• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Ok thank you. So in the chest i could unlock even Heroes? So its better to open them and After choose the free bundle, right? Better to use Gold ti unlock more Heroes or to reroll? Ty

Yes, you can unlock heroes from chests but some heroes have different rarity value.

For instance new heroes like Cassia or Probius are considered legendary where older heroes can go from epic to rare. Typically this can be considered of what the heroes gold value is currently.

For instance a 10-15k gold hero will be considered legendary where a 7k hero will be epic, 4k rare and 2k common.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do you guys have a bundle plan yet? I take it the veterans have most if not all the roster anyway.

Im looking at 8 heroes I dont own from both the assassins and tanks bundles, 6 from the support and only 5 from the flex. As someone who likes to play everything I guess the best bang for my buck is one of the 8s, and the tank one is much more appealing (assassins are my least favorite of the roles, even if...Valla is my highest lvl hero lol). The one assassin I do want is also in the tank bundle, Alarak.

Support has the most heroes I actually want, aka the 3 healers im missing (Morales, Auriel and Lucio) but the value isnt the same. Im thinking I go with the tank one and then just buy the 3 healers with gold.

I love it when my team lets me last pick KT against Samuro <3

SCcAXDl.jpg

Maledict

Yes, you can unlock heroes from chests but some heroes have different rarity value.

For instance new heroes like Cassia or Probius are considered legendary where older heroes can go from epic to rare. Typically this can be considered of what the heroes gold value is currently.

For instance a 10-15k gold hero will be considered legendary where a 7k hero will be epic, 4k rare and 2k common.

Do we have a source on what rarety different heroes are? I couldn't tell from the in game client.

Zackat

Do you guys have a bundle plan yet? I take it the veterans have most if not all the roster anyway.

Im looking at 8 heroes I dont own from both the assassins and tanks bundles, 6 from the support and only 5 from the flex. As someone who likes to play everything I guess the best bang for my buck is one of the 8s, and the tank one is much more appealing (assassins are my least favorite of the roles, even if...Valla is my highest lvl hero lol). The one assassin I do want is also in the tank bundle, Alarak.

Support has the most heroes I actually want, aka the 3 healers im missing (Morales, Auriel and Lucio) but the value isnt the same. Im thinking I go with the tank one and then just buy the 3 healers with gold.

I think the max I can get from any bundle is 4 heroes. Will probably just take that one since I just buy most of the heroes I want. I am sitting on about 50k gold as well, so I am just a dirty whale.

Feels good man.

Gothos

I played my first game as Rexxar yesterday and I though he sucked. Played a bit more today and last 4 games - 4 wins and 2 MVPs :) He's a fucking beast :D Last game I had 1500hp Animal Husbandry buff :D

Alur

oh I really enjoyed this game I did with Auriel. Is she considered any good?

She's pretty dece and she's getting one of the best skins in the game when 2.0 launches.

Here's a preview of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXwo3mUAxc

sogood.gif

edit: also Alur, before you ask (not that you were going to), but no im not going full hog like 2 years ago, I actually want to pace myself out more and play more casually this time around, and im also not going to be buying every hero and skin on sale as I used to, because just the cold hard truth the ol' financial situation isnt what it used to be lol. Lunara is on sale right now and I didnt buy her for example :p

I am however, increasingly more excited to be playing again.

edit 2: speaking of Lunara, we had a Lunara on a previous game and she seemed...cool? She kept pouncing on people and killing them.

That's the best approach. The game is just too frustrating if you play it daily for extended stretches. The inevitable losing streaks stick out way more than the times you're winning.

Lunara is pretty good and fun to play. Dread was telling folks at the summit he thinks she is low key becoming the most OP hero in the game as other heroes get nerfed but her power level stays the same. I dunno that I'd pick her up before 2.0, but I'd pick her up for sure at some point.

Listening to the latest Into The Nexus and I'm finding it absolutely RICH that Garrett is asking Jeff what it's like as the "resident low league player" when Garrett has never made it out of gold league as far as I know. Kyle must have been biting his tongue with a zinger of epic proportions, I know I would have been. This is one of the many reasons I'd be an awful podcast host I guess.

Believe it or not, Garrett has worked his way into Diamond in QM and Unranked Draft. He's legit Diamond in Unranked, though his QM is helped by Barrett resetting QM MMR every new season for whatever reason, taking the threshold from Diamond down from 2700 prior to Season 1 to 2200 now. He's Plat in HL and TL.

Here's his profile: https://www.hotslogs.com/Player/Profile?PlayerID=172226

I do still agree with you, though. It is kind of rich coming from him, lol. He's not quite Scott level in his information, but there's a big gap there between him and Kyle IMO in regards to knowledge and understanding and Kyle is only at our level.

Alur

There is a GAF discord. It's listed in the b.net tag sheet if you quote the OP.

No one uses the discord or the GAF channel much. Channels don't show in game unless you manually force them to, and most people don't know that. The discord gets used occasionally, but even less so now that you can just use the voice client attached to b.net.

EDIT: people should feel free to hop in there and use it as a chat client though

Internets

Ranked on the weekends is spicy. More especially in Team League.

Literally Bronze players on your team, vs Diamonds/Masters on the enemy team. Unplayable and unwinnable. Matchmaking is beyond horrible. Although, this is probably due to low number of players. Hopefully 2.0 brings in more a lot more players. Best to avoid ranked on the weekends, unless you got a team of 5.

Alur

Team League will kind of end up like that weekend or no. It's just trying to balance the teams out, but it goes pear shaped if your potatoes are actually really potatoes. Not much you can do in those scenarios unfortunately. I do think some of it is a lack of people playing that mode, though. It has always been the least used by far.

scoobs

She's pretty dece and she's getting one of the best skins in the game when 2.0 launches.

Here's a preview of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXwo3mUAxc

sogood.gif

That's the best approach. The game is just too frustrating if you play it daily for extended stretches. The inevitable losing streaks stick out way more than the times you're winning.

Lunara is pretty good and fun to play. Dread was telling folks at the summit he thinks she is low key becoming the most OP hero in the game as other heroes get nerfed but her power level stays the same. I dunno that I'd pick her up before 2.0, but I'd pick her up for sure at some point.

Believe it or not, Garrett has worked his way into Diamond in QM and Unranked Draft. He's legit Diamond in Unranked, though his QM is helped by Barrett resetting QM MMR every new season for whatever reason, taking the threshold from Diamond down from 2700 prior to Season 1 to 2200 now. He's Plat in HL and TL.

Here's his profile: https://www.hotslogs.com/Player/Profile?PlayerID=172226

I do still agree with you, though. It is kind of rich coming from him, lol. He's not quite Scott level in his information, but there's a big gap there between him and Kyle IMO in regards to knowledge and understanding and Kyle is only at our level.

Interesting looking at all the podcasters MMRs, was a little surprised mine is actually higher than Kyles too across the board pretty much.

I'm seriously concerned about high skilled Genjis, its going to be scary.

Alur

Interesting looking at all the podcasters MMRs, was a little surprised mine is actually higher than Kyles too across the board pretty much.

That's why I complain about ITN every few weeks. You'd think he was some unassailable god of HOTS knowledge and psychological insight but he's really just on par or not even quite on par with quite a few folks in this thread alone. I guess in a way we're not the target audience, but they also said that part of the reason it's good for Cannatta to be on is to provide perspective on lower MMR stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Scoobs were you saying people shouldn't level heroes now before the patch?

Not even to 5 for the 500g?

scoobs

I mean kyle is 2800-2900 MMR which is definitely way above average, I just figured he was closer to ~3300 where the legitimately great players lie. Its whatever though, I think his advice is still sound for the average player, i don't actually take any of his advice so much as I like to see if I agree with him. Sometimes he's on point, others not so much. Also he can't pronounce Hanimura or Shuriken correctly and its triggering me.

And ya, I think the best strategy would be to save all your gold and don't level any heroes because leveling a hero on Tuesday = 1 free loot box. So basically by leveling to 5 now, you're trading 500g for a loot box which may contain a free hero, legendary skins worth ~$15, shards to create skins of your choice, or whatever. Its not a huge deal though, missing one loot box probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, its up to you. If you're a min-maxer like me, then i'd avoid buying anything or leveling anything until Tuesday.

Rhaknar

Watching pallytime play Q Gul'Dan (as opposed to corruption build) and it seems super fun, hes just spamming that Q all the time.

Might be the first mage I actually enjoy.

Edit: wait if skin color variations are seperate skins now (for loot box purposes and whatnot) does that mean that legendary skin colors are also seperate? Because thats not very nice.

Alur

Edit: wait if skin color variations are seperate skins now (for loot box purposes and whatnot) does that mean that legendary skin colors are also seperate? Because thats not very nice.

Yes, but it also means you can acquire them cheaper and/or easier. In general, there's usually only one or two tints for each skin or mount I care about anyway. YMMV of course.

EDIT: Worth adding that if you are still planning on spending any money on the game and like more than one tint of a skin, it's probably worth just buying it outright when it's on sale for gems for a week or two before it becomes loot box only. Same with heroes and mounts, of course. Though if you get enough shards out of your loot boxes, you might be able to forgo that for a while and just craft what you want.

Rhaknar

Yes, but it also means you can acquire them cheaper and/or easier. In general, there's usually only one or two tints for each skin or mount I care about anyway. YMMV of course.

EDIT: Worth adding that if you are still planning on spending any money on the game and like more than one tint of a skin, it's probably worth just buying it outright when it's on sale for gems for a week or two before it becomes loot box only. Same with heroes and mounts, of course. Though if you get enough shards out of your loot boxes, you might be able to forgo that for a while and just craft what you want.

Im not that fussed and it doesnt even bother me in OW, I guess its just going from one system to the other. One thing I was mistaken about tho is that apparently you get loot boxes every level? I thought it was every 5 hero levels.

Alur

Im not that fussed and it doesnt even bother me in OW, I guess its just going from one system to the other. One thing I was mistaken about tho is that apparently you get loot boxes every level? I thought it was every 5 hero levels.

Every level. Every time a hero you play goes up a level, you get a box. That's why you shouldn't level anyone til Tuesday (or Wednesday for you). Like if you buy a hero today and level them from 1-5, you just passed on 5 of the easiest/quickest loot boxes to get. On the bright side, all the levels are much smaller now and even your level 10 heroes won't be too much of a pain to level after the patch.

Rhaknar

The Heroes 2.0 launch thread on reddit sums it all up for you, my wording may have confused sorry!

Nah dude, it wasnt you. Ive been thinking it was every 5 levels for weeks since watching that announcement video.

Im dumb :/

Edit: that being said, that thread is fantastic in displaying the 2.0 information so thank you.

Edit: shiiiiiiiiit theres special veteran loot boxes for us old timers and a free 30day stimpack?

Edit: weird in the faq section is says you should open the mega bundle first and not the chests because the chests can drop heroes... so doesnt that mean you should open the chests first to better judge which bundle to get? Unless repeat heroes cant drop from the loot boxes, which I highly doubt.

Alur

IMO you should open the chests first and then see what you need. I haven't seen a compelling reason to do it the other way, unless you just really wanted to increase the amount of shards you could potentially receive. With the amount of chests we're getting and rerolls I dunno if it really matters, though.

scoobs

I'm gonna get so many shards. I own probably 80-90% of the skins and mounts in this game, gonna be swimming in shards

Rhaknar

IMO you should open the chests first and then see what you need. I haven't seen a compelling reason to do it the other way, unless you just really wanted to increase the amount of shards you could potentially receive. With the amount of chests we're getting and rerolls I dunno if it really matters, though.

Thats what I thought aswell.

Ketch

You should buy the mega bundle first because it's only 100 gems.

As long as the heros your needing from the bundles aren't like super cheap heroes.... like if you even just get one 10k hero from a bundle, and then get that hero in a box right after that's 400 shards for 100 gems.

Unless you're a new player whose only getting like a hand full of boxes and your missing a ton of heroes.. in that case you should open your few boxes and then by the bundle which has the most missing heroes.

scoobs

I think she's pretty good, I just don't think shes very fun to play in comparison to her counterparts, so we're not seeing as much of her in the meta as a result.

I think we might see her in pro games though, she does some really amazing damage. Once the Hero Leaguers out there see her in pro play I'm sure she'll start to show up

Prelude.

Man, they announced the 2.0 stuff waaay too early. Excluding brawls, I haven't played since then, but we're almost there. (+ EU delay)

Alur

Listening to ITN and they were talking about Genji and the heroic conversation kinda baffled me. Kyle is concerned pros are pushing Dragonblade which will make us plebs use it and it's the not the "safe" heroic, compared to X-Strike. What streams/videos I had watched had people suggesting X-Strike, though, but that may have changed since last Tues/Wed. Garrett agreed with Kyle (shocker) and suggested people use X-Strike when they start Genji.

I'm right about ~30 games in on Genji and I've found it the opposite, though.

On paper Dragonblade seems worse to me, and X-Strike seems way better. In action, however, X-Strike is a pretty hard skill to land because it requires CC otherwise you can just walk right out of it. Dragonblade, on the other hand, gets mega value because people clump up like crazy in pleb games and you can just slash slash slash. Now, obviously, you can be stunned and have Dragonblade negated and that's partially why they suggest X-Strike. They seem to neglect the fact that Dragonblade still allows you to use your Swift Strike and Jump abilities to either aid you in your chase or escape if you get in too deep.

Just seems to me the easier ability to get maximum value out of is Dragonblade. X-Strike looks cool as shit, but it is certainly hard to land. Taking you off the battle field Seven-Sided Strike style (and removing roots) is awesome, for sure, and there can be an argument made for that part of it IMO. Outside of that, though, my experience with and against Genji for ~30 games leads me to believe you just get more out of Dragonblade because it's easier to use.

So I got 10k and eyeing Cassia, is she underpowered confirmed or what?

She's in a good spot now it appears, or will be when her changes are live. Not sure if they are live now or still on PTR til tomorrow.

I wouldn't spend 10k on her at all, though. Since you're a veteran player you may open her up in your loot box rewards tomorrow, or you could use the free 1000 gems they give you to purchase her that way and use the gold to reroll all the loot boxes you get.

Man, they announced the 2.0 stuff waaay too early. Excluding brawls, I haven't played since then, but we're almost there. (+ EU delay)

We played on live a little bit, but for the most part we've just played a decent amount of PTR when we wanted to play. Not having the new shiny's plus the new system really disincentivizing players playing before it launches kind of killed it for the month for me.

brian!

I think organized ppl will have more success w/ dragonblade but the choice here is pretty comp dependent. Dragonstrike does way more damage and works well w/ his kit (you're in there being a priority to kill so you can draw cds with his w) and has killer value paired with any enabler (tass/uther/and so on). For ppl who havent gotten the hang of this aspect, xstrike is fine.

Additionally you can think about skirmish scenarios (which genji controls very well), dragonblade threatens 2v2s or whatever that includes warriors much better than xstrike which is more there to help you delete squishos

Strider

I'm gonna play for a bit tomorrow... Still gotta figure out what bundle I need for the most unlocks tho.

No new heroes will probably get played tho... It's all about the fishbowl head

brian!

Im still trying to sus out genji's build. Have only played like 4 game with him.

1. E speed seems redundant, pathfinder seems bad, so prob agile dismount esp. if you are gank squadding
4. Dunno about this, q talent seems the easiest and most usable, ive gone it every time
7. Ive done deflect cd and spell armor, starting to think spell armor is a bit of a waste since im deflecting when i d in anyway, so maybe reserve that for i decide to get the double d talent
10. Dragonblade is the more fun pick
13. Ive been greeding out with shingan but im sure dbl d is quite good
16. Ive been getting reflect but i also havent run into any good players on ptr who chill when deflect is up, it's still a pretty good talent imo since ive been getting the ref talent at 20
20. Dragon becomes me and zanshin both seem pretty good

Alur

Im still trying to sus out genji's build. Have only played like 4 game with him.

1. E speed seems redundant, pathfinder seems bad, so prob agile dismount esp. if you are gank squadding
4. Dunno about this, q talent seems the easiest and most usable, ive gone it every time
7. Ive done deflect cd and spell armor, starting to think spell armor is a bit of a waste since im deflecting when i d in anyway, so maybe reserve that for i decide to get the double d talent
10. Dragonblade is the more fun pick
13. Ive been greeding out with shingan but im sure dbl d is quite good
16. Ive been getting reflect but i also havent run into any good players on ptr who chill when deflect is up, it's still a pretty good talent imo since ive been getting the ref talent at 20
20. Dragon becomes me and zanshin both seem pretty good

For the level 1 talents, I actually think Pathfinder is great.

It's saved me quite a few times, and allowed me to secure kills pretty often too thanks to that speed boost. Especially on a map like Cursed Hollow or Hanamura where there's a lot of easy shit to jump. The E talent makes no sense. It gives you move speed, but with the amount of slows in the game it's not gonna do much for you evasion wise, and you already stay sticky to targets pretty good anyway so as you said it's redundant there. The mount talented seems completely useless to me. I can't even remember more than a handful of fights I got in where I was mounted beforehand. He pokes, pokes, pokes so much it's just not something you're gonna encounter a lot IMO. Not enough to overcome the utility of Pathfinder at any rate.

Everything else looks like we arrived at the same conclusions.

Spell armor on D seems useless because it goes away so quickly. Pretty much only good against Chromie I think, where you might D away and she might clip you with something anticipating your spot. I took it against one and it saved me twice in one game, but outside of that I dunno what you'd use it for.

I really think his talents are pretty lackluster. His base kit is super good, but the talents don't let you do anything different at all. You can E more often, or D more often, or Q better, or W better...but none of the abilities function differently like they can be made to do in other heroes' kits. That is a bit disappointing, but like proto said yesterday, I'd rather have a strong kit and bad talents like Genji has than a bad kit and talents have to make the hero like an Azmodan, for example.

brian!

Yeah maybe im missing something but his talents seem kind of all over the place, usually you can kinda figure out a hero's goto just by looking at it. For pathfinder i was thinking that it was weird since jumping over a wall usually means you're free but there are offensive uses w/ dragonblade i hadnt considered. Agile dismount seems pretty good, it lets you engage from really far and lets you d out swiftly as well, but it's also kind of "the only one left" in my eyes still. Gotta try pathfinder tho. The e talent is kind of nice in a seeker in the dark kind of way but he really doesn't need it

Ketch

I think the speed when jumping over walls gets value on smaller maps for fast rotations.

Like with that lvl 1, double jump, and just the base range of E on a map like spider queen or braxis or boe. You'd never have to mount and always be ready to snipe people with E

Ketch

I hope it's deathwing and he's a warrior that turns into a dragon.

Dragon knight is one of my favorite dota heroes.

Rhaknar

I have no hype for tomorow
fucking EU

well, except to see Alur rage about all the crap he got in his free loot boxes.

<3

zoukka

Not that excited about 2.0 since I own almost all heroes and play so little of any single one that the default skins are already pretty exciting to me...

Top Bottom