• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

mOcA9.png

AGz2O.jpg

8hC5f.png

Developer: Adhesive Games

Publisher: Meteor Entertainment

Platform: PC

Price: Free-To-Play

Where: http://www.playhawken.com

Hawken is a multiplayer-only, free-to-play, first-person mech shooter. The game takes place on a planet called Illal. A corporation has been tasked with terraforming this planet, leading to strides in technological advancement and a lack of moral restrictions on development. As a result, a form of nanotechnology used to pull metals from beneath the planet's surface has slowly caused ecological destruction. Mechs were initially brought on to aid in construction, but over the years as the natural resources have dwindled, these mechs have been repurposed as war machines and the inhabitants are fighting over all that's left.

aSNjN.png

The mechs in Hawken are bi-pedal, with a “kit-bashed” aesthetic inspired by Kow Yokoyama’s Maschinen Krieger.

Mechs are divided into three types:

A-Class – Lightweight and agile, making them ideal for hit-and-run type of combat. However, their armor tends to be weak, so being able to dodge enemy projectiles is absolutely necessary to survive.

B-Class – A happy medium between the speed and agility of A-Class and the lasting power of those found in C-Class.

C-Class – Extremely durable and are able to take a lot of shots, however, they can be easy targets due to their lack of speed. These heavy machines have the unique ability to transform into turrets, which makes them ideal for defending areas.

The player is situated in the mech’s cockpit, and HUD icons are represented as gauges.

Mechs are outfitted with two weapons: one primary and one secondary. Weapons do not run on ammunition, but instead they generate heat when fired, requiring players to manage a heat gauge. When overheating occurs, the weapon system shuts down and the player must wait through a cool-down period before regaining weapon functions.

Thrusters come equipped on all mechs and allow them to perform extended maneuvers, such as boosting forward, dodging, and brief periods of flight. Using thrusters requires fuel, which regenerates when the thrusters are not in use. Fuel capacity is also monitored by a gauge in the cockpit.

All mechs come equipped with a Repair Drone, which can repair all damage on a mech. While being repaired, mechs are immobile and vulnerable to attack, making it essential to only repair in safe areas.

Each mech has what’s called an Ability, which are rechargeable skills permanently tied to a mech. Some Abilities include increased weapon damage, active camouflage, and fuel reserves. Though they can be used an unlimited amount of times, their cool-down is long. Abilities can potentially turn the tide of battle or save a pilot with high success.

Similar to the Abilities are Items, which grant the mech offensive and defensive capabilities. Some Items that can be equipped include turrets, EMPS, and holograms. Only one Item can be equipped at a time, and, like Abilities, Items have long cool-down times.

Mechs can also be equipped with up to three special components called Internals, which provide passive abilities for offensive and defensive functions.

Player progression comes in the form of experience points, which are earned through destroying mechs, completing objectives, winning matches, etc. Experience points advance a mech’s level, which grants optimization points that can be spent within a skill tree, providing the mech with even more passive abilities.

c1ly8.png

Besides the standard Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, Hawken also offers two unique game modes:

Missile Assault – In this mode, pilots must defend their team's base using missile silos around the map. Bases serve as the spawn points for a team. Missile silos under a team's control automatically attack the enemy base. Each map with the game mode has three missile silos. A team loses when its base is destroyed.

Siege
– In this game mode, teams must destroy the other's base with the use of an airborne battleship. Pilots must collect energy from around the map or off of destroyed mechs, and deposit the energy in a fuelling station. When enough energy has been accumulated, the team’s battleship will take off and attack the opposing team’s base. With the help of missile silos, defending teams must destroy the battleship before their base is destroyed, or else the game will end.

9IKkk.png

In Hawken, there are two kinds of in-game currencies: Hawken Credits, and Meteor Credits. Hawken Credits are earned via normal gameplay, alongside experience points for mechs. Hawken Credits can be used to buy most things, such as mechs and items. Meteor Credits cannot be obtained via play, and are acquired with real currency. Meteor Credits can be used for purchasing mechs and items (at a much lower price than Hawken Credits), cosmetic upgrades such as camoflages and parts from the body shop, and booster packs for XP and Hawken Credits.

Breakdown provided by superbank and Orayn
Code:
Category/Name        |  M   |  H   | $USD
MECH SHOP            |      |      |
 Mech                | 720  | 6410 | 5.00
BODY SHOP            |      |      |
 Upper Chassis       | 288  | N/A  | 2.00
 Middle Chassis      | 166  | N/A  | 1.15
 Lower Chassis       | 151  | N/A  | 1.05
 Strut Arms          | 137  | N/A  | 0.95
 Repair Drone        | 216  | N/A  | 1.50
 Thruster Nozzle     | 259  | N/A  | 1.80
EQUIPPED             |      |      |
 Offensive Item      | 432  | 3845 | 3.00
 Support Item        | 432  | 3845 | 3.00
 Counter Measure     | N/A  | 107  | 0.85
 Offensive Internal  | 288  | 2563 | 2.00
 Defensive Internal  | 288  | 2563 | 2.00
 Functional Internal | 288  | 2563 | 2.00
PAINT SHOP           |      |      |
 Paint               | 291  | N/A  | 2.02
                     | 411  | N/A  | 2.85
                     | 579  | N/A  | 4.02
                     | 1722 | N/A  | 11.96
 Taunt               | ???  | ???  | ???
BOOSTS               |      |      |
 One-Day Boost       | 288  | N/A  | 2.00
 Three-Day Boost     | 374  | N/A  | 2.60
 One-Week Boost      | 576  | N/A  | 4.00
 Two-Week Boost      | 864  | N/A  | 6.00
 Thirty-Day Boost    | 1440 | N/A  | 10.00

M = Meteor Credits purchased with real money
H = Hawken Credits earned through playing
$USD = United States Currency (rounded)
N/A = Cannot be purchased with these credits
??? = I don't know the price because I haven't leveled enough or
because I haven't purchased meteor credits it won't show me
dOQ0A.png

Vjva9.png

CPU: 2GHz Dual Core

Memory: 3GB RAM

Graphics Card: 512MB Graphics Card supporting Direct X 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0 (example: nVidia 9800 GTX or AMD HD 5670)

Operating System: Windows XP or higher

Hard Drive: 5GB of free space

Internet Connection: Broadband

88tf5.png

y8ETj.png

Debut Trailer

March 2012 Gameplay

Basic Training I: Garage

Basic Training II: Combat

Missile Assault Mode

Siege Mode

Cinematic Open Beta Launch Trailer

lSA8L.png

PC Gamer 79/100
If you don’t mind forking out, this is a beautiful and competent shooter with some depth. With additional maps and a more generous free-to-play model to enable players to more easily tweak their robotic steeds to some level, it could have been great.
ycDZ8.png

Wanna play with some awesome people?

Add your name to the spreadsheet so you can organize some matches with some fellow Gaffers.

antitrop

Been playing since the Alpha test a few months ago.

Great F2P game, I really enjoy it for what it is. I haven't been able to mess around with this new open Beta version, but I would like to soon.

Orayn

Loving everything about this game so far except for the number of credits I get per match completed. They either need to increase it, or decrease prices in the store.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Loving everything about this game so far except for the number of credits I get per match completed. They either need to increase it, or decrease prices in the store.

Thats the whole F2P bullcockery model.

It was the same with World of Tanks.

Anyone else having trouble getting the game to launch right now?
The launcher will pop up and get stuck at "waiting to download" for a minute then just disappear.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Looks great, will be downloading it, and playing it. Will be my first F2P game to boot.

Edit- Is the game officially out of beta?

MrBig

Looks great, will be downloading it, and playing it. Will be my first F2P game to boot.

Edit- Is the game officially out of beta?

No, it's an Open Beta now.

e: I hate in-game currencies that don't convert to dollar amounts nicely :/
Why do they have the cash shop open during beta?

They should probably add a "first win of the day bonus" ala League of Legends (for getting into top 3 in Deathmatch, being on winning team in Team Deathmatch/Siege/Missile Assault, but only for games you were in since the beginning). That would go a long way to helping mitigate the grind.

But then, they really want you to spend money, so you're either going to have to suck it up and pay or suck it up and grind.

I don't really mind that much. I spent $15 and already have the most badass bruiser ever conceived:

Game's fun enough that you really should consider plopping down $15 to buy your favorite mech and just play, buying stuff when you get the money to do so and not playing just so you can unlock something first.

ezrarh

I think the game's a lot of fun but I agree with some of the sentiments above. The prices are very high for minor stuff in the game so it feels like a grind. This is to be expected though.

antitrop

I think the game's a lot of fun but I agree with some of the sentiments above. The prices are very high for minor stuff in the game so it feels like a grind. This is to be expected though.
League of Legends' Pulsefire Ezreal skin is roughly the equivalent of $25 USD of Riot Points.

I think you underestimate how much F2P model games are willing to charge.

I should also mention that I own the Pulsefire Ezreal skin. You should not underestimate how much people are willing to spend on F2P model games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
League of Legends' Pulsefire Ezreal skin is roughly the equivalent of $25 USD of Riot Points.

I think you underestimate how much F2P model games are willing to charge.
Locking game content is not equal to cosmetics. Why do people keep making these comparisons?

It's because people buy those skins they subsidize free content for everyone else.

antitrop

Locking game content is not equal to cosmetics. Why do people keep making these comparisons?

It's because people buy those skins they subsidize free content for everyone else.
I wasn't making a 1:1 comparison between the two games, rather just making a point that F2P games have a history of charging high dollar values for in game items, which is pretty much an enormous profit margin if the game catches on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I wasn't making a 1:1 comparison between the two games, rather just making a point that F2P games have a history of charging high dollar values for in game items, which is pretty much an enormous profit margin if the game catches on.
Yeah that is fine, I just see crying over vanity items to be absurd when 5-8% of a player base buys things (That figure might be out of date).

I have not tinkered in Hawken OB yet, but if it is that bad I would assume they will bring things down or rework the mechs/classes similar to what T:A did recently.

antitrop

I was REALLY interested in this...until it went free to play.

Now i wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.
This makes absolutely no sense. F2P is a great model and plenty of great games use it, Hawken included.

To dismiss a game merely because you don't have to pay anything to play it, with a few strings attached, is something I'm going to need explained to me.

MrBig

I was REALLY interested in this...until it went free to play.

Now i wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Nah, the new generation of F2P games is great. Pay for tailoring the game to your playstyle on top of a solid, free foundation and have a huge amount of players supporting the game as there's 0 barrier to entry.

I haven't spent much time with Hawken though so I don't know how they're going about their cash shop.

Unicorn

Joined the Open beta and so far I really enjoy it.

Downloading a patch now, but wanna see if it supports controller.
KuGsj.gif

Card Boy

Banned
F2P is a great model and plenty of great games use it

But they are all wrong. When it takes me 1 month of daily play to earn a 6300IP hero in LoL, 80hrs to buy a 1000 cert weapon in PS2 or 2 weeks of play to earn a weapon in Tribes then something is wrong. I imagine Hawken is no different. I accept nothing longer than COD's progression system. This isn't F2P to me when such dedication is required to earn a single item, it's forcing P2W.

How long does it take in Hawken to earn a mech? How many hours?

androvsky

This makes absolutely no sense. F2P is a great model and plenty of great games use it, Hawken included.

To dismiss a game merely because you don't have to pay anything to play it, with a few strings attached, is something I'm going to need explained to me.

I'm really feeling the same sentiment with Mechwarrior Online, so I'll try to explain. I guess the super-short version is you either grind endlessly to never get anywhere, or you spend more money than you would on a complete game, and still somehow wind up with less content than you'd expect from a $60 game.

antitrop

But they are all wrong. When it takes me 1 month of daily play to earn a 6300IP hero in LoL, 80hrs to buy a 1000 cert weapon in PS2 or 2 weeks of play to earn a weapon in Tribes then something is wrong. I imagine Hawken is no different. I accept nothing longer than COD's progression system. This isn't F2P to me when such dedication is required to earn a single item, it's forcing P2W.
You are greatly exaggerating your claims in order to try to portray a wider gap between F2P model games, like Hawken or LoL, and Call of Duty.

How long does it take in Hawken to earn a mech? How many hours?
You could also just pay $60 (the same as you'd pay for CoD) and bypass the grinding, which is, y'know, exactly what they want you to do.

It's free to play. They guarantee nothing beyond that. And, frankly, if it were easy to get everything you wanted without grinding or paying, I'd say they failed. Their business would sink very quickly without the funds needed to stay afloat.

As I mentioned, I got a mech and customized it with just $15. That's a damn good deal in my book.

Though the fact that you'd need to play for around 30 hours to do the same with in-game credits might be a little excessive...
I'm really feeling the same sentiment with Mechwarrior Online, so I'll try to explain. I guess the super-short version is you either grind endlessly to never get anywhere, or you spend more money than you would on a complete game, and still somehow wind up with less content than you'd expect from a $60 game.
Quite.

But you really don't need access to all the mechs. You should be able to find a style that you gravitate to and stick with it. It's what I tend to do in FPS games anyways.

Mechwarrior Online has more problems than just the business model...

Sloane

Banned
Played the alpha / beta a bit, pretty good game but the F2P aspect and the way they're pushing it really bugs me. Not sure I'll stay around.

How is it better than paying let's say 20$ for the game in the traditional way?

antitrop

It's not grinding, it's online deathmatch with a store meta-game.

Played the alpha / beta a bit, pretty good game but the F2P aspect and the way they're pushing it really bugs me. Not sure I'll stay around.

Well the trick is for them to give the player good reasons to spend money on it. Maybe right now they don't, but it is a Beta. League of Legends kind of sucked in Beta, too. It's a completely different game now.

If Hawken takes off there will be good reasons to spend money on it, if you like the game. A good F2P game has to always be evolving.

How is it better than paying let's say 20$ for the game in the traditional way?
Because you get to try the game for free, and if it turns out you really, really like it but don't want to spend a dime you can just play for hours and hours and get what you want that way.

It also lets people who have tons of cash support the developers by buying tons of stuff. In fact, a lot of the funding for these types of games comes from players who spend over $500 in in-game stores (yeah, they're wealthy).
It's not grinding, it's online deathmatch with a store meta-game.
Good point. My bad.

It's only grinding if you don't enjoy the game (which is, after all, what you play when you're trying to gain those credits). MMOs that have you kill the same mobs over and over again ad nauseum have grinding. It's really a stretch to say any PvP game has a 'grind'. Now, if they have vertical progression systems, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax...

Teknoman

Downloaded the launcher/installer, but quick non-gameplay related question. Does the game have a soundtrack or is it just pretty much action/environment noises the majority of the time?

antitrop

Don't think about Hawken in terms of grinding deathmatch games in order to get better stuff at the store.

Think about playing Hawken to play Hawken.

Downloaded the launcher/installer, but quick non-gameplay related question. Does the game have a soundtrack or is it just pretty much action/environment noises the majority of the time?

There is menu music, but once in battle there is only gameplay sounds.

It has some music that plays during the title screen and during the end of matches, but that's about it.

(It's some nice music too)

iavi

I can't get my new comp built fast enough. Hawken's just no good on this old laptop of mine, and it kills me. I want to play!

antitrop

Also, have to say the graphics in this game are absolutely phenomenal. I was super impressed even in the Alpha, I wanted to post screenshots so badly, but it was NDA'd.

Now this open Beta version looks even better.

MrBig

You could ask the same question about Planetside 2 :p

You were never able to buy anything in PS2 before it officially released. My complaint is that if it's a beta there will be a lot of balance changes meaning things people pay for will always be in a constant state of flux, just about all of the base set of weapons were nailed down in the PS2 beta, with minor tweaks so far after launch. During the alpha they gave out a bunch of the ingame currency.

No, it's an Open Beta now.

e: I hate in-game currencies that don't convert to dollar amounts nicely :/
Why do they have the cash shop open during beta?

Search me, it's a rubbish practice. Same thing happened with Blacklight Retribution at launch and it burned a lot of people.

To be honest all F2P games where items are subject to patches are really annoying.

TGMIII

You were never able to buy anything in PS2 before it officially released. My complaint is that if it's a beta there will be a lot of balance changes meaning things people pay for will always be in a constant state of flux. During the alpha they gave out a bunch of the ingame currency.

I seem to remember being able to buy gear in PS2 during beta. Many F2P games have been doing this for a while now.

I'm assuming that their use of "beta" is more in line with a public test of servers, rather than a test for future balance changes. I think it was someone working on battlefield bad company 2 that said they found more people downloaded "Public betas" than downloaded "multiplayer demos".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You were never able to buy anything in PS2 before it officially released. My complaint is that if it's a beta there will be a lot of balance changes meaning things people pay for will always be in a constant state of flux. During the alpha they gave out a bunch of the ingame currency.

I assume it will be like Guild Wars 2, where all money spent will be returned to you in currency form to be used when the game goes live.

Top Bottom