• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima brings his love of photoshoots to Death Stranding 2 with a weird but funny photo mode

XXL

If you've even seen Hideo Kojima's Twitter account, you can probably quite quickly see that the man loves a photoshoot. Seriously, just go on the game developer's media tab, whether it's casual photos with friends and colleagues, or proper fancy ones, he loves 'em. And today, during Kojima Productions' panel for Death Stranding 2 at this year's Tokyo Game Show, some footage for the upcoming sequel was revealed, the most notable bit being that the game has a photo mode, except honestly it's more like a photoshoot mode.

XXL

This is fucking amazing, the animations are unreal

I'm going to spend hours taking pictures in this game.

Death-Stranding-2-On-the-Beach_2024_09-28-24_005.jpg

Last edited:

midnightAI

I love his games, but man sometimes he soend time and money on the stupidest things.
Has Death Stranding 2 been in development an unusually long time and cost more than expected for a game with so many actors in it?

(I never really understood why gamers are so concerned about the cost of games, so long as it makes enough money for the developers so we they can stay afloat and make more games, who cares?)

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Possibly the single greatest photo mode I have ever seen, scratch that, easily the best I have seen. Cringe, no, genius more like. (I'm pretty certain this will only be in very specific locations, beyond that it will most likely be a regular photo mode)

I agree. I see nothing cringe about it. Unique, different and impressive from a graphic fidelity perspective.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I will drop my opinion here (not that it matters to anyone):

Im a huge MGS fan (first 4 games) and I think the more control Kojima gets in his games, the worse they become.

His best game is MGS (PS1) then the quality varied for the next 3 games (personally I like 2,4 then 3) but they are close enough, DS is Sh*t, MGS V was Sh*t .. all MGS spin offs were Sh*t...and

Dude started balooning game budgets with his useless B-Teir Hollywood actors and started using the gaming medium as an entry point to Hollywood!! So its obvious that his passion is no longer this medium!

I kinda understand why Konami sacked him and I believe it was the right choice in the end!

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
<Insert cringey Kojima hate comment here>

Go play your star wars Outlaws then, let the grown ups enjoy the Kojima weirdness. God forbid games just have a bit of fun and not take things so seriously.

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

I hate Star Wars!!

Edit: and I swear MGS series is top 3 as my favorite 🤣.. shheeeesh with those Kojima fangirls 😅

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Of course the people who love it will love it. No hate.
Seems weird to me, even cringy. (Don’t care for photo modes)
I just imagine myself, a 40 year old man. Parading these fake characters around. “Oh look, they are doing such human things!”
With a grin on my face clapping like a seal. *snap*
I think thematically it works. Loneliness, isolation, connection. So meta.

I would just want to tell myself to go make actual friends and form relationships with family and real people.
This crosses into a weird Twitch parasocial relationship territory. Memes, memes everywhere.
I just have never been that rabbid to care like this.
This occupies the same path as AI and sex dolls for me.

I want to tell myself,
“Dude get a life.”

I love Kojima and am always excited to see what he is up to. The game industry is better when crazy creatives like him exist.

Eh. It seems both impressive and cringe to me.
The tech is impressive and possibly the best I've seen for photo modes
The poses and sounds are childlike and possibly the most cringe for photo modes

Aenima

Im just surprized why not more photo modes do this. Its pretty much the way professional photoshoots work, you have the photographer spamming the shutter button while the models keep changing poses. You end up with a wide variety of poses and facial expressions without having to tune in sliders and pick up what pose and what facial expression you want. It gives a bit less control but can deliver more fun and unexpected results.

XXL

Narrative wise, sure. Gameplay wise I don't agree at all. MGS V's gameplay is phenomenal.
Yeah, MGS V's gameplay is phenomenal. I think Death Stranding's gameplay is great too.

I hope DS2 is a bit of a hybrid of both, but I'm good if it's just more DS1 with environmental destruction, better graphics, this level of animation, etc.

I can't wait for the SOP for this game.

Sintoid

At first, second and third viewI thought It was some kind of blooper reel
Then I realized that Kojima, asked if there will be a Photomode, answered:"Hold my beer"

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
He just loves wanking. The MGS games have some photo mode to take sexy photos of the girls.

Embearded

Has Death Stranding 2 been in development an unusually long time and cost more than expected for a game with so many actors in it?

(I never really understood why gamers are so concerned about the cost of games, so long as it makes enough money for the developers so we they can stay afloat and make more games, who cares?)
Considering he is also working on at least two more projects? No i'd say he is on track.

I am not concerned about the cost of the game, but with the what could be left out because of the meaningless stuff they spend money on.
There are a few cutscenes/tapes/features in MGSV that i'd happily trade for the story to feel complete.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I will drop my opinion here (not that it matters to anyone):

Im a huge MGS fan (first 4 games) and I think the more control Kojima gets in his games, the worse they become.

His best game is MGS (PS1) then the quality varied for the next 3 games (personally I like 2,4 then 3) but they are close enough, DS is Sh*t, MGS V was Sh*t .. all MGS spin offs were Sh*t...and

Dude started balooning game budgets with his useless B-Teir Hollywood actors and started using the gaming medium as an entry point to Hollywood!! So its obvious that his passion is no longer this medium!

I kinda understand why Konami sacked him and I believe it was the right choice in the end!
I agree.

God that looks unbearable.

XXL

Some of you need to go around girls IRL.

There is really not much that is overly sexual about this, aside from Elle wearing pajama shorts.

One of them is pregnant! Lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m still not a fan of using celebrities as characters in video games, it makes feel like merchandise rather than a game.

I want original designs in my video games….but I get it, Kojima is huge Hollywood movie fan.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Narrative wise, sure. Gameplay wise I don't agree at all. MGS V's gameplay is phenomenal.

Then name it something else and remove Metal Gear name from it, I loved and bought Metal Gear on certain qualities I trained to like in 1-4 (deep characters, story, long codecs, deep conversations...etc) .. why ignore all this and change it to something else?

Its like changing GTA6 to hack and slash or something radically different.

I couldn't warm up to 5 as much as I tried

Top Bottom