• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Silent Hill 2 remake is like fresh paint' Bloober 3.0

MiguelItUp

It would be neat if this was amazing. But I really don't know how to feel or what to expect. A lot of things about it are pointing to not so good IMO. But then there are times where it seems it may not be... that bad. I love the original a ton, and this game won't change that at all. There's just so much that looks and seems real off.

SCB3

This analogy is plain wrong, a "Fresh coat of paint" on a classic would be something like the recent Tomb Raider Remasters or even Demons Souls on PS5, just as playable as the Originals with new QoL features and new Graphics but fundamentally the same game under the hood

A remake like Bloobers here is gonna be a new interpretation of the original game, much like the RE remakes are, I'm going in with a open mind but if I'm honest I'd rather have both available on Modern systems

I love Silent Hill 2, so I'm really hoping this turns out great. I love Halloween and it'd be nice to have a great new game to play around that time.

if they're simply copy/pasting, why so much talk about 'innovating'? let me ask you: were you copy/pasting stuff, would you tell anyone asking you what you're up to that you were 'innovating'?...

Im pretty sure they are talking about quality-of-life improvements gameplay-wise. No way would Konami allow them to "innovate" as in change it all up, one of the most beloved sequels ever.

Arachnid

This is Bloobers last chance for me, personally. I've played all their games except Observer and greatly disliked them all.

If they fuck up Silent Hill 2, it's gg

This is Bloobers last chance for me, personally. I've played all their games except Observer and greatly disliked them all.

If they fuck up Silent Hill 2, it's gg
Bloober are getting a lot of work based off very little solid work (and I enjoyed the Medium) and I'm not sure why 🤔

Im pretty sure they are talking about quality-of-life improvements gameplay-wise. No way would Konami allow them to "innovate" as in change it all up, one of the most beloved sequels ever.
well, if you're correct, then they maybe should simply mention 'gameplay improvements', rather than 'innovating', a word which has somewhat different connotations...

Bloober are getting a lot of work based off very little solid work (and I enjoyed the Medium) and I'm not sure why 🤔
I have no evidence for this but it must be bargain bin shopping + superfan dev. I'm almost willing to put money on them having been much cheaper for this project than other solutions given the fact they just had made a SH ripoff game and they probably jizzed at the mere idea.

Again I might be pulling that out of my ass but it seems like a reasonable assumption also considering the rest of the devs involved in the SH "revival" are bargain bin as fuck and the fact Konami has zero standards.

I have no evidence for this but it must be bargain bin shopping + superfan dev. I'm almost willing to put money on them having been much cheaper for this project than other solutions given the fact they just had made a SH ripoff game and they probably jizzed at the mere idea.

Again I might be pulling that out of my ass but it seems like a reasonable assumption also considering the rest of the devs involved in the SH "revival" are bargain bin as fuck and the fact Konami has zero standards.
I bet they don’t want to take a big risk and have an AAA developer make one and have it not pay off. So instead of a big budget “movie” we are getting “B Movies”. I think they should have just took the risk and did one big budget AAA original, and one AAA remake, but they are chasing low risk high reward

Last edited:

peek

I bet the atmosphere will be fine, knowing their track record. But gameplay wise... uh... not sure these devs about that. And the last trailer I saw looked jank.

Bloober are proper fucken gangsters. They got the heavy gear, and they’ll deliver. This game is going to be immense, can’t wait.
It's going to be interesting because the first 4 games were not really successful (and the western ones were kind of mid I guess). is this remake going to be massive or a complete flop by today's standards?

It's going to be interesting because the first 4 games were not really successful (and the western ones were kind of mid I guess). is this remake going to be massive or a complete flop by today's standards?
I wouldn't be surprised if it sold totally fine but Konami having some outrageous Resi level sales figure in their head. Then again it's hard to assume the franchise's commercial pull these days. I think the mythology and monster design and all is way bigger than the actual games were by now so maybe that'll pull in an unexpected amount of new players?

Last edited:
I salute your optimism but it's no secret Bloober's track record is overwhelmingly mediocre at best. I understand Silent Hill fans need a win for the first time in 15 years and so do I, but let's not pretend they're not a super mid developer.

But who knows, maybe this time they will deliver.

Blooper are known for good atmosphere and crap combat. That basically describes every Silent Hill game I’ve ever played, so I’m hopeful.

This plays into their history. Plus, the story is already written.

Last edited:
Top Bottom