• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardline Islam gets a grip in Malaysia

CrunchyB

Isn't Iran as Islamic as you can get without going into Taliban territory?

The government is theocratic and strict, but the average Iranian civilian is actually pretty liberal and modern. It is apparently quite easy to avoid the wrath of the government, so if you don't do something suicidal like being openly gay, you can go and live your life in peace.

Source: I have an Iranian friend and also a coworker, they are about as western as you can expect. One is even an atheist. Nice people, but they have huge blind spots to the bad stuff in their country though...

Hexa

What's Malaysia's GDP?

$296 bil

https://www.google.com/publicdata/e..._mktp_cd&idim=country:MYS:SGP:THA&hl=en&dl=en

1000x-1.png

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...growth-beats-forecasts-as-economy-expands-5-8

Jumeira

Banned
The tourist resorts may be a paradise, but they are strictly divided from the islands where the locals are allowed to live. And those are usually poor, overcrowded and without many opportunities. I guess that separation aids in radicalizing people. Also Saudi influence.

Unfortunate. Me and my wife are planning to go to Malaysia and hopefully the Maldives at some point so ill gather my own thoughts while im there, but this upswing in conservatism is concerning even for Muslims id imagine, they come across as the alt-right of islam which ultimately means violence, intimidation and hate. Quite depressing to thing about.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Didn't Saudi Arabia recently give Malaysia financial aid and isn't Saudi Arabia one of the current Malaysian government's closest allies?

That aid and friendship wasn't going to come for free....

Saudi Arabia's grimy fingerprints are all over this rise of Islamic fundamentalism in Malaysia.

Philippines had GDP growth of 6.8% last year. One of the highest in the world. Forecasting another 6.9% for this year.

It's great that Phillipines, and even Malaysia has a nice economic outlook on paper. GDP doesnt really reflect what is going on inside the countries though.

Other people have said it better, and I would love to be proven wrong too. The last thing I want is for this region I'm in is to have its economy crumble.

are Saudis funding wahhabi schooling etc there or something, do they have an influence?

It's not only wahhabism, most Asians are conservative in nature.

Check out how Singapore, even being a secular country, has problems regarding their conservatives.

Is it possible for our Malaysian Department of Statistics to use very favorable measurement methods?

Living there now, it feels like everything is a bigger struggle than before.

or maybe the wealth hasnt trickled down.. you can have a higher and higher GDP without the main population benefiting at all, it happens.

Didn't Saudi Arabia recently give Malaysia financial aid and isn't Saudi Arabia one of the current Malaysian government's closest allies?

That aid and friendship wasn't going to come for free....

Saudi Arabia's grimy fingerprints are all over this rise of Islamic fundamentalism in Malaysia.
Let me get this straight. This means Iran is continuing to export their terrorists and dangerous brand of Islam to Malaysia in their long held mission to attack the United States of America and destabilize the world, right?

/American politicians

or maybe the wealth hasnt trickled down.. you can have a higher and higher GDP without the main population benefiting at all, it happens.

Of course it is. Same thing happening all over.

Which is why, even with Philippines' high GDP growth, you have people who are desperate enough to vote for Durterte.

ZiZ

People blaming Saudi for this. Do you have any more details?

I can see this as a lingering affect of their efforts to spread conservative Islam in the 80s and early 90s, but nothing they've done recently leads me to believe that they have any hand in this.

People blaming Saudi for this. Do you have any more details?

I can see this as a lingering affect of their efforts to spread conservative Islam in the 80s and early 90s, but nothing they've done recently leads me to believe that they have any hand in this.

On this case, I found the classical explanation of quick economical growth/urbanization that lead to extreme conservatism more satisfying than the Saudi one.

But it's also true that Google Islam (Saudi own almost every website you'll find, on the first page,looking for a fatwa online in almost every language) could have an influence also.

Top Bottom