• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

has anyone modded their xbox without a mod chip?

Joe

kevin rose on techtv did a segment a while ago on how to mod your xbox without a mod chip. all you need is the phantasy star online usb connector, a usb thumb drive, and mech assault. im thinking about doing that and i was wondering if anyone did it and how it worked out?

Scoobert

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to solder, so just spend the money on a solderless chip. More reliable than a softmod.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It's waaaay better and almost easier to just get a chip. There's a lot more functionality w/ the chip anyway.

Furthermore, there's a lot of work post exploit/chip install.

Joe

when he was demonstrating on tv he was doing everything a modded xbox with a chip could do. he installed evox and did everything to it.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
arodavatar.jpg

Owned.

Scoobert

You'll have more problems if you don't use a chip. If something goes wrong, you could see yourself buying a new Xbox. Things like that won't happen with a chip.

Plus you can get on Live with a chip. Spend the $50-60 on a solderless chip if you don't want to solder. One of the best investments you'll ever make.

Renegade

Banned
^^^Wrong. It's pretty damned simple and does just about everything except modify the boot screen. I even shown joaomgcd how to do it and it was quite simple

Do you have a 32MB thumbdrive? If so, download the tool craxtion or megaXkey. Download an exploit for either Splinter Cell, MechAssault or 007 Agent Under Fire that runs Evox, and FTP into your Xbox. I suggest using the UltimateDashExploit (UDE) as you can still play LIVE with it and it's instant access to your hacked dash.

And the UDE is SO simple to install. FTP the indicated files on Drive E: and C, and copy Update.xbe from the XBL folder into the C:\ root and you're DONE!

DaCocoBrova

I like pushing power and seeing that sweet, sweet EvoX dash... Or Avalaunch...

8bit

Knows the Score
Power On>Apps>XBMC is more than worth the price of a mod chip. And if that doesn't convince you, Power On>Apps>MAME.

DaCocoBrova

lmao @ this thread not being locked

Why would it? No links have been given. We can talk about this kind of thing all day long.

Where's Cockles btw?

Also, I think you mean Power On | Games | MAME

Renegade

Banned
Scoobert said:
You'll have more problems if you don't use a chip. If something goes wrong, you could see yourself buying a new Xbox. Things like that won't happen with a chip.

Plus you can get on Live with a chip. Spend the $50-60 on a solderless chip if you don't want to solder. One of the best investments you'll ever make.
Unless you do something REALLY REALLY REALLY stupid like format your C and E drive at the same time or one after the other that won't happen.

And, again, You can go on Live with the UDE.

You all are not up on your exploits :rollin

Renegade

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
I like pushing power and seeing that sweet, sweet EvoX dash... Or Avalaunch...
Boot your Xbox with no disk = Evox, Avalaunch, XBMC or whatever dash you've chosen.
Boot Xbox with disk = retail Xbox, right down to the Xbox Live

8bit

Knows the Score
DaCocoBrova said:
Why would it? No links have been given. We can talk about this kind of thing all day long.

Where's Cockles btw?

Also, I think you mean Power On | Games | MAME

Cockles was banned. I run Mame from a DVD, so I forgot.

Renegade

Banned
Oh, and boot your Xbox with a burned game/DVD/Evox disk/MAME disk or whatever=instant bootup of the disk. *

*If autostart is enabled in EVOX

joaomgcd

And there is even an auto-installer out there, called ltools, that does everything for you. It softmods your Xbox, and is completely foolproof.

All you need to do is load up the savegame with ltools, hit install, and you're modded. No need for chip or messing around with hard drives, and you do everything you want (emus, apps, etc). No problem with Live either.

Thanks again to vagabond for giving me an insight on this. :D

Top Bottom