• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut (PS3) |OT| Bigger, longer, deeper, harder

Risk Breaker said:
I got this for reviewing purposes and I'm loving it. Really making me want to buy Move :/ I guess it works well with it?

You are going to review it without move? heh

Can't you borrow a move unit from someone? Not really going to feel like a complete review if you only play with dual shock.

Risk Breaker said:
I got this for reviewing purposes and I'm loving it. Really making me want to buy Move :/ I guess it works well with it?
Haha much better than the controller, I would imagine. Yeah it works very well.

PuppetSlave said:
You are going to review it without move? heh

Can't you borrow a move unit from someone? Not really going to feel like a complete review if you only play with dual shock.

Yeah, unfortunately nobody with Move wanted to review it (why??), so I didn't have much of a choice when they shoved me the game :p I'm looking into buying one or two, though.

Thanks Neuromancer :)

onken

My copy arrived today, pretty fun! Move is snappy and works really well. Only played it for about 20 minutes but looking forward to getting some more play time in the next few days.

I bought two moves a few days ago and I completed it today. Played some director's cut afterwards.

Awesome game with awesome characters, dialogues and music <3 So glad this extended cut was made.

Grisby

So how does this control without Move?

Don't laugh. I played Extraction with a controller and had fun. Is this relatively alright with a Dual Shock?

So I played the game with a friend for a few levels and finished it. I'm now working my way slowly through the director's cut. Awesome, awesome game. Using the slide grip thing on the Sharpshooter is a ton of fun, and of course the dialogue is top notch.

My only real complaint is the prisoner zombies who run up to you and grapple with you until you 'shoot' targets on your body, and then watch a little execution movie play out. It's basically a light gun QTE and they take way too long, really disrupting the flow and forward movement of the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is this worth a rebuy even though I have the Wii version? I love the game to death but if it's just bett graphics then I'll wait for a price drop.

I also had the Wii version. There are two whole new levels that weren't in the Wii version, and some things have changed in terms of scoring/money, but it's not all that different in the grand scheme of things.

Carl

This game is now only £27.99 on the UK PSN Store. That's cheaper than any retailer is selling it. Good bargain. Might pick it up.

ChryZ

I cut my left thumb last week. Gaming with d-pad and analog stick was out of the question. Time for some "lightgun" Move gaming. Woah, this one is all kinds of wrong and awesome. Dumb, corny, hilarious fun. Cold beer in my left hand, Move in the right and a fat grin on my face. Good times.

I bit on that amazon.co.uk deal, had only time for the first level so far but this game is really fun :D All that grindhouse stuff puts a big grin on my face.

I play with the sharpshooter, I'm glad that the reloading functions work (unlike the pistol cases you usually hold the sharpshooter with both hands so I have the second hand on the barrel for pump action reloading :D ).

I really like that you can disable the reticle! Makes it quite a bit harder but also more fun with Move+gun case.

gore feels a bit weak, I remember playing whatever HotD title in the arcades in my childhood and you would get wounds on / junks of meat off the zombies with each hit etc.

oh and kinda neat that they packed in two pairs of HotD-themed red/blue glasses :D (I don't think I will play in this mode though)

Haint

So is there a title update (*glares at Resistance 3*) to fix the 3D in this, or is it going to stay broken forever? The reticle is static, always existing at the zero parallax (monitor surface) resulting in it being completely doubled when viewing an object in the positive parallax ("inside" the display)--which is pretty much all the time. For a cursor based shooter to work in 3D, the reticle has to be dynamic, shifting it's depth depending on what you're aiming at. Here it remains static, making aiming impossible and rendering the 3D mode unplayable. 5 minutes testing a game should have revealed this to be a problem. R3 launched with the same issue when paired with Move.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The game hints at it being
Gwendolyn
. Hence why he never tells it to anyone.

It doesn't hint at that at all. It was a plain joke. :p

I wonder if this expands on the secret Caeser tape in the original.

Wickwire

I just bought this game and noticed that the crosshairs lag at times and aren't as accurate as I hoped. Is this an issue with the game or maybe my Move calibration? Its not going to stop me from playing but it is annoying. My PSeye is at the top of my tv which is about 6' on the wall. I have the camera lens pointed downwards as possible.

Tokubetsu

I just rented this and wow, I'm about to go buy this motherfucking game. Thinking about grabbing move too, fuck it. I am in love, and fell hard. Soundtrack is god damn amazing as well, is that available anywhere?

Also, I know the game uses the classic 3D system, anyone want to link a brother to a decent pair on amazing? Swag me out.

Yes, thanks. You rock these? Did you use move or controller?
No I have a shitty set of paper ones that came with another game, these look much better and more comfortable.

I use the move with the sharpshooter, it's fucking awesome. The 3D made my head spin after a bit so once the novelty of it wore off I stopped using it. It is fun for a while though.

Tizoc

How does this game play like with a PS3 Controller? Is it mych easier/comfortable to play with a Move instead?

Tokubetsu

How does this game play like with a PS3 Controller? Is it mych easier/comfortable to play with a Move instead?

Biggest probelm I've encountered is I tend to miss the collectable stuff. Mainly becuase they're small, and the window to hit them is small so I always realize they're on screen too late.

Half a year later and Ive finally finished the directors cut, not much else to do with this game except unlock more guns. Overall I loved it as I did the Wii version, my only complaint really is the QTE/prison dudes. Those guys get old pretty fast and really slow down the pace of the game.

I'd pay $60 for a sequel if Headstrong made one. I wonder what they're working on now.

How is the PSN version of HotD4 compared to this? In terms of graphics and difficulty I guess.

Edit: looking back I see I already complained about the QTEs, oops

Tizoc

Whats the best weapon in the game? Got it off US PSN recently since its on sale, adn the main gun isn't very strong lol.

Tizoc

Probably the automatic shotgun but it may not be available until later in the game.

Hmm I saw that it can be purchased before the start of a level.
I think a better question I should've asked is how should I go about upgrading and purchasing weapons.

I just got this game too and I'm enjoying it. I usually dislike these kind of games, but for 5 bucks I figure it's worth at least one playthrough. The shooting feels good, enemies aren't cheap and the bosses are well designed. Halfway through now. I've only used the default pistol and have been upgrading that and it seems to working well. I don't know if other difficulty or modes require different guns.

breakfuss

Picked this up on a whim during a recent PSN sale and finally fired it up last night. I used to love these kind of games in the arcade but never felt like anything came close to capturing the experience at home. This may be the closest I've come. I have the sharpshooter (move) attachment and it is a blast. Also, I didn't realize the humor was this crude, lolol. Thought it was just another mindless zombie game but I was laughing pretty hard. Cool game.

Top Bottom