• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

I'm sad that I tried this before MWO, actually. MWO turned out to be so disappointing, to me anyway. It would've been cool to have that and then suddenly HAWKEN ERMAGERD. Ah well, still have Hawken.

Davidion

Has anyone bought the Nemesis bundle? It actually seems like a pretty damn good deal for a newcomer if you're really interested in the game?

remist

Has anyone bought the Nemesis bundle? It actually seems like a pretty damn good deal for a newcomer if you're really interested in the game?

I bought the Prosk pack and had a good time with it, so I just went ahead and bought the Nemesis bundle also. The only complaint I have is that the cost of internals and items are too high. A mech unlock is 12,800 HC and it costs another 10,000-15,000 for a solid item and internal build(I'd say you make around 1,200 in an hour, rough guess). A good set really gives you an advantage, so it only makes sense to focus on a few mechs. I'm mostly playing Reaper and Raider, with a little Vanguard thrown in the mix.

Also, they're allowing a test drive of the Assault, Grenadier or Scout until March 4th and the $10 early access bundle ends soon. Let me know if anyone wants to play this weekend.

I bought the Prosk pack and had a good time with it, so I just went ahead and bought the Nemesis bundle also. The only complaint I have is that the cost of internals and items are too high. A mech unlock is 12,800 HC and it costs another 10,000-15,000 for a solid item and internal build(I'd say you make around 1,200 in an hour, rough guess). A good set really gives you an advantage, so it only makes sense to focus on a few mechs. I'm mostly playing Reaper and Raider, with a little Vanguard thrown in the mix.

Also, they're allowing a test drive of the Assault, Grenadier or Scout until March 4th and the $10 early access bundle ends soon. Let me know if anyone wants to play this weekend.

I think it would be good if they could offer test drives of all mechs in the offline bot matches, maybe 10-15 minutes for each mech, so you could see how each class plays.

You are pretty much buying into a class blindly; I bought a mech way back and I just didn't get on with it so it was a total waste of money.

Davidion

Yeah, it's nice to have just the field to play around with and level what you want instead of having to pick.

Bought raider and brawler already though...damn inefficient spending...

Been having a great time with this game.

Also see the card game for it just came out, seems you get $5 of in game money for buying a set (there is two sets out).

The only thing I wish is that the game had more background fluff story material that a person could enjoy. It's basically like a paragraph explaining the general setting, but I love lore in my games. I see there is a comic book series but you got to pay for that

Been having a great time with this game.

Also see the card game for it just came out, seems you get $5 of in game money for buying a set (there is two sets out).

The only thing I wish is that the game had more background fluff story material that a person could enjoy. It's basically like a paragraph explaining the general setting, but I love lore in my games. I see there is a comic book series but you got to pay for that

I bought the hardback Hawken origin story graphic novel and it's pretty nice. I'm not really a GN connoisseur but I enjoyed it. If anything I think it provided a bit too much lore.
It portrays one of the 'teams' in-game, Prosk and Sentium, as being kind of an evil megacorp, and the other as not quite so bad. So even though they're completely interchangeable from a game point of view, suddenly I'm not so pleased to be on one over the other, which is kind of annoying.
I usually forget about that when I play, so it's fine. I'd say meh to the book overall, but I do like pretty things, no regrets.

Playing around with the gfx settings for a few days now I realized the game does need the film grain effect on to look its best even tho that feature bugged me out in other games that used it. But the static effect is just a nuisance imo.

Huh... If I already had a beta account from way back when do I still have to pay for the client on Steam (before the 7th)?

As far as I know, no. They should have emailed you to say that you can migrate. My account was from beta, too.

Playing around with the gfx settings for a few days now I realized the game does need the film grain effect on to look its best even tho that feature bugged me out in other games that used it. But the static effect is just a nuisance imo.

I think I had both turned off when I was playing it first, but they're back on now because of the Steam install. Haven't really messed with settings since. Without either, it reminds me more of Phantom Crash, which is obviously something I want.

Kolgar

I've been waiting a long time for a good, fun mech game, and I think I've found it. Been playing the past couple of days and having a great time. Really appreciate the attention to detail the devs put into the mechs and the environments. The atmosphere is amazing and you feel like you're right in the cockpit. The starter mech is pretty nimble and after a few tries, I've found a configuration I like on the 360 pad.

Somewhat strangely, the game is giving me flashbacks to Assault Rigs on PSX (some of the art really recalls that game for me), but this is obviously a whole lot prettier.

Hawken might prove to be my Titanfall. I've got that game preordered for Xbox 360 (not buying a One), but this game seems to be delivering that mech fix just fine.

I downloaded this game last weekend and I'm hooked.
I love the look, the atmosphere and the "weight" of the mechs.

I got my ass handed to me a couple of times, but now I'm getting the hang of this.
Also the damn game is gorgeous :D

Here I am on my faithful mech called "the microwave oven" :)
8039C6C697DAA87F73423AA254398DD029F38A21

Stupid me I didn't even notice this thread when I searched the games section for Hawken. Mistakenly bumped an older thread. With that said this game is great. I only recalled seeing a video of it a few years ago and was looking at the front page on steam yesterday and bam there it was. Since then I've played about 6 hours or so and its been a blast. The free to play model seems fair. Similar to Tribes Ascend in that I was rocking just fine with the base mech till I saved up enough to unlock the Berzerker. I really hope this game picks up in popularity it deserves it.

Oreoleo

I also started playing this once it went F2P on Steam, after being aware of the game for over a year now, I just sort of stubbornly didn't want to play it outside of Steam/never had proper motivation.

But now that I'm playing it I'm having a ton of fun with it, and it has totally sidelined CS:GO for me which I was putting ~20 hours a week into. I'm still rocking the CR-T but I've got it up to level 5 and am saving up for a Scout (I think, might change my mind) as my 2nd mech. I've been littering my Steam feed with screen shots and comments hoping to pique other people's interest in the game. Shame it hasn't gotten more traction amongst gamers.

Anyone have recommendations for other mechs? I'm looking for something a little more punchy and mobile than the default mech, but the only Class A they let you test drive is the Technician, which I don't think I'd be into much as it seems a little too reliant on hiding behind team mates. I'd rather use one that can duck and weave in and out of cover and be more self reliant than the Tech seems to be.

I'm digging my Berzerker if your looking for close to mid range Light Mech fun. Its fast but it has some of the same weapons that the CRT has (SMG and TOW to start with Assault Rifle and Vulcan unlockable) but instead of the weapon coolant and shield you get a damage booster and grenade. Your paper thin but if you get the drop on someone they are gonna die.

Oreoleo

I haven't played this in a good while, until this week. The changes really speed up the game. I like it this way.

Yeah, me too. I only played it after the speed changes but I followed the game enough from when it was announced, back then it almost looked more like a sim type of game where all the movement was much more weighty and deliberate. Now, with all the dodging and juking it reminds me of something like Unreal Tournament, which is one of the greatest games ever \o/

Wish this were more popular though. It never quite took off the way I was hoping it would when it was revealed.

Unicorn

Been playing this more since summer hit. So good. I've been getting better with the Technician. Fucking, why didn't anyone tell me the machine gun is infitely better than the starting gun. Yeah, it gives 15% bonus damage for teammates, but the machine gun just does more damage and I'm waaaay more help to the team now. Also discovered the alt. beam so that adds a lot too and I've been cleaning up MVP a lot because of it.

Askani

Is anyone else still playing this? I'm not hardcore, but I've been around since Alpha.

Scouts seem like they are completely broken speed wise, so naturally the people who still want to play Quake 3 Arena are all gravitating towards them so they can jump around like dinks. In a Mech. Seems silly. That or a majority of people pick the Invis Mech and throw random mines all day long without actually getting in fights. Game seems to have gone downhill and I'm about to call it quits.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Scouts are annoying to deal with but it isn't like they aren't squishy. Depending on the game mode you can and your team can take them down pretty easy.

Everyone on 4chan apparently hates the "Tech" mech.

Atomski

I play quiet a bit, I just unlocked the Technician but oof kinda hard playing that after being so use to a bruiser. Feel like I get destroyed instantly and team mates dont help much while I am healing them.. like running away from a fights and such.

Askani

Yeah people aren't the best at protecting tech. Tech's red beam is awesome though. Make sure to switch back and forth. His prestige weapon helps a lot too when you get him leveled.

Is this dead online?

I have an itch to get back into the game. All I am doing is staring at my library of games and not playing anything and Hawken came to mind.

It is just that the game seemed to go off a cliff with dwindling player numbers and new maps arrived at every passing of Halley's comet.

I wish it could go back to the closed beta days. Those were some truly good times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is this dead online?

I have an itch to get back into the game. All I am doing is staring at my library of games and not playing anything and Hawken came to mind.

It is just that the game seemed to go off a cliff with dwindling player numbers and new maps arrived at every passing of Halley's comet.

I wish it could go back to the closed beta days. Those were some truly good times.

It's been bleeding for a while. 500 or Sub-500 players at a time depending on when you play. The problem is, the devs haven't said a word in a long time (since May?) about any updates, so a lot of players have just left.

It's been bleeding for a while. 500 or Sub-500 players at a time depending on when you play. The problem is, the devs haven't said a word in a long time (since May?) about any updates, so a lot of players have just left.

Yeah that doesn't sound too good. I used to get email updates but it has been dry for a long while. Damn this game had so much promise.

Closed beta 2 was so good. A real shame.

I just saw this on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-16-people-behind-apb-reloaded-buy-hawken

People behind APB Reloaded have bought the game.

I would love to think that something can be done with the game as it was so much fun back in the alpha and closed beta tests. It just got stale with little content and low player numbers. The essence of the game seemed to alter over time with the onus being on stupidly fast mechs and low TTK. Tactics became less of thing to worry about.

Top Bottom