• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me select the best crappiest GPU for as little money as possible

Miles708

I don't want the latest tech. Ideally, a GTX 1060 6gb would be perfect already.
I just want to dabble with arcade emulators (Chihiro board and the like) and some simple 3D engines.

Problem is, even a years and years old 1060 is like still 300 bucks, which is absurd.

Is it possible that isn't there a "nice performance 7+ years ago" GPU for less than 180 bucks? Suggestions?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Where do you live that a 1060 is still 300 bucks? That would be more likr rtx 4060 money. I would look around at Amd, they are usually much cheaper and not much slower. Rx 480 or rx 580 should be really cheap right now.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Don't look for old GPUs, look for currently available budget GPUS.

the best, crappiest GPU that i know of is the GTX 1650, or something like an AMD RX 550-570

Last edited:

Miles708

Where do you live that a 1060 is still 300 bucks? That would be more likr rtx 4060 money.

Right? I'm mainly looking at local amazon and ebay. On a good day it's not less than 250bucks which is still completely unreasonable.
But i'm also looking only for unused.

Don't look for old GPUs, look for currently available budget GPUS.

the best, crappiest GPU that i know of is the GTX 1650, or something like an AMD rx 570

How does the 1650 perform compared to the 1060, which is my benchmark?

Guilty_AI

How does the 1650 perform compared to the 1060, which is my benchmark?
Slightly below it in performance, though it may perform better in specific games.

You can try searching for rtx 3050 if you want something better though, not sure how it costs normally, probably around $200.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Where do you live that a 1060 is still 300 bucks? That would be more likr rtx 4060 money. I would look around at Amd, they are usually much cheaper and not much slower. Rx 480 or rx 580 should be really cheap right now.
Yeah not sure where OP is but a 580 is under $100 in the US, and that will allow you to run a lot of (most?) modern games at 1080p with mid settings.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just want to dabble with arcade emulators (Chihiro board and the like) and some simple 3D engines.

Problem is, even a years and years old 1060 is like still 300 bucks, which is absurd.

Is it possible that isn't there a "nice performance 7+ years ago" GPU for less than 180 bucks? Suggestions?
3050 from Best Buy at $179

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...0-graphics-card-black/6588302.p?skuId=6588302

PeteBull

Get this one, bro, under 200usd, 8gigs of video ram, and power that is stronger not only from gtx 1060 but somewhere in the middle between gtx 1080 and 1080ti(bit weaker from ps5, around 25% weaker only).

Edit: it has only 140W tdp so will work with basically any 80bronze psu, even 300W ones, and here proof of its specs/power

Last edited:

Miles708

Yeah not sure where OP is but a 580 is under $100 in the US, and that will allow you to run a lot of (most?) modern games at 1080p with mid settings.
I'm in Yurop and let me tell you prices for this kind of stuff suck here.

Ill sell you the rtx 3080 that has been sitting in my closet for a year for $200 shipped if you’re in the US
Thanks but Europe :messenger_grinning_squinting:
I'm also on a tight budget for other expenses, that's why i'm looking for the best crappy one (i don't do much modern gaming anyway)

Get this one, bro, under 200usd, 8gigs of video ram, and power that is stronger not only from gtx 1060 but somewhere in the middle between gtx 1080 and 1080ti(bit weaker from ps5, around 25% weaker only).

Edit: it has only 140W tpd so will work with basically any 80bronze psu, even 300W ones, and here proof of its specs/power

You're the second one suggesting the RX 6600 in this thread and i'm definitely looking into it

Akuji

Got 2 rtx 2070 super the last 5 months.
1 at 175€ and the other for 190€.

For what ur doing try to Grab a gtx 980, those are dirt cheap ( around 35 - 55€ ) atleast here in germany. Should be enough for ur usecases

Ill sell you the rtx 3080 that has been sitting in my closet for a year for $200 shipped if you’re in the US
Why has it been sitting in a closet? Are you actually looking to sell or just undecided as to what to do with it? I'm building a emulation PC and am in the market myself. Shoot me a pm if you are serious about selling, I'm in the US.

Melon Husk

RTX 2060 super 8gb or non-super 12gb is 150-ish and will get you DLSS etc. for important performance boost so you can run at lower resolution and upscale.
GTX 900 series is too old.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
Might be able to find a RX6600 for $180. I bought one due to budget constraints when my R9 290 died. It's not bad. Plays most games in 1440p fine, perfect for 1080p. It's performance is between a RTX 2060 and 3060.

Reactions: Gp1
Some of these prices are wild for the 1060, For £300 you could get a 2080ti. I've seen the 1060 as low as £80 on eBay (6GB, 3GB is as low as £50), 1070's as low as £100. Last decent deal I got was a RTX 2060 for around £160 for a nephews build, got a 5700XT for £140 with another. You can get some really good stuff around £200 these days

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Why has it been sitting in a closet? Are you actually looking to sell or just undecided as to what to do with it? I'm building a emulation PC and am in the market myself. Shoot me a pm if you are serious about selling, I'm in the US.

I got a 4090 and it’s been sitting there in the 4090 box waiting for my lazy ass to sell it. I will give you first dibs since you asked first. I could ship it out Monday shoot me a PM if you want it.

Although I have to admit I like the Gaiff Gaiff plan too. He’s an ideas guy.

Last edited:

Mownoc

A used rx470 8GB is about £50 in the UK. Probably the best bang for your buck at a very low price point.

Not sure where you're getting $300 for a 1060 6GB though. CEX sell them for £75 in the UK.

Last edited:

Antwix

My vote goes to RX 580. I sold mine for like $100 a few years ago when I upgraded to my 6700xt. Not sure of regional pricing but they're going for about $60 used in USA from what I see. Great solid card and you can choose a 4gb or an 8gb model.

Nvzman

This is going to be a very controversial opinion, but I'd actually highly recommend a lower level Intel Arc card, like the A580 or A380. They're fairly cheap ($170 for the A580 brand new) and they can play basically 99% of games without issues now. I own both a video editing setup with an A770 and a laptop with an Arc igpu, and both have been absolute champs and are significantly better driver-wise than they were at 2 years ago. Any game doesn't work (which is very rare now)? Just inject vulkan and it'll most likely work. For emulation it's perfect, never ran into any problems emulating anything.
The A580 can even play modern games at 1440p at pretty damn good frame rates for a budget card as well.

Last edited:
I got a 4090 and it’s been sitting there in the 4090 box waiting for my lazy ass to sell it. I will give you first dibs since you asked first. I could ship it out Monday shoot me a PM if you want it.

Although I have to admit I like the Gaiff Gaiff plan too. He’s an ideas guy.

I like his plan too to be quite honest. PMing you now.

Last edited:
I thought about just getting a 30xx series card to use the psvr2 adapter since my 980ti architecture does not meet the minimum requirements, but then I also realized my current hardware can't support windows 11 and the windows 10 support ends in October next year . . . so I think I'll just be getting a new PC next year sometime. Probably about a year from now.

Last edited:

Dural

Not sure if you can find them where you are, but an RTX A2000 is a great low cost GPU if you can find it for less than $200. The prices have jacked up in the US the last 6 months since youtubers started recommending them. RX 6600 and RTX 3050 are also good recommendations that can go in small low power systems.

Gp1

Rx6600, 3060, 4060 maybe second hand.

I wouldn't go any low gen than that.

Watch out for the second hand rx580. There is a good chance that you will get a chinese bitcoin farm card that were hammered for years 24/7.

Last edited:
3050 then? Wasn't there a 50 card that was killing it on the lower end for being ridiculous value? Having said that NVidia haven't had good value in a good few years so maybe I'm thinking of 1050ti
I think there was a 3050.

I have a 4060 but even that Is like $300. A 3050 will be cheap enough for him.

Crayon

I’ve been out of the GPU price loop for a few months, but the RX 6600 has been a great bang for your buck card.

This will probably do what you want. They go for a little under $200, though. I would hope they were cheaper by now but oh well.

peish

Zotac 4060 solo can be found for 260+ on random sales, got one for sfx built

Last edited:
Top Bottom