• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High-tech oil rig explodes and sinks in Gulf of Mexico, 11 missing presumed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Condolences to the relatives of the missing.

r2846830064.jpg
capt.photo_1271867706049-1-0.jpg
capt.c0787dc265cb488bab08a13b34872211-c0787dc265cb488bab08a13b34872211-0.jpg

capt.ca075de668444099a37429b6185460fb-4f9d88791d6c420086ab64ae6b61eea2-0.jpg
capt.f41f979a70304c17a52e6a4f9ac71816-f41f979a70304c17a52e6a4f9ac71816-0.jpg
capt.67c8bddee44a45aca12a331803cdf32c-67c8bddee44a45aca12a331803cdf32c-0.jpg

2/3rds of a billion dollars just sank to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

By KEVIN McGILL, Associated Press Writers Kevin Mcgill, Associated Press Writers – 17 mins ago

NEW ORLEANS – An oil platform that burned for more than day after a massive explosion sank into the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

Crews searched by air and water for 11 workers still missing from the Deepwater Horizon, though one relative said family members have been told it's unlikely anyone survived Tuesday night's blast.

Supply vessels had been shooting water into the rig try to control the flames enough to keep it afloat, but couldn't, Coast Guard Petty Officer Katherine McNamara said.

Rescue crews have covered the 1,940-square-mile search area by air 12 times and by boat five times. The boats searched all night, hoping the missing workers might have been able to get to a covered lifeboat with supplies.

Carolyn Kemp of Monterey, La., said her grandson, Roy Wyatt Kemp, 27, was among the missing. She said he would have been on the drilling platform when it exploded.

"They're assuming all those men who were on the platform are dead," Kemp said. "That's the last we've heard."

Other relatives waited anxiously for hourly updates. Family members of one missing worker, Shane Roshto of Amite, Miss., filed a lawsuit in New Orleans on Thursday accusing the rig's owner of negligence. The suit said he was thrown overboard by the explosion and is feared dead, though it did not indicate how family members knew that was what happened.

The suit names Transocean Ltd., which owns the rig, and oil giant BP, which contracted it. A Transocean spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment and BP wouldn't discuss the suit.

The family of Dewey Revette, a 48-year-old from southeast Mississippi, said he was also among the missing. He worked as a driller on the rig and had been with the company for 29 years.

"We're all just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring and hoping for good news. And praying about it," said Revette's 23-year-old daughter, Andrea Cochran.

Transocean Ltd. spokesman Guy Cantwell said 111 workers who made it off the Deepwater Horizon safely after Tuesday night's blast were ashore Thursday, and four others were still on a boat that operates an underwater robot. A robot will eventually be used to stop the flow of oil or gas to the rig, cutting off the fire. He said officials have not decided when that will happen.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_louisiana_oil_rig_explosion

Jamesfrom818 said:
Should I stock up on gas now?
This was not a rig producing oil right now, it was for exploration and trying to get a new field online.

However, this disaster will contribute to a big oil crunch that will hit a couple years down the road.

FreezeSSC

Damn, so is all that oil just leaking into the gulf??

seems pretty ironic if so, today being earth day and all.

also that means that they will need a new kind of facility, a plant if you will, to clean up the damage.......

FreezeSSC said:
Damn, so is all that oil just leaking into the gulf??

seems pretty ironic if so, today being earth day and all.

also that means that they will need a new kind of facility, a plant if you will, to clean up the damage.......

Yeah, ironic on Earth Day. But this really isn't much of an environmental disaster at all. The leakage shouldn't be too bad and they have containment equipment out there already.

andycapps

Really sorry for the families of those involved. Can't wait to see the gas prices jump. Was just finally creeping down to $2.74 in my neck of the woods.

FreezeSSC

speculawyer said:
Yeah, ironic on Earth Day. But this really isn't much of an environmental disaster at all. The leakage shouldn't be too bad and they have containment equipment out there already.

Yea, it was a terrible attempt to reference metal gear solid 2.

UFRA

Well obviously Rico was trying to build up more Chaos points. Guess he went a little too far though.

The fucking comments on the CNN article are just....FACEPALMWHAAARGARBLWTFBBQ?!!!11?!?

What would you do if you knew the US was getting ready to vote on allowing more drilling of oil in the Gulf of Mexico and off the Alaska coast and if that happened, the amount of oil you sell them would be reduced?
You might hire professional to blow up a floating mobile oil rig (52 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana) in the Gulf of Mexico and make it look like an accident. You'd know that this modern rig has safeguards against blow outs (large masses of pressure).
Your objective would be to have oil leaking into the Gulf so that Americans would see this and opinion would sway towards not allowing new drilling in those areas.
The news spoon feeds you data daily. Some is truth, some is not… less

Very suspicious timing that this "accident" occurs shortly after Obama announces more drilling to be allowed and it's been ages since the last US oil rig accident. I think the FBI needs to investigate possible eco-terrorism.

<snipped/>

I'm amazed that this thread managed to sink faster than the platform itself, considering the damage that is going to come to the Gulf Coast/delta because of this.

Madman

WickedAngel said:
I'm amazed that this thread managed to sink faster than the platform itself, considering the damage that is going to come to the Gulf Coast/delta because of this.
Not sexy enough. Tie it in to some political issue or a sex scandal and maybe the news
and GAF
would be interested.

Madman said:
Not sexy enough. Tie it in to some political issue or a sex scandal and maybe the news
and GAF
would be interested.

I see now. All of the conversation actually moved to a newer thread for some reason.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I do IT support for a competing offshore/land rig company. It's been a rough time for alot of folks in this industry. It's a horrible loss, both in terms of human life and millions upon millions of dollars of oil that now looks to be washing onto the Louisiana shore. Just a screwed up thing all around.

WickedAngel said:
thinking the same thing.

ecological disaster.

Madman

WickedAngel said:
I see now. All of the conversation actually moved to a newer thread for some reason.
Heh, I just remembered that thread. I read the first couple posts and moved on.

Just a depressing and disastrous event.

Pimpwerx

I bumped the other thread this morning because it was the first one that showed in the search. After I saw NOAA say the flow was 5x larger than originally claimed, the "oh shit" meter went off in my head. Like I said in the other thread, this'll eclipse Exxon Valdez by mid-June. They're already resorting to burning on Day10. No one wants to say it, but this is a fucking catastrophe. You certainly won't hear the administration play it up too much, since they just opened up new areas for drilling. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom