• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill Warhammer 40K TV Series Might Not Happen

FunkMiller

Basically, the current political climate and everyone jumping on leftist, purity ideal will make the show impossible to be faithful to WH40k. Considering WH40k and its entire lore is basically antithesis of what politically correct leftists believe.

Also, GW will never agree to something that they don't have the power over Amazon and writers when it comes to their IP and Henry Cavil; is just too much of a faithful fan of WH40k to compromise to anything to not repeat the Witcher mistake.

It was a pipe dream from the beginning.

Sorry, but only someone who is clueless about 40k, and has just seen a few pictures of Space Marines could think this. GW leans left politically. Don't go looking at the Twitter profiles for the authors, you'll have an aneurism.

Annual Report

Social responsibility
We are committed to ethical sourcing and staff well being, diversity and inclusion. We will be collecting and reporting internally the ethnicity of our staff and we will track trends. Committed to diversity, we will continue to performance manage and recruit for the personal qualities needed to do a particular job as well as the necessary skills. I will continue to do my best to ensure this is the case and that we arefair and free from any bias and/or prejudice.

These kinds of threads just become excuses for people with political axes to grind to come in, talk about something they don't understand, and get poochy when people call them out on it.

Might as well just lock the thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not saying that Henry Cavill is hard to work with, I literally have no idea.

But, I can imagine having an actor with an outsize influence on a production might create the kind of situation where the guy who's paid to look good while saying the words might not be automatically the right person to be in charge of the direction of the show with influence on the writing, the directing and the overall time management and budgeting of a project, which some people might imagine is a simpler process than it is.

I would also say that while plenty of people appear to think he looks wonderful and talks a good talk:

Tall, god level physique and handsome looks, charming, passionate about his roles and the source material, he's a dream come true for any filmmaker.

is he a producer? Is he the right person to get a film/tv show made? This news might suggest he might not be.

A lazy reference, but given that they both worked on Mission Impossible, I wonder if he's trying to do what Tom Cruise does but doesn't have as much industry experience as Cruise does.

EDIT: Cavill may also not have anything to do with any of the things I'm positing either. He might have just put himself out there to do some PR and whip up a bit of enthusiasm, which is of course a big part of the reason to hire a name actor.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I'm not saying that Henry Cavill is hard to work with, I literally have no idea.

But, I can imagine having an actor with an outsize influence on a production might create the kind of situation where the guy who's paid to look good while saying the words might not be automatically the right person to be in charge of the direction of the show with influence on the writing, the directing and the overall time management and budgeting of a project, which some people might imagine is a simpler process than it is.

I would also say that while plenty of people appear to think he looks wonderful and talks a good talk:

is he a producer? Is he the right person to get a film/tv show made? This news might suggest he might not be.

A lazy reference, but given that they both worked on Mission Impossible, I wonder if he's trying to do what Tom Cruise does but doesn't have as much industry experience as Cruise does.

EDIT: Cavill may also not have anything to do with any of the things I'm positing either. He might have just put himself out there to do some PR and whip up a bit of enthusiasm, which is of course a big part of the reason to hire a name actor.
The outrageous behaviour some snowflakes have complained about Cavill is him wanting shows showing at least some respect for the source material.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The outrageous behaviour some snowflakes have complained about Cavill is him wanting shows showing at least some respect for the source material.

Yeah, but unless someone tells you what the original agreement was, you have no idea how this is playing out. It certainly seems that half the people in this thread don't agree with what the politics of this particular franchise is. Maybe someone's got it wrong in the production and that's what the argument is about - which side of the argument different people are on you don't know. The side that you're backing might have it wrong for all you know.

Also, creative differences could mean all sorts of things. It might mean making sure that a particular character is played a certain way. But it could mean some hugely expensive thing needs to be onscreen in one person's opinion, but not to another decision maker. Someone might be demanding that a giant battle that'll cost millions to be created is the first 3 minutes that people see and thinks it's integral to the production. In original discussions, it might never have been explicitly described or may even have been assumed that because it's so expensive that the scene would be expressed as a series of still images with a voiceover. Or perhaps they set the budget before negotiations were complete and they don't have the budget for the cast AND that scene because a couple of agents have negotiated a bigger fee for their clients. Or perhaps there isn't capacity at the VFX houses to get it done on schedule.

For any number of reasons things can become impractical, and that could be the kind of creative difference we're talking about.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I don't know much about 40K but anything sci-fi is something to look forward to!
It is pretty much the best sci fi universe in my mind. It’s story has literally millions of year of back story, loads of unknown that will never ever be explained, and incredible characters. It’s not all overly serious either. Some of the stuff is actually just silly fun adventures and some is even funny. Most of it is super serious though

If you like sci fi, get into the series.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Basically, the current political climate and everyone jumping on leftist, purity ideal will make the show impossible to be faithful to WH40k. Considering WH40k and its entire lore is basically antithesis of what politically correct leftists believe.

Also, GW will never agree to something that they don't have the power over Amazon and writers when it comes to their IP and Henry Cavil; is just too much of a faithful fan of WH40k to compromise to anything to not repeat the Witcher mistake.

It was a pipe dream from the beginning.
Games Workshop is pretty left-leaning and becoming even more so. You should see the older editions where it was a lot darker but they've toned it down quite a bit to appeal to mass audiences. So I don't think that's going to be entirely an issue.

I think a lot of the stuff with Henry Cavill is just for public relations. At the end of the day I doubt he would have much anyways and I think the show is going to be done with or without him eventually.

T8SC

. You should see the older editions where it was a lot darker but they've toned it down quite a bit to appeal to mass audiences. So I don't think that's going to be entirely an issue.

When you say "earlier editions", you must mean 7th or something because it was bright green and red back in 2nd and it wasn't for mass audiences then with it's bright colour scheme either.
Warhammer didn't start in 2010.

Warhammer_40_000_2nd_Edition_Ultramarine_Retro_01_featured-scaled.jpg.webp

So dark. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Darkmakaimura

When you say "earlier editions", you must mean 7th or something because it was bright green and red back in 2nd and it wasn't for mass audiences then with it's bright colour scheme either.
Warhammer didn't start in 2010.

Warhammer_40_000_2nd_Edition_Ultramarine_Retro_01_featured-scaled.jpg.webp

So dark. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Have you seen some of the artwork in books in the earlier editions? The Space Marines were hideous as all hell. Very inhuman.

Darkmakaimura

250px-Ultramarines_2e.png

Again, early Warhammer was colourful. Which era are you talking about? because it wasn't the early days.

SAM_4318.JPG
To be fair it's still pretty colorful. I guess it always has been but I'm talking about some of the black and white artwork contained within the books. The Space Marines had a lot more nodes and wiring that made them look a heck of a lot more like something on a Clive Barker. They've toned it down a bit.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
To be fair it's still pretty colorful. I guess it always has been but I'm talking about some of the black and white artwork contained within the books. The Space Marines had a lot more nodes and wiring that made them look a heck of a lot more like something on a Clive Barker. They've toned it down a bit.

Like these?
sULkKOX.jpeg
8CfyRrl.jpeg

Darkmakaimura

Now something that does have any curious is what kind of movie are we going to expect or should I say series for Warhammer 40,000?

I mean the budget would be pretty high when it comes down to Space Marines versus whatever.

So it's possible this may be something more on the line of Inquisitors hunting down Heretics or even a Rogue Trader show. The latter is basically dark Star Trek so they might be worried about being too similar to other things if that were to occur, I'll tell you h'wat.

Last edited:
Sorry, but only someone who is clueless about 40k, and has just seen a few pictures of Space Marines could think this. GW leans left politically. Don't go looking at the Twitter profiles for the authors, you'll have an aneurism.
Never have I ever implied that GW leans left politically. You need a serious reading comprehension if this is what you inferred after reading my post.

Games Workshop is pretty left-leaning and becoming even more so. You should see the older editions where it was a lot darker but they've toned it down quite a bit to appeal to mass audiences. So I don't think that's going to be entirely an issue.
I'm talking about the lore behind 40k, which is the antithesis of what the left stands for. Not the company itself. I couldn't care less if the company is leaning left, right, center or extreme right. I'm talking about how protective they are with their IP and will never let companies like Amazon Studios, Paramount to control the writing when creating a show. The writers would want to include some politically correct shenanigans just to fit their company political identity quota, which is exactly what happened to shows like LotR and Halo.

Which I said it's a pipe dream to think there would be a genuine show about 40k, unless GW is directly involved with writing and control of the tv show, and they would definitely not want bunch of writers to change the lore of 40k just to fit the current political climate.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Never have I ever implied that GW leans left politically. You need a serious reading comprehension if this is what you inferred after reading my post.

I'm talking about the lore behind 40k, which is the antithesis of what the left stands for. Not the company itself. I couldn't care less if the company is leaning left, right, center or extreme right. I'm talking about how protective they are with their IP and will never let companies like Amazon Studios, Paramount to control the writing when creating a show. The writers would want to include some politically correct shenanigans just to fit their company political identity quota, which is exactly what happened to shows like LotR and Halo.

Which I said it's a pipe dream to think there would be a genuine show about 40k, unless GW is directly involved with writing and control of the tv show, and they would definitely not want bunch of writers to change the lore of 40k just to fit the current political climate.

Okay, let's interrogate your claim that the 40k lore is the 'antithesis of what political leftists believe':

People on the left think that authoritarian, right-wing, religious government is a terrible idea.

Please tell us what about the 40k lore says to you that the Imperium Of Man is not depicted in this way. How is it supportive of right wing ideology? How is any of the 40k lore?

...and also, I never implied you said GW leans left. I was telling you they do. Ironic that you criticise my reading comprehension :lollipop_smirking:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I’m thinking they are waiting to see how Space Marine 2 does and want to ride that wave.

Bit off topic? How is Warhammer +? It worth trying?

T8SC

Not really. The amount of content is severely lacking, and that doesn't appear to be changing any time soon. All feels a bit half-arsed, to be honest.

The Tithes is a new animation coming soon, a new trailer just dropped today.

Aside from that, I agree, it's just battle reports that are free on YouTube by others, Lore masters which is basically free from ArbitorIan and painting tutorials which you can get from Duncan Rhodes and elsewhere, free.

Edit: Tagging Trogdor1123 Trogdor1123 as he originally asked.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Not really. The amount of content is severely lacking, and that doesn't appear to be changing any time soon. All feels a bit half-arsed, to be honest.
Is it one of those grab it one month a year and that’s it kind of services?

I actually don’t even know the price. Doesn’t it come with a mini too?

FunkMiller

Is it one of those grab it one month a year and that’s it kind of services?

I actually don’t even know the price. Doesn’t it come with a mini too?

Yeah, give it a go for a month (unless you really want the mini). You'll easily get through pretty much everything worth watching in that time. £5.99 a month GBP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom