• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

kagete

NukeDukem said:
Path of destruction is not a skillshot, it's the one of the easiest skill to dodge once you hear Amun-Ra casting it.

:| people are animation-canceling it already and the AOE is quite big. Plus a Ra usually farms boots and/or a helm before most heroes get their boots so its not the easiest gank to avoid.

Played HoN for the first time last night. I spent quite a while hooked on DOTA and then stopped for a couple of years. I tried LoL a few months ago and thought it was good but ultimately pretty different from DOTA in some respects - plus the freemium shit was annoying.

So created an account and downloaded the client last night. First thing I noticed was some shit to do with verified accounts. I wanted to create a practice game and invite a friend (also new to the game) so we could wrap our head around the mechanics. What exactly is a verified account and how do I get one?

Using the follow friend function - we got into a 'beginners only game' where upon my friend and I were put on seperate teams (I see there is a way to lock people to a team) so I know for next time. I could only choose from a handful heroes (really annoying mechanic) and while I'm not sure what my heroes name was, he was a strength hero - a complete clone of Abaddon from DOTA.

Needless to say, the game plays exactly like DOTA with nicer graphics, better sound effects and a vastly improved item system. Universal hotkeys made me jizz also. That said - the art style on some heroes is unusual to say the least. Nearly all of the heroes in the game were huge, my friend got some amazon looking INT lady hero, who just looked terrible. I seemed to have an issue where my sound effects would skip "the l-l-l-l-legion has lost a tower" - is there a common fix for this? Perhaps it is my hardware (not a fantastic PC).

I'd like an honest opinion on the pro/cons of LoL for anyone that knows? I like the last-hit/deny mechanics of DOTA which I believe I was told LoL does not have. However I think I prefer the design and graphics of LoL over HoN - if only because it's more bright design. When I was playing as my Abbadon clone last night I found it difficult to know what was going down with regards to spells/ultimates etc. Even my own fire-shield spell was difficult to see - at least compared to aphotic shield on the original Abbadon.

Overall I'm impressed - I was expecting a cheap knockoff - and outside of the questionable hero design, I was pleasantly surprised at just how nice it played.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Another GAFer and I started playing last night. Does anyone have a good link to what the best free heroes would be to play with?

Also should we join the GAF channel?

Meeru

Banned
Jeebus so many new gaffers. It's amazing..like the timing was impeccable. After I get married, hordes of gaffers come join HoN..

Valygar

Just to clarify, I'm Duerkos/Duerukosu and I'm not Meeru's wife :p

I had some good games tonight, I went to sleep after Anbokr wiped me in mid but at least I tried. I managed to do good last hits and denies, but my knowledge of the heroes is not enough :/.

This week we have free easy heroes for the new members of gaf to try. Vindicator is veery easy, the only crucial spell is the ulti to silence the whole enemy team (when they initiate or your team initiates). Pollywog Priest is also very good, you have 2 disables and a nice combo with the ulti (you press r and then try to grab an enemy with e). I've also liked Nymphora, very nice support hero with a heal, area stun, and a teleport as ulti useful for ganking/push/whatever.

The only one I didnt like so much is Blacksmith, probably cause he's melee and I still suck at lasthitting/deny with them.

And I recommend to buy Plague Rider as your first hero. Very straight forward skills, and the ulti is very cheap, you pop that in a teamfight and you will probably kill at least one and most likely win it.

Vanillalite

Valygar said:
Just to clarify, I'm Duerkos/Duerukosu and I'm not Meeru's wife :p

I had some good games tonight, I went to sleep after Anbokr wiped me in mid but at least I tried. I managed to do good last hits and denies, but my knowledge of the heroes is not enough :/.

This week we have free easy heroes for the new members of gaf to try. Vindicator is veery easy, the only crucial spell is the ulti to silence the whole enemy team (when they initiate or your team initiates). Pollywog Priest is also very good, you have 2 disables and a nice combo with the ulti (you press r and then try to grab an enemy with e). I've also liked Nymphora, very nice support hero with a heal, area stun, and a teleport as ulti useful for ganking/push/whatever.

The only one I didnt like so much is Blacksmith, probably cause he's melee and I still suck at lasthitting/deny with them.

And I recommend to buy Plague Rider as your first hero. Very straight forward skills, and the ulti is very cheap, you pop that in a teamfight and you will probably kill at least one and most likely win it.

Thanks for the tip on heroes! I'll try one of those out in a bit!

Blacksmith is very skill and mana-dependent. Use your Flaming Hammer first, since it has a longer range and lowers their Magic Armor so that Fireball does more damage. Also, his ult requires a bit of luck.

Vanillalite

Freakinchair said:
Shoulda joined right away! We don't mind noobies.

I joined and someone said hello to me!

I used the tips above and picked Vindicator... and we won our 1st match! I'm always scared to join a game though being a newb. Afraid I'm gonna kill it for our team. :(

Card Boy

Banned
Stripper13 said:
So what's the difference between HON/LOL - with regards to mechanics, lobby/UI and freemium content?

Mechanics wise HoN is based on DOTA, 60% off the heroes are straight out of DOTA with name changes and looks, 85% of the items are the same as DOTA

Map wise
* HoN is carbon copy of DoTA, just models are different
* LoL has a bush system where you can hide in bushes and stay invisible, and set up ambushes or escape to them
* HoN like DOTA uses trees, you can chop em down, clear a path, use them for health, or weapons or skills
* Like DOTA1/2 HoN has a rune system that spawns in the river (powerups) that grant temporary buffs (LoL does not)
* HoN has secret shops on the map or whatever they are called, LoL does not

Skills/Stats/items/Heroes
* HoN like like DOTA uses STR, INT and AGI system for stats
* LoL uses a different system, but when you go down to movement speed, lifesteal, MP/HP regen they are similar
* All HoN's/Dotas Heroes use Mana for skills
* There are some heroes in LoL that are manaless and use Cooldowns, Blood, Fury or Energy (different to mana) to cast spells
* Each Hero in LoL also has a unique passive skill than is default at level 1 and you can't level up
* LoL has Summoner spells (like God powers) that you chose before a match
* LoL has a Mastery system (Think like a Borderlands skill tree)
* LoL has a rune system that adds stats that you have to buy (with in game currency)
* LoL has an item that gives free portals back to base, a summoner spells allows ports to ally Towers or creeps
* HoN can port, but you have to buy a consumable item, can only port to base and ally towers, not creeps.
* Like DoTA, HoN has couriers that can transport items from base to you. The couriers can die.

Lobby/UI/Modes
* HoN has every customizable option for a public server you can think of
* LoL is barebones in custom match with barely anything
* You can play with no leavers in HoN
* HoN has a spectator and replay mode
* LoL doesn't have an official one yet
* HoN has voice chat
* LoL's Matchmaking is faster (due to move players)
* HoN has ingame guides and builds for Heroes
* HoN has a full stats system, LoL is barebones
* HoN has a normal classic DOTA mode (gold lost on death, lower exp and gold gain), a Casual mode (basically like LoL, faster exp and gold, no gold lost on death, denys don't do much), and a Public game mode (customizable mode, with options for No Stats, Duplicate heroes, No STR heroes, dev heroes, and many many other stuff)

Other stuff
* You get 15 free heroes a week with HoN, 10 with LoL
* Free HoN players get tokens to play, so you have a limit on how much you can play (Legacy players are unlimited). LoL is unlimited
* You can't creep deny or tower deny in LoL

Styles

My god, during late game a good Kraken ult determines a teams win or loss. :/ Unfortunately I was in the team without Kraken!

Much appreciated!

I must say - HON sounds quite a bit better overall. No denying hurt LOL quite a bit I think, also less heroes for free players. What concerns me is the play tokens for HON. What is that?

Also, I'm guessing you 'buy' heroes to use in both games. Is there in game cash? Ideally I don't want to 'have' to spend my real money for anything in either game - and I'd like the prices/income for fake-money to be reasonable - so that I don't have to play 4000 matches to afford a hero.

Card Boy

Banned
Stripper13 said:
Also, I'm guessing you 'buy' heroes to use in both games. Is there in game cash? Ideally I don't want to 'have' to spend my real money for anything in either game - and I'd like the prices/income for fake-money to be reasonable - so that I don't have to play 4000 matches to afford a hero.

Yeah you can be a 'froob' if you wish and buy heroes with in game currency, but this takes ages. There are some cheap heroes to own. You can also buy skins with in game currency, LoL is only with real money. Both have options to buy with real money aswell.

Gez said:
Yeah you can be a 'froob' if you wish and buy heroes with in game currency, but this takes ages. There are some cheap heroes to own. You can also buy skins with in game currency, LoL is only with real money. Both have options to buy with real money aswell.
Froob?

Free + noob?

Does the Community look down on people who don't want to pay for anything? I really like the fact that DOTA was as easy as installing wc3 and downloading a map - none of the paid shit interests me in the slightest given that the original is still so easily available.

Card Boy

Banned
Stripper13 said:
Froob?

Free + noob?

Does the Community look down on people who don't want to pay for anything? I really like the fact that DOTA was as easy as installing wc3 and downloading a map - none of the paid shit interests me in the slightest given that the original is still so easily available.

Yeah froob is was an anarchy online term back in the day.

You can play with Basic and Verified people, and make it so you don't play with Basic account people. New accounts are basic, soon as you spend money or reach a certain level then you become a Verifield user, it's basically the same thing as a Basic person and is used to filter out the trolls and smurfs.

Gez said:
Yeah froob is was an anarchy online term back in the day.

You can play with Basic and Verified people, and make it so you don't play with Basic account people. New accounts are basic, soon as you spend money or reach a certain level then you become a Verifield user, it's basically the same thing as a Basic person and is used to filter out the trolls and smurfs.
Thanks for all your help Gez, I appreciate it.

bzm

Gez said:
Map wise
No, hon map has quite a few differences around the kongor area. Ramps into base are wider, more stuff like that.

Stripper13 said:
Much appreciated!

I must say - HON sounds quite a bit better overall. No denying hurt LOL quite a bit I think, also less heroes for free players. What concerns me is the play tokens for HON. What is that?

The tokens are single use passes you can use to play a different mode other than All Pick, without being limited to playing with the free heroes only.

In the game, you can play matchmaking for coins. You can save these up to buy heroes, so you technically don't have to spend a dime on heroes. It would take some time to buy them all, but I suppose that's the F2P model for you. If you enjoy the game and play a lot, you'll be able to buy quite a few heroes without too much trouble, and they all have different prices so you'd be surprised at what you can afford.

NukeDukem said:
stripper13 what in your ingame name? ill host more games to play with you if you'd like
In game name is stripper13.

However I likely won't be online for about 8 hours or so - as I'm at work (Australian).

IceMarker

Hey Nome if you're still lurking the thread can I get my name changed from xMrMister to `MrMister? I really don't feel like getting coins just to pay for a change as small as that.

Conceptor

blKEo.jpg

Just disappointed

kinger256

Was bored so I tried a game with carry myrmidon going charged hammer and midas. Failed but not a bad carry as people make it out to be. Pseudo blink and 225 magic damage are pretty nice.

Anilusion

Gez said:
Mechanics wise HoN is based on DOTA, 60% off the heroes are straight out of DOTA with name changes and looks, 85% of the items are the same as DOTA

Map wise
* LoL has a bush system where you can hide in bushes and stay invisible, and set up ambushes or escape to them
* HoN like DOTA uses trees, you can chop em down, clear a path, use them for health, or weapons or skills
* Like DOTA1/2 HoN has a rune system that spawns in the river (powerups) that grant temporary buffs (LoL does not)
* HoN has secret shops on the map or whatever they are called, LoL does not

Skills/Stats/items/Heroes
* HoN like like DOTA uses STR, INT and AGI system for stats
* LoL uses a different system, but when you go down to movement speed, lifesteal, MP/HP regen they are similar
* All HoN's/Dotas Heroes use Mana for skills
* There are some heroes in LoL that are manaless and use Cooldowns, Blood, Fury or Energy (different to mana) to cast spells
* Each Hero in LoL also has a unique passive skill than is default at level 1 and you can't level up
* LoL has Summoner spells (like God powers) that you chose before a match
* LoL has a Mastery system (Think like a Borderlands skill tree)
* LoL has a rune system that adds stats that you have to buy (with in game currency)
* LoL has an item that gives free portals back to base, a summoner spells allows ports to ally Towers or creeps
* HoN can port, but you have to buy a consumable item, can only port to base and ally towers, not creeps.
* Like DoTA, HoN has couriers that can transport items from base to you. The couriers can die.

Lobby/UI/Modes
* HoN has every customizable option for a public server you can think of
* LoL is barebones in custom match with barely anything
* You can play with no leavers in HoN
* HoN has a spectator and replay mode
* LoL doesn't have an official one yet
* HoN has voice chat
* LoL's Matchmaking is faster (due to move players)
* HoN has ingame guides and builds for Heroes
* HoN has a full stats system, LoL is barebones
* HoN has a normal classic DOTA mode (gold lost on death, lower exp and gold gain), a Casual mode (basically like LoL, faster exp and gold, no gold lost on death, denys don't do much), and a Public game mode (customizable mode, with options for No Stats, Duplicate heroes, No STR heroes, dev heroes, and many many other stuff)

Other stuff
* You get 15 free heroes a week with HoN, 10 with LoL
* Free HoN players get tokens to play, so you have a limit on how much you can play (Legacy players are unlimited). LoL is unlimited
* You can't creep deny or tower deny in LoL

Wrong. You can buy tokens to be able to play heroes you do not own. They don't restrict how much you play in any way.

Phandy

kinger256 said:
Was bored so I tried a game with carry myrmidon going charged hammer and midas. Failed but not a bad carry as people make it out to be. Pseudo blink and 225 magic damage are pretty nice.

Ive played a couple of games recently where I stacked up a load of early game kills as myrmidon, so decided to not play support. I LOVE playing him with a really heavy tank build. He has such amazing survivability, with escape, ult and a tonne of tanking items. Its really fun.

Meeru

Banned
Lyphen said:
Had no idea the community made stuff like this. Reaction to new shop was hilarious.
Hes pretty much the only one. He made 7 total now, all of them hilarious. He also helps make the HoN hero showcases

Volodja

Brettison said:
Thanks to the GAFers that let me join in on a 5v5 match last night! Sorry I sucked so bad, but I'm trying to learn!
Same here, thanks to everyone involved in the inhouses yesterday, especially the ones that took the time to give me tips, much appreciated.

Tried playing matchmaking solo today, 2 disastrous losses were the result. Maybe I should choose an hero that requires less knowledge of the game instead of keeping on playing only Andromeda.

Vanillalite

On a side note I just tried to get on, and I couldn't get in. I logged in, and got the 2.1.5 patch, but I can't get connected to the servers. I also couldn't browse their forums either.

I assume the servers are down or is it a me problem?

Guesong

Volodja said:
Same here, thanks to everyone involved in the inhouses yesterday, especially the ones that took the time to give me tips, much appreciated.

Tried playing matchmaking solo today, 2 disastrous losses were the result. Maybe I should choose an hero that requires less knowledge of the game instead of keeping on playing only Andromeda.

To be fair, no hero "requires less knowledge of the game". Knowledge of the game and of each hero is a great benefit to have as an HoN player, one that you have to acquire.

Just try messing around with each hero as to slowly learn what they are capable off ; most of the time, it's not about who you're playing as, but who you are playing against that is the most important.

Brettison said:
On a side note I just tried to get on, and I couldn't get in. I logged in, and got the 2.1.5 patch, but I can't get connected to the servers. I also couldn't browse their forums either.

I assume the servers are down or is it a me problem?
Servers were just a bit wonky earlier today. To be expected if a lot of people come on, and especially since this weekend is a double coin event.

Conceptor

Guesong said:
Ehhhhhhh we told you to come back, I have no idea where MrMister got the idea that "everyone on Mumble agreed".

Ah okay. Sorry for just going offline but I hope you understand where I was coming from.

So mrmr, I gotta ask you; what exactly gave you the notion that 'everyone' agreed? Was it too much for you to ask me to simply spectate before just moving me? That's my gripe, really.

I realize that it's a super piss off that I happen to disconnect at the start of IH games, but I sure as hell don't it on purpose. I don't know what it is about HoN that doesn't agree with my computer because my connection is fine and my computer is able to handle more gpu/cpu intensive games without problem. Regardless, I hope a 30 second pause isn't too much for ask for from you guys in the future :( (that's usually my only problem as far hon goes lol, i'm fine once i'm in)

bzm

Gez said:
I do decent with MB. I'm just saying i suck in general.
Honestly, while magebane (or tdl or chronos, for that matter) might seem like an easy hero, you really need to be able to pull 400gpm or higher to be useful, which is harder than it sounds.

edit: out of curiosity, conceptor, what brand of chocolate is your pc made out of?

Meeru

Banned
Conceptor said:
Ah okay. Sorry for just going offline but I hope you understand where I was coming from.

So mrmr, I gotta ask you; what exactly gave you the notion that 'everyone' agreed? Was it too much for you to ask me to simply spectate before just moving me? That's my gripe, really.

I realize that it's a super piss off that I happen to disconnect at the start of IH games, but I sure as hell don't it on purpose. I don't know what it is about HoN that doesn't agree with my computer because my connection is fine and my computer is able to handle more gpu/cpu intensive games without problem. Regardless, I hope a 30 second pause isn't too much for ask for from you guys in the future :( (that's usually my only problem as far hon goes lol, i'm fine once i'm in)
That's hyomin right?

Top Bottom