• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard scientists coax human embryonic stem cells into creating insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grym

Type 1 diabetics rejoice! (unless of course you object on moral grounds to the use of embryonic stem cells...then.....yea)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...paign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202409

A team of Harvard scientists said Thursday that they had finally found a way to turn human embryonic stem cells into cells that produce insulin. The long-sought advance could eventually lead to new ways to help millions of people with diabetes.

Right now, many people with diabetes have to regularly check the level of sugar in their blood and inject themselves with insulin to keep the sugar in their blood in check. It's an imperfect treatment.

"This is kind of a life-support for diabetics," says Doug Melton, a stem-cell researcher at Harvard Medical School. "It doesn't cure the disease and leads to devastating complications of the disease."

People with poorly controlled diabetes can suffer complications such as blindness, amputations and heart attacks.

Researchers have had some success transplanting insulin-producing cells from cadavers into people with diabetes. But it's been difficult to procure enough cells to treat large numbers of patients. So scientists have been trying to figure out how they could get more cells more easily.

For Melton, who led the work at Harvard, this has been a personal quest. His son, Sam, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 6 months old, and his daughter, Emma, was diagnosed with the disease when she was 14.

"I do what any parent would do, which is to say, 'I'm not going to put up with this, and I want to find a better way,' " he says.

And now Melton and his colleagues are reporting in a paper being published in this week's issue of the journal Cell that they think they have finally found that better way.

"We are reporting the ability to make hundreds of millions of cells — the cell that can read the amount of sugar in the blood which appears following a meal and then squirts out or secretes just the right amount of insulin," Melton says.

The advance came after laboring for more than 15 years to find a way to turn human embryonic stem cells into so-called beta cells in the pancreas that make insulin.

Dozens of scientists spent years analyzing the cells' genes and experimenting with different combinations of chemical signals to try to coax the cells into becoming beta cells. Finally, they came up with a recipe that appears to work, Melton says.

"A short way of saying this might be like if you were going to make a very fancy kind of new cake — like a raspberry chocolate cake with vanilla frosting or something," Melton says. "You pretty much know all the components you have to add. But it's the way you add them and the order and the timing, how long you cook it, etc. The solution to that just took a very long time."

And when Melton and his colleagues transplanted the cells into mice with diabetes, the results were clear — and fast.

"We can cure their diabetes right away — in less than 10 days," he says. "This finding provides a kind of unprecedented cell source that could be used for cell transplantation therapy in diabetes."

Other scientists hailed the research as a major step forward.

"It's a huge landmark paper. I would say it's bigger than the discovery of insulin," says Jose Olberholzer, a professor of bioengineering at the University of Illinois. "The discovery of insulin was important and certainly saved millions of people, but it just allowed patients to survive but not really to have a normal life. The finding of Doug Melton would really allow to offer them really something what I would call a functional cure. You know, they really wouldn't feel anymore being diabetic if they got a transplant with those kind of cells."

Melton and others caution that there's still a lot more work to do. For one thing, they need to come up with a way to hide the cells from the immune system, especially for people with Type 1 diabetes. But they're working on that and have developed a shell to protect the cells.

"We're thinking about it as sort of like a teabag, where the tea stays inside, and the water goes in and then the dissolved tea comes out," Melton says. "And so, if you think about a teabag analogy, we would put our cells inside this teabag."

But that's not the only problem. Some people have moral objections to anything that involves human embryonic stem cell research because it destroys human embryos.

"If, like me, someone considers the human embryo to be imbued with the same sorts of dignity that the rest of us have, then in fact this is morally problematic," says Daniel Sulmasy, a doctor and bioethicist at the University of Chicago. "It's the destruction of an individual unique human life for the sole purpose of helping other persons."

Melton thinks he can also make insulin cells using another kind of stem cell known as an induced pluripotent stem cell, which doesn't destroy any embryos.He's trying to figure out if it works as well, and hopes to start testing his insulin cells in people with diabetes within three years.

I dont know whats wrong with my brain but I read the title as:

Harvard scientists coax human embryonic stem cells into creating muslim

lol

Still a cool development though. I would love if someone made a documentary on the history of stem cell research.

daniel sulmasy needs to go home and be a family man

It's a valid complaint to have - it would be a lot better to have a cure that didn't rely on an ethically tricky technique. Same as "we're doing these experiments on mice only because its so vastly better than other alternatives, and we're always trying to make those alternatives better".

Grym

Awesome. But how long until this becomes viable for most patients?

yeah...quite a long time still. They are still working on the cell coating technology (to ensure the person's body can't just kill the new cells). And then human trials and such. I'd say 5-10 years still and then only if everything pans out.

But it is still a pretty momentous discovery. And here I've been donating money to JDRF all these years when I should have been giving my charity money to Dr. Doug Melton. Who knew? ;)

It's a valid complaint to have - it would be a lot better to have a cure that didn't rely on an ethically tricky technique. Same as "we're doing these experiments on mice only because its so vastly better than other alternatives, and we're always trying to make those alternatives better".

which is why the last paragraph is so important. If they can do it without embryonic cells, it would remove that concern.

Ok. But why spend so much time using embryonic stem cells when they can't be used without being attacked by the immune system? I suppose because of the ease of growing them in culture?
I hope they will be able to do this with adult stem cells.
Will have to read article.

Grym

Ok. But why spend so much time using embryonic stem cells when they can't be used without being attacked by the immune system? I suppose because of the ease of growing them in culture?
I hope they will be able to do this with adult stem cells.
Will have to read article.

while creating cells that create insulin has been a big research goal in terms of type 1 diabetes for decades, there are lots of other research going on. Cell coating technology has been one of them for quite awhile now. Previously any implantation attempts needed immunosuppressive drugs in perpetuity. But if protective cell coating is perfected, together with these cells, it may solve the problem

Hell yeah keep the soda flowing.

yeah...I think you're referring to type 2 diabetics

Hell yeah keep the soda flowing.

Throw these cells into a Big Gulp and let's see how long they last.

while creating cells that create insulin has been a big research goal in terms of type 1 diabetes for decades, there are lots of other research going on. Cell coating technology has been one of them for quite awhile now. Previously any implantation attempts needed immunosuppressive drugs in perpetuity. But if protective cell coating is perfected, together with these cells, it may solve the problem
I just think using a patient's own stem cells is the real future.

Stem cells and scientists make a good team. Dig it.

edit: I think this might be important for anyone (like me) who doesn't know exactly what stem cells they are using.

III. What are embryonic stem cells?
A. What stages of early embryonic development are important for generating embryonic stem cells?

Embryonic stem cells, as their name suggests, are derived from embryos. Most embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos that develop from eggs that have been fertilized in vitro—in an in vitro fertilization clinic—and then donated for research purposes with informed consent of the donors. They are not derived from eggs fertilized in a woman's body.

For folks who want the paper:

http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(14)01228-8.

Highlights

•Stem-cell-derived β (SC-β) cells secrete insulin upon glucose stimulation in vitro
•SC-β cells resemble human islet β cells by gene expression and ultrastructure
•SC-β cell transplantation ameliorates hyperglycemia in mice
•SC-β cells provide a platform for therapeutic development and disease modeling

Summary

The generation of insulin-producing pancreatic β cells from stem cells in vitro would provide an unprecedented cell source for drug discovery and cell transplantation therapy in diabetes. However, insulin-producing cells previously generated from human pluripotent stem cells (hPSC) lack many functional characteristics of bona fide β cells. Here, we report a scalable differentiation protocol that can generate hundreds of millions of glucose-responsive β cells from hPSC in vitro. These stem-cell-derived β cells (SC-β) express markers found in mature β cells, flux Ca2+ in response to glucose, package insulin into secretory granules, and secrete quantities of insulin comparable to adult β cells in response to multiple sequential glucose challenges in vitro. Furthermore, these cells secrete human insulin into the serum of mice shortly after transplantation in a glucose-regulated manner, and transplantation of these cells ameliorates hyperglycemia in diabetic mice.

Hyperglycemia is the scientific term for type-1 diabetes, I guess.

rSpooky

Please be true !!! I will give my left arm/nut/eye/whatever you need if it helps find a cure for my daughter!!!

roxyd43

Neo Member
I've had Type 1 since I was 3. I remember when his team started researching this and the theory behind it. I was in high school and attended a lecture about the possibilities of embryonic stem cells where they spoke about this very thing. I never thought I'd be around long enough to see it actually happen. This will make my life and so many others' lives so much better.

CrankyJay

Banned
I don't know wtf is wrong with me, but I read coax as co-ax as in co-axial cable...I thought they were using cables to achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom