• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hate Crimes Against American Muslims Most Since Post-9/11 Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

While the most current hate crime statistics from the F.B.I. are not expected until November, new data from researchers at California State University, San Bernardino, found that hate crimes against American Muslims were up 78 percent over the course of 2015. Attacks on those perceived as Arab rose even more sharply.

Police and news media reports in recent months have indicated a continued flow of attacks, often against victims wearing traditional Muslim garb or seen as Middle Eastern.

Some scholars believe that the violent backlash against American Muslims is driven not only by the string of terrorist attacks in Europe and the United States that began early last year, but also by the political vitriol from candidates like Donald J. Trump, who has called for a ban on immigration by Muslims and a national registry of Muslims in the United States.

“We’re seeing these stereotypes and derogative statements become part of the political discourse,” said Brian Levin, the director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at the San Bernardino campus. “The bottom line is we’re talking about a significant increase in these types of hate crimes.”

He said that the frequency of anti-Muslim violence appeared to have increased immediately after some of Mr. Trump’s most incendiary comments.

rTfEPKY.png

Link to study: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/17/us/18hatecrime_report.html

#racismisover
technically us arabs/of arab descent arent all muslim and perpetuating that notion probably just leads to further discrimination.

edit: I wonder how americans think of Sikh's. I imagine a lot of unjust hatred based solely on the turban, any amerigaffers have any anecdotals?

technically us arabs/of arab descent arent all muslim and perpetuating that notion probably just leads to further discrimination.

edit: I wonder how americans think of Sikh's. I imagine a lot of unjust hatred based solely on the turban, any amerigaffers have any anecdotals?

There was a mass shooting at a Sikh Temple a few years ago.

No need for anecdotes it's a statement of fact. Hence why a lot of the anti-Islam people are covering for being racist against brown people.

Sikhs get a lot of shit unfairly. There was a shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin a few years ago by a white supremacist IIRC.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
People are probably going to blame Trump for incendiary rhetoric and the media for amplifying it instead of dealing with the real problem - the head Muslim, Obama. If he were exorcised or bound in silver chains, the other Muslims would turn back into Christians.

Jumeira

Banned
This is awful. I assume a similar sharp rise in anti Muslim hate crime in Europe too. Politicians blanket statements about muslims that suffer daily due to their irresponsible and hateful speech is extremely popular unfortunately, there's a large portion of hateful individuals that feel it's thier right to be racist/xenophobic. It was never this bad, not when I was growing up, didn't fear for Muslim women walking to the store or going to work, it's always in the back of my mind.

Muslim families accept to being targeted as part of everyday life, which is sad. Abuse on the street, delay at airports (writing in Arabic is apparently enough to kick you off flights), discrimination at work.

Christ, a 200% increase in anti-Arab hate crimes. Granted, that's the second-smallest number of the lot, but that's still a disturbing statistic. And you can be sure many of those overlap with anti-Muslim crimes.

orochi91

He said that the frequency of anti-Muslim violence appeared to have increased immediately after some of Mr. Trump’s most incendiary comments.
Jesus.

I can only imagine how high the rate of these incidents will soar if Trump actually wins.

Hillary, please don't fuck up!

Rudelord

America really needs to crack down on hate speech starting with Trump. I hope his ass finds a place in prison soon.

No one is going to jail for saying hateful things, nor should it be illegal, even if it is not currently socially acceptable. The fact you think this should be a thing is quite alarming.

Putting your hands on someone though? Cuff 'em.

Jesus.

I can only imagine how high the rate of these incidents will soar if Trump actually wins.

Hillary, please don't fuck up!

I have a feeling it will rise for many minorities, like those being considered for mass deportation or "self-deportation".

This shit is disturbing to think about.

harSon

Banned
Not surprising considering 99% of the time in the media, television and film - Muslims are depicted as terrorists and the antithesis of Western ideology.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No one is going to jail for saying hateful things, nor should it be illegal, even if it is not currently socially 'acceptable'. The fact you think this should be a thing is quite alarming.

Putting your hands on someone though? Cuff 'em.

Hate speech incites people to commit violent acts, though.

Trump and the recent Anti-trans political movement demonstrates this.

When your free speech incites the marginalization of a group of people, that's not freedom.

Rudelord

When your free speech incites the marginalization of a group of people, that's not freedom.

Welcome to the very ugly side of freedom of speech. You can't claim it's free if you intend to limit what is heard under the banner of 'hate speech', no matter how vile it is.

Anyway, this isn't really the topic. This is about people who harmed other people physically, and that's definitely not okay.

Lyn

Banned
America really needs to crack down on hate speech starting with Trump. I hope his ass finds a place in prison soon.

Who decides what hate speech is?

It may seem all well and good to limit free speech to exclude hate speech but you have to keep in mind that the party in control of such laws may not always see things the way you do. Let us say you want to grant the government the right to dictate hate speech, but then someone like Trump comes along and his cronies work their way into elected positions as well. Do you want such a group creating laws where speaking out against whites or Christianity is hate speech, while allowing loop holes to denigrate minorities?

Speech needs to remain free regardless of the bad that comes along with it. Power changes hands all too often and it is better that more nefarious individuals are not allowed to control what is said.

Maximo

No, he's quite on point. Fallon humanizing the same person who is himself legitimizing and tacitly encouraging the hate that leads to these numbers is part of the problem.

Im amazed some people in the other thread don't see a problem with it.

Trump is a pretty simple scapegoat for this, but how do you explain the corresponding rises in hate crimes against muslims in Europe (UK, for example: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-34995431)?
You'll blame Farage, I guess.

Probably has more to do with ISIS and the attacks carried out in their name. Trump isn't helping though, sure.

Brexit in the UK.

Right wing racist political parties using refugee crisis to spread hate in Europe

woodland

Used to know a Sikh in HS. Everyone thought he was chill, he was chill, he still is chill. This was during the recession, but never heard of him ever having a problem.

Muslims are also the most unpopular group in the US as well. Checkmate, atheists, we're #1.

Its been a real shitshow the last year or so. Thanks Trump.
Let's give a little credit to actual Islamist terrorists too
ISIS has been prominent since 2013. Charlie Hebdo and Batalan were well over a year ago.
Paris attack was November last year so 10 months ago. Brussels was more recent. Multiple Istanbul attacks. Nice car attack. Orlando nightclub. Countless see stuff in the middle east.

I know it only takes basic common sense to understand but I wish in America we got to see more Muslims in a good or even just normal light.

I have a Muslim co-worker who went through this huge conversation about how much it hurts that not only do terrorists hijack their religion and make so many believe a certain way about it but they kill people in the name of that religion.

Almost all you ever see is bad shit on tv and such, so when idiots come across them on a rare occasion they obviously discriminate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom