• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone has best quarter ever, Overwatch 50/50 East/West, CoD/WoW micros way up

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From Activision Blizzard's financial results:http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=997579

Hearthstone:
Blizzard's Hearthstone®: Heroes of Warcraft™ had record quarterly MAUsA, which grew a double-digit percentage year-over-year.

On August 11th, 2016, Blizzard launched One Night in Karazhan™, a new Adventure for Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, which performed even better than its predecessor.

Overwatch:
Overwatch became Blizzard's fastest game ever to reach over 20 million players globally, with a roughly even player base split between east and west. Overwatch also held the number one position in share of play time in Korean Internet Game Rooms from launch all the way through the third-quarter.

Summer Games content for Blizzard's Overwatch drove record engagement and participation in in-game customization items.

On October 11, 2016, Blizzard launched its Halloween Terror event for Overwatch. The event included Overwatch's first-ever player versus environment game mode and a variety of new Halloween-themed customization items. The event drove even higher engagement and participation than the Summer Games event.

Call of Duty:
Activision continues to have four of the top ten games on current-generation consoles life-to-date, including Call of Duty®: Black Ops III at No. 1. The Call of Duty franchise reached record third quarter MAUsA.

From September 2 through 4, 2016, Activision hosted Call of Duty XP, its largest fan event ever which included the culmination of the Call of Duty World League Championship, presented by PlayStation® 4. More than 1,000 teams participated in the Call of Duty World League during the 2016 season, which recorded 121 million views.

Activision's Call of Duty continues to deliver record performance. The number of in-game content purchasers in Call of Duty more than doubled year-to-date and, along with robust participation in Season Pass and a-la-carte map packs, drove an increase in average revenue per user as well.

World of Warcraft:
On August 30, 2016, Blizzard launched World of Warcraft: Legion, which sold-through 3.3 million copies on day one, matching all-time records achieved by previous expansions, and ranking amongst the fastest-selling PC games ever. The new expansion grew franchise MAUsA by nearly 30% quarter-over-quarter.

Blizzard's World of Warcraft: Legion expansion drove record monthly participation in value-added services.

Blizzard:

Blizzard had the biggest quarterly online player community in its history, with 42 million MAUsA, up 25% quarter-over-quarter and 50% year-over-year.

Activision:

Activision had the biggest third quarter online player community in its history with 46 million MAUsA. Over the last two years, Activision has grown its MAUsA by 18%.

geordiemp

Those Bo3 cod points and you tubers spending $ 2000 bucks to get those guns.

We will never forget, good luck Infinity ward

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that Blizzard is the more valuable of the two from the looks of it.

They deserve it.

Activision is basically down to two products at this point and Destiny only shipped a DLC pack, so...

King's performance was pretty good overall, but their MAU count was down 3%, so I left them out of this thread.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How is that even possible? Please elaborate...
The tone, the writing, the art, the music, the theme in general. It was just a ton of fun.

I'm coming at it from a mostly casual perspective. I have no opinion to offer when it comes to how the new cards changed the meta.

benzopil

Why can't they tell how popular Overwatch is on console compared to PC? Is it 5% and 95% or 30% and 70%? That would be pretty cool statistics.

patapuf

Overwatch being 50/50 East/West seems pretty unique. Blizzard seems to be one of the fewdevs who are hugely sucessfull in Asia and NA/EU with the same games.

What that's the best expansion card wise.

It's also the best in terms of the actual battles imo, but YMMV obviously.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The tone, the writing, the art, the music, the theme in general. It was just a ton of fun.

I'm coming at it from a mostly casual perspective. I have no opinion to offer when it comes to how the new cards changed the meta.

Ah, gotcha! That makes a lot of sense now :)

It had a fun theme, but the heroic mode was really easy and the effect it had on the meta was negligible.

Well it added stupid crap like portals,Arcane giant,Fiery win Claws to name a few. 1 thing it didn't do was improve the meta it just made it worse, with Shaman being the uncontested tier 1.

clav

By far my least favorite adventure is League of Explorers. Hate that adventure, ugh

BRM. The only good wing was the first one.

The later wing added a broken Mage card that's still played to this day.

So skilled. Pew pew.

Karazhan added zero new mechanics. Just more buffing spells from portals compared to Discover or Inspire.

Cels

No. It's the worst adventure yet.

i think with a bit of balancing it could have been the best expansion. most of my problems with it are the poor difficulty and the cards on offer.

pros
-the whole premise of pre-troubles medivh hosting a party is fun and lighthearted
-fun and cool events that were faithful to the dungeon from WoW, which happens to be my favorite raid ever
-interesting gameplay mechanics like chess
-the flavor is really nice, for example in the prologue you get a taste of how powerful of a sorcerer medivh really is

cons
-by far the easiest heroics, for half of them i did not even need to modify my ladder deck at all
-in a game full of RNG, let's add barnes, at worst a 3/4 and a 1/1, but sometimes a 3/4 and a 1/1 rag, sylvanas, or malygos
-wasting a card slot on a vanilla 2 mana 3/2 taunt
-purify, a card so bad they removed it from priest's arena pool
-exacerbated arena balance, giving mage, one of the best arena classes, a great common in firelands portal. meanwhile babbling book is a rare
-let's add a 0 mana 8/8 giant even though we nerfed molten giant into oblivion
-let's nerf blade flurry to open up the rogue design space, here you go, a 3 mana 3/2 fork, a weapon that was far too powerful with the pre-nerf blade flurry
-spirit war axe, a card where matchups can be decided on whether the shaman gets wrath of air totem or not

Heigic

Hearthstone defiantly isn't going in the direction I would like if this awful expansion results in the best quarter ever. At least I'm having fun with Shadowverse instead.

But what is impressive is that Battle.net is almost as big as Xbox Live

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Very well deserved, love Hearthstone (Though not a fan of the direction the game took since GvG) and Overwatch.

Syf

Banned
Legion equaling the sales of the highest previous expansions is damn impressive. Twelve years old and still cruising. Well deserved too; it's a great chapter so far. I didn't expect Blizzard to be able to maintain the revenue of last quarter with how huge the Overwatch launch was, but there it is.

Top Bottom