• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

commish said:
I sold it back yesterday. Sold it for what I ultimately paid for it, so I guess I can't complain. I really liked the MP but the crashing was too much for me to stand. Unfortunately, I'm done with THQ or Kaos games because the support has been so terrible.
It's too bad they can't get it together on PS3, I've enjoyed the MP on the 360. I've only had a couple of disconnects, and I've reached level 50 (it really doesn't take super long to do it). I have to say the larger maps with vehicles are much more fun to me then the Suburb/Cul-de-Sac maps, because when the tanks, helis, drones, and everything else start going crazy, it can get pretty fun.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
GitarooMan said:
It's too bad they can't get it together on PS3, I've enjoyed the MP on the 360. I've only had a couple of disconnects, and I've reached level 50 (it really doesn't take super long to do it). I have to say the larger maps with vehicles are much more fun to me then the Suburb/Cul-de-Sac maps, because when the tanks, helis, drones, and everything else start going crazy, it can get pretty fun.

Yeah, I think the 360 version is in much better shape than the PS3 version. It's so hard to actually get into a game on the PS3 because it puts you in half full rooms and never fills them. Then, when you get into a game, it'll freeze within 20 minutes. Repeat for a month, and that's my Homefront experience. I need to buy a 360.

FLEABttn

Banned
commish said:
I sold it back yesterday.

Same, though Sunday for me.

There's something fundamentally broken about some process of THQ or Kaos where it takes a month to identify and submit a fix preventing the multi-player from crashing every 20 minutes.

I'll wait for player impressions next time, Kaos.

Am I the only one having problems getting into a game? It only puts me with one other person. 2/32 players. WTF? Are the servers empty or something? THis is for EVERY game mode. (PS3)

Klocker

TacticalFox88 said:
Am I the only one having problems getting into a game? It only puts me with one other person. 2/32 players. WTF? Are the servers empty or something? THis is for EVERY game mode. (PS3)

check your NAT settings. I was getting that until I rebooted my modem to get open NAT again and connected to tons of people

Double D

Does the patch do anything for single player? I just started playing it the other day, and it really isn't that good. It feels especially slow probably because I'm coming from Bulletstorm.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As many of you may know I am a mod on the Homefront site. We have seen some notes of a patch in Europe for PS3 pop up. If you see this please PM me on here so I can verify it. The patch submitted to Sony is not out yet and we are checking into the legitimacy of the reports of a PS3 patch in Europe.

Any info you Europe Homefront gamers have would be a big help.

Mikey Jr.

Deadly Cyclone said:
As many of you may know I am a mod on the Homefront site. We have seen some notes of a patch in Europe for PS3 pop up. If you see this please PM me on here so I can verify it. The patch submitted to Sony is not out yet and we are checking into the legitimacy of the reports of a PS3 patch in Europe.

Any info you Europe Homefront gamers have would be a big help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru30gf3mT4A&feature=player_embedded

Vik_Vaughn said:
Does the patch do anything for single player? I just started playing it the other day, and it really isn't that good.

Yes, the patch completely reworks the single player. All the old levels have been replaced, you play as Patrick Swayze (I was hoping for Lea Thompson, but then I probably would have spent the whole game staring at my own chest, so oh well) and the game is now approx. 12 hours.

Wow, finally got to play Homefront! The multiplayer is terrific. Really intricate maps, good gunplay and nice variety of options with the loadouts. Good stuff. Looking forward to spending a few nights over the weekend getting to know the game a little more.

Really happy with it, which might surprise some.

Haunted

sparky2112 said:
Yes, the patch completely reworks the single player. All the old levels have been replaced, you play as Patrick Swayze (I was hoping for Lea Thompson, but then I probably would have spent the whole game staring at my own chest, so oh well) and the game is now approx. 12 hours.
sold!

Let it also be known my game is still "locked" behind a preload for some stupid reason, so I had to find the game inside the Steamapps folder and launch it directly from there. No issues connecting with multiplayer and it's logging my playtime.

Ridiculous, Steam. Still, able to play!

Hixx

So tried to play a match for the first time after that PC patch. Everytime after the map finishes loading it crashes to desktop.

Great patch.

Mikey Jr.

Raul_Atreides said:
Hey dudes, for those of us PS3 people still wanting to play this, it looks like they finally released a patch in the US.

http://www.homefront-game.com/blog-post/playstation-3-game-update-released-scea-regions

I've been wanting to get back to this but the level resets and freezes made it difficult; hopefully things are better now? Hopefully they didn't hemorrhage too many players with all the problems(I haven't played since launch week).

Awesome stuff!

Can't find any patch notes though.

desu

Even I dont play this on the ps3, its a shame seeing how long it takes them to fix these problems (yes even with the stupid sony certification thing).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mr. Snrub said:
Looks like lack of info/patches is going to send this to an early grave, if it hasn't already. Anyone still playing?
OnLive version is much worse. Seems like Kaos abandoned this game.

Never again.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Bboy AJ said:
OnLive version is much worse. Seems like Kaos abandoned this game.

Never again.

Not quite true, PS3 has now had 3 patches to date and the Xbox version has had 2, with a third coming in the very near future.

KAOS is continuing to support the game (as is Digital Extremes/KAOS for the PC version), and they are working on getting the patches out as well as DLC for the game.

desu

Deadly Cyclone said:
Not quite true, PS3 has now had 3 patches to date and the Xbox version has had 2, with a third coming in the very near future.

KAOS is continuing to support the game (as is Digital Extremes/KAOS for the PC version), and they are working on getting the patches out as well as DLC for the game.

In all honesty? They are way too slow to get out the patches, they put out a pretty broken game in the first place (pc) with barely any cheat protection. Sorry but this game seems pretty dead on pc already and I dont see people coming back or even buying dlc (unless they release it for free).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Deadly Cyclone said:

I don't know about the console versions. I sold my 360 version asap. But here's a bunch of OnLive glitches. I mean, the key binding one is ridiculous. It would be such a quick and simple fix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opwu0pfx_Gw

They shouldn't worry about DLC just yet. They shipped a broken game with the intent of fixing it up after. And it's going s..lo..w. How about I just pay them $10 to start and pay the rest in installments?

I'm having a stress-free time on PC, and for me, there's plenty of content to keep me entertained.

I tend not to play for extended sessions, nor every day, so that might be the reason. Having a lot of fun thus far, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
desu said:
In all honesty? They are way too slow to get out the patches, they put out a pretty broken game in the first place (pc) with barely any cheat protection. Sorry but this game seems pretty dead on pc already and I dont see people coming back or even buying dlc (unless they release it for free).
The last patch fixed the framerate issues and I had no problems finding full games with good ping even at 3:00AM in the morning. Some of the VAC bans kicked in but I suspect that the worst of the cheaters will move on to griefing Brink, which also uses VAC.

It's probably going to fall lower in the activity list without DLC but I don't see it becoming a complete ghost town in a month like Red Faction: Guerrilla or Section 8.

desu

SapientWolf said:
The last patch fixed the framerate issues and I had no problems finding full games with good ping even at 3:00AM in the morning. Some of the VAC bans kicked in but I suspect that the worst of the cheaters will move on to griefing Brink, which also uses VAC.

I played this quite a few hours pre/post patch and its still freakin riddles with bugs. Especially if you like playing drones, then it turns into a rage fest because youre constantly having problems.

Also when I played all the weapons/extras to expert there were more or less frequent bugs.

I just gave up after a while and I dont really see getting back to this unless there is some huge patches and lots of free dlc.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
desu said:
I played this quite a few hours pre/post patch and its still freakin riddles with bugs. Especially if you like playing drones, then it turns into a rage fest because youre constantly having problems.

Also when I played all the weapons/extras to expert there were more or less frequent bugs.

I just gave up after a while and I dont really see getting back to this unless there is some huge patches and lots of free dlc.
Which drones and weaps have the issues? I haven't noticed anything wrong with the parrot, but people have always had issues with the Rhino. The biggest problem I have now is that the Diablo is now an airsoft, but I guess that was intentional.

desu

SapientWolf said:
Which drones and weaps have the issues? I haven't noticed anything wrong with the parrot, but people have always had issues with the Rhino. The biggest problem I have now is that the Diablo is now an airsoft, but I guess that was intentional.

Dont remember, but I felt the drones felt different between the patches.

Movement of the ground drones is really horrible, youre constantly getting stuck. The anti air drone is the best, I couldnt shot with it before the patch and after the patch it constantly bugged on me. It suddenly wouldnt let me shoot anymore and wouldnt register my kills at all. Don't even want to mention that its like impossibly to kill people with it (I had like 3-5 hits on a person and they just wouldnt die).

As for weapons, SMGsfelt strongly debuffed after the patch. I mean its obvious that some of them needed a downgrade. But heck I did headshots with some weapons and couldnt kill people...

Rocketlaunchers are totally inconsistent as well, shot one guy directly on his feet (which extra perks for damage and range) and he just happly kills me without dying.

Not a bug but the sniper nerf was hilarious, pretty much made it useless to have these weapons.

When leveling the ucav rockets I had it quite a few times that my rockets where just eaten and nothing happened.

Just a few things I remember, I havent played for some time now.

I guess I'm just pissed that they touted their clan/Steam integration and I still can't join a friend's game without knowing the IP or server name. Playing with friends is a big part of shooters for me.

Did they implement the pseudo-"spawn on a friend" feature that was mentioned in the last patch?

desu

Seems they recently released a pc patch:

* Improved quickmatch logic, players will now join populated servers.
* Improved ping queries on servers, player count, gametag info and general server info.
* Limited number of concurrent ping and rules queries, this prevents issues associated with query spam (disconnects on certain ISP's and network hardware).
* The friends list will now display all friends that are in dedicated server games.
* The player list will populate when using the server info option.

Also they are apparently working on a hardcore mode (lol!?) and better anti cheat measures.

So I just scored a copy for 20 bucks. The only problem is that it's a pal promo copy. Does anybody know if the online pass will work if I buy it from the north American store? Is it even worth it?

Spent the evening with Poimandres in a bit of Homefront shooty-shoot TDM and GC. Continues to be a solid and well-paced multiplayer experience. Quite fond of ol' Homefront.

Zimbardo

anybody else getting periodic lag spikes when playing the PC version online now?

i don't remember having that happen before, and i don't seem to have any problems with my internet connection. all other multiplayer games work fine, getting good pings, and my download/upload speeds are normal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dork said:
Is this worth buying still for pc? or 360?
It depends on how much multiplayer you plan on playing, which is where the title really shines. Most of the harshest criticisms were leveled on the brief single player campaign.

chixdiggit

dork said:
Is this worth buying still for pc? or 360?
I would honestly say no. I highly regret buying this for the PC. The campaign was OK fun but far too short. The multiplayer is pretty mediocre as well IMO. I would wait for a big sale.

chixdiggit said:
I would honestly say no. I highly regret buying this for the PC. The campaign was OK fun but far too short. The multiplayer is pretty mediocre as well IMO. I would wait for a big sale.

I'll second that.
Too many bugs and cheaters and the ground drones are a pain to drive.
Everything else is mediocre at best.
I'd play mw2 over it (and I have mw2, and won't play that either).
Can't sell it because it's steamworks unfortunately.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I feel I got my money's worth on the multiplayer, but I guess the online experience is wildly inconsistent. The only recent release I'm aware of that scratches the same action/strategy itch that HF does is Section 8: Prejudice, so I would look into that as well.

I'll be honest. If BF3 goes back to random vehicle re-spawns I'm not interested. That's one of the reasons why I don't play BC2. HF and S8:p have the right idea.

owlbeak

SapientWolf said:
I'll be honest. If BF3 goes back to random vehicle re-spawns I'm not interested. That's one of the reasons why I don't play BC2. HF and S8:p have the right idea.
Just curious, what's so random about the vehicle respawns in BC2?

And that is what bf is all about... zone control.

If you let people spawn their own vehicles there would be no airports or bases to fight over and then you might as well be playing deathmatch in cod.

Bf1942 matches were designed around this, designed really well too.
AA was placed cleverly, maps , mountain ridges and beach landing zones etc all designed around vehicle invasions.

Fighting to control your frontline (and thereby also the bases behind it) only to have some jackass spawn a tank at the other end of the map behind your line? SMH there goes any form of order, teamplay and strategy you may have had.

Matches in bf games 'roll', they escalate, don't want the random shit in there.

The spawning thing works in s8 because with the turret system the game is designed around it, as are the maps.
The spawning system in homefront doesn't work, noone can be arsed with objectives.
Everyone's objective is just to get more drones and airstrikes.

Klocker

screw this game... all of the LAG and cheating spawn kilers and camping sniper/tank/heli whores can all go to hell while I trade this in for Brink.

no patch shitty support ... horrible connections... I really like it and hung in there but this is now chit

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SneakyStephan said:
And that is what bf is all about... zone control.

If you let people spawn their own vehicles there would be no airports or bases to fight over and then you might as well be playing deathmatch in cod.

Bf1942 matches were designed around this, designed really well too.
AA was placed cleverly, maps , mountain ridges and beach landing zones etc all designed around vehicle invasions.

Fighting to control your frontline (and thereby also the bases behind it) only to have some jackass spawn a tank at the other end of the map behind your line? SMH there goes any form of order, teamplay and strategy you may have had.

Matches in bf games 'roll', they escalate, don't want the random shit in there.

The spawning thing works in s8 because with the turret system the game is designed around it, as are the maps.
The spawning system in homefront doesn't work, noone can be arsed with objectives.
Everyone's objective is just to get more drones and airstrikes.
You might as well have anyway. A lot of the pub matches in BF2/BF1942 just devolved into assbutts camping the high profile vehicles while snipers farmed kills from them. The grunts busting their rears on the front lines are the ones that deserve access the hardware, not the REMFs.

If there was teamwork in the BF pubs it was from a rare squad or two. Those are the people that should get the material support because they would do the most good with it.

Numpt3

Klocker said:
screw this game... all of the LAG and cheating spawn kilers and camping sniper/tank/heli whores can all go to hell while I trade this in for Brink.

no patch shitty support ... horrible connections... I really like it and hung in there but this is now chit

I'm starting to feel the same way. Can someone explain why I get knifed to death then the killcam zooms to my killer on the other side of the map? Or I get sniped and it zoom's to the sniper through five buildings between me and him?

The multiplayer is janky as hell.

Mikey Jr.

Klocker said:

Yes, trade for Brink. You wont get any lag there...........

Klocker

Mikey Jr. said:
Yes, trade for Brink. You wont get any lag there...........

only once every 6-8 games then quit, join another and I'm rocking again

I'm betting that game will be fixed before this one. I have all green connections in all of my online games yet this one is red or yellow rubber banding

Top Bottom