposed to Halo's with other protagonists. Those games should have their own elements though.

Lyphen said:

That's what I'm starting to feel, even as someone who plays Reach more regularly than the average player, but less than most of halogaf.

my initial foray into the anniversary playlist is fun, but I shouldn't have to dig around to find all the technical differences in that playlist vs the rest of the reach playlist.

Homeboyd

So on B.net's Reach achievement list, License to Kill is worth 75 GS and on xboxlive.com it's worth 15 GS. I got it in a game yesterday and it showed up on xboxlive.com but not on B.net.

Then, I saw I unlocked "From Hell's Heart" on B.net's achievement page for Reach (don't remember getting it in-game) and see it's not unlocked on xboxlive.com. It's worth 25 GS on xboxlive.com and only worth 15 GS on B.net.

I also keep getting an error message when trying to load the achievements page for Reach on Waypoint's website and it appears it will only cover Reach's achievements (since the stat page only covers Reach's stats). Where will we view Anniversary achievements on Waypoint and which lists are accurate between xboxlive.com vs. B.net?

Barrow Roll said:
Okay, the higher and floatier jump I notice when playing campaign isn't actually there and I'm just mental. :/

C'mon guy, just go play the campaign then switch to the Anniversary gametype. The lower jump and falling like a rock is instantly noticeable. CE may not be as floaty as Halo 2 but it's definitely floatier than the present Anniversary settings.

Yeah that weird jumping really got to me. In Halo CE multiplayer I can bounce all over damnation. In CEA making some of the jumps is a lot harder. Same with a certain jump on Hang em High - although im not sure if thats just down to the scale of the map being different.

Seriously though, the jump behaviour is weird.

FyreWulff said:
I've finally posted a thread on the topic of consolidating Halo 3's playlists over at Waypoint. If you have any of your own ideas or support, here's the thread.
You sure they didn't lose the keys like with halo 2?

I'm on mobile so i can't click the link, did you include the MLG playlist in your proposal?

feel

Blinding said:
I haven't checked the settings but I think it's not how high you jump, rather how quickly you come back down (aka gravity settings.)
iirc they just left default reach jump settings on it.. lol

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
You sure they didn't lose the keys like with halo 2?

I'm on mobile so i can't click the link, did you include the MLG playlist in your proposal?

The MLG playlist is not in there, mostly because MLG has moved on to Reach. My initial proposal is 7 total playlists, with 3 in Ranked and 3 in Social with as little overlap as possible. The MLG community continues to brag about continuing to just play MLG via customs instead of using the list, so i think their Halo 3 segment would be just fine.

If there was a possibility of Double EXP weekends I'd have it as a DEXP playlist, though.

I think the Halo 2 keys thing was a nice way of saying "not in my job description, and nobody wants to spin up the OXbox cert process to test playlist updates". They did update the matchmaking right before it went down with the new MOTD and Did You Know? facts, so I don't think they were completely locked out from touching Halo 2 as a company.

One would think and hope that they at least still have the ability to change Halo 3's setup, especially if they have a person with direct knowledge of how it worked (Shishka) working for them now. It's just so annoying to wait so damn long for games even if you want to play Halo 3, and it's really annoying to be split across teams in multiteam (as bobs99 and I can attest to)

I do solicit other people's feedback/playlist configurations at the end of the post, so if anyone else has suggestions..

Kuroyume

Banned
If I were to put the maps on a flash drive would the maps attached to the 360 or flash drive? Anyone know? Seems like a silly question but I want to be sure.

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:
If I were to put the maps on a flash drive would it be the download be attached to the 360 or flash drive? Anyone know? Seems like a silly question but I want to be sure.

They will be attached to the 360 you downloaded them on and your gamertag. As long as you can sign into Live, you can use the maps on the flash drive on any other 360. They will not work on an offline 360.

Gui_PT

So I was given a couple of codes.

Female MC avatar and 2 day gold trial. It's not much but I thought you guys would put these to good use.

PM letting me know what you want.

Top Bottom