• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Meeru said:
Well now that we know that Dota 2 Beta won't come out until a few weeks after Gamescom, I am stuck with nothing. No Tribes:Ascend, no Dota 2..smh
Make your wife happy. Love triumphs over all.

Ha.

kagete

Hohoho it's like HonGaf needs its own manager or HR rep to keep people from getting high blood pressure.

• Expectation Management (casual or hardcore?)
  • Teamwork and your role!
  • Synergy with New Hires
  • Why new guys should buy the monkey AND wards
  • I'm the boss so I get to carry
  • You stack, I farm them
  • WifeQuitting Leave credits -> Why you only have 5 per year
  • Foul Language in the workplace

Island

So I have been playing LoL alot lately (bought the collectors pack!), but want to try HoN again after watching some of the DOTA2 streams.

The last time I played HoN, I played one match, and won. (I was Kraken and sucked) I liked it but didnt get any coins/stats or anything. I was playing a stats game too, but when the game ended I didnt get any scoreboard screen or anything, it just crashed me back to the main screen.

I also couldn't browse the store (kept saying I wasn't allowed?) or figure out how to join the GAF channel. I found the main screen to be incrediablly fugly and cumbersome even compared to LoL.

The crash at the end of my match was disheartining to say the least, but I would like to think it was a random occurance and want to try again.

Are these crashes common? I've never had a single issue with LoL, so HoN didnt leave a good impression.

Sorry about the rambling as I'm tired...

TL;DR Should I try HoN again?

Edit: Also a little miffed at their pricing scheme for F2P... almost want to buy a legacy account... but wont because you know... DOTA2

Hojaho

How's the pricing scheme for LoL ? Is it that good compared to HoN ?

I think you should give the game another chance. Last time I tried LoL, I had a 5h queue before being able to log on and try the game. It was disheartening to say the least. So LoL didn't leave a good impression as well.

Island

Hojaho said:
How's the pricing scheme for LoL ? Is it that good compared to HoN ?

I think you should give the game another chance. Last time I tried LoL, I had a 5h queue before being able to log on and try the game. It was disheartening to say the least. So LoL didn't leave a good impression as well.

The pricing scheme are similar, save up points from winning/losing buy heroes you like, etc.

The main difference is I can buy a "retail" copy that gives me a selection of heroes and some points to buy some cosmetic stuff.

I've only recently gotten into MOBA's and missed out on HoN before it went F2P. I have no problem buying a retail/collectors pack and they would get my money. Buying everything piecemeal? No thanks.

Hojaho

I've never check the store for F2P since I have a legacy account, but isn't there some sort of "pack" of heroes ?
Which should be pretty similar to the "selection of heroes" you got from your retail League of Legends.

If it's not the case, their loss.

Island

Cant even run HoN it seems. Double click the icon, and it does nothing. Shows up in my task manager, and cant kill it...

I'm too tired to troubleshoot it.... maybe later.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
kagete said:
Hohoho it's like HonGaf needs its own manager or HR rep to keep people from getting high blood pressure.

• Synergy with New Hires
  • You stack, I farm them
Sounds like you've got it all planned out Kage, maybe you should become our HR.

Island

Finally got it going. First match 4 of my teammates disconnect. "Sigh"

Pros: the graphics are nice. I can sense a good game underneath some of my challenges.

Cons:
I fight the interface everystep of the way.
Hitting play now does nothing but bring up some settings. If I really want to play now I have to click public games. This is counter intuitive.

How do you type in all during a match? /all does nothing. Things like this are minor annoyances.

The store is a mess. Im sure it makes sense for long time dota players but for noobs like me it makes no sense. (Even with a guide)

Not really a con but how do I join the Gaf channel?

Im still going to keep trying but it feels like a lot of work to get to the good stuff.

Typed on my phone please forgive grammatical/spelling mistakes

Edit: still can't access the store either

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
/join clan neogaf

Shift+Enter for all chat.

PLAY NOW is matchmaking. It isn't counter intuitive at all, you're fighting it every step of the way.

Store is currently bugged as all hell, so even using the guides, which should make things easier, isn't helping.

Meeru

Banned
kagete said:

• Synergy with New Hires
  • You stack, I farm them
Wifequitting counselor needed

Valygar

I'm starting to play well with plague rider... but i play horribly bad with everything else. I've tried several heroes, and I suck with the melee (strength) ones. I haven't tried to choose agility, as it is supposed to be more difficult. It seems I'm stuck with intelligence heroes :/ , I'll have too look for more noob friendly heroes in the internet.

In LoL if I sucked I could buy some 5 gold every 10 seconds, but here if I start sucking I don't have money whatsoever, and I only manage to buy two items of 500 gold, and then I suck even more. I'll stick with ranged heroes/ maybe try a jungle hero , and never again pick up a new hero without looking for a video guide or something.

Guesong

So concerning DotA2-HoN heroes...I found out who was whose equivalent most of the time, but there's a couple they showed I have no clue what's the HoN equivalent. (On a side note, I fear starting with HoN may have altered my perception in MOBA games forever...why the hell would I call Pestilence Sladzor or whatever the name was? Or Pharaoh Clockwerk? It's so random... Tbh I like HoN's designs better for the most part...anyhow)

But one burning question : Weaver is whose equivalent? Tidehunter? Viper? Dark Seer? Ancient Apparation?

Unless they're all DotA-exclusives so far, I just can't find the proper hero to match in HoN.

Neki

they're all dota exclusives.

madman's play style is similar to weaver, but weaver is 20x better.

viper's playstyle is similar to Arachna and they share similar q's and ultimates, but viper is way better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Guesong said:
But one burning question : Weaver is whose equivalent? Tidehunter? Viper? Dark Seer? Ancient Apparation?
Dota exclusive, along with Weaver, Enchantress and Nightstalker.

Neki

Meeru said:
Windrunner and Aluna share similiar skills. Drow Ranger and Arachna as well.
not really. Aluna and Windrunner share one skill. Windrunners other skills are superior to Aluna's. Drow Ranger also has CC, unlike Arachna, and her ultimate is farming tool. Arachna is much closer to Viper than Drow.

IceMarker

kagete said:

• Synergy with New Hires
  • You stack, I farm them
JfDTW.gif

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Supposedly these are the latest patch notes, free courier in Normal Mode now, also can't be used to refill bottle.

Version 2.1.4

The current Free Heroes have changed. The current available list is:
Soulstealer
Silhouette
Defiler
Gladiator
Tremble
Devourer
Pestilence
Magmus
Blacksmith
Pebbles
Rampage
Pollywog Priest
Nymphora
Andromeda

Vindicator

Fixed a duplicate bug with Guides
Ingame levelup effects now delayed slightly
Added spectator chat ignore checkbox in the Spec UI

Updated minimalist options for spec UI

Healing radius of the Wells increased to better match the actual water
Tree of Life and Sacrifical Shrine now have truesight

== NPCs ==

Fixed sound bug with the bad range(warlocks) NPCS death sound not playing.
Added death sounds to the good range(archers).
Kongor
Fixed the faction, non-player-controlled units giving the team 0 gold when they land the killing blow from Kongor.
Now if a non-player controlled unit lands the killing blow on Kongor, then it gives 230 gold to the team (before it was giving 0)

== Items ==

Re-ordered components for all recipe items so the most expensive items come first. This makes right clicking on an item in the store more useful and less dumb

All teams now start with a basic Ground Courier by default
Bottle is no longer refilled when held by a Courier
Shieldbreaker: Increased damage by 10 per level from 30/45/60 to 40/55/70 and ignore's the target's Deflection when you attack them
Deflection is the damage blocked by items like Helm of the Black Legion and Iron Shield
Alchemist Bones' timer is now paused while the hero is dead

== Heroes ==

Added a new Alt Avatar: Frost Rider

Arachna - Movespeed from 290 to 295

Dark Lady - Dark Blades cooldown from 22/18/14/10 to 16/14/12/10 - Charging Strikes cooldown from 21/17/13/9 to 15/13/11/9

Drunken Master - Drink rescaled to channel for 2 seconds, gaining 2/4/6/8 charges per second. Upon enemy death in 500 AoE, he gains 2/4/6/8 charges - Stagger deals 50% more damage to creeps

Gauntlet - Infernal Instability now gives 50% mana back if you do not attack anything.

Keeper of the Forest - Treant Dogs are now limited to 2/3/4/5 max. If you summon more than the max the oldest ones will automatically die - Treant Dogs can no longer attack Towers if they are more than 800 units away from the Keeper - Fixed scripting to be better

Magebane - Master of Mantra aura increased from 600 to 800

Monkey King - Starting Stength increased by 2 - Flying Nimbus activation removed. Is now a full passive with a 5 second cooldown that will automatically trigger when not taking damage

== Bugfixes ==

Andromeda - Fixed Aurora affector speed & lifetime so it matches the visuals

Dampeer - Fixed his Bloodthirst aura so it stacks with ^090Harkon's Blade, Webbed Shot and Master's Incantation

Defiler - Fixed a bug where she can super deny allies & herself

Demented Shaman - Fixed scripting so Unbreakable is more robust against odd frame situations (healing 2 times in 1 frame, etc.)

Doctor Repulsor - Fixed Opposite Charges so it plays the link - Optimized Magnetic Contraption a bit - Fixed Portal Key exploit

Drunken Master - Fixed the double-activate bug on Lunge where it can deal 2x the push and 2x the damage - Fixed Lunge bug where it was teleporting Drunken Master to (0,0) - Fixed Lunge bug when you play animations after dead (again) - Fixed Lunge's push affecting invulnerable units - Fixed Untouchable's "HIC!" sound not playing at the correct times on levels 1 & 2

Emerald Warden - Fixed a small visual bug where the large vine model was lingering too long at lower levels of Overgrowth - Fixed Gawain using Diving Strikes when he's dead - Fixed a super-duper rare bug where he gets glitched after respawn when Gawain attempts to use Forest's Touch on the same frame he dies

Empath - Now doesn't follow her last queued action after she gets out of someone - Fixed a visual bug where the wall visual was expiring 1 second before the real wall expired - Fixed Essence Link so it does DOT damage now

Engineer - Passing through the Energy Field will now automatically break channelling if it hits you - Made Spider Mines have 0 cast time

Legionnaire - Made Whirling Blade proc on fountain attacks - Fixed a small animation bug where he would still be in charging animation if the skill cancels via the distance check

Magmus - Fixed an issue with Eruption's idle animation and the effects

Moraxus - Made More Axes blockable via Arcane Shield and Untouchable

Myrmidon - Weed field now breaks Succubus' Mesmerize - Fixed a bug where Carp would stun you if you were rooted or immobilized and had a movement order queued up

Parasite - Fixed him teleporting to the target's location if the target dies before the Infest projectile impacts - Fixed the Parasite-Gauntlet ult bug

Pharaoh - Fixed a small spawn location bug with his Wrath of the Pharaoh if he turns 90 degrees; it now spawns in the correct position relative to Pharaoh & the target

Rhapsody - Fixed a bug where the DoT from Disco Inferno wasn't being applied if an enemy was stunned inside

Sand Wraith - Fixed his passive AOE triggering Nomad's ultimate and canceling Succubus' Mesmerize

Slither - Fixed a small issue with Poison Spray target cursor not highlighting the correct targets

Wretched Hag - Fixed an extremely rare bug with Bat Blast's cone visual

Island

Lyphen said:
/join clan neogaf

Shift+Enter for all chat.

PLAY NOW is matchmaking. It isn't counter intuitive at all, you're fighting it every step of the way.

Store is currently bugged as all hell, so even using the guides, which should make things easier, isn't helping.

Thanks for the info.

I still feel PLAY NOW is counter intuitive. I play LoL. Click Play, choose type of match, and I'm playing.

Most other games, clicking Play or Join now throws you in the matchmaking queue. In HoN I click Play Now, choose a bunch of options and then nothing. Clicking on Solo Queue, Multi Queue, Play Now. No matchmaking.

Maybe my client is bugged? Or am I missing something?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Island said:
Thanks for the info.

I still feel PLAY NOW is counter intuitive. I play LoL. Click Play, choose type of match, and I'm playing.

Most other games, clicking Play or Join now throws you in the matchmaking queue. In HoN I click Play Now, choose a bunch of options and then nothing. Clicking on Solo Queue, Multi Queue, Play Now. No matchmaking.

Maybe my client is bugged? Or am I missing something?

Did you try hitting the solo button?

Play now --> Solo--> done

Island

Procarbine said:
Did you try hitting the solo button?

Play now --> Solo--> done

I hit Solo, a message comes up saying finding matchmaking or something and then nothing. Is there supposed to be a timer or a queue light or something? Cuz it does nothing. I've let it sit for 10+ mins and it doesnt do anything.

Edit: I've reinstalled twice. I have no problems joining games under public matches.

bzm

Ultimoo said:
not really. Aluna and Windrunner share one skill. Windrunners other skills are superior to Aluna's. Drow Ranger also has CC, unlike Arachna, and her ultimate is farming tool. Arachna is much closer to Viper than Drow.
Power throw is basically the same as windrunners power shot, aluna's deja vu(i think thats what its called?) gives movespeed, unitwalking, and slows, which is close enough to windrunners. Shackle shot and alunas stun arent that similar but they fill the roll of stunning 2+ targets or w/e. and the +as from aluna stun is kinda like windrunner ulti?

Neki

aluna is just a dumbed down version of windrunner basically. windrunner also carries better, and her wind run is also infinitely better than deja vu.

Kapura

Banned
Implying using Aluna is easier than using windrunner? Emerald lightning is so much more harder to control than shackle shot.

Dreavus

Guesong said:
So concerning DotA2-HoN heroes...I found out who was whose equivalent most of the time, but there's a couple they showed I have no clue what's the HoN equivalent. (On a side note, I fear starting with HoN may have altered my perception in MOBA games forever...why the hell would I call Pestilence Sladzor or whatever the name was? Or Pharaoh Clockwerk? It's so random... Tbh I like HoN's designs better for the most part...anyhow)

Unless they're all DotA-exclusives so far, I just can't find the proper hero to match in HoN.

Haha, that's kind of cool actually. I think if we get people calling Clockwerk "Pharaoh" in Dota 2, we'll have come full circle! Given the initial (and continuing) prevalence of Dota terms being used in HoN, it's somehow fitting if it happens back the other way when HoN players jump into Dota.

Meeru

Banned
Ultimoo said:
aluna is just a dumbed down version of windrunner basically. windrunner also carries better, and her wind run is also infinitely better than deja vu.
aluna can stun more than 2 heroes, can throw across the whole map, can disjoint spells (twice from her deja vu).

Neki

Meeru said:
aluna can stun more than 2 heroes, can throw across the whole map, can disjoint spells (twice from her deja vu).
I'll say that Windrunner carries better than Aluna and supports better. We really can't compare this though, because they'll both never be in the same game though. so opinions gonna be opinions basically.

Pkaz01

This game is worse than gambling, you either end up a decent team and win or you end up with idiots and lose. Rarely do you even get a good team vs a good team. Just click matchmaking and hope you arent with the idiots this time.

Card Boy

Banned
Pkaz01 said:
This game is worse than gambling, you either end up a decent team and win or you end up with idiots and lose. Rarely do you even get a good team vs a good team. Just click matchmaking and hope you arent with the idiots this time.

Just stick with Gaffers then.

I think the game does a better job at matching you than what LoL does, once you go to ELO Hell you never see the light unless you get carried out.

delirium

liltony822 said:
So are most of you guys moving on to Dota 2 or are just sticking to HoN?
I'll play both and continue to play the game that ends up being more enjoyable. If both end up being fun to play, I don't see why I can't play both.

kagete

HON is already available and tons of GAFfers are playing it nightly. Aside from noob-friendliness, it already has all the features that everyone has on the wishlist for DOTA2. We don't know if valve will keep DOTA2 in the oven until it's competitive, feature-wise, or if they'll release it with 1/2 to 2/3 of the heroes and features that HON has right now and just fill in the rest over several years.

I only have so much free time for games every night so I'm going to have to commit to a single game at one point in the future. There's also the chance that Diablo3 will be so good that it will consume my life. I was thinking guildwars2 could do that for me but the more videos I watch for it, the less hyped I get.

TUSR

Banned
Island said:
Cant even run HoN it seems. Double click the icon, and it does nothing. Shows up in my task manager, and cant kill it...

I'm too tired to troubleshoot it.... maybe later.
You can't end its process? I find that really hard to believe, sorry.

Meeru

Banned
kagete said:
HON is already available and tons of GAFfers are playing it nightly. Aside from noob-friendliness, it already has all the features that everyone has on the wishlist for DOTA2. We don't know if valve will keep DOTA2 in the oven until it's competitive, feature-wise, or if they'll release it with 1/2 to 2/3 of the heroes and features that HON has right now and just fill in the rest over several years.

I only have so much free time for games every night so I'm going to have to commit to a single game at one point in the future. There's also the chance that Diablo3 will be so good that it will consume my life. I was thinking guildwars2 could do that for me but the more videos I watch for it, the less hyped I get.
Diablo2 sucked my life out of me. Diablo3 will do the same..so I won't buy it. The problem with diablo games is that you only can get better items through monster drops..which means you have to play more to get a better chance. I don't have that kind of time..if only I was still single. Dota 2 and Tribes:Ascend will prolly be the two games Ill play.

Island

Squire Felix said:
You can't end its process? I find that really hard to believe, sorry.

I've already figured it out thanks. My anti-virus wasnt approving hon.exe and wasnt giving me the prompt for access.

And no, I couldn't end the process thru taskman. Taskkill didnt work either. So I'm sorry you find it hard to believe but it happened.

Still cant solo queue though. Says "initializing your connection to the matchmaking system" and then nothing.

EDIT: So I created a new account as people on the forums were having the same issue. My new account can solo queue just fine. /sigh

Concept17

Does anyone know of any good videos to watch for beginners? I've been doing fairly well, and really its that I can only play a couple rounds a night that makes it difficult, but there are certainly some things I'm not understanding yet. I know all the basics, and can do pretty well with certain heroes, but there just seems to be a few layers to the game that I have yet to learn.

Top Bottom