• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellboy DVD News

Status
Not open for further replies.
From thedigitalbits:

Morning folks. I wanted to jump in early with a bit of interesting news from director Guillermo del Toro about the forthcoming DVD release(s) of the forthcoming Hellboy. In an interview over at Countingdown.com, del Toro reveals that the film will be released as a movie-only edition in August, and then as a fully-loaded 2 or 3-disc special edition in December. The SE will also include a longer version of the film, as well as "a special box with a bust of Hellboy with the gun." Nice. Here's to hoping the flick rocks. Cudos to Bits reader Imran H. for the spot and link.

From the countingdown.com interview mentioned:

CD: How long is the current cut of the movie?

GDT: 1 hour, 50 minutes.

CD: Is it gonna stay that length, you think?

GDT: It will stay that length until the DVD, yeah.

CD: Did a lot of footage get cut?

GDT: We cut 45 minutes of the movie. I think that the final cut on the DVD will probably be 2 hours and 10 minutes. We're including a lot of scenes that are more permissible to put back after the movie's release, because if someone is buying the special edition, they want to see more. As opposed to trying to be prudent...I think that an action-adventure movie shouldn't be longer than two hours, but that's my opinion.

So as with the LOTR Spec. Ed., hold off until December for the longer version if that's the one you want.

COCKLES

being watched
Lol the movie will be out on DVD before it's even hit cinemas in UK and Europe.

And they complain about piracy...

Milhouse31 said:
Xvid Dvd-Rip is already out

pirate.gif

Sure, but the pirated movie isn't the extended cut that's 20-30 minutes longer, and it doesn't come with a Hellboy bust with the gun.

Flynn

COCKLES said:

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I was under the assumption that studios were release most of the major films pretty much simultaneously now.

This kinda crap is total horseshit.

Flynn said:

I was under the assumption that studios were release most of the major films pretty much simultaneously now.

I agree. We have to sit through previews at the movies telling us how movie piracy is bad and putting working Joes out of buisness, and yet they're practically promoting piracy with the long waits for releases.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Flynn said:

MAJOR ? Since when ?

Alucard

Banned
I still need to see this movie.

But yeah, I always laugh at the anti-piracy ads in theatres. A few times I've called out "stop charging $13 to see a movie!"

Trevelyon

Lil' Dice said:
Will the se- DVD make the movie more likeable?

48774753.gif

COCKLES said:

Actually the international release maybe getting the longer extended cut, the cut most likely to show up on the R1 3 disc set in November, so at least we got something out of it. :/

Ha, this cover is awesome:

hbdclrg.jpg

http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4408&mode=flat&order=0&thold=0

Judging by the artwork, and from snippets that we've heard (which probably isn't ideal grounds for theory), this set looks as if it will be a single DVD, with just the Director's Cut and miniscule extra features. The 2-disc HellBoy Special Edition, that we recently managed to get our mits on, is chock-a-block full of extra features; so this new DC looks as if it will just be an accompanyment to the SE and not the rumoured 3-disc set.

Trevelyon

So........................

hbr1lrg.jpg

SE on the 27th

DC in August & DC Gift set released along side it.

OK

Then the 3 disc set has been scrapped, yes?

Christ on a bike! then you've got a SE Devil's Backbone due on the 27th also. That's a whole lot of GDT lovin' right there.

Flynn

heavy liquid said:
I agree. We have to sit through previews at the movies telling us how movie piracy is bad and putting working Joes out of buisness, and yet they're practically promoting piracy with the long waits for releases.

I get so pissed at Hollywood sometimes. It's their friggin' job to put movies out and they can't even manage that. Then, when we get tired of waiting for their slow-assed theatrical release of Zatoichi or Hellboy or Hero or Shaolin Soccer or whatever, they complain that ticket sales were poor and that there was no demand for the movie.

Thing is, demand was so high, that we all payed $30-50 bucks and hacked our DVD players so we could see the stupid movie they made or acquired.

I love to start my own geek-centric studio. I'd make a mint by making deals for same season releases of big Asian genre flicks.

Kon Tiki

Banned
heavy liquid said:
Sure, but the pirated movie isn't the extended cut that's 20-30 minutes longer, and it doesn't come with a Hellboy bust with the gun.

From the nfo.

RUNTiME....: 122 min

Looks like it does have it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Trevelyon said:
The run time is in line with the US theatrical release. It's not extended.

I dunno, never seen the movie.
:p
Just going by this:
CD: How long is the current cut of the movie?

GDT: 1 hour, 50 minutes ... the final cut on the DVD will probably be 2 hours and 10 minutes.

UPDATE

Guillermo del Toro has posted some info on the Hellboy Message Boards regarding the upcoming DVD releases.

There WILL be a 3 disc set, and the Directors Cut will be 15 minutes longer. The Special Edition picture above is the 2 disc set coming out on 7/27, and does not contain the DC. So unless you can't wait or really want the Theatrical Cut, you should wait until November for the 3 disc set.

DVD (Director's cut): Comes out in November (3 discs) all the same extras (minus commntary track original) but with an extra disc full of features. The special box edition will have a SIDESHOW HELLBOY mini-bust. This disc has my preferred cut (15 extra mnutes but they go a loong way in terms of story and character) and a new commentary track that I feel very happy with.

So the 3 disc set will be:

Disc 1: DC with new commmentary
Disc 2: Same extras as 2 disc (including 2.5 hour documentary!)
Disc 3: New (and exclusive) extras

And a bit on the sequel:

SEQUEL: More on this later, but lemme say this: The storyline for it has been approved by Revolution and we are now clear to start the script.

Also, a bit on The Devil's Backbone. Good movie; those who haven't seen it should definitely check it out.

DEVIL'S BACKBONE DVD: for those of you that love this movie as much as I do, this one will have a better transfer, more extras than any international edition, including a unique and really useful doodle-storyboard-final shot comparison of several key sequences. The commentary track in this disc is new and it is my favorite of any disc I've done.

Trevelyon

heavy liquid said:
SEQUEL: More on this later, but lemme say this: The storyline for it has been approved by Revolution and we are now clear to start the script.

The first tid bits of info on the sequel should come out of SDCC, where GDT, Mignola & Perlman will be doing a HB panel.

"Director's cut: I was hoping to have it released in Europe and Japan. As it turns out it will released theatrically only in France... "

Aw Crap! France only... but why? :(

So the stand alone Director's cut never existed, I guess DVDdebate got it wrong. Speaking of DVDdebate, they've put up a glowing review of the SE release.

"Columbia TriStar's Special Edition DVD is a must for all fans of film and students of the filmmaking process. The documentary alone is worth the purchase price, and gets the set a well-deserved A+ for extras. Some of the other extras seem a little unnecessary, but none should be missed, as when combined, they will tell you just about everything you need to know about the making of this film.

Hellboy's technical presentation is also superb. While the video transfer doesn't quite match Columbia's recent track record, it's still better than most; and the soundtrack will blast the wax from your ears. All in all, this is a highly recommended purchase. "

http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4421&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom