• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy crap, the PStwo is small

Shompola

Banned
Kiriku said:
I got 50004 (the noticably upgraded PS2 model), and I can't imagine it being anymore quiet than that. You can't tell it's on either.

The 50004 while quiter than previous PS2 revisions is still a noisy bitch. GC is the one wich isn't really noisy. 50004 can not be compared to N64 and other fan less machines.

NohWun

Vertical stand? Make your own! All you need is an old CD, a stack of washers (several with a big hole, one with a small hole), an appropriately-threaded screw, and some superglue (optional: paint).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
NohWun said:
Vertical stand? Make your own! All you need is an old CD, a stack of washers (several with a big hole, one with a small hole), an appropriately-threaded screw, and some superglue (optional: paint).

right on, very punk rock. i was thinking very lazy about this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The 50004 while quiter than previous PS2 revisions is still a noisy bitch.
Then something has to be wrong with yours. I have that PS2 model, and it has to be complete and total silence in the room to hear it working.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit that thing is tiny.

I think I might want to trade my launch unit in for one. It hasn't had a problem yet, but I wouldn't mind an upgrade either.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i wont get one till the mod community tells me i can play imports without a modchip :mad:

shpankey

not an idiot
Sold! That thing is awesome! So small... and I thought GC was small, this makes the GC look like an Xbox! Wow wow. I want it soooo bad!

Ok, it's thin now, so what. It doesn't do anything different so I don't see the big deal.

The small size may appeal to some casual gamers who haven't invested but I just can't understand why someone already with a console would spend money to go buy the same thing, just repackaged. That goes for Sony, Nintendo, and M$ consoles...

If you don't have better use for your money send me a check. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shompola said:
The 50004 while quiter than previous PS2 revisions is still a noisy bitch. GC is the one wich isn't really noisy. 50004 can not be compared to N64 and other fan less machines.

Of course not, but it is pretty quiet. I busted out my DC today, and damn, I had nearly forgotten how LOUD that thing is. Way louder than any of the current systems...

I actually kinda like the noises, though. :p

shpankey

not an idiot
maximum360 said:
Ok, it's thin now, so what. It doesn't do anything different so I don't see the big deal.

The small size may appeal to some casual gamers who haven't invested but I just can't understand why someone already with a console would spend money to go buy the same thing, just repackaged. That goes for Sony, Nintendo, and M$ consoles...

It's smaller, lighter, quieter, cooler. It has a flip top lid instead of the tray, which helps a lot with scratches etc. All attributes which I value. I do not value anything at all about you, therefore no money for you. :)

MassiveAttack said:
I thought Sony wasn't releasing it here until Nov. 1st?

That's their date that it'll be in all stores. Cetain stores will be getting it from not to then, but every store will have it by them.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
maximum360 said:

Trading in my current PS2 and a game or two I'm done with leaves little difference to have to shell out for the new unit, which is why I'm going for it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Yea, really it was a decision to trade my perfectly good online unit while it was still worth basically the whole amount. Because this thing rules. I'm happy I did it. As happy as I can be without having it yet :)

Jumpman

Quick stupid question:

Is the PStwo compatible with all of the old A/V cables (specifically my "Monster Cable" S-Video/Component cables and Digital optical cable)?

AniHawk

How much does Game Rush give you for an old PS2? I might be doing some serious shopping tomorrow if I can get this for a loss of $30 (Including games bought at Gamestop and/or EB- I would have spent upwards of $45 on the Network Adaptor anyway). My only concern is that new Sony systems have had a tendency to die soon. Hopefully that wont be the case.

B'z-chan

Banned
AniHawk said:
How much does Game Rush give you for an old PS2? I might be doing some serious shopping tomorrow if I can get this for a loss of $30 (Including games bought at Gamestop and/or EB- I would have spent upwards of $45 on the Network Adaptor anyway). My only concern is that new Sony systems have had a tendency to die soon. Hopefully that wont be the case.

100 bucks last i checked. which was like today... Where is the freaking hdd attachment or something?

B'z-chan

Banned
AniHawk said:
I don't think there is one for the PSTwo.
Exactly thats why they need to fix this problem then i'll buy one of these bad boys. I still wonder why they couldnt do something like this for my heavy X box.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Shompola said:

Noisy bitch? What are you talking about? It can't be the 50004 model you're using then...or there's something wrong with your console. My GC DEFINITELY makes more noise than my 50004 PS2. Not that the GC is noisy, but my PS2 is really, really silent. As I've mentioned before, only time it makes any noticable noise is when using CD's, and that's the noise from the disc spinning, not the fan.

The fan for the 50004 PS2 model definitely makes the least noise of all the console fans I've ever heard. Of course the N64 is more quiet, I don't even see the point with such a comparison. I thought this was about consoles with fans, after all.

P90

Kiriku said:
Noisy bitch? What are you talking about? It can't be the 50004 model you're using then...or there's something wrong with your console. My GC DEFINITELY makes more noise than my 50004 PS2. Not that the GC is noisy, but my PS2 is really, really silent. As I've mentioned before, only time it makes any noticable noise is when using CD's, and that's the noise from the disc spinning, not the fan.

The fan for the 50004 PS2 model definitely makes the least noise of all the console fans I've ever heard. Of course the N64 is more quiet, I don't even see the point with such a comparison. I thought this was about consoles with fans, after all.

My 500004 model is quiet, but not as quiet as my GC.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
P90 said:
My 500004 model is quiet, but not as quiet as my GC.

That's strange...I did a test today, and my GC is definitely louder than my 50004 PS2. Not loud though, but louder.

Can someone post a comparison picture WITH the power adapter? I certainly don't think it's an issue, as it doesn't seem like a brick or anything, but I'd like to just see how it's size compares.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Schmo Florez said:
SEXY!!!! hey where's Defensor? I'm suprised he hasn't chimed in by now.
I'm right here! Waiting till the end of the month probably to pick this up after the Toyrus "3 for 2" deal.

mosaic

go eat paint
I actually use the power cord from the Xbox (with rounded end) to connect to my PS2 and Dreamcast -- swapping as needed, cuz the power strip is filled with PC stuff and the Cube/stereo. Between that and waiting to get a cheapo HD to take advantage of HDLoader, I'm hanging onto my bulky PS2.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Just got mine. Not only does it look great and not let you play that worthless game FFXI, it jumps out of the box and fellates you as you set the clock.

jasrock1.gif

Who is she? I stare every time I see this avatar. It's driving me nuts. ;_;

Makes you wonder how small they could get the cube if they redesigned it.

I thinking I might not even trade my current PS2 in. It'd be mighty convenient not having to constantly shift the PS2 from telly to telly for playing online, then back upstairs for nice widescreen telly.

Top Bottom