• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

Wunder

Did they change the currency because I thought there was an issue in a GB QL when they were looking at the store and saw 'XP' boosters and were grossed out by it but it wasn't actually experience points but Hawken's currency or something.

Unicorn

I love the scraping sound when you're boosting up against a wall.
Did they change the currency because I thought there was an issue in a GB QL when they were looking at the store and saw 'XP' boosters and were grossed out by it but it wasn't actually experience points but Hawken's currency or something.

there's an option for Hawken coin boosts as well as an xp boost you can buy.

Card Boy

Banned
if it were easy to get everything you wanted without grinding or paying, I'd say they failed. Their business would sink very quickly without the funds needed to stay afloat.

Just think for 2 seconds please, not everything needs to be Pay2Win to succeed and make money. Path of Exile is cosmetics and extra bank slots only, DOTA2 is cosmetics only. Both thoses games are doing very well for each other.

Just throwing it out there they could of gone:

* Cosmetics, charge for extra character slots only
* In game ads
* Paying $5 minimum gets rid of ads plus you get updated to VIP
* VIP gives you access to creating clans / server priority / ability to create custom servers + other stuff that has no impact on game balance

At least with in-games ads you make money off free-loaders. Its a win win and everyone is happy.

Orayn

Hawken has few enough unlocks that they really could sell all the mech chassis and all the items+interals as a $50-60 package and still only have it be at a slight discount over buying them all individually. Personally, I'd jump on that if they offered it, and they'd still get a few more dollars out of me for cosmetics.

Yeah, LoL's model is best. Cosmetics only.

You mean Dota 2, right?

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah, LoL's model is best. Cosmetics only.

It takes 2 matches for almost a month to earn a 6300IP hero (assuming your winning those matches). As far as im concerned you might aswell call it a Pay2Win game as people with cash are getting a advanage. It takes years to earn every hero the free way.

Orayn

I'm talking strictly real monies. in-game currency can be spent on champions.

Hawken is exactly like that, though. You can use in-game currency for everything but cosmetics. The problem is that you gain far too little of it from each match.

Unicorn

It takes match 2 matches for almost a month to earn a 6300IP hero (assuming your winning those matches). As far as im concerned you might aswell call it a Pay2Win game as people with cash are getting a advanage over people when it comes to heroes.

I don't know. With rotations and daily win bonus along with weekly discount on stuff, eventually you get the dude(s) you want. I didn't really play that much LoL but was able to buy Warwick and have enough to buy someone else. I honestly didn't have a problem with the rotations because it got me to try something I may not have before.
Hawken is exactly like that, though. You can use in-game currency for everything but cosmetics. The problem is that you gain far too little of it from each match.

Yeah. Hard pill to swallow.

MrBig

I seem to remember being able to buy gear in PS2 during beta. Many F2P games have been doing this for a while now.

The game didn't even have your Station Cash data available until the 11/20 release build.

* VIP gives you access to creating clans / server priority / ability to create custom servers + other stuff that has no impact on game balance

Stripping out core game features and putting them behind a pay wall is a terrible idea...

Can anyone actually comment on what exactly can be bought in Hawken, and what effect the things you buy has on balance? Coming from Planetside 2, weapons you can purchase with money are side grades, not really effecting balance as it's the same effectiveness but altered proportionately in aspects such as RoF, DPS, and accuracy. Buying things is done to tailor the game to your playstyle, and not to make you more effective than your opponents.

Orayn

I'd even be fine with rentals, if only to let me figure out which offensive/support items and internals I want to actually grind for or drop a few dollars on. The way it's set up now is just too daunting, like grinding for a new tank in WoT without knowing that it'll actually be an upgrade.

Jtrizzy

This looks good and it's more fun than a regular fps. I think I'll buy a mech but will have to do a little research into it first. Also why am I called recruit 67 or whatever? Do I have to rank up to have a user name or something?

kami_sama

This looks good and it's more fun than a regular fps. I think I'll buy a mech but will have to do a little research into it first. Also why am I called recruit 67 or whatever? Do I have to rank up to have a user name or something?
Are you sure you didn't choose that username? Or was it in the tutorial?

I've play some just now. It's a lot better from what I remember from the closed beta!

Absinthe

Been in the BETA for a while.. Man this game is really fun. A good change of pace for an FPS, and the F2P model is not that bad at all. Without investing any money you can be affective and get a bunch of kills.

I'm not really sure why people here are upset with the direction they went. The carrot on a stick formula is here, but who cares if the game is fun right?

I wouldn't consider it Pay 2 Win because you're just as capable without investing any money.

kami_sama

Been in the BETA for a while.. Man this game is really fun. A good change of pace for an FPS, and the F2P model is not that bad at all. Without investing any money you can be affective and get a bunch of kills.

I'm not really sure why people here are upset with the direction they went. The carrot on a stick formula is here, but who cares if the game is fun right?
But it would be better if you could get more credits with each game played.

Jtrizzy

Holy shit at this game in 3D. I'm not a huge proponent, but it's great in this game. The reticle/hud thing isn't done properly yet, but the inside of the cockpit looks so awesome. I tested it at 1080p24 (with a controller, can you imagine the sluggishness? lol) and 720p60, which they clearly haven't optimized for yet, frame rate would go all the way to 30 at times (in 60hz mode), with my 580 at like 33%. But it looks really good...well with the exception of garage, that map is really bland.

I can only imagine this on the Occulus Rift...

jon_dojah

Banned
Holy shit at this game in 3D. I'm not a huge proponent, but it's great in this game. The reticle/hud thing isn't done properly yet, but the inside of the cockpit looks so awesome. I tested it at 1080p24 (with a controller, can you imagine the sluggishness? lol) and 720p60, which they clearly haven't optimized for yet, frame rate would go all the way to 30 at times (in 60hz mode), with my 580 at like 33%. But it looks really good...well with the exception of garage, that map is really bland.

I can only imagine this on the Occulus Rift...

Just got my new PC and picked up Just Cause 2 and Sonic All Star Racing. I played them in 3D since they both got high marks in 3D visuals. Hawken was going to be my next 3D pickup. Since I'm using a DLP television 720p60 is the limit so I'm thinking of picking up three 3D monitors. I just hope the 3D in Hawken is as amazing as the other games. I wanted Oculous Rift for Hawken originally but it seems the wait for one will be long

Jtrizzy

Just got my new PC and picked up Just Cause 2 and Sonic All Star Racing. I played them in 3D since they both got high marks in 3D visuals. Hawken was going to be my next 3D pickup. Since I'm using a DLP television 720p60 is the limit so I'm thinking of picking up three 3D monitors. I just hope the 3D in Hawken is as amazing as the other games. I wanted Oculous Rift for Hawken originally but it seems the wait for one will be long

It's some of the best 3D I've seen, and I've tried most of it. As I said the reticle isn't done properly yet, so the depth is off. It's not even rated by Nvidia yet, and the beta just started so I can't complain. Although it is obviously something they will have to fix, and get the frame rate optimized in 3d.

The cockpit, and the game world have great depth though. I didn't even mind playing it in 720, which usually drives me crazy. When it was running at 60 it looked so awesome. I tried it in 1080p24, it was comical how bad people were beating me though at that refresh rate.

I need to read up on the rift though.

Gowans

I like it, very different from Mech Warrior Online and this leaves a great first impression. Tonnes of action in my FFA game.

Nome

I didn't have fun with this game until I tried the Scout (it's free right now). Flanking and shotgunning some poor B/C class and then zooming away while his team desperately chases you is pretty cool.

I can't play this for more than 2 matches at a time though. And yeah, the grind is slow. League has some very cheap champs (you can grind them out in 2-3 games if you play one game a day), but everything in Hawken will take quite a long time. I gather this may change as they add more mechs though.

Corto

Mech soldier reporting for duty! Sir, yes sir. Added myself to the spreadsheet, but I'm the only Yuropean so far. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I might actually jump into this, had some issues with the beta with regards to "approachability" of the gamesystems, mech functions and ui woes but what I played of it I thoroughly enjoyed.

Some screens from the open beta I took

hawkengame-win32-ship0jryp.png

hawkengame-win32-shipx7rvz.png

hawkengame-win32-shipy0pgd.png

hawkengame-win32-shipo3q62.png

t00t

Neo Member
I'm enjoying what I've played of the open beta, though I couldn't really see myself spending any cash on it really. I wouldn't say it's super 'pay2win', but some of the lock-on rocket mechs seem a bit easy/OP and there is a bit of a grind if you're playing for free. Cool game though.

Corky

Unlocked a weapon ( submachine gun ) for my recruit assault but I can't equip it for some reason. Anyone know why? ( I meet the lvl req )

legacyzero

Banned
Nice OT.

I'm playing the beta right now and it's pretty cool. I gotta get that damn Film Grain off though. That shit is horrendous.

My in-game name is Zyrusticae, in case nobody's picked that up yet (I posted a screenshot of it).

It takes 2 matches for almost a month to earn a 6300IP hero (assuming your winning those matches). As far as im concerned you might aswell call it a Pay2Win game as people with cash are getting a advanage. It takes years to earn every hero the free way.
This is stupid.

NOBODY NEEDS EVERY SINGLE HERO.

Just like nobody needs every single mech, every single item, and every single internal in Hawken.

It's a rubbish argument. Get what you actually want, ignore the rest. It's that simple.

I'm enjoying what I've played of the open beta, though I couldn't really see myself spending any cash on it really. I wouldn't say it's super 'pay2win', but some of the lock-on rocket mechs seem a bit easy/OP and there is a bit of a grind if you're playing for free. Cool game though.
The lock-on weapon (Hellfire Rockets) has an extreme downside: it's basically useless in close-quarters combat. If you're facing one, find cover and try to get in its face. You can also dodge it at range by side-dodging at the very last second (yes, it's hard, but that's how it should be).

Corky

Seriously.... I'm going nuts...

untitledzppml.png

See that equip button? No matter how many times I click it I won't stay equipped.

I honestly have no idea what's going on there, Corky.

Maybe recruits can't switch weapons? Maybe it's a bug? Try asking on the official forums. It might be a known issue.

I might actually jump into this, had some issues with the beta with regards to "approachability" of the gamesystems, mech functions and ui woes but what I played of it I thoroughly enjoyed.

Some screens from the open beta I took

I am building a new machine, can you tell me what you're running so I can get an idea of how this will perform on the build I'm considering?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nice OT.

I'm playing the beta right now and it's pretty cool. I gotta get that damn Film Grain off though. That shit is horrendous.

I fucking love that film grain. I'm a crazy person.

Btw, should I be replacing parts on my recruit, or just buying new mechs? Can I make other classes like the assault via parts?

I guess my question is this: are the other mechs merely ready made suggestions of parts available to buy separately?

Corky

I am building a new machine, can you tell me what you're running so I can get an idea of how this will perform on the build I'm considering?

I'm running an OCed 670@1300 mhz ( which should perform on par or above a stock 680 ) and a 2600k @4.5 ghz, using all settings max and physX at 1920x1080 I get an average of 60 fps with dips when action gets hectic onscreen.

Nah, the new generation of F2P games is great. Pay for tailoring the game to your playstyle on top of a solid, free foundation and have a huge amount of players supporting the game as there's 0 barrier to entry.

I haven't spent much time with Hawken though so I don't know how they're going about their cash shop.

I think they went about with the same model as Tribes: Ascend in which its basically a retail game you can either play for free and slowly earn credits to buy stuff, or pay a retail price($40-60) and get most of the content.

In my opinion, there are 2 ways F2P works... The above model which is more like a hybrid retail game (Sort of the reverse of Guild wars 2) and a purely cosmetic model like PoE for a truly F2P experience.

I fucking love that film grain. I'm a crazy person.

Btw, should I be replacing parts on my recruit, or just buying new mechs? Can I make other classes like the assault via parts?

I guess my question is this: are the other mechs merely ready made suggestions of parts available to buy separately?
Well, other mechs have different weapon choices and special abilities.

Other than that, you can buy the visual parts separately. However, you have to pay extra for any parts other than what your base mech comes with.

I'm running an OCed 670@1300 mhz ( which should perform on par or above a stock 680 ) and a 2600k @4.5 ghz, using all settings max and physX at 1920x1080 I get an average of 60 fps with dips when action gets hectic onscreen.

That's...pretty damn close to what I was considering.

Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, other mechs have different weapon choices and special abilities.

Other than that, you can buy the visual parts separately. However, you have to pay extra for any parts other than what your base mech comes with.

Gotcha. I'm a little tired already of using the same noob mech as everyone else, but MAN, it takes forever to earn the cash to buy a whole new mech, and it's so tempting to buy weapons for my existing one.

I do like that you get 2 free mechs out of the gate to get a sense of the other weight classes, but you can't upgrade them or anything. :(

leaf_

But they are all wrong. When it takes me 1 month of daily play to earn a 6300IP hero in LoL, 80hrs to buy a 1000 cert weapon in PS2 or 2 weeks of play to earn a weapon in Tribes then something is wrong. I imagine Hawken is no different. I accept nothing longer than COD's progression system. This isn't F2P to me when such dedication is required to earn a single item, it's forcing P2W.

How long does it take in Hawken to earn a mech? How many hours?

I agree 100%.
I played for about 3 hours and accumulated about 1500pt, the mechs are 6850 each if I remember correctly, weapons and accessories are 3650... There's no way I will continue playing, was fun while it lasted.
It's the same problem with others f2p games that's why even an awesome game like tribes is not even in the top 100 on steam =\
The devs should try to follow dota2/tf2 model or try and innovate with their business model because all this grinding only limits their audience to the most fanatics.

DTKT

My in-game name is Zyrusticae, in case nobody's picked that up yet (I posted a screenshot of it).

This is stupid.

NOBODY NEEDS EVERY SINGLE HERO.

Just like nobody needs every single mech, every single item, and every single internal in Hawken.

It's a rubbish argument. Get what you actually want, ignore the rest. It's that simple.

The lock-on weapon (Hellfire Rockets) has an extreme downside: it's basically useless in close-quarters combat. If you're facing one, find cover and try to get in its face. You can also dodge it at range by side-dodging at the very last second (yes, it's hard, but that's how it should be).

What if the thing you want is a hero costing 6300 IP? In some kind of twist of fate, Riot has only released been releasing heroes priced at that "it's going to take you a month" price point.

VaeVictis

The UI needs some work. Many of the dialog windows don't have a close button. The font size is also too small with text color blending into the background.

For a beta the gameplay is already very satisfying. Once you get used to the movement and dodging mechanics it becomes the most original new FPS in recent years. The upgrade part and cash shop have a lot of World of Tanks influence in them. Hopefully it will also match its success.

Top Bottom