• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror fan community.

poodaddy

Some my recommendations:
Hereditary (2018) - for the fans of "classic" satanic themes.
Empty Man (2020) - after the prologoue (which could shorto horror film on its own), it starts looking like cliched "psycho ghost is killing stupid teens" movie, but it develops into something much more eldritch.
Absentia (2011) - nearly zero gore, except one of the last scenes which can be shocking (especially for women).
Colour out of space (2019) - my favourite movie amongs horrors which are not just Lovecraft-inspired, but direct adaptations of his work (well, there are some changes, but still it is cool).
I've been thinking about checking out Color Out of Space for a couple years now, so it's good to see that it's that good. Gonna have to see if it's on sale on some platform.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Some my recommendations:
Hereditary (2018) - for the fans of "classic" satanic themes.
Empty Man (2020) - after the prologoue (which could shorto horror film on its own), it starts looking like cliched "psycho ghost is killing stupid teens" movie, but it develops into something much more eldritch.
Absentia (2011) - nearly zero gore, except one of the last scenes which can be shocking (especially for women).
Colour out of space (2019) - my favourite movie amongs horrors which are not just Lovecraft-inspired, but direct adaptations of his work (well, there are some changes, but still it is cool).

The Empty Man came so close to greatness during its second and third acts, but never quite committed to any of the concepts it flirted with (such as the cosmic horror). Agreed that it's still a great horror watch though.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
6FRvub4.jpg

When Evil Lurks: A+

This movie has it's flaws but this was still a tense ride. Such an interesting concept. Not to mention I felt like there was a viciousness during the whole movie that made it hard to watch. When certain scenes sneak up on you they leave an impact. That's all I'm saying on it. I went in watching it blind not even watching a trailer before. This was a pleasant surprise since I'm usually really picky when it comes to Horror

Last edited:

drotahorror

6FRvub4.jpg

This movie has it's flaws but this was still a tense ride. Such an interesting concept. Not to mention I felt like there was a viciousness during the whole movie that made it hard to watch. When certain scenes sneak up on you they leave an impact. That's all I'm saying on it. I went in watching it blind not even watching a trailer before. This was a pleasant surprise since I'm usually really picky when it comes to Horror
Demian Rugna's other movie, "Terrified" is pretty good too. I knew When Evil Lurks was going to be one to watch for. I liked it as well.

Doczu

Anyone watched the Guilermo del Toro horror stories on Netflix? If not i easily recommend episodes 1-3 and episode 5. A must for Lovecraft/cosmic horror fans.

And my god "Autopsy" (episode 3) is the besto of them all. Fucking teryfying

Jooxed

Gold Member
6FRvub4.jpg

TikTok made watch this. Haven't had a horror movie make me say what the fuck out loud in a while.

drotahorror

2024 horror
*i take back my original rating on Late Night. just compared it to all the other bullshit to come out this year.

on a 10 scale i would give it a 6.5/10

Night Swim - 1.5/5
Watchers - 2.5/5
Abigail - 3/5
The Strangers Chapter 1 - 1.5/5
Tarot - 1/5
The First Omen - 2.5/5
In a Violent Nature - 1.5/5
Maxxxine - 2.5/5
Late Night With The Devil - 3.5/5
A Quiet Place Day One - 3/5

Some stuff to look forward to still, but not looking good. I don't know wtf these morons are doing with horror but it sucks ass.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
2024 horror

Night Swim - 1.5/5
Watchers - 2.5/5
Abigail - 3/5
The Strangers Chapter 1 - 1.5/5
Tarot - 1/5
The First Omen - 2.5/5
In a Violent Nature - 1.5/5
Maxxxine - 2.5/5
Late Night With The Devil - 4/5
A Quiet Place Day One - 3/5

Some stuff to look forward to still, but not looking good. I don't know wtf these morons are doing with horror but it sucks ass.
Late night with the Devil is the one on your list I've seen so far and it was a 2 at best. Haven't seen The First Omen yet but I've heard good things about it. What do you consider good horror?

Last edited:

drotahorror

Late night with the Devil is the one on your list I've seen so far and it was a 2 at best. Haven't seen The First Omen yet but I've heard good things about it. What do you consider good horror?
I changed rating to 3.5/5. I was giving it a higher score really just based on the other garbage to come out this year. On a 10 scale I would say 6.5/10.

I'm really into horror so asking me to make a list will be pretty time consuming but I'll give a bit of a list.

I think maybe I'm a bit jaded or something lately with horror films. I do think there was quite a bit of great horror from the 60's and earlier all the way til around 2020. Not sure what happened since. The last 3 or 4 years of horror have been dreadful to me and my wife too honestly.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I changed rating to 3.5/5. I was giving it a higher score really just based on the other garbage to come out this year. On a 10 scale I would say 6.5/10.

I'm really into horror so asking me to make a list will be pretty time consuming but I'll give a bit of a list.

I think maybe I'm a bit jaded or something lately with horror films. I do think there was quite a bit of great horror from the 60's and earlier all the way til around 2020. Not sure what happened since. The last 3 or 4 years of horror have been dreadful to me and my wife too honestly.
I'm not real familiar with 60's horror apart from the classics like Rosemary's Baby, the Birds, Psycho. I like 70's horror. Hate 80's horror for the most part. Was there even horror in the 90's and 00's? I like modern horror the best like The Witch, Saint Maud, Let The Right One in, When Evil Lurks, Talk to Me.

drotahorror

I'm not real familiar with 60's horror apart from the classics like Rosemary's Baby, the Birds, Psycho. I like 70's horror. Hate 80's horror for the most part. Was there even horror in the 90's and 00's? I like modern horror the best like The Witch, Saint Maud, Let The Right One in, When Evil Lurks, Talk to Me.

I enjoyed When Evil Lurks (I liked his previous movie Terrified better). Talk to Me was the best horror movie of 2023 by far.

90's I thought was always pretty weak. But some stand outs like From Dusk til Dawn, Scream 1, Event Horizon, Demon Knight (so fun), to name a few.

Early 2000's though, American Psycho, 28 Days Later, REC, House of 1k Corpses, Planet Terror, Trick R Treat, Drag Me To Hell, The Hills Have Eyes (remake), High Tension, Inside (french movie), The Descent to name a few as well. (I keep coming across some really solid ones while looking around making this post)

My favorite horror movies that I can watch anytime though?

Planet Terror, Evil Dead 2013, original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing, Tucker and Dale, plenty others that I can watch again and have no gripes.

Saw Longlegs on Monday.... 2.5/5. Pacing was really bad. Not enough Cage. Glad it's doing well though, Cage and Maika deserve it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I enjoyed When Evil Lurks (I liked his previous movie Terrified better). Talk to Me was the best horror movie of 2023 by far.

90's I thought was always pretty weak. But some stand outs like From Dusk til Dawn, Scream 1, Event Horizon, Demon Knight (so fun), to name a few.

Early 2000's though, American Psycho, 28 Days Later, REC, House of 1k Corpses, Planet Terror, Trick R Treat, Drag Me To Hell, The Hills Have Eyes (remake), High Tension, Inside (french movie), The Descent to name a few as well. (I keep coming across some really solid ones while looking around making this post)

My favorite horror movies that I can watch anytime though?

Planet Terror, Evil Dead 2013, original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing, Tucker and Dale, plenty others that I can watch again and have no gripes.

Saw Longlegs on Monday.... 2.5/5. Pacing was really bad. Not enough Cage. Glad it's doing well though, Cage and Maika deserve it.
Ooh I had forgotten when Rec and 28 days later came out, I love those two. I hated high tension High Tension.

drotahorror

Ooh I had forgotten when Rec and 28 days later came out, I love those two. I hated high tension High Tension.

I loved the whole french extremity movement. Haute Tension was one of the first I saw and I loved the violence in it. Same thing with Inside. Then you have Martyrs, Frontieres, and a few others I can't recall. Cannot recommend english version of High Tension. Dialogue is terrible.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I loved the whole french extremity movement. Haute Tension was one of the first I saw and I loved the violence in it. Same thing with Inside. Then you have Martyrs, Frontieres, and a few others I can't recall. Cannot recommend english version of High Tension. Dialogue is terrible.
I always watch foreign films with subtitles. It was the ending that ruined it for me and many others. The guy was even getting death threats for that ending.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I always watch foreign films with subtitles. It was the ending that ruined it for me and many others. The guy was even getting death threats for that ending.
Aja was getting death threats for that? wtf. like yeah it was a cop out but the rest of the movie was great imo, minus first kill of the husband at beginning. knocking his head off with the chest or w/e was silly.

some smart thinking from the blonde in the beginning (disregarding the ending). makes her bed, puts shit away makes the room look unoccupied. some good kills after that, the throat slit was easily the best I've seen in a movie. and then she's not even dead, very graphic.

my wife can have the movie ruined by endings. i'm not like that. if 80% of the movie was good, and ending sucked, it's still enjoyable and decent to me.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Aja was getting death threats for that? wtf. like yeah it was a cop out but the rest of the movie was great imo, minus first kill of the husband at beginning. knocking his head off with the chest or w/e was silly.

some smart thinking from the blonde in the beginning (disregarding the ending). makes her bed, puts shit away makes the room look unoccupied. some good kills after that, the throat slit was easily the best I've seen in a movie. and then she's not even dead, very graphic.

my wife can have the movie ruined by endings. i'm not like that. if 80% of the movie was good, and ending sucked, it's still enjoyable and decent to me.
Yeah I enjoyed it till the end could have been a classic with my a better ending

The 60's also had Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead, and Peeping Tom.

The 80's had Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th, Poltergeist, Pet Semetary, The Fly, The Hitcher, The Evil Dead, The Shining, Hellraiser, Zombi 3, Phantasm II, and The House by the Cemetery.

The 90's had The Exorcist III, It, Jacob's Ladder, Tremors, Candyman, In The Mouth Of Madness, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Wishmaster, Mimic, Ringu, Event Horizon, Cronos, and Scream.

Beyond the mentioned, 2000's had Autopsy, Joy Ride, Wrong Turn, FeardotCom, Ginger Snaps, Gothica, Tales of Terror: Haunted Apartment, Pulse, Art Of The Devil 2, Dark Water (2002), Phobia 2, Cloverfield, The Signal (2007), The Collector, The Mist, Session 9, Cabin Fever, Hostel, The Skeleton Key, Dagon, and Final Destination.

I have not seen any good 2020's horror films, but in the 2010's Livid, Coherence, Grave Encounters, Wolf Creek 2, The Cabin In The Woods, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Chernobyl Diaries, It, The Shrine, As Above So Below, Cabin Fever: Patient Zero, V/H/S 2, and The Void were all very competent.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The 60's also had Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead, and Peeping Tom.

The 80's had Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th, Poltergeist, Pet Semetary, The Fly, The Hitcher, The Evil Dead, The Shining, Hellraiser, Zombi 3, Phantasm II, and The House by the Cemetery.

The 90's had The Exorcist III, It, Jacob's Ladder, Tremors, Candyman, In The Mouth Of Madness, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Wishmaster, Mimic, Ringu, Event Horizon, Cronos, and Scream.

Beyond the mentioned, 2000's had Autopsy, Joy Ride, Wrong Turn, FeardotCom, Ginger Snaps, Gothica, Tales of Terror: Haunted Apartment, Pulse, Art Of The Devil 2, Dark Water (2002), Phobia 2, Cloverfield, The Signal (2007), The Collector, The Mist, Session 9, Cabin Fever, Hostel, The Skeleton Key, Dagon, and Final Destination.

I have not seen any good 2020's horror films, but in the 2010's Livid, Coherence, Grave Encounters, Wolf Creek 2, The Cabin In The Woods, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Chernobyl Diaries, It, The Shrine, As Above So Below, Cabin Fever: Patient Zero, V/H/S 2, and The Void.
Out of the ones you listed 80's these are the ones I liked Friday the 13th, The Shining, Hellraiser. 90's Exorcist lll, Ringu, Event Horizon. 00's Pulse/Kairo, Cloverfield, Cabin Fever.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
NeverYouMind NeverYouMind here are some 2020's movies I've enjoyed Possessor, When Evil Lurks, Talk To Me, Pearl, Barbarian, Relic, The Dark and The Wicked, Night House, You Are Not My Mother, The Medium, Incantation.

I haven't seen the Omen prequel, Longlegs or Arcadian but Ive heard good things about those.

I almost forgot my favorite horror film of the 00's Lake Mungo

Last edited:
NeverYouMind NeverYouMind here are some 2020's movies I've enjoyed Possessor, When Evil Lurks, Talk To Me, Pearl, Barbarian, Relic, The Dark and The Wicked, Night House, You Are Not My Mother, The Medium, Incantation.

I haven't seen the Omen prequel, Longlegs or Arcadian but Ive heard good things about those.

I almost forgot my favorite horror film of the 00's Lake Mungo
I will browse the plots of those to see if they are for me. Thanks.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I watched Cellphone (2023) a few weeks ago. A pretty unimaginative plot that reminded me of the technology-focused cheap teeny bopper shovelware horror films of the mid 2010's.

Things finally get interesting during the tail end of the final act. The lead actress's hitherto listless performance suddenly transforms into something that is finally interesting and tense when a surprising (and entirely random) plot twist is introduced. And then it abruptly ends about ten minutes later.

Not recommended unless you want to just zone out while sparking some live and maybe get a little creeped out at in the final fifteen or so minutes.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

I'm about to watch this. I'm the only one in the entire theater

It was a good slow burn, it was creepy I liked the cinematography and acting but it fell apart toward the end in my opinion. I'd give it a 7/10.
I still prefer Caveat Damian McCarthy's previous film over Oddity.

Last edited:
I've been rewatching the Final Destination movies and I gotta say I still think these first three in particular are some of the most effective horror movies. Whilst they aren't 'scary' as such, they just give me such a profound sense of anxiety and dread like no other. Like, they really do tap in to your mind and make you afraid of everyday scenarios.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President

I'm about to watch this. I'm the only one in the entire theater

It was a good slow burn, it was creepy I liked the cinematography and acting but it fell apart toward the end in my opinion. I'd give it a 7/10.
I still prefer Caveat Damian McCarthy's previous film over Oddity.

l4JpUmY.jpeg

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I've been rewatching the Final Destination movies and I gotta say I still think these first three in particular are some of the most effective horror movies. Whilst they aren't 'scary' as such, they just give me such a profound sense of anxiety and dread like no other. Like, they really do tap in to your mind and make you afraid of everyday scenarios.

Even though I wasn't a fan of the movies, my favorite Death in that franchise will always be the Gyminist

Last edited:
Top Bottom