• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Details + Voting on Mothership Replica for Collector's Edition

epmode

Even if Cataclysm's source is missing, why can't Gearbox repackage the retail release? You know, code a new installer. It runs fine on my Windows 7 64 system once I set compatibility mode to Win NT 4.

Portman

Glad to hear that this is still happening, I was just thinking about this a few days ago and wondering when there would be an update on it.

As a big fan of the original (have the soundtrack disc and both versions of first game etc) I want the physical goodies (art book please!) and would love to see a vinyl release of the soundtrack (picture vinyl if you go for it Gearbox). As for the statues I'm torn on the price front. I like the idea of the die-cast one for $75 but at the same time I want the larger one with the lighting but it feels like it will be a drop in quality between the two with only $25 being the difference between them. Has anyone owned statues/figures with lighting and had any issues?

Either way I'm getting the collectors edition, just need to make my mind up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I assume dumping models and textures, audio and custscenes off a retail disk isn't an issue, and the engine should be the same as Homeworld's.

So that leaves only scenario and AI programming that would need to be rebuilt from scratch, am I right?

Well, it's not as though as Gearbox has an SDK it can import the content into, even assuming it could faithfully extract the audio-visual assets.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey Gearbox, port this to iOS and I'll suck your dicks off. I used to looooooove Homeworld back in the day. It's time has arrived, we need more space games.

Thanati

Played them all and loved them. Possibly my favorite series.

Please, just take my money and be done with it!!

Keasar

I need that 12 inch/30 cm replica. Homeworld is the most revered game series of everything I have played. I will happily throw my wallet at them for bringing me this.

NIN90

...includes updated high-res textures and models, new graphical effects, and support for HD, UHD, and 4K resolutions...
Please tell me UHD doesn't mean Ultimate HD. I might have to push over a magazine rack if that is the case.

NIN90

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Here are my plans for day 1
- Launch homeworld 1 Multiplayer
- Build bombers
- Attack with bombers in Claw formation
- Repeat

mantidor

Ahem for those of you just joining us...

This is homeworld:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4w50Gs5jZ0

You're welcome.

The only game epic enough to possibly have influenced an Easter egg
(Hell major portions of the plot)
in battlestar galactica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bOy3RNyWME

Which is the same voice as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLNHyvX4tD8

I'm almost sure Battlestar Galactica did it first, I think it's even mentioned in the Homeworld credits in the "thanks" section.

ultron87

So is that part about the multiplayer suggesting we will be able to have Homeworld 1 fleets vs Homeworld 2 fleets? That seems crazy.

I'll be interested to check out the multiplayer because ever since Starcraft 2 my approach to RTS multiplayer has changed drastically, because I actually understand some really important base concepts of the genre now instead of just "build units ahhhhh I'm dead".

mantidor

So is that part about the multiplayer suggesting we will be able to have Homeworld 1 fleets vs Homeworld 2 fleets? That seems crazy.

I'll be interested to check out the multiplayer because ever since Starcraft 2 my approach to RTS multiplayer has changed drastically, because I actually understand some really important base concepts of the genre now instead of just "build units ahhhhh I'm dead".

Homeworld is absolutely amazing in that regard. Many RTS end up being a race to get the most powerful units as quickly as possible and the first one to do so will win the match, in Homeworld, you cannot win with just one type of unit.

well i set that image in the background as my desktop background. seeing that little mothership moving through the vastness of space brings back so many good memories. I'm glad I still have my original copies of the games.

Palehorse

This is something I can get behind. I've wanted a digital release for a long time, and with them putting out this awesome edition? I'm in.

The memories...

Mindlog

I'd rather have a replica Guidestone.
That is a great idea. Classy and discreet. I'm in for Collector's Edition even though the physical good aren't that important to me. Anyone who does right by that IP gets some money from me. I will pay an extra $10 if Ruskay just tells us what Sri Lankan chants were used in HW2's soundtrack.
I'm almost sure Battlestar Galactica did it first, I think it's even mentioned in the Homeworld credits in the "thanks" section.
Homeworld is heavily influenced by BSG. The reference might be about the actor though. That actor is also the voice of the Bentusi. However, he does get around on a lot of Canadian Sci-Fi so it could be a coincidence. I like the soundtrack parallels between some HW and BSG themes.

Munkybhai

I thought HW was supposed to be a game that was going to license BSG, but was unable to obtain it, so they built their own mythology.

Homeworld is heavily influenced by BSG. The reference might be about the actor though. That actor is also the voice of the Bentusi. However, he does get around on a lot of Canadian Sci-Fi so it could be a coincidence. I like the soundtrack parallels between some HW and BSG themes.

Did. RIP.

Maulik

So is everyone going to install the complex mod right away? Also do we know if this is going to be on Steam?

I would also like to ask if anyone is interested in doing some comp stomps (2 v. 3AI) in lieu of straight up competitive.

vazel

Banned
Hopefully the power cord for the 12'' model is detachable. I don't want anything sticking out of it; I just want a simple big model.

Portman

That is a great idea. Classy and discreet. I'm in for Collector's Edition even though the physical good aren't that important to me. Anyone who does right by that IP gets some money from me. I will pay an extra $10 if Ruskay just tells us what Sri Lankan chants were used in HW2's soundtrack.

That soundtrack reference.

I feel in love with that track the moment I heard it in Homeworld 2. Now that I think about it I'd like to have a complete soundtrack to both games since as far as I know there hasn't been one for the 2nd game and I'm not sure if the OST I have for the 1st game is complete or more of an overview of the score.

Also, I've thought about it and I'm going to put my vote in for the 12" model of the Mothership.

Boogdud

I hope they fix the AI in the single player campaign. It was highly annoying. Basically it would just apply "Dave's Double down" every mission. Oh, you built a nice fleet to finish the last mission? Guess what I DOUBLED IT! Oh you have a modest small fleet? Guess what I DOUBLED IT!

That was really the only flaw I could find in the game (though it was a pretty annoying one). Still to this day I think that homeworld had the best art design/mechanical design of any rts.

Portman

I hope they fix the AI in the single player campaign. It was highly annoying. Basically it would just apply "Dave's Double down" every mission. Oh, you built a nice fleet to finish the last mission? Guess what I DOUBLED IT! Oh you have a modest small fleet? Guess what I DOUBLED IT!

That was really the only flaw I could find in the game (though it was a pretty annoying one). Still to this day I think that homeworld had the best art design/mechanical design of any rts.

That was done in the second game to compensate for the players that built up their forces at the end of a mission before starting the next one in the original game.

It made the second one tougher but I feel that it accomplished what they were after with the idea of the Hiigarans being on the run from the Vaygr the entire time.

Maulik

Best thing about hw2 was how smaller fighters and corvettes came in squads. Though I really wish the subsystem damage modeling was reworked. Took too much to take out subsystems rather than blow the whole ship up.

Portman

What's the base price of the non collector's edition so I can gauge how much the extra stuff is costing?

Haven't seen anything official about the prices yet but I'm telling myself that they will be around $20 each. If they cost more then it makes the justification (for me) easier on the CE although I'll guess they'll be around the $20 mark since that would give them more profit for the CE stuff. Although this could be like the Sins Rebellion CE where Stardock made them in a small batch and the goodies cost more for specific stuff.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Any better pictures of the replicas?
I like the idea of the 6" model because I think there is a better chance it will be cleaner looking but I want to see the level of detail.

For the 12" I want to see the quality up close.

Of course these are just targets and not indicative of the final product but I want to see what their goal is.

Top Bottom