• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone's new Tavern Brawl mode announced (weekly rotating special mode)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard said:
Brace Yourself for Tavern Brawl
Daxxarri 6/10/2015 31

There’s a rumbling behind the doors of the Tavern. Hearthstone’s latest patch is coming soon and it introduces some big changes and features, so let’s throw open the doors and find out what’s next on tap!

Introducing Tavern Brawl!

Tavern Brawl is a new way to play Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft!

Each week, a different Tavern Brawl will pit you head to head versus another player using exciting and unique rules. One week might feature preset decks, while another week could have you crafting a brand new Tavern Brawl deck following specific guidelines, while others might offer buffs to specific minion types—who knows!

Tavern Brawl can be found below the Play, Solo Adventures, and the Arena buttons on the main Hearthstone screen. You may have to toughen up before entering the fray—Tavern Brawl is unlocked once a player has a level 20 Hero.

The possibilities for fun inside Tavern Brawl are endless— the only thing you should expect is the unexpected!

Brawl with Buddies

While it’s fun to get into Tavern Brawls with strangers, it’s also a blast to brawl with your buddies! To start a Tavern Brawl with a friend, enter the Tavern Brawl menu, open your Friends List, and push the ‘Challenge’ button next to your friend’s name. After they accept, press the Brawl Friend button and let the battle begin!

GET IN HERE

The first playable Tavern Brawl arrives in Mid-June, so get ready to pile on and knock some heads together. Brawls get plenty rowdy, so the Innkeeper will definitely need a couple of days after each one ends to get the inn all tidied up before the next brawl begins. That means Tavern Brawls are temporarily closed while the Innkeeper cleans up before a new, different brawl starts—so be sure to get a match or two in while you can! Stay up to date on when the next Tavern Brawl begins by keeping an eye on the official Hearthstone Twitter and Facebook.

Brawls will have free admission when the new mode becomes available. As part of the launch celebration, you'll earn a free card pack when you win your first game of the week in the first several brawls!
Source: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19508176/brace-yourself-for-tavern-brawl-6-10-2015

Also there are two more hero portraits who appear to be a Windrunner and Medivh wearing cat ears:

5GBET5XDUWIV1433788059858.png

OSH8JXDMLYCW1433788059858.png

bigkrev

It's been a long time since I started, but how long would it take someone to hit level 20 if they weren't spending money?

JustinBB7

Expected something better/more fun, but this sounds kind of disappointing. Will have to see how fun the actual modes are every time I suppose. Might be fun in the end. All this new stuff to pick skins/cardbacks but still no extra deck slots..

Anno

This is just the kind of content I wanted. If they get as crazy as some of the PvE matches I'll be very pleased, especially since it's free.

Majine

Banned
Sounds fun. Glad they are expanding on different game modes, and not just releasing expansions and adventures.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is one of the best things they could've implemented.

tariniel

Sounds really exciting. They pretty much listened to Kripp's ideas / challengestone here, and it's amazing. They should consider hiring him as a designer or consult or something...

Parshias7

Hopefully this becomes a nice alternative to Casual mode for finishing daily quests. It sucked having to take your half-competent Shaman deck into Casual against real decks just to close out a daily.

mxgt

Banned
This sounds really good. Will be nice to get some fresh player vs player content because at this point I'm sick of the same decks in constructed and mages in arena.

mindsale

Sylvanas, hm? I she going to be the new Huntress heroine? I was kind of hoping Tyrande Whisperwind would fill that role. I like Sylvanas a lot, I just don't care much for the Hunter class. Still, amazing character, that's a must-buy $10 upgrade from Rex.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sounds really exciting. They pretty much listened to Kripp's ideas / challengestone here, and it's amazing. They should consider hiring him as a designer or consult or something...
Well... this probably has been in the works for like 6 months so i dont think its a direct response to Challengestone.
But yeah Kripp is cool people.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sylvanas, hm? I she going to be the new Huntress heroine? I was kind of hoping Tyrande Whisperwind would fill that role. I like Sylvanas a lot, I just don't care much for the Hunter class. Still, amazing character, that's a must-buy $10 upgrade from Rex.

I imagine Tyrande will be a Priest given she's a Priestess.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Here's to hoping this mode is as interesting as arena. The reward structure for everything really needs a shakeup as well.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It's been a long time since I started, but how long would it take someone to hit level 20 if they weren't spending money?
Like 4 days?

Sounds better than the Arena. I'm in.

Jumplion

One of these days we'll get a free-for all mode. 15/30 second turn timers to keep it flowing, four players at once, have at it. Would be a mess, but would be great with friends.

Miletius

Is it always going to be free or just free for now? Goddamn that cryptic wording

It is ambiguous, actually. I'd expect it to remain free if they don't offer rewards, and expect it to be paid if they add arena style rewards. So just based on guesswork I'd say free, this doesn't really seem like a mode where you can play for rewards arena style.

Top Bottom