• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardline Islam gets a grip in Malaysia

Renekton

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-as-hard-line-islam-gets-a-grip-idUSKCN1C400P

A United Nations cultural rights expert warned in a report last week that there is growing pressure to adopt a more narrow interpretation of the Islamic religion and identity in Malaysia, which excludes the country’s cross-cultural history, marginalizes religious minorities, and fails to take account of the diversity of Malay Muslims.

Also last week, after rumors that a gay party was being planned for Kuala Lumpur, the government issued a ban notice, and ordered immigration officers to deny entry to anyone planning to attend either that or the Better Beer Festival. The gay party organizers said they only ever intended to hold the party in Thailand, not Malaysia.

Enforcement authorities last month launched a probe into the Kuala Lumpur chapter of Atheists Republic, a Canada-based organization. A minister in Najib’s cabinet said later that Muslim apostates should be “hunted down vehemently”.

Malaysia has already made international headlines this year for barring the screening of the 2017 edition of Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” due to a “gay moment” in one scene. The film was eventually released after local distributors asked the censor board to review the decision.

The popular Better Beer Festival 2017, which has been held for the past five years, was unexpectedly called off last week after the Kuala Lumpur city council banned the October 6-7 event. The ban followed protests by the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), who said the event would turn the capital into “the largest vice center in Asia.”

This should dispel the notion that Malaysia is a moderate country. Signs point to rapidly increasing religious conservatism among the populace.

Condom

The hard line 'Islamists' are waging a huge political war, intimidating civilians and imposing uni-culture by neighborhood oppression. Many SEA governments are naive as fuck until it's too late.

mblahc

Neo Member
Malaysia has been getting more conservative over the years unfortunately. :/ It doesn't help that the government is also trying to pander to the super conservative Malays in the upcoming general elections to gain votes.

Laekon

I don't see this helping the country economically. From my rather limited experience doing business there it seemed most large businesses (but not multinational corporation large) were Chinese decedents with no religious connections. I could see lots of them taking their business elsewhere.

Ishan

Every country seems to be flowing into hardline stances the world evidently wasn't prepared for the fast adoption of globalization and the Internet ... Will take some time I think but we'll eventually work it out

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
When I lived in Indonesia in the 90's Malaysia was always seen as the slightly stricter more religious brother of Indonesia. But neither country was as hardline as they are now. And you can tie that rise in intolerance and idiocy right back to Saudi influence.

Oberon

Banned
Every country seems to be flowing into hardline stances the world evidently wasn't prepared for the fast adoption of globalization and the Internet ... Will take some time I think but we'll eventually work it out

I also wondered if the instant connectivity with the whole wolrd may be a reason for seemingly more people wanting conservative government. Change is scary to many people. And considering that the last centuries we changed probably more than in the whole human history I have to wonder if its just people wanted to desperately kling to whats familiar to them.
I also have to wonder when things will go better too.

Ishan

Is there any muslim majority country that hasn't taken a turn for the worse in last decade?
Bangladesh doesn't seem to have become too hardline over the decade but they have so many climate issues anyway . Pakistan still seems the same (not worse just same)

Morocco (haven't read up but haven't much bad about them recently) , Jordan still seems okay .... Lebanon also seems pretty okay

A reactionary backlash tends to come with major social changes.

Valhelm

contribute something
I'm afraid Indonesia will go down that same road (or is going down that same road actually)

The anti-Ahok riots and the rising homophobia are pretty scary, especially because Indonesia has been so secular for so long.

Jokowi has spoken out against the homophobia but if he makes any serious effort to protect queer people or non-Muslims he may not get re-elected

Is there any muslim majority country that hasn't taken a turn for the worse in last decade?

Tunisia
Jordan
Oman
Lebanon
Bosnia
Albania
Azerbaijan
Morocco
Iran
Kazakhstan
Tajikstan
Turkmenistan

Generally speaking, the only Muslim countries which are becoming more Islamic are the poor and corrupt democracies that allow far-right Muslim parties to organize and are then forced to make concessions. New democracies like Kyrgyzstan or Indonesia are particularly vulnerable. I guess the Gulf states are somewhat less reactionary than they were in 2006, but Saudi Arabia is still such a nightmarish country that it's not much of an improvement

Ishan

I also wondered if the instant connectivity with the whole wolrd may be a reason for seemingly more people wanting conservative government. Change is scary to many people. And considering that the last centuries we changed probably more than in the whole human history I have to wonder if its just people wanted to desperately kling to whats familiar to them.
I also have to wonder when things will go better too.

A reactionary backlash tends to come with major social changes.
Agree . I think there has become a clash between the early adopters tech ppl etc and now when the general populace (I know no where close to whole world general populace) is getting online or interacting with ppl who have seen other views norms are being challenged world over and that fast change is hard for ppl .

I believe Turkey and this country where pinned as examples of progressive Muslim countries, don't think anyone said the same about the others, they seem to remain the same.

Cynar

The anti-Ahok riots and the rising homophobia are pretty scary, especially because Indonesia has been so secular for so long.

Jokowi has spoken out against the homophobia but if he makes any serious effort to protect queer people or non-Muslims he may not get re-elected

Tunisia
Jordan
Oman
Lebanon
Bosnia
Albania
Azerbaijan
Morocco
Iran
Kazakhstan
Tajikstan
Turkmenistan

Generally speaking, the only Muslim countries which are becoming more Islamic are the poor and corrupt democracies that allow far-right Muslim parties to organize and are then forced to make concessions. New democracies like Kyrgyzstan or Indonesia are particularly vulnerable. I guess the Gulf states are somewhat less reactionary than they were in 2006, but Saudi Arabia is still such a nightmarish country that it's not much of an improvement
This isn't a promising list.. ☹️

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Not sure why anyone would be surprised at this. The world's sure going to be a different place in the next 50-100 years.

Ishan

Not sure why anyone would be surprised at this. The world's sure going to be a different place in the next 50-100 years.
If you're talking about a hardline Islamic huge influence on the world highly doubt it . They simply don't have the economic or military might . If you're talking about a polarized world can def see that but let's see how things stabilize ... We're talking 6 -12 s presidents possibly China becoming the dominant economy India overtaking tons . Eu going one or the other way , Putin no longer being there et etc too many variables

It's getting pretty bad yeah, and currently it's worse seeing as elections are near, as the ruling party is trying to court he conservatives.

Things are great at most urban areas and cities, so there are some who choose to ignore these here. Problem is, most of the rural areas are getting more and more conservative.

Ishan

It's getting pretty bad yeah, and currently it's worse seeing as elections are near, as the ruling party is trying to court he conservatives.

Things are great at most urban areas and cities, so there are some who choose to ignore these here. Problem is, most of the rural areas are getting more and more conservative.

I think this is a general trend worldwide . There are theories on how big cities will become the new countries . I can definitely see it going that way over the next few decades . The gap culturally economically etc is getting quite disparate from
Urban and rural areas the world over
Edit makes you think are cities the new castles and rural areas the outline farmers etc ... Complex complex issues

siddx

Maldives seems quite relaxed, but then again, that place is paradise, no time to be angry & close minded, too much beauty to take in.

They have had, and still have, some hardliners trying to push for more strict interpretations of Islamic policy. But it exists as a relatively moderate nation because it exists solely for tourists. Tourism forces Islamic nations to be more moderate and for the government to come down hard on hardliners. When Malaysia truly Asia starts losing its tourism money you will see a push back on this nonsense. But that will take a while.

Maldives is also only paradise to the wealthy visitors and people profiting from it. For many locals, it's a sinking (literally) nation overrun with foreigners taking up their land and leaving their trash. Anyone not working in the tourism industry weren't very friendly, which I understand.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very sad that some countries are regressing into this dark shit instead of progressing like any country should in 2017.

Maldives seems quite relaxed, but then again, that place is paradise, no time to be angry & close minded, too much beauty to take in.

Unfortunately that's not true. Statistically there's more ISIS fighters coming from the Maldives than any other country (relative to population size)

The tourist resorts may be a paradise, but they are strictly divided from the islands where the locals are allowed to live. And those are usually poor, overcrowded and without many opportunities. I guess that separation aids in radicalizing people. Also Saudi influence.

Chuckie

TTourism forces Islamic nations to be more moderate and for the government to come down hard on hardliners. When Malaysia truly Asia starts losing its tourism money you will see a push back on this nonsense. But that will take a while.

Indonesia has been a tourist nation for decades now. It is not stopping them from becoming more hardline. You could go into any tiny supermarket and buy your beers a couple of years ago. Now only cafe's and the huge supermarket sell it, and in some provinces not even that.

gnomed

The hard line 'Islamists' are waging a huge political war, intimidating civilians and imposing uni-culture by neighborhood oppression. Many SEA governments are naive as fuck until it's too late.

After the watching Ken Burns' The Vietnam War, I can't help think that SEA countries are regressing back with all the progress those countries have made within the last two decades. Especially the issue of repressing free speech and free press. Then again, Western countries are slowly creeping back to the early 20th century with far-right and fascist ideals permeating the general populace.

Renekton

They have had, and still have, some hardliners trying to push for more strict interpretations of Islamic policy. But it exists as a relatively moderate nation because it exists solely for tourists. Tourism forces Islamic nations to be more moderate and for the government to come down hard on hardliners. When Malaysia truly Asia starts losing its tourism money you will see a push back on this nonsense. But that will take a while.
Malaysia already pivoted by marketing to Muslim Arab tourists.

I also wondered if the instant connectivity with the whole wolrd may be a reason for seemingly more people wanting conservative government.
Back in 00s we thought connectivity will expand our horizons. Turns out it allows people of similar worldviews to connect and tune out the rest.

The biggest problem though, isn't the politicians.

It's the lacklustre economic growth, especially at the rural areas that will push and convert people to being more conservative.

And sadly, I'm not only talking about Malaysia. Same thing is happening all over South East Asia with Myanmar and Phillipines currently the worst of us bunch.

siddx

Indonesia has been a tourist nation for decades now. It is not stopping them from becoming more hardline. You could go into any tiny supermarket and buy your beers a couple of years ago. Now only cafe's and the huge supermarket sell it, and in some provinces not even that.

That's because it hasn't really affected its tourism industry yet. Bali remains it's gross overpopulated drunken self. If it stopped being tourism friendly and more conservative, tourism would shrivel and the government would freak. Jakarta can afford to be less hospitable to tourists because it's a shithole that nobody wants to go to. Bali cannot.

Chuckie

That's because it hasn't really affected its tourism industry yet. Bali remains it's gross overpopulated drunken self. If it stopped being tourism friendly and more conservative, tourism would shrivel and the government would freak. Jakarta can afford to be less hospitable to tourists because it's a shithole that nobody wants to go to. Bali cannot.

True. But I want to know Yogya's numbers tbh. It is very much a tourist city/province, but it also has pretty strict alcohol rules now.

On the other hand, Yogya does still have shitloads of cafes

Occam

I believe Turkey and this country where pinned as examples of progressive Muslim countries, don't think anyone said the same about the others, they seem to remain the same.

I think you aren't quite up to date regarding Erdogan's Turkey. Kemal Atatürk is spinning in his grave.

Dehnus

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-as-hard-line-islam-gets-a-grip-idUSKCN1C400P

This should dispel the notion that Malaysia is a moderate country. Signs point to rapidly increasing religious conservatism among the populace.

Gosh, these arses are screwing shit up everywhere don't they? Seriously what the hell, populism everywhere, just tailored slightly different per region to give a few arseholes at the top what they want in life: Riches, Fame and Power.

We'll never get off this earth and visit other solar systems :(. Some dickhead will throw us back for every step we make exploiting "feels!" and "fears!". Oh and "Member <x>?"

Audioboxer

This topic was an eye opener - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417256

You're always going to get individuals or groups inside a country espousing hateful comments, but when the Government and Government officials do it and potentially sanction actions it's a whole other level of fuckery.

These sorts of authoritarian/totalitarian takeovers of countries normally take a bit of time, but it can sometimes come quickly. There's a major concern for the current population, but also the populations to come as trying to undo situations like this can take ages and result in lots of bloodshed/brutality in between. Quite often the vast majority of the population gets indoctrinated and become subservient, if not convert and change out of fear of consequence.

Foreign intervention almost always makes things worse, so sanctions and global trade bans end up being one of the few things the onlooking world can do. Besides also talking about the issues and condemning them. So many countries get hardly anyone paying attention, even when activist groups from within are screaming out for global attention.

FStubbs

Tunisia
Jordan
Oman
Lebanon
Bosnia
Albania
Azerbaijan
Morocco
Iran
Kazakhstan
Tajikstan
Turkmenistan

Isn't Iran as Islamic as you can get without going into Taliban territory?

G.ZZZ

Isn't Iran as Islamic as you can get without going into Taliban territory?

Its population (at least in the big cities) is as liberal as you can find in islamic countries. Majority of University students there are women as well.

EDIT: got it wrong on universities, women are 49.8% so not the majority. Still, it's a very high number for an islamic country.

rrvv

I genuinely don't understand how this shift is happening in this day and age

The more you push something. The more opposite force push back. Progressive thinking is been push globally thanks to Internet. Hence we see more Conservative pushing it back.

The biggest problem though, isn't the politicians.

It's the lacklustre economic growth, especially at the rural areas that will push and convert people to being more conservative.

And sadly, I'm not only talking about Malaysia. Same thing is happening all over South East Asia with Myanmar and Phillipines currently the worst of us bunch.

Philippines had GDP growth of 6.8% last year. One of the highest in the world. Forecasting another 6.9% for this year.

Top Bottom