• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any game met or surpassed what young you imagined games would be like in the future?

Not just graphically, but in any aspect of games.

Physics, multiplayer scale, game worlds, gameplay, genres, sound, etc.

I always figured more genre crossovers would be common. It's more prevalent in the 2020s but I figured by now we would have way more fps + rts games for example.

Also, simulation games turned out just as detailed as I imagined back then. Specifically things like PC building sim, or farming sim, or life sims like the sims (oh, rhyme, cool) or Life is you.

When I first played Super Marios Bros I certainly couldn`t imagine games like TLOU or similar. Ever since the PS3 era though I think games have largey stagnated in their design, just the scope and the graphics are still evolving rapidly.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
In terms of young kiddos imagination "be whoever you want, do whatever you want", Baldur's Gate 3 is getting close to the realization. After all, sheer freedom is the hardest thing to do in any video games.

T4keD0wN

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - never imagined we would have games where you can fly across the earth and see actual representation of my home in

Outside of graphics the games are largely the same, going from Witcher 1 to Witcher 3 or Diablo 2 to Diablo 4 doesnt really surprise or impress me, most franchises havent evolved in any ways, ive expected a lot more ambitions and most games are barely as ambitious as GTA San Andreas was. Thought we would have games as ambitious as Star Citizen that actually come out, but it feels like most games are just remakes of old games, but with nice graphics. (i should probably try Half-Life Alyx i know)

Sucks that theres not that many ambitions and creative risks taken because theres so much money on the line nowadays, i didnt think of this problem as a kid.

Last edited:
lol I’m playing Zelda echos of wisdom and I’m thinking back to the kid version of my self wishing we got to the level of graphics that were in the instruction manual of The Legend of Zelda when I played in in 87’. I think we are there.

YukiOnna

Not a specific game, but when they started weaving cutscenes and gameplay seamlessly to create intricate boss battles in a large scale I was quite blown away.

Markio128

Gold Member
Nope, still waiting on that huge Pokemon MMO and Zelda with CGI graphics.
Yep, I always wanted a Zelda game to push the visual envelope, especially after playing OOT. Alas, Nintendo aren’t interested in pushing technology anymore, which is understandable. What they do with such limited technology is still fairly impressive, but I do wish they had a console that was up there with Series X/PS5. A Zelda game that looked like the Demon’s Souls remake would be my wet dream.

Trogdor1123

Little bit of both really. The graphics have far exceeded my expectations but worlds have not. I remember running around towns thinking it would be great to be able to go into every room of every house, even if there was nothing there. That is far from occurring and probably isn’t even really needed but I still expected it to happen when I was young. Same thing with AI, I realized pretty quick that even most basic ai would wax most players so I’m glad that never happened.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Yep, I always wanted a Zelda game to push the visual envelope, especially after playing OOT. Alas, Nintendo aren’t interested in pushing technology anymore, which is understandable. What they do with such limited technology is still fairly impressive, but I do wish they had a console that was up there with Series X/PS5. A Zelda game that looked like the Demon’s Souls remake would be my wet dream.

They teased us with the GC and Wii U tech demo's. Nintendo nailed the pixar look with Mario (and Luigi's Mansion) tho.

Killjoy-NL

When I was a teen, I wished there would someday be a FF where the world was filled with other people.
FFXIV is exactly what I had hoped for.

Also, VR.

Sethbacca

Graphically, I feel like games are great but what kind of kills the immersion at this point is the worlds still feel kind of dead with largely static characters and locations but I feel like we're on track to change that with generative AI and the like.

Radical_3d

Any game?
everyone GIF

Even the most lazy cash grab they release today is NASA tier for GenXers.

HogIsland

- Baldur's Gate 3 for paying off player choices

- Last of Us Pt 2 and Alan Wake 2 for extremely cinematic gameplay

- Half Life Alyx for transporting you to another world

- Destiny (and Journey) for eliminating the distinction between multiplayer and single player

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
All of them. I didn’t know anything about games as a kid, as I was homeless a lot. My cousin had the Nintendo with Mario and I was blown away and I think Top Gun. Being the way my early life was I didn’t know many existed outside of school like a computer we got in the sixth grade.

I love Final Fantasy because one friend I would stay with when my parents would disappear ,was FF1 on the NES. After that I didn’t play anything till I met my wife as an adult. In middle and high school I don’t remember kids talking about PC gaming, but they would talk about MK coming to the consoles and bring the booklets to school and I was fascinated by them.

So, since really 99 when I met my wife and she had a Nintendo 64 I have been blown away by games and what they can do. It seems like voodoo magic to me as I am 43 and I still know jack about technology. My oldest son has been building my gaming PCs since I believe the 780 cards, he buys me a new iPhone every year, and he installed a damn security system with cameras everywhere and I had to disconnect them because my wife and I were tired of seeing my penis shrinking throughout the years!

Anyway, yeah I’m always blown away by what people have accomplished with my hobby.

Last edited:

yurqqa

First games I saw had ASCII-based graphics and very simple gameplay.

So on one hand yeah, but on the other hand all the best impressions for the last years were from very niche indy games.

Last games that left huge impression for some aspect were Disco Elysium, It takes two and Astrobot in VR (newest one is a lot of fun and a lovesong to PS, but not that breakthrough as VR was).
And these games were some years ago.

P.S. Physics is a a complete disaster. Last game that really impressed me was Half-Life 2. There was some regress in PS360 era, and evolution after that but no revolution.

Last edited:
VVgeYEt.jpeg

Graphics wise we're pretty much where I dreamed we would be. Gameplay wise it's feels like we've stagnated in many ways, although there's a lot of good stuff in the indie space.

Cyberpunk 2077, never walked around in a game just to see the world and all that's going. First time I walked around in Nightcity felt like I was on vacation in the future. And that was on my One X. Did it again plenty of times on my everything maxed out 4090 pc.

rm082e

Some stand-outs:
  • FF7
  • FFX
  • Gran Turismo 3
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Halo: CE
  • Ninja Gaiden (and Black)
  • Bioshock
  • Dead Space (2008)
  • The Last of Us
  • Elden Ring
For me, those are the games that have really felt like a leap forward at the time they came out. There are tons of other games I love, but they felt more like iterations of existing paths we were already on.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

Definitely.
I think one thing that has surprised me is just how during the race to push graphics, how little I'm concerned for them now. Games big and small are surprising me.

unclbenn

After playing mgs2 I thought one day we'd get to play a game where you shoot up everything in a grocery store. I'm still waiting for that kind of destruction.

SHA

My younger self wanted any special game with infinite level generation like AI but level 500 of what we already have, I mean genuinely, not the stuff we see from doom mods, I mean an endless game, graphics are just tools, tricks exist to close the gap.

Cyberpunk 2077 is certainly a game I always imagined playing when I was young, although it didnt reach some of my expectations(such as all megabuildings free to explore, entering ppls apartments, etc.) it's no doubt the only futuristic game that became a reality. Every other game still just feels stuck in the past. There are a few others like Uncharted 4 being the best indiana jones game I have ever wanted to play and a few others but sadly not that many out there. Outside of Mass Effect, the space opera like some of our favorite tv shows from 20-30 years ago, there is nothing.

rm082e

Definitely.
I think one thing that has surprised me is just how during the race to push graphics, how little I'm concerned for them now. Games big and small are surprising me.

Same here. Once we got to 2012-ish high quality graphics, I stopped caring as much about cutting edge fidelity and got a lot more focused on resolution and frame rate. Once I built a gaming PC and played everything at native 1080/60fps, graphics kind of became whatever.

Now I look at stuff like Cyberpunk, Hogwarts, and Elden Ring and think "It's real nice that these games are so pretty, but they don't need to keep pushing." Especially if the high level graphics are inflating costs and killing their margins.

Holammer

Never imagined Pixel-art games would return. I really thought SotN on the PS1 was the last of its kind. The end of an era.
Now it's an embarrassment of riches with new games coming regularly from great indie devs, sometimes with art surpassing the best Capcom ever made in the 16-bit era.

GrayDock

Some games sure have, like the freedom in MGSV, the cinematic experience in Uncharted 2 and then TLoU after it and visually in Kena, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and FFVIIRebirth.
But those are exceptions, not the norm...
I still want a Zelda with Kena/R&C visuals, a remake of MGS with MGSDelta visuals and a remake for the NES Ninja Gaiden's, like the one we got for Shadow of the Ninja Reborn. Or maybe a new 2D Ninja Gaiden with modern visuals, if it's true to it's roots.

Top Bottom