• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone announces Heroic Tavern Brawl, $9.99/1000 gold pseudo-tourny mode(1 week)

Edit: full rewards chart at bottom of OP.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20324471/introducing-heroic-tavern-brawl-10-17-2016

Heroic Brawl will challenge even Hearthstone’s most experienced players as they vie for glory and in-game rewards! Participants will create a Standard deck from their existing card pool and lock it in before their first Heroic Brawl match. No changes can be made to your Heroic Brawl deck once you’ve locked it in, so be sure to do a bit of testing before you finalize your deck.

Once you’ve locked in your Standard deck for Heroic Brawl, you’ll be pitted against other Heroic Brawlers in heated battle. Just like the Arena, you want to shoot for 12 wins to get the best rewards—but if you get three losses, you’re out!

It's basically a hybrid of the current Arena format and a proper tournament mode. Also from the player's perspective, it is identical to a "Swiss" format tournament (although with only 1 deck), which many organizations use for preliminary rounds, including all Dreamhack events.

12 wins gets you 50 packs, 3 Golden Legendaries, and around 1000 dust and gold. Probably $150+ worth of value if you were to buy direct from the shop.

0 wins awards only a single pack, though.(Source)

This is the first big content/platform update for HS aimed exclusively at the established, hardcore community so I thought it was worth a separate thread.

Interesting to note, this is a temporary event(and is replacing the normal Tavern Brawl for the week it is running) - while they could always bring it back and/or make it a permanent feature, perhaps Blizzard isn't confident this will be very popular or successful? Hmm....

Doomhammer double rockbiter me if old.

Edit:
KRsdNzk.jpg

Cels

i don't really have an interest in this mode, not willing to pay the entry fee and i'm not that great of a constructed player

what really sucks for me is that we'll be missing out on the free tavern brawl pack that week

Natiko

Banned
I do have a huge stockpile of gold, but until we know specifically what the break even point is for rewards I'm going to pass.

Nibiru

Banned
Every deck is Shaman GG!

This.

Streamers will experiment but for the average players who buys in the most effective deck by a large margin is midrange shaman. There are counters but those decks lose to everything else. Decks are locked in so can't tech for anything midway through.

Draft

I like it, but an ACTUAL tournament mode I would like more!

edit: Will the Tavern Brawl for the week affect the games or is it just Standard rules?

Onaco

Pass. Tavern Brawl is for fun gimmicks, not tournaments. Should have replaced Arena for the week instead.

ultron87

I feel like for this to be successful there needs to be the achievable dream of "going infinite" on it, where one good run gets you enough gold to immediately enter your next run, and some more. If it takes 12 wins to do that, that doesn't sound that achievable to the average player.

Also there's the weird thing where the rewards are mostly packs, but if you're doing really well in a Constructed tournament you probably don't need the packs.

Dreavus

I was about to say the name Brawl will just confuse people, but since it's taking over tavern brawl I guess that makes sense.

For people who can pull out the top wins the "payout" is crazy good, although unlike arena it looks like it's mostly packs so it'll be much harder to "go infinite".

Hubb

I like it, but an ACTUAL tournament mode I would like more!

edit: Will the Tavern Brawl for the week affect the games or is it just Standard rules?

Sounds like standard rules. The only relationship this has with Tavern Brawl is that this is replacing whatever the Tavern Brawl would be for that week.

Pass. Tavern Brawl is for fun gimmicks, not tournaments. Should have replaced Arena for the week instead.

Yeah but I actually do Arena runs, I won't be doing this one. They probably don't want people like me to not spend gold on regular runs during this week.

Natiko

Banned
Is there one? I'm not sure 11 or fewer wins gets anything. Hope I'm wrong.
Well zero wins results in one pack. I would assume the rewards ramp up to that ultimate one. The only question is at what rate do the rewards improve? I would guess it won't be as kind as arena.

If arena is any indication, win #7 should be the threshold that ends up guaranteeing at least $10/1000 gold worth of rewards.

10 packs for 7 wins seems a bit low, actually.

bjaelke

If arena is any indication, win #7 should be the threshold that ends up guaranteeing at least $10/1000 gold worth of rewards.

10 packs for 7 wins seems a bit low, actually.

You break even way earlier. 1 pack is 100g so you only need 50g on the side to get your investment back. You can even receive 2 packs from 3 wins onwards, but in general 4 wins will see you come out on top (unless you disregard the pack).

Peléo

When they said price was going to be a bit higher, I expected something around 300g.

No way I will be able to play it. Hopefully it turns out sucessful and they implement more tournament-esque options,

Ombala

So they replace they one thing where you get a free pack (basicly) with something that cost 1000g or money.
Thanks alot Blizz

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So they replace they one thing where you get a free pack (basicly) with something that cost 1000g or money.
Thanks alot Blizz

It's just for a week.

Call me cynical but I think this is Blizaard's new way to sink player's gold before the next expansion, which will be announced soon at blizzcon.

First of all the timing is just not a coincidence.

Secondly current meta is too imbalanced for actual good players to achieve consecutive wins. If everyone plays mid-range Shaman in this format then eveyone will have roughly 3 wins. In actual tournament you have 3 decks to play bo5 instead of this 1 deck match up.

The house always wins.

This is straight up gambling to entice whales to spend a fuck ton on the game. Fuck you blizzard, this is horseshit.
lmao, what? I have 6k gold and have been dying to spend it on something worthwhile. This is literally not gambling since you're going to be playing the games. The potential windfall is massive if you can get a bunch of wins and you'd come out far, far ahead if you're good at the game.

I like that Hearthstone is trying new things as the game has gotten extremely dull for me over the last month or so.

So many people's knee jerk reaction to revolt against anything that has a dollar amount attached to it has gotten beyond old.

I'll do at least one but at the very least it's going to be a really fun week of Twitch streams.

wiibomb

I don't think this is as new and fresh as some people are making it to be.

Sure it is a new mode, basically, but this is more like a mixed up constructed ranked play + arena. the only new thing here is the huge price and the supposed new huge rewards (I say supposed since we only know the 12 win rewards)

I like they are trying this, despite me not having enough to play it, but this isn't as new and fresh.

This is a hyper pressure chamber of the ladder's meta.

The very, very skilled will create a deck where more often than not it will be the average joe playing "lul shaman always wins" deck and maintain an above average win rate.

Then again people still think this game is too RNG despite evidence.

Hari Seldon

Don't play it?

I like Blizzard is still trying new, fresh things.

Most people won't. This is straight up gambling tactics aimed at the most addicted percentage of players. The exact sort of hat gambling horseshit that valve recently banned. The government needs to step in and regulate this gambling aimed at children. I don't like this shit in regular iOS freemium apps and I'm not going to give blizzard a pass on this psychological manipulation of children with not fully developed addictive personalities.

How is this any different than the arena mode that is already in the game?

Cost. Arena is about 3 quest completions to get a run. 1000g would take a regular player about 2-2.5 weeks of playtime for 1 run.

Firebrand

edit: oh, you make your own deck.

I'll pass on this as I'm not really good at the game, but I'll watch better players stream it.

Most people won't. This is straight up gambling tactics aimed at the most addicted percentage of players. The exact sort of hat gambling horseshit that valve recently banned. The government needs to step in and regulate this gambling aimed at children. I don't like this shit in regular iOS freemium apps and I'm not going to give blizzard a pass on this psychological manipulation of children with not fully developed addictive personalities.

It's very clearly just an attempt and a first pass at creating a tournament formula within the game.

it's just regular constructed with less deck variety. it's not going to fix anything fundamentally wrong with the game

but if i was still playing hearthstone, i would play this mode primarily since i win a lot

Top Bottom