• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDadvance 2.0 Blues

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I have an original launch version 1 PS2, 10 screw serial number starting with U1.
Last night I picked up a 3B Network adapter to replace the 2C that I've had for eons.

I have a variety of Maxtor ATA HD's... a 250, a 160, a 120, and 2 small drives probably like a 5 and a 10 just for testing purposes, all set to "Master"

They all give me the same result... nothing. I pop them in the back fire up my PS2, and it freezes at the Hdadvance title screen....

The obvious question... is it my PS2?

DarienA

Docpan said:
Pssst.... Supposed to be slave, not master.

Though I leave mine on cable select.
;D

Are you sure? All the documentation says Master...

http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_how-to-install.htm
"Configure the jumper setting on the hard disk drive so it is set to MASTER. To find the correct jumper settings for your hard disk drive, either check the label on top of the hard disk drive or consult your reference manual. "

that would be great if that's what the problem is... I guess I'll try Slave on all of them this evening and see what happens.

Brofist

I have a Maxtor 120 GB HD, in a V9 US model PS2. It works fine with HDAdvance 2.0, no freezing at all, games work fine. And it's set to master btw.

8bit

Knows the Score
It should be set to master, not slave. There isn't another device on the bus.

Are you using an official NA, or one of the others? I ask because I don't understand the 2C/3B naming.

DarienA said:
And then do what?

Did you try doing that? I don't know about HDAdvance 2.0 or what PS2 configuration you are using, but I know that on modded PS2s, you have to eject the disc after the splash screen if you are using a cracked version of the software... I'm not suggesting that you are, I was just trying to help, thought the same trick might work for you.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
My advice.

Put HDLoader, HDAdvance and all the other variations on the memory card and run it off that. See what happens. I hate HDAdvance personally. I use HDLoader Lite.

Also, on a lot of my HDs, Master can bet set with or without a jumper. Try removing the jumper.

Also, what's a 2C/3B NA? Never heard of it. You need the official NA IIRC.

Miburou

It shouldn't be set to either master or slave. Take out the jumper completely and it should work fine. The Hloader manual mentions that you have to have the jumper in the master position, and when I did that, it hung on me, too. So I took it out and everything now works fine.

Brofist

Mine is actually set in the master position and it works fine, but whatever works I guess :p

Interesting also is that my HDAdvance CD disc loads DVDs no problem, I'm almost wondering why the 2 discs.

DarienA

Just for clarification everything is official, official US Sony NA, full purchased copy of HDDAdvance. If you look on your US official Sony NA you'll see the ID # and if you look around and you'll also see something called "date code" that looks to be the revision of the unit.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I won't be able to try them til this evening but wanted to get the ball rolling early. So I'll try ejecting the disc at the splash screen, I'll also try playing around with the jumper setting.

I'll post results this evening, thanks again.

Brofist

DarienA said:
Just for clarification everything is official, official US Sony NA, full purchased copy of HDDAdvance. If you look on your US official Sony NA you'll see the ID # and if you look around and you'll also see something called "date code" that looks to be the revision of the unit.

Maybe it's the PS2 then? I'm using all official stuff also, and purchased copy of HDAdvance. I never had to do anything fancy to get it to run, just pop in the disc.

DarienA

kpop100 said:
Maybe it's the PS2 then? I'm using all official stuff also, and purchased copy of HDAdvance. I never had to do anything fancy to get it to run, just pop in the disc.

I'm hoping it's NOT the PS2... but so far all signs point to it....... I hate the thought of having to go through the hassle of trading in my PS2 to pick up another used or new one...

Miburou

It's just the jumper. From reading the replies and the manual, it seems that it's different depending on the hardrive (master, slave, cable select, no jumper).

Just mess around with the jumper and I'm sure it'll work.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but rather than sifting through the other HDLoader/Advance thread or creating a new entire thread, I figured I'd might as well ask here: Has anyone experienced (or know of) any problems with the Seagate HDD's (specifically, the Seagate Barracuda 200Gb 7200 8Mb cache) other than the issues relating to older PS2 network adaptors? My HDAdvance v2.0 is on the way, and I can pick up that particular Seagate HDD for rather cheap and am thinking of getting it tomorrow. I know most recommend the Maxtor drives, but my nearest comp shops don't stock 100+GB Maxtor drives and the shops that do (on the other side of town) sell them a good AU$25-50 more than the Seagate I'm thinking of getting.

Cheers in advance.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
tracky_dacks said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but rather than sifting through the other HDLoader/Advance thread or creating a new entire thread, I figured I'd might as well ask here: Has anyone experienced (or know of) any problems with the Seagate HDD's (specifically, the Seagate Barracuda 200Gb 7200 8Mb cache) other than the issues relating to older PS2 network adaptors? My HDAdvance v2.0 is on the way, and I can pick up that particular Seagate HDD for rather cheap and am thinking of getting it tomorrow. I know most recommend the Maxtor drives, but my nearest comp shops don't stock 100+GB Maxtor drives and the shops that do (on the other side of town) sell them a good AU$25-50 more than the Seagate I'm thinking of getting.

Cheers in advance.

Isn't there a limit on hard drive size? I may have completely imagined this...

DarienA

Minotauro said:
Isn't there a limit on hard drive size? I may have completely imagined this...

Advance 2.0's max is 200GB. I think the original software packages maxed out at 120GB. From what I've read though apparently you can actually USE a larger drive you just won't see the whole drive... why someone would want to do that though I have no idea....

Fowler

DaCocoBrova said:
My advice.

Put HDLoader, HDAdvance and all the other variations on the memory card and run it off that. See what happens. I hate HDAdvance personally. I use HDLoader Lite.

Also, on a lot of my HDs, Master can bet set with or without a jumper. Try removing the jumper.

Also, what's a 2C/3B NA? Never heard of it. You need the official NA IIRC.

Say what now? You can load them off a memory card? And what's HD Loader Lite?

DarienA

adelgary said:
Advance 2.0 only supports up to 200GB? Talk about lame, you can patch HDLoader to support HDDs up to some ridiculous size (in terabytes I think)... Anyway, for the person who was asking about a particular Seagate HDD, check here http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

I'm assuming that list is only for HDloader and not for HDadvance? Because according to it when I looked last night I shouldn't be having any problems... grrr come on 4:00 hurry up and get here!

DarienA said:
I'm assuming that list is only for HDloader and not for HDadvance? Because according to it when I looked last night I shouldn't be having any problems... grrr come on 4:00 hurry up and get here!

As far as I know, HDAdvance is HDLoader with a different skin, the core code is 100% identical... I don't know much about version 2.0, but I assume they just applied some of the patches made for HDLoader by random people and release it as 2.0, so the compatibility list should apply for both.

DaCocoBrova

When I boot up my PS2, I get a choice to use either HDAdvance ro HDLoader. The few times I have used HDAdvance, I noticed it took a lot longer for my list of games to appear. I also don't like how they renamed the buttons.

Question:

Who here knows how to use the GUI version of HDL-Edit?

HDLEdit1.jpg

I have some basic questions. I want to completely modify my hdloader.elf but I can't figure out:

Where it looks for/stores saved/created .ELF files. It'll tell me the file is created but I can't find it.

How to browse for .bmp files.

DaCocoBrova

You just need a few things.

The hard part is getting the files on the memory card. I have never seen or used a modded PS2, but IIRC, if you know someone with one, they can easily put the files on the card for you. If not, then you can get Action Replay Max, and any usb storage device.

Delete the SystemConfiguration save that's on your PS2 and replace it with the AR Exploit Save.

Just google 'AR Exploit" for further instruction

Vark

When you load crap from the memory card don't you still need a PSOne game in the drive anyway? Making it slightly pointless and not any less of a hassle than booting from the HDLoader cd anyway?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Speaking of which, I'm selling my HDLoader disc if anyone is interested. I'll take into consideration any reasonable offer. It's been used maybe for a day or two, so it's pretty much in new condition.

As for why I'm selling it, I'm getting a new model PStwo so I have no need for the hard drive anymore, as my main worries (playing imports and tray/laser malfunctions) seem to be resolved with the new unit. Also, I can move that hard drive over to xbox when I get it modded. :D

DarienA

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, both through this thread and PM's.... the resolution is... I purchased another PS2.

When I fired up the new PS2 with the HD and NA connected I immediately heard the HD spool up. I NEVER heard the HD spool up on my old PS2. Right now I'm load San Andreas on to my 260(though HDAdvance reads it as 230)GB HD.

What will I do with the old PS2? I haven't decided yet... I may trade it in... but right now I'm leaning towards just putting it on another TV here in the house. Since the guest room became the baby room our gaming room now doubles as a guest room so whenever we have guests we let out the daybed in to it's King Size position and I lose my ability to game for the weekend they are here(no I'm not moving consoles...too much of a pain in the ass), this way I can stick the PS2 on another TV and use it when we have company.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

EDIT:

Whoops almost forgot... how do I know if a game is DVD-9... which IIRC doesn't work when loaded on the HD?

Miburou

You can tell if a game is on a DVD9 disc by sticking it into your PC drive. And they do work if you install them from your PC (at least Sakura Taisen works).

I think there's only a handful of DVD9 games on PS2, so it should be hard to find a list of them, that way you'll know :p

Also, you can "flaten" an ISO of a DVD9 game to make it work with HDLoader, I think specific tools are needed for each title, I know there are tutorial packages out there for MGS2 Substance and Champions of Norrath, both DVD9 games.

Oh and I think the latest Ratchet and Clank is DVD9 too, not positive on this though.

DarienA

Miburou said:
You can tell if a game is on a DVD9 disc by sticking it into your PC drive. And they do work if you install them from your PC (at least Sakura Taisen works).

Can you PM some instructions on exactly how to do that? Or send me a link? or post them here? Very much appreciated, thanks. Played San Andreas for the HD last night... whip fast load times... except for that initial load which has been dicussed in another thread and seems to be some type of default forced load time.... so that flashing light I use to see come on briefly when I first bought my Network Adapter now doubles as a HD activity light... cool.

Fowler

DaCocoBrova said:
Yeah. But one cost money, the other is free.

Oh... I have the HD Loader disc already so it's pointless. I just thought it'd skip the whole disc loading thing :p

DaCocoBrova

Installing games at the PC is way faster and less prone to errors. Just get a USB enclosure.

I use WinHIIP.

Makes it simple.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
When you load crap from the memory card don't you still need a PSOne game in the drive anyway? Making it slightly pointless and not any less of a hassle than booting from the HDLoader cd anyway?
It loads 10-20 seconds faster, and you can patch it to support larger hard drives, fix incompatibility with some games, or customize it changing the backgrounds.

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:
Installing games at the PC is way faster and less prone to errors. Just get a USB enclosure.

I use WinHIIP.

Makes it simple.

Coco you mean if I have a drive with games on it already, I can take it out of the PS2, pop it in the USB enclosure and use Winhiip to copy one of my other games through the DVD-Rom drive on my PC directly to the same HD without screwing up the PS2 formatted HD and the other games already on it?

8bit

Knows the Score
DarienA said:
Coco you mean if I have a drive with games on it already, I can take it out of the PS2, pop it in the USB enclosure and use Winhiip to copy one of my other games through the DVD-Rom drive on my PC directly to the same HD without screwing up the PS2 formatted HD and the other games already on it?

I think you need to rip your DVD to an ISO first, but otherwise you should be good to go.

Miburou

8bit said:
I think you need to rip your DVD to an ISO first, but otherwise you should be good to go.

Nope, you don't. WinHIIP gives you the option of choosing an image file or a CD/DVD.

8bit said:

That's not necessary, newer versions of WinHIIP can install games from DVD/CD drives. But I think I read that it's better/safer to install all your games using the same method, and since you started installing games with HDAdvance, it might be better to stick to it, unless you don't mind formatting and reinstalling all your games on the PC again.

If you use WinHIIP, make sure you turn the option for 48-bit LBA (support for larger HDDs) to on in the options since you are using HDAdvance 2.0

Miburou

I formatted my drive using WinHIIP and installed a dozen or so games, then used HDLoader to install another 4 or 5, went back to WinHIIP to install an import, and then again to HDLoader to install 1 or 2 more games. Never had any problems, but I've never formatted my HDD with HDLoader.

DarienA

adelgary said:
That's not necessary, newer versions of WinHIIP can install games from DVD/CD drives. But I think I read that it's better/safer to install all your games using the same method, and since you started installing games with HDAdvance, it might be better to stick to it, unless you don't mind formatting and reinstalling all your games on the PC again.

If you use WinHIIP, make sure you turn the option for 48-bit LBA (support for larger HDDs) to on in the options since you are using HDAdvance 2.0

I'll test this on one my smaller drives tonight, I'll install a game using HDAdvance, then try to use WinHIIP to install Xenosaga which if from what I've read is a DVD-9 game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DarienA said:
I'll test this on one my smaller drives tonight, I'll install a game using HDAdvance, then try to use WinHIIP to install Xenosaga which if from what I've read is a DVD-9 game.

Yes, it is
In addition so is Champions of Norrath (although most dvd readers can't read both layers) and MGS2: Substance. I think there are a couple others but thats the one's I know of.

DarienA

Suikoguy said:
Yes, it is
In addition so is Champions of Norrath (although most dvd readers can't read both layers) and MGS2: Substance. I think there are a couple others but thats the one's I know of.

I have Xeno and Substance so I'll give those a shot tonight and see what happens....

Miburou

If you're just trying to see whether a HDD formatted with HDA will work with WinHIIP, why not use a proven game with WinHIIP? I think I heard that Substance has problems with HDL/HDA.

BTW, you can copy games back from the HDD to your PC, so you could backup your PS2 HDD. Also, using WinHIIP is way, way faster than HDA. It takea only a couple of minutes using WinHIIP compared to 10 minutes or more using HDL/HDA (depending on the game, naturally).

Brofist

Actually I'll toss this question in here instead of making a new topic. Is it possible to ghost the contents of a PS2 hd on to another? I'm thinking of getting a new 200 GB hd, don't want to reinstall every game.

Top Bottom