• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's a stupid iPod/mp3 player question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I've got a LOT of mp3s that I downloaded/encoded from my own collection. My iPod is on it's way from freevideogames.com. How do I organize my collection into albums?

Is there a special file I have to download for each album that acts as a playlist for the iPod? Do I have to tell the iPod what files to play in which order? Can iTunes do the dirty work for me?

Thanks for the help.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
If your collection has ID3 tags, you'll be fine.

Kenya-Tiger.jpg

KENYA KENYA KENYA!!!!!

DJ_Tet

Banned
Kwokuen said:
If your collection has ID3 tags, you'll be fine.

In plain english?

All I've ever used mp3s for is converting to wavs and burning cds.

I'm not opposed to more work, just looking for an easy way out.

DJ_Tet

Banned
ok that sounds good, but what exactly should I be looking for?

Say I've got a folder full of an album. I want to put it on my iPod. Is there a special file that can tell the iPod what order I want the iPod to play my mp3s in?

Chrono

Banned
I don't mean to "hijack" this thread but my questions are too stupid for another one of these threads.... :p

1) in iTunes, how the hell do I use import? it only shows files in text or xml ro something... what is it for? I can only "add folder" or files (indiviual songs).

2) iTunes too: around half of my music is purchased from iTunes store or ripped from official CDs.. so they all go nicley in the iTunes folder with the same style. However, stuff like anime OSTs I download are not. I guess I can drag and drop them into the itunes folder and THEN add the folder.. but can't I re-rip them to make them into AAC? I burned them to a CD-R and tried ripping them by iTunes but for some reason it's like iTunes doesn't recognize I have a music CD in my drive... the burn option doesn't show up.

Also, how do I make individual files also go in the iTunes folder in the same order is everything else like an artist folder then album.. ? individual songs I d/l look odd alone in that folder. I guess I can just add the file from whereeve it is.. but that creates problems. Like if I d/l a song and it's on my desktop and I add it to iTunes. If I clean up my desktop one day the song goes and I can't play it from iTunes (it says can't locate it) so putting all of my music, or at least all the music I want to be on iTunes, in the iTunes music folder is better.

Fusebox said:
2. Read manual.

There's a manual? All I see is iTunes hot tips... :eek:

You wouldn't want to 're-rip' mp3's into another lossy format Chrono.

Also you're confusing me, just when I am getting used to the idea of using iTunes :\

There's an option in iTunes that reads something like 'Keep music folder organised/organized' and another one that reads something like 'Copy music to iTunes folder on import'.

If you have them both turned on, you'll never have any problems with losing files or anything.

iTunes is so freakin easy and powerful that you should have no problems. Just click on the song name or the artist or the album field, and type away what it is.

Chrono

Banned
Freestyler said:
There's an option in iTunes that reads something like 'Keep music folder organised/organized' and another one that reads something like 'Copy music to iTunes folder on import'.

If you have them both turned on, you'll never have any problems with losing files or anything.

iTunes is so freakin easy and powerful that you should have no problems. Just click on the song name or the artist or the album field, and type away what it is.

ah thanks, the "copy music to itunes folder on import" would help a lot. :)

btw Isn't the "keep music folder organized" the option that searches for ALL music on your pc and imports and organizes everything? I remember the horror stories that ensued when iTuens first came out thanks to that option.

joaomgcd

DJ_Tet said:
ok that sounds good, but what exactly should I be looking for?

Say I've got a folder full of an album. I want to put it on my iPod. Is there a special file that can tell the iPod what order I want the iPod to play my mp3s in?

Look at your files' ID3 tags. If they have album and song number tags correctly filled in, than iPod will organize them correctly by album, and put them in the correct order by song number. This goes for artist, Genre, etc, as well.

xsarien

daedsiluap
DJ_Tet said:
I've got a LOT of mp3s that I downloaded/encoded from my own collection. My iPod is on it's way from freevideogames.com. How do I organize my collection into albums?

Is there a special file I have to download for each album that acts as a playlist for the iPod? Do I have to tell the iPod what files to play in which order? Can iTunes do the dirty work for me?

Thanks for the help.

Just make sure the ID3 tags are filled out. iTunes makes it easy, but if you have something you're more comfortable with, use that.

GG-Duo

I want to know how Chinese or Japanese artists are sorted in iTunes

Can I set up an "alias" for the artist?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GG-Duo said:
I want to know how Chinese or Japanese artists are sorted in iTunes

Can I set up an "alias" for the artist?

in itunes they are organized like they would be in japanese hiragana\katakana stuff first. then kanji. they are organized alphabetically too.

a, i, u, e, o, ka, sa, ta, ha, na, ma(maybe the other way around for those two) then Ya, ra, wa.

GG-Duo

but would "Utada Hikaru" be sorted as the same artist as ... well, her name in Japanese characters?

EDIT, I know it's a outrageous question, but I've always wanted this feature. It's the one thing that's stopped me from using "Music Library" programs. I just can't sort my Chinese and Japanese songs properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom