• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDadvance 2.0 Blues

Miburou

kpop100 said:
Actually I'll toss this question in here instead of making a new topic. Is it possible to ghost the contents of a PS2 hd on to another? I'm thinking of getting a new 200 GB hd, don't want to reinstall every game.

There's an option called Copy Drive in WinHIIP (in addition to Extract Image, which copies one game to the PC), so I imagine that's what it's used for.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Miburou said:
There's an option called Copy Drive in WinHIIP (in addition to Extract Image, which copies one game to the PC), so I imagine that's what it's used for.

Did the author of WinHiip ever create any instructions to go along with the thing?

Miburou

LOL, I just looked and yeah, a short readme file is included. First time I've ever looked at it.

And kpop, it does confirm that you can copy an entire HDD.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
CAUTION

BTW, you can copy games back from the HDD to your PC, so you could backup your PS2 HDD. Also, using WinHIIP is way, way faster than HDA. It takea only a couple of minutes using WinHIIP compared to 10 minutes or more using HDL/HDA (depending on the game, naturally).

Last week, I took my PS2 HDD out, hooked it up to my PC via a USB2 enclosure. I tried copying GTA:SA to my 200GB partition via WinHIIP, saw how long it would take and cancelled the copy.

End result: A 200GB paper weight. Windows no longer recognized the drive or the data on it. I had to pay 40 bucks last night for file recovery software just to get it back.

Be careful.

Brofist

Miburou said:
LOL, I just looked and yeah, a short readme file is included. First time I've ever looked at it.

And kpop, it does confirm that you can copy an entire HDD.

thx

DaCocoBrova said:
CAUTIONLast week, I took my PS2 HDD out, hooked it up to my PC via a USB2 enclosure. I tried copying GTA:SA to my 200GB partition via WinHIIP, saw how long it would take and cancelled the copy.

How long was it going to take?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It wasn't so much the time as it was the reported size of the data. Something like 30GB or something when the game is only 4GB.

I was like 'WTF?!' and hit cancel.

It wasn't til later that evening that I realized the drive was corrupted.

After that, I got another drive (60GB) that already had a few PS2 games on it, and put that in a USB enclosure and went from HDD to HDD to copy GTA:SA.

I got an error a couple minutes in. Putting the 60GB drive back in the PS2 resulted in the 'No Games are Currently Installed' message. I then ripped Sly Cooper to the drive. Everything was going fine. Once it was done, I got the same 'No Games are Currently Installed' message.

Basically, I need to reformat it and start all over.

That's the extent of my WinHIIP horror stories. Great software otherwise, but there are bugs clearly. Dangerous ones at that.

tenchir

End result: A 200GB paper weight. Windows no longer recognized the drive or the data on it. I had to pay 40 bucks last night for file recovery software just to get it back.

Huh? I had the same problem and all I had to do is go into Adiministrative Tool>Computer Management>Disk Management, select that drive and enabled it to be recognized again(to get it to show up). You just wasted 40 buck.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Somebody either via PM or this thread(and now I can't find it) posted a link to a webpage that showed a list of compatible titles with the HDLoader/HDadvance and for different games it told you whether to enable mode 1, or 2, etc... it was a webpage with either a dark blue or black background I think... I can't find the link... can anybody help?

Top Bottom