• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th birthday Fry's Electronics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
An interview with with Fry's Electronics co-founder Kathy Kolder:

A chat with Fry's Electronics co-founder Kathy Kolder
By Patrick May
Mercury News
Posted: 05/13/2010 01:04:55 PM PDT
Updated: 05/14/2010 07:35:57 AM PDT

Opening the first Fry's Electronics store 25 years ago this month in Sunnyvale was a no-brainer.

"This location was the center of a huge hub of computer engineers,'' said Kathy Kolder, the 52-year-old co-founder and executive vice president of the chain that went on to launch a million computing dreams. "There were literally thousands of engineers in every direction.''

Opening up the first Fry's Electronics store with only 20,000 square feet, however, was less of a no-brainer. As a steady conga line of geeks pushed shopping carts full of memory chips and cooling fans out the door, the operation literally burst at the seams — moving first to a 50,000-square-foot building, then to the 144,000-square-foot warehouse that now sits off Lawrence Expressway, perhaps the most supersized retail totem for Silicon Valley ever created.

"Back then, people couldn't just walk up and buy computer components to build a motherboard,'' Kolder said this week during a rare interview and tour of the chain's flagship store. "So we thought we'd be the retail zone for that, offering all the parts and pieces that any computer engineer would ever need.''

"We,'' of course, would be Kolder and Bay Area supermarket impresario Charles Fry's three sons — John, Randy and David. And from the moment they opened their Sunnyvale store on May 17, 1985, the geek fest that has flourished across outposts from San Jose to Atlanta to their online site has never stopped.
It was gee-whiz computing meets streamlined retail, trying to sell printers and modems just as the elder Fry had sold cereal and bread. Today, Fry's employs nearly 15,000 people in 34 stores in nine states, offering not just computer components anymore, but an ocean of products from cameras to chewing gum to colored TVs.

Kolder was selling personal computers when she first met the Fry family, and soon she and the brothers were brainstorming their way into a new retail model that would cater to the often nerdy impulses of the circuitry crowd. One of their first product rollouts was a parallel-printer cable that was retailing elsewhere for up to $200. Kolder said they priced it at $19.95 and the roof nearly blew off the store — "We sold all 500 that day.''

This week, as the privately owned and closely held company prepares to celebrate a quarter-century anniversary, Kolder shared her thoughts with the Mercury News. The interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Q How does 25 feel?

A It feels wonderful. I never envisioned we'd be here 25 years later. We thought we'd be around 10 years and then maybe do another startup. But we've found that retail is constantly renewing itself, especially with electronics. It's been a constant challenge to stay ahead of the curve and whatever we were being thrown.

Q What inspired the Fry's concept?

A After groceries, the Fry brothers were looking for the next thing to do. I felt my own life needed a change, too. We kept talking about how nice it would be for engineers to have a cart and be able to go down the aisle and throw things into it. Before, to buy components to build your own computer you had to go to hobbyist stores for electronics. Those places weren't meant to be retail, so we thought we had come up with a wonderful idea.

Q Fry's has been criticized in the past for lousy customer service. How have you tried to improve it?

A One reason we got bad press was because there wasn't a customer-service desk in the stores. Or people would call in for help but couldn't find anyone to talk to. So about 15 years ago, we put a customer-relations department in each store and set up phones for customers' questions. And with that we were able to give customers a voice.

Q From the beginning, Fry's has been tight-lipped and almost secretive about its business. Why won't you talk to us more?

A This has been such a competitive environment since the day we opened, and most of the time we've been the small fry in the game. So to keep our competitive advantage, we've had to be more secretive about our business strategy. I think it's worked, too, because we're still here 25 years, bigger than ever.''

Q Who are your customers these days?

A Over the past 25 years, computers and electronics have become more mainstream, part of the norm and much more user-friendly. So the high-tech user is very different today from the engineer of 25 years ago. Our customers have become less technical, less focused on math and science. The liberal-arts crowd has arrived!

Q How has the recession affected you?

A We've been very lucky. Our traffic has stayed very close to flat through the recession. And instead of people coming in, say, to buy a 50-inch TV and then buying a 60-inch instead, they'll now come in and maybe buy a 40-inch. Consumers are right-sizing, buying to fit their restrained budgets. But we've seen light at the end of the tunnel and over the past few months we've seen an increase in sales.

Q Talk a little about Fry's future. Do you plan to expand even more?

A We have 34 brick-and-mortar stores and an online store. The six Incredible Universe stores we bought took us out of the state, then we started adding stores in those markets because that cut the cost of advertising for us. In the Dallas area, for example, we now have four stores. We've got a lot of irons in the fire and we want to expand. We're just hoping that the real estate is priced so that we can profitably operate any new stores.
Their customer service still isn't all that great to this day, but for the savvy Fry's veteran who knows how to shop for what they need there and what potential pitfalls to avoid, there's no substitute in the brick and mortar space.

Hah, I remember when the Fry's here in DFW used to be Incredible Universe. I've built a bunch of PC's with parts bought from Fry's over the past 10 years or so. You've come a long way baby.

random note: I just bought a printer a couple days ago from Amazon, thinking I got a great deal (about $30 below MSRP), and now it's like $40 cheaper than Amazon at Fry's today.

One of the reasons why I love living in Dallas.

4 Fry's stores in the area :D

Plano, Garland, Irving and Arlington :D

Each has its own theme too well.. most of them maybe not the Irving one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Never go to Fry's in a dress shirt unless you like answering questions about which DVD player is the best, where they keep the hard drives, and whether the cheap speakers are just as good as the expensive ones.

Wallach

One reason I'm excited about moving back out to the west coast, man. Fry's is amazing. When I was younger and still learning about building PCs and programming and whatnot, this place was like... my Disneyland. I still remember the day I went in there with like 1,200 bucks to spend building a complete rig. Like I died and went to geek heaven.

mollipen

One of the main things I remembered about my original adventures of living in SoCal was my one trip to Fry's. I had never seen an electronics store that big, and it just blew me away.

Now, I'm back in Cali, and live like a block from one. The novelty has worn off a bit, but it's still a great place to find some amazing deals. I just wish their DS clearance deals were amazing like they were last year, compared to shitty like they are now.

Angry Grimace said:
Never go to Fry's in a dress shirt unless you like answering questions about which DVD player is the best, where they keep the hard drives, and whether the cheap speakers are just as good as the expensive ones.
:lol Specially if you are asian.

good prices, terrible customer service. My last experience they refused to pricematch something from best buy. Never again will I go to fry's

Zoe

TurtleSnatcher said:

I remember walking into the Irving one (I believe) and thinking it was hilarious walking into a store with mooing longhorns above the door and a staff of (Asian) Indians walking around in jeans and cowboy hats :lol

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
soul creator said:
Hah, I remember when the Fry's here in DFW used to be Incredible Universe. I've built a bunch of PC's with parts bought from Fry's over the past 10 years or so. You've come a long way baby.

the one in oregon was too it was the first time i actually played a neo geo gold system. good times.

Hugbot

TurtleSnatcher said:

Plano and Irving are both themed "Development of the Area" which means they have shitty pictures on the wall. Arlington Fry's though is awesome (Cowboy). Almost as good as Houston's SPACE Fry's.

I remember walking into the Plano one (I believe) and thinking it was hilarious walking into a store with mooing longhorns above the door and a staff of (Asian) Indians walking around in jeans and cowboy hats
That was Arlington, yo. The Plano one has no actual theme (but is a much cleaner store, so it works out).

(I might be confusing Arlington and Irving locations)

Zoe

Hugbot said:
That was Arlington, yo. The Plano one has no actual theme (but is a much cleaner store, so it works out).

No, it's definitely not Arlington. I grew up in Garland, and I remember going to that one on the way to Town East Mall.

I think that makes it Irving?

Angry Grimace said:
I sometimes answer people's questions voluntarily since the workers tend to be clueless.

This is what happens . . . you ask a semi-difficult question, they get a puzzled look on their face, and then they say "let me go ask someone else".

I love Fry's, always make it a point to stop at the one off Brokaw Rd in Milpitas when heading back up home from Kinokuniya. My friends refer to that one as the Disneyland Fry's because of the Mayan theme.

Love going there just to browse the aisles sometimes (particularly the video games section as well as the dvd/blu-ray sections) but I like the fact that they carry so much computer equipment. Nothing like finding a 30' cat5 cable for like $10...

Hugbot

Zoe said:
No, it's definitely not Arlington. I grew up in Garland, and I remember going to that one on the way to Town East Mall.

That it does! I knew it was one of the ones along 635, since I live across the street from the Plano one and have been to the others only a handful of times.

wenis said:
Fry's "25 years of repackaging used items and selling them as new".

That's Gamestop.

Fry's doesn't do this. They clearly label return items and discount them a bit so that you know they aren't new.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Marty Chinn said:
That's Gamestop.

Fry's doesn't do this. They clearly label return items and discount them a bit so that you know they aren't new.
It's primarily annoying when you're looking for something new and the shelf's full of the returned stuff. But yeah, they're easy to spot.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Marty Chinn said:
That's Gamestop.

:lol I've shopped at 3 different Fry's in my lifetime and so far I've accumulated this much of used items packaged as new.

Keyboards (3)
Monitors (2, of the same kind and brand)
Sly Cooper 2
Various Cables
Logitech Universal Remote
Sennheiser headphones

I've given them a lot of business over the years and have gone up against a lot of managers (and got one of them to actually admit they repackaged the monitor themselves; Concord,CA Fry's Electronics FYI) so yeah I know what they have done.

Fry's has killer prices, but the aesthetic inside the store (at least the Renton, WA and Willsonville, OR locations) has always creeped me out. Lots of stuff sitting on wooden-pallets with old dot-matrix printer labels. I get the feeling it's been run by the Russian mafia or something...

Zoe said:
I remember walking into the Irving one (I believe) and thinking it was hilarious walking into a store with mooing longhorns above the door and a staff of (Asian) Indians walking around in jeans and cowboy hats :lol
Thats Garland (Maybe Arlington too...?) But the Garland one started the whole cows mooing above the door (Former Incredible Universe)

Hugbot said:
Plano and Irving are both themed "Development of the Area" which means they have shitty pictures on the wall. Arlington Fry's though is awesome (Cowboy). Almost as good as Houston's SPACE Fry's.

(I might be confusing Arlington and Irving locations)

The Plano one I know is next to the railroad tracks and has the theme of how the railroad brought development to North Texas and all that crap.

Hugbot

TurtleSnatcher said:
The Plano one I know is next to the railroad tracks and has the theme of how the railroad brought development to North Texas and all that crap.

Sorry, by "no actual theme" I meant that their theme was just a handful of pictures on the wall, rather than the craziness of Cowboy/Space Fry's. Either way Fry's is a pretty great store and I've given them a ton of business over the years, and am headed there after work for some cheap hotdogs.

Marty Chinn said:
That's Gamestop.

:lol It is Fry's. They're notorious for that shit.

Wallach

mr stroke said:
BAD IDEA

every time I go in there I end up walking out with something. Its a nerd Costco, you walk in and always leave with something :(

It's true. I would have to go in there without my wallet and no money in my pockets. Otherwise I'd just wander around and be like "LOOK AT THAT SALE OMG" for stuff I probably don't really need...

...god I want to do that again. Fuck you, Colorado. Fuck you.

AirBrian

Zoe said:

I thought it was the Irving one too. I know it's not the Plano store...I visit that store often!

Mudkips

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Fry's return policy is peerless. It's the main reason why I use them for all my PC builds.

The main reason why I DON'T use them at all anymore.
They have a nasty habit of selling returned shit as new without telling you.

AirBrian said:
I thought it was the Irving one too. I know it's not the Plano store...I visit that store often!
Not Irving for sure.. that one is pretty plain jane.

Mudkips said:
The main reason why I DON'T use them at all anymore.
They have a nasty habit of selling returned shit as new without telling you.

THey always mark the stuff with 'returned product' stickers here.. and reduce the price by like 5 whole bucks :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
wenis said:
Fry's "25 years of repackaging used items and selling them as new".
No kidding. Frys is great for parts if you like driving back and forth. Stuff that people cant break or short out is good to get there though.

edit:
TurtleSnatcher said:
THey always mark the stuff with 'returned product' stickers here.. and reduce the price by like 5 whole bucks :lol
The last time i saw the sticker you are referring to it was like they were trying to obfuscate the meaning of it. It just said something like "The Frys Guarantee!" When i asked what i meant i was told it was tested and guaranteed to work.. after it was returned :lol

When I went to quake con I didn't want to lug my computer halfway across the country.

I stopped at a frys in texas before I got there, bought like $800 worth of parts to build a computer.

After quakecon was over, I returned ALL OF IT and got $800 back. No questions asked.

God bless fry's

water_wendi said:
No kidding. Frys is great for parts if you like driving back and forth. Stuff that people cant break or short out is good to get there though.

edit:

The last time i saw the sticker you are referring to it was like they were trying to obfuscate the meaning of it. It just said something like "The Frys Guarantee!" When i asked what i meant i was told it was tested and guaranteed to work.. after it was returned :lol

Maybe it's region dependent, but the Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Campbell, and San Jose Fry's all do this and I see it regularly. In fact just now, I bought a router and had to push aside 5 of them that had the sticker in order to get a brand new one. Maybe in other areas, but the ones in the South Bay Area where Fry's originated all use the stickers and you can find them pretty frequently. I've returned stuff from them and see them put the sticker on right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom