• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill Warhammer 40K TV Series Might Not Happen

Draugoth

Gold Member
henry-cavill-afirma-que-adaptacao-de-warhammer-40k-esta-progredindo-muito-bem-103234.jpg

Games Workshop has reiterated that Amazon’s hotly anticipated Warhammer 40,000 film and TV series will not happen unless both companies can agree “creative guidelines” by December 2024.

Speaking in its annual financial report, Games Workshop discussed the deal that granted exclusive rights to Amazon films and television series set within the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with an option for Amazon to license equivalent rights in the Warhammer Fantasy universe following the release of the initial Warhammer 40,000 production.

via IGN

Trogdor1123

I hope it happens but this leads me to believe the gws is pushing back on Amazons more… inclusive, approach.

After what happened with the custodes I don’t blame them.

Amazon can really hit when they want to so I am cautiously optimistic still. It would be great to grow the hobby too. I’m still a super noob but it is great fun. I highly recommend it. The painting is very relaxing and rewarding.

Trogdor1123

Nah, GW has become a woke turd changing established lore to cater to certain crowds. But yeah, obv Amazon sucks dick as well.
GW has always been highly progressive though. I wouldn’t call them woke.

They make lots of mistakes, sure, but I think they genuinely want to make compelling stuff.

If they really really wanted to go woke the end and the death would have been very different.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nah, GW has become a woke turd changing established lore to cater to certain crowds. But yeah, obv Amazon sucks dick as well.

I think GW don't want to change too quickly. Female Space Marines and more are probably coming to make the hobby appeal to a wider audience, but they need to ease the fanbase into it.

Amazon would likely hit the change button quicker than what GW would like, which I can sort of understand. It's hard to make a TV series or film on 40k because there are no real "good guys" that the general audience can get behind.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Henry Cavill just can not catch a fucking break lately.

He's the single biggest waste of talent in the entire industry. Tall, god level physique and handsome looks, charming, passionate about his roles and the source material, he's a dream come true for any filmmaker. Yet they keep fucking him over. It's just another example that emphasizes how fucking toxic the entertainment industry is.

Trogdor1123

I think GW don't want to change too quickly. Female Space Marines and more are probably coming to make the hobby appeal to a wider audience, but they need to ease the fanbase into it.

Amazon would likely hit the change button quicker than what GW would like, which I can sort of understand. It's hard to make a TV series or film on 40k because there are no real "good guys" that the general audience can get behind.
Very true. There are lots of good individuals but no truly good teams.

One part of the seige of Terra I found really interesting is the way they painted the emperor. He was extremely removed from humanity but he wanted to make their lives better. I think it’s in Warhawk where they talk about the environmental and social progress being made on earth. It’s just a few throw away lines but it paints the emperor and the imperium in a very different light.

henry-cavill-afirma-que-adaptacao-de-warhammer-40k-esta-progredindo-muito-bem-103234.jpg

Games Workshop has reiterated that Amazon’s hotly anticipated Warhammer 40,000 film and TV series will not happen unless both companies can agree “creative guidelines” by December 2024.

Speaking in its annual financial report, Games Workshop discussed the deal that granted exclusive rights to Amazon films and television series set within the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with an option for Amazon to license equivalent rights in the Warhammer Fantasy universe following the release of the initial Warhammer 40,000 production.

via IGN
Interesting development in the Warhammer 40,000 film and TV series! Games Workshop is holding firm on creative control, and it's great to see them prioritizing the integrity of the IP. Fingers crossed that Amazon and Games Workshop can come to an agreement by December 2024. The Warhammer universe has so much potential for epic storytelling - let's hope it gets the adaptation it deserves!

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have a hard time thinking its about adding women or POC to the cast, I can't think of a single IP with less appeal to women than WH40k and sci-fi has almost always been pretty racially inclusive when the filming location allows for casting it. I bet it is more about depicting Orks as pure brute savages or Eldar as effeminate twinks or whatever, "harmful stereotypes". Or a fight over HOW EPIC space marines should look, either a guy in a giant CG suit or something like Starship Troopers where power armor turns into a molded vest and helmet.

Just think if Microsoft had forced the Halo show to be more like the game, so more helmet wearing, fewer spartan ass shots, and no rando asian girl storyline going nowhere.

FunkMiller

'Previously announced information, re-announced and exaggerated by our shitty website for clickbait.'

This was only ever going to proceed if they agreed on creative terms. That was stated in 2023. They’re just reiterating for the annual report.

And it's an excellent financial report this year for the company. Which is nice.

Also, don’t get too obsessed with the idea the negotiations are taking so long due to some DEI bullshit. 40K is incredibly bleak, violent and very satirical.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Yes, because GW have never changed established 40k lore before to appeal to a crowd...

Honestly, how many of you are actual 40k fans, and how many are just jumping on some politicised bullshit?

GW has been left wing and 'woke' since the 1980s. You think the fucking satire against religion is a new thing? How about the primarch named after a gay poet? All the women in positions of power in the Imperium? How about all the big, powerful men that are portrayed as arrogant, hubristic, dumb idiots, who consistently screw things up?

Any time I hear people whining about GW and 40k going woke, I know damn well they know fuck all about the lore beyond 'big space marine shooty shooty' :messenger_tears_of_joy: The Imperium aren't the good guys. Astartes aren't heroes. The entire thing is one giant satire of authoritarian, right wing, religious organisations...

...and that, boys and girls, is probably a lot more the reason why Amazon and GW can't agree on a creative way forward.

Last edited:

Doczu

They probably can't agree to what extent they want to "put a chick in it an make it lame and gay"
GW: so we have these Sisters of Battle and Sisters of Silence, we believe we can find enough hero's to meet the DEI quota and...

Amazon: No, no, no

G: ??

Amazon: not lame and gay enough

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is why it will never happen. 40K violates every single one of the rules shows they produce must abide by:

Fbh

Any time I hear people whining about GW and 40k going woke, I know damn well they know fuck all about the lore beyond 'big space marine shooty shooty' :messenger_tears_of_joy: The Imperium aren't the good guys. Astartes aren't heroes. The entire thing is one giant satire of authoritarian, right wing, religious organisations...

...and that, boys and girls, is probably a lot more the reason why Amazon and GW can't agree on a creative way forward.

woke Jokes aside I do think this might be part of the issue.
Astartes aren't heroes and the Imperium aren't the good guys, but they are badass and cool and a big part of the appeal of the world of 40K. Making an adaptation where they aren't a big part of the show and aren't depicted as cool would probably upset fans, but make a more faithful adaptation and suddenly you'll get accused of "glorifying fascism" or something like that because people these days don't understand satire and can't separate fiction from reality

FunkMiller

This is why it will never happen. 40K violates every single one of the rules shows they produce must abide by:

Tell you what, for shits and giggles, let's put Amazon's rules against 40k and see what happens:

• Each film or series with a creative team of three or more people in above-the-line roles (Directors, Writers, Producers) should ideally include a minimum 30% women and 30% members of an underrepresented racial/ethnic group. This aspirational goal will increase to 50% by 2024. Two of the six senior staff of GW are women. One is of Indian heritage. GW believes in a diverse senior management team as much as Amazon.
  • Casting actors whose identity (gender, gender identity, nationality, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability) aligns with the character they will be playing. Plenty of 40k characters who are from ethnic backgrounds, and women. Vulcan/St Celestine/The Khan/Euphrati / Severine / Tallarn ... off the top of my head. Many many many many more.
  • Aiming to include one character from each of the following categories in speaking roles, with minimum 50% of these to be women: LGBTQIA+, person with a disability, and three regionally underrepresented race/ethnic/cultural groups. A single character can fulfill one or more of these identities. Gay dude as Sanguinius or Fulgrim / Any Astartes in a dreadnought for disability (Bjorn?) / three races is easy with all the astra militarum / tonnes of female 40k characters to play with. who doesn't want to see Amberley Vail?
  • Seeking at least three bids from vendors or suppliers on productions, one of which must be from a woman-owned business and one from a minority-owned business. Well, that's very easy too.
  • Pay equity across casting, behind the camera staff and crew, and for vendors and suppliers. Quite right.

So, would somebody like to point out where in these rules 40k cannot be made? Or why it will never happen?

Bottom line: these shows/movies aren't going to be stopped by DEI considerations.

Amazon being worried about whining right wing people who don't like a religion with heavy christian iconography being portrayed as a fucking terrible thing just might stop it though. As will the extreme violence and gore.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Is it? I'm not so sure. The setting was initially inspired by satirical works like Judge Dredd and had clear elements of satire, particularly in its depiction of extreme bureaucracy, religious fanaticism, and war. This is very clear in the early editions.

However, over time 40K has grown more serious and less overtly satirical, focusing on epic space opera and dark fantasy elements on a biblical scale. To somebody who isn't familiar with the history of 40K, it does come across as a franchise that takes itself very seriously. I don't think the average Joe would pick up a random 40k novel and identify as satire, as you would do with something that is clear satire like Animal Farm.

I guess this is still open to debate and really boils down to what your interpretation of satire is.
Amazon being worried about whining right wing people who don't like a religion with heavy christian iconography being portrayed as a fucking terrible thing just might stop it though. As will the extreme violence and gore.

As a Catholic, this has never bothered me. I've always seen it as a win that they think
Christian iconography just looks bad ass. Whoever had that idea originally was a genius.

FunkMiller

As a Catholic, this has never bothered me. I've always seen it as a win that they think
Christian iconography just looks bad ass. Whoever had that idea originally was a genius.

That’s cool. But I can see people at Amazon being very wary in the current political climate of featuring a fascistic right wing government with such overt Christian imagery.

The premise of 40K, if done correctly, is inherently political. As you say, much the same as Judge Dredd (which died on its arse because nobody wanted to actually make Judge Dredd)

If this 40K project dies, it’ll be for the same reasons Dredd has never got off the ground. Big corporate America does not want to make movies about overtly fascist authoritarian main characters, especially ones who have a heavy religious leaning. I can just see the meetings with Jeff’s robots asking if they can tone down the religious mockery a bit, and GW telling them to fuck off 😂

The issue here isn’t diversity hiring, or how many chicks are in it. 40K has more than enough room for all of that.

Last edited:

IDKFA

That’s cool. But I can see people at Amazon being very wary in the current political climate of featuring a fascistic right wing government with such overt Christian imagery.

I'm not even sure we can label the Imperium as fascist, or communist for that matter. It doesn't make any sense. I understand it's tempting to apply real-world political ideologies to fantasy settings, but 40K is a make-believe dystopian universe where survival is paramount and individual liberties are virtually nonexistent. It's neither left or right wing.

I'm very confident that Amazon aren't worried about pissing off their right wing or religious customers. Somebody would have to be a very special kind of stupid to look at 40K and think "they're mocking my politics/religion".

Trogdor1123

Yes, because GW have never changed established 40k lore before to appeal to a crowd...

Honestly, how many of you are actual 40k fans, and how many are just jumping on some politicised bullshit?

GW has been left wing and 'woke' since the 1980s. You think the fucking satire against religion is a new thing? How about the primarch named after a gay poet? All the women in positions of power in the Imperium? How about all the big, powerful men that are portrayed as arrogant, hubristic, dumb idiots, who consistently screw things up?

It’s true, it’s even more obvious when you compare 30k stuff to 40K. The Emperor is probably the smartest man to ever live with the power to back it up personally and in the empire and essentially a god but even then the hubris caused the down fall of man (again). Although… I’m in the camp that the Emperor saw this all coming and actually planned it but that’s not important in this conversation.

God, it’s great series! I primed my nuns with guns the other day and can’t wait till paint them

FunkMiller

I'm not even sure we can label the Imperium as fascist, or communist for that matter. It doesn't make any sense. I understand it's tempting to apply real-world political ideologies to fantasy settings, but 40K is a make-believe dystopian universe where survival is paramount and individual liberties are virtually nonexistent. It's neither left or right wing.

I'm very confident that Amazon aren't worried about pissing off their right wing or religious customers. Somebody would have to be a very special kind of stupid to look at 40K and think "they're mocking my politics/religion".

Mate. It's super fascist.

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/ FASH-iz-əm) is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement,[1][2][3] characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation or race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.[2][3]

The dictatorial leader is the figurehead of the God Emperor, with the High Lords Of Terra the ones in actual charge. The Imperium is incredibly authoratarian at every level. The Imperium is heavily militarised. Any opposition is crushed utterly through violence. The Imperium is massively xenophobic, and constantly talks about the superiority of the human race over all others. Society is very strongly regimented. Nobody has free will, and most are just grist for the war machine. Every human being must adhere to the religious teachings of The Imperium, anything else is classed as heresy and is met with instant death, or torture then death.

It's as far away from communism as it's possible to get. There's no shared wealth of any kind!

The Imperium drips with Catholic/Christian symbology, as much as it does with fascist symbolism.

If an adaptation is done right, it will annoy people. Especially the fundamentalist types, who will (rightly) see mockery of faith throughout.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

The dictatorial leader is the figurehead of the God Emperor, with the High Lords Of Terra the ones in actual charge. The Imperium is incredibly authoratarian at every level. The Imperium is heavily militarised. Any opposition is crushed utterly through violence. The Imperium is massively xenophobic, and constantly talks about the superiority of the human race over all others. Society is very strongly regimented. Every human being must adhere to the religious teachings of The Imperium, anything else is classed as heresy and is met with instant death, or torture then death.

It's as far away from communism as it's possible to get. There's no shared wealth of any kind!

The Imperium drips with Catholic/Christian symbology, as much as it does with fascist symbolism.

If an adaptation is done right, it will annoy people. Especially the fundamentalist types.
See, you gotta balance all that with the INDISPUTABLE FACT that chaos, orks, Eldar, tau, etc will ABSOLUTELY commit GENOCIDE on all humanity if there is even a tiny slip. It's literally life or death every day.

In that context it's like saying Roosevelt or Churchhill were fascists for measures they enacted in WW2. The demogogish cult like trappings of Empire are essential because chaos lurks in every shadow and will infect at the slightly opportunity. Heretics MUST be purged and the unclean MUST be cleansed, even if some healthy tissue has to go with it.

FunkMiller

See, you gotta balance all that with the INDISPUTABLE FACT that chaos, orks, Eldar, tau, etc will ABSOLUTELY commit GENOCIDE on all humanity if there is even a tiny slip. It's literally life or death every day.

In that context it's like saying Roosevelt or Churchhill were fascists for measures they enacted in WW2. The demogogish cult like trappings of Empire are essential because chaos lurks in every shadow and will infect at the slightly opportunity. Heretics MUST be purged and the unclean MUST be cleansed, even if some healthy tissue has to go with it.

Oh, The Imperium is beset on all sides by horrors - that's kind of the point of the whole damn thing. But none of that makes it any less bad in the way it is run or treats its populace. It's a fascist dictatorship down to its bones.

There are no good guys in 40k.

...though Gulliman is trying his best to make things a bit better, god bless the big blueberry.

Last edited:

IDKFA

The dictatorial leader is the figurehead of the God Emperor, with the High Lords Of Terra the ones in actual charge. The Imperium is incredibly authoratarian at every level. The Imperium is heavily militarised. Any opposition is crushed utterly through violence. The Imperium is massively xenophobic, and constantly talks about the superiority of the human race over all others. Society is very strongly regimented. Nobody has free will, and most are just grist for the war machine. Every human being must adhere to the religious teachings of The Imperium, anything else is classed as heresy and is met with instant death, or torture then death.

If an adaptation is done right, it will annoy people. Especially the fundamentalist types, who will (rightly) see mockery of faith throughout.

Some interesting points, but I'm still not convinced.

You could look at the Imperium traits and say "communism" very easily as well. However, both would be incorrect. And it get it. It's common for people to equate certain authoritarian or oppressive elements with fascism/communism. While the Imperium undoubtedly shares some surface-level similarities, a deeper dive reveals fundamental differences.

For example, while the Imperium is undeniably totalitarian, it's primarily a theocracy centered around worship of the Emperor as a god. Fascism, on the other hand, is a secular ideology focused on nationalism.

The Imperium is also rife with corruption, decadence, and inefficiency, traits directly opposed to the ideals of efficiency and order often associated with fascism.

Finally, fascism often involves state control of the economy. The Imperium's economy is more chaotic, with a mix of feudalism, mercantilism, and outright exploitation.

Remember, this is a fantasy setting created to sell toy soldiers. The Imperium are also the poster boys of this hobby. Do you think GW are going to make their main target army fascists that are associated with the Nazis? You can say "it's satire", but that's not going to be clear to a lot of people. As previously stated, the satire element has all but vanished anyway. GW now treat 40K as a serious setting*

*Except for Orks, but Orks are awesome!

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh, The Imperium is beset on all sides by horrors - that's kind of the point of the whole damn thing. But none of that makes it any less bad in the way it is run or treats its populace. It's a fascist dictatorship down to its bones.

There are no good guys in 40k.

...though Gulliman is trying his best to make things a bit better, god bless the big blueberry.
But if the end goal is preservation of the human race, then they ARE the good guys. A cynical "well they coulda been nicer" argument is only from a position of privilege that you are NOT gonna be exterminated in short order. Thats the fundamental hook with WH40K, everything the Emperor and all those enforcement units are doing is ABSOLUTELY essential and any lapse in vigilance leads to a planet falling to chaos, a system being swept clean by the tyranids, or industrial centers falling to the Ork hordes. Its far more like european city-states and feudal regions dealing with aggressive neighbors, all of whom have genocidal impulses. You gotta take the long view of the big picture to truly see the genius of the sacrificies made.

It's better to say "there are no NICE guys in 40k", everyone is good in their own eyes.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
He's the single biggest waste of talent in the entire industry. Tall, god level physique and handsome looks, charming, passionate about his roles and the source material, he's a dream come true for any filmmaker. Yet they keep fucking him over. It's just another example that emphasizes how fucking toxic the entertainment industry is.
He really needs to join Scientology and it'll all be better.

FunkMiller

But if the end goal is preservation of the human race, then they ARE the good guys. A cynical "well they coulda been nicer" argument is only from a position of privilege that you are NOT gonna be exterminated in short order. Thats the fundamental hook with WH40K, everything the Emperor and all those enforcement units are doing is ABSOLUTELY essential and any lapse in vigilance leads to a planet falling to chaos, a system being swept clean by the tyranids, or industrial centers falling to the Ork hordes. Its far more like european city-states and feudal regions dealing with aggressive neighbors, all of whom have genocidal impulses. You gotta take the long view of the big picture to truly see the genius of the sacrificies made.

It's better to say "there are no NICE guys in 40k", everyone is good in their own eyes.

Sorry, but your read on this is objectively wrong. The Imperium have done some horrific things, including genocide. It’s a fucking awful system of government. Just because there are other bad things out there, it doesn’t mean what the Imperium does is justified. How much of the fluff have you read? Can you honestly tell me you think what the Emperor did during the Great Crusade was all justified? How about some of the things the Inquisition do? Come on. The Emperor was a genocidal despot, and those who rule in his stead continue to be so.

There are, objectively, no good guys. Everyone has said as much for decades. It’s kind of 40k’s ‘thing’ that sets it apart from other IP. I know it’s good to have heroes to back in a fictional setting, but this is not the one to try that. Even people like Loken, Garro, Gaunt and Eisenhorn have done some pretty awful things!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Some interesting points, but I'm still not convinced.

You could look at the Imperium traits and say "communism" very easily as well. However, both would be incorrect. And it get it. It's common for people to equate certain authoritarian or oppressive elements with fascism/communism. While the Imperium undoubtedly shares some surface-level similarities, a deeper dive reveals fundamental differences.

For example, while the Imperium is undeniably totalitarian, it's primarily a theocracy centered around worship of the Emperor as a god. Fascism, on the other hand, is a secular ideology focused on nationalism.

The Imperium is also rife with corruption, decadence, and inefficiency, traits directly opposed to the ideals of efficiency and order often associated with fascism.

Finally, fascism often involves state control of the economy. The Imperium's economy is more chaotic, with a mix of feudalism, mercantilism, and outright exploitation.

Remember, this is a fantasy setting created to sell toy soldiers. The Imperium are also the poster boys of this hobby. Do you think GW are going to make their main target army fascists that are associated with the Nazis? You can say "it's satire", but that's not going to be clear to a lot of people. As previously stated, the satire element has all but vanished anyway. GW now treat 40K as a serious setting*

*Except for Orks, but Orks are awesome!

Not necessarily. There have been many fascist states that were religious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_fascism#:~:text=The term has been used,clergy play a leading role.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fascism

Christian nationalism is a well documented thing. You can easily describe a lot of what goes on in Middle Eastern countries as being fascist.

But The Imperium Of Man is very definitely constructed to be a fascist state, that uses religion as its primary method of control, over its quadrillions of repressed, slave-like inhabitants.

I kind of agree that GW don’t lean as hard on the political stuff these days, so as not to damage plastic sales, but the lore continues to feature it pretty heavily. It’s still very much a thing for people who delve deeper into the hobby.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Henry made a massive mistake when he changed talent agency back in about 2016. He went from UA to The Rock's ex-wife Dany Garcia, and it all went fucking sideways from there. It's not really the industry's fault as a whole. It's his own decision making.

He keeps getting fucked over, because that dumb broad didn't get him good enough contracts. He's left her now, but the damage was done during the effective height of his stardom.

He'll stay with the Warhammer project, wherever it ends up. I believe that was nailed down after he left Garcia, so her stank won't be over whatever deal he has with GW. And GW know how valuable he is to them as a negotiating tool and for the PR.

Last edited:

Mistake

So from what I'm reading in this thread, if they do follow DEI standards, the'll portray their stuff in a bad light, while ticking off religious folks at the same time. Sounds like a lose-lose situation. They probably can't agree who will be who

Last edited:

FunkMiller

So from what I'm reading in this thread, if they do follow DEI standards, the'll portray their stuff in bad light, while ticking off religious folks at the same time. Sounds like a lose-lose situation. They probably can't agree who will be who

The DEI stuff is not the issue. I'm fairly sure of that. 40k can easily encompass the rules Amazon Studios have set out, with no negative impact on the storytelling. You can fill the show/movie up with black, brown, disabled, gay, female, trans, people all you like and it won't ruin it.

I'm willing to bet the hold up is more about the level of violence and general nastiness in the setting. GW will not want a watered down, sanitised version of the IP. The old Frank Spotnitz deal fell to pieces probably due to this. Add the religious stuff, and the overall tone of the whole damn thing, and there's every chance Amazon could run away in fear of making it the way GW want it.

Last edited:

T8SC

Let this man live out his dream!

HI08lrPD159Ox4kn_scaled.jpg

Humanity is venal and fractious. It can never be governed as one. Everything else is an impossible dream. There is no peace. There is no goodness.

And in such a flawed universe, there can be no mercy for traitors.

Last edited:

Braag

He probably doesn't want to relive the same mistakes Netflix did with The Witcher series. Which is why I honestly don't mind never seeing this thing happen if we end up with a bastardized version of it all.

Basically, the current political climate and everyone jumping on leftist, purity ideal will make the show impossible to be faithful to WH40k. Considering WH40k and its entire lore is basically antithesis of what politically correct leftists believe.

Also, GW will never agree to something that they don't have the power over Amazon and writers when it comes to their IP and Henry Cavil; is just too much of a faithful fan of WH40k to compromise to anything to not repeat the Witcher mistake.

It was a pipe dream from the beginning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom